Other Features Game Freak's Pikachu Addiction (Title Pending)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Every generation,Gamefreak creates a new Pikachu knock-off. I would like to examine each Pokemon in competitