SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What has actually picked my interest is Rockruff's eyes glowing green rather than Red (Midnight) or Blue (Midday) in the preview as the sun set. They're gonna give it a different form, aren't they? :/
I REALLY hope they don't do that. I don't understand why they feel the need to give Ash's pokemon special forms.
Because Ash is a special snowflake...
At least it's also in the next games too.

I love this thing. Also, it's not like they're giving Ash a special form. In the datamine for SM, there was space for a third Lycanroc form.

Also, the episode with the Hiker was amazing. I laughed my butt off in the final photos.

Kinda disappointed by the design. There is barely anything from the Midnight Form feeling just like a recolor. Though I love the choice of color.

haha, called it. Dusk Lycanrock is basically its Midday Form but orange and with a mohawk. OK.

However, with this I'm 99% sure that the anime really isn't following SM's script, but rather USUM's, which explains a lot of things. Like why Cosmog hasn't become a critical part of the plot yet ( in USUM I'm confident it won't be as important as it was in SM, making room for Necrozma instead ).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
However, with this I'm 99% sure that the anime really isn't following SM's script, but rather USUM's, which explains a lot of things. Like why Cosmog hasn't become a critical part of the plot yet ( in USUM I'm confident it won't be as important as it was in SM, making room for Necrozma instead ).
I doubt that. If there was a plan, it would be to keep things as generic as possible until the 2nd paired versions are release until they decide on what story to do. Yeah, they probably have some inside information, like maybe able to plan for Ash's Rockruff to have a new Lycanroc form, but I doubt they would get enough story information to develop the anime's story around USUM. Also, if we have been following the plot of USUM, then wow these games are going to be boring.

The question is... Will there be a dawn form?
I doubt that (part 2). Ash already got his special Lycanroc so unless they're going to introduce another character, maybe a new rival or reveal Kukui does have a Lycanroc of his own, all the main characters with a Lycanroc have shown up (Gladion has Midnight, Olivia has Midday, and now Ash had Dusk).

Kinda disappointed by the design. There is barely anything from the Midnight Form feeling just like a recolor. Though I love the choice of color.
If there was a Dawn Lycanroc would probably be a yellow Midnight without messy hair.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's here!
Yeah, Gen IV's playable female was the second thing I thought of when I was trying to think of a joke. My first thought was Kingdom Hearts constant use of dust and dawn as an analogy, especially the phrase "Way To Dawn". :P

The question is... Will there be a dawn form?
Uh, why would there be? Dusk = Day to Night, Dawn = Night to Day. They're essentially the same; when the sun is found just above/below the horizon. It's like saying 2 + 1 is different from 1 + 2. I won't say it won't happen 'cause duh, Game Freak, but having two different forms reacting to the same phenomenon would be stupid. Besides, who would be special enough to showcase a "Dawn" form in the anime as a parallel to our precious little Ash? ( inb4 Hau uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh )

IMO, Twilight Lycanroc would've been a better name. YES, Twilight IS a cool word. Fuck you Stephenie Meyer.

Also, if we have been following the plot of USUM, then wow these games are going to be boring.
I mean, they're just past the 1st island and the 1st island in SM wasn't exactly spectacular either...

I would not be surprised to see Dusk-Lycanroc to (A) be Ash-Greninja 3.0 (since Blaze Infernape was technically the first for gimmicks) and (B) lose any sort of personality it once had.

Sure it makes some sense since the green flash is a rare occurance but it's painfully obvious it's only Ash who is going to have it because he's our wonderful special snowflake that can't seem to catch a break in any league he participates in.

Please surprise me and be an affectionate and likeable doggo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I would not be surprised to see Dusk-Lycanroc to (A) be Ash-Greninja 3.0 (since Blaze Infernape was technically the first for gimmicks) and (B) lose any sort of personality it once had.

Sure it makes some sense since the green flash is a rare occurance but it's painfully obvious it's only Ash who is going to have it because he's our wonderful special snowflake that can't seem to catch a break in any league he participates in.

Eh, Infernape I can forgive since it just so happened that it went ballistic when Blaze activated, it was a personality trait rather then its own super form. Similar with how Misty's Psyduck became a psychic juggernaut when its headache is at its peak.

I am curios to see how Rockruff's personality will change. Does seem kind of generic for it to just become a loyal dog, wouldn't mind if it maybe kept some of its wild behavior (it is a wolf after all).

And gets stomped in the league to preserve the status quo :-)
What League. :P

Technically the first gimmick mon Ash had that became relevant ingame was Ash heracross and his guts, it later became an ability in gen3.

The one they'll open at the end of the season so Ash can get his triyearly loss. Traditions are important!
Yeah, it'll be something along the lines of "All who've completed the Grand Trials may participate". I'm already predicting that Ash vs Gladion willl be endgame. And idk, I believe Ash might actually end up winning this one. The anime has already broken many traditions of previous seasons, so why not this one? Ash's far more likely to win something now than he ever was in XY&Z.

Technically the first gimmick mon Ash had that became relevant ingame was Ash heracross and his guts, it later became an ability in gen3.
TIL

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Eh, Infernape I can forgive since it just so happened that it went ballistic when Blaze activated, it was a personality trait rather then its own super form. Similar with how Misty's Psyduck became a psychic juggernaut when its headache is at its peak.
I just had an epiphany.

Misty's Psyduck must have had the ability Zen Mode two generations before abilities were a thing, and four generations before Darmanitan ever graced the stage.

What ? In which episode ?
I think Norne is referring to Ash vs. Gary's Johto League 6v6 match, where Ash's Heracross withstood some intense close-range Fire-type attacks from Gary's Magmar and retaliated with an overpowering Megahorn. The announcer makes a comment shortly after about Heracross knocking out Magmar with "guts" alone.

I think Norne is referring to Ash vs. Gary's Johto League 6v6 match, where Ash's Heracross withstood some intense close-range Fire-type attacks from Gary's Magmar and retaliated with an overpowering Megahorn. The announcer makes a comment shortly after about Heracross knocking out Magmar with "guts" alone.
Yep. I went as far as asking folks that watched it in Japanese and they commented on how they used guts in the same way as it is ponounced for the ability ingame.

Although the first time we see the ability activate in the anime it comes from Paul Ursaring if I recall.

We can see Heracross as the precursor to the ability since the remark was used before generation 3 included it and ursaring as the first use in the anime post gen 3 inclusion.

And yes I know swellow could have showcased the ability but it actually never did at least according to any remark this includes japanese, Bird Ex Machina did all those feats without activating guts.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Anybody wanna guess Gladion's team for the anime? Im going with
Umbreon
Silvally
Lycanroc
Crobat
Kommo-O
Golisipod
What are you guys thought's?
First off, welcome to Smogon!

Second, that's making a assumption that Gladion even has a full team in the anime or if he'll even need a full team. The direction of the Sun & Moon anime is, for a lack of a better word, aimless. A lot of the time its treated like a slice of life anime with occasionally battling. Because of this not many characters need more than a few Pokemon, especially without there being a standard Pokemon League for trainers wanting to train a full team.

Right now the Pokemon which we were shown Gladion had fits his character: Lycanroc Midnight, Umbreon, and Type: Null. And note he didn't have the previous two in the games. Whether they give him more or not I don't think is the question we should be asking about Gladion, but rather how is his story going to play out (and how differently will it be from the games).

The only trainer who we should speculate about future team members with is Ash since he'll probably be the only one getting a full team. Now we can speculate if the others will get any more, like Kiawe just got an Alolan Marowak so other characters are being allowed to catch Pokemon, but I have a feeling they won't have a full team of six.

I am starting to wonder what the writters are thinking about Mallow, if they think about her at all. The only important episode was when her Pokemon evolved. She seems like she suppose to be an important character since she is a like the mother of the group worrying about others, but doesn't do anything really active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)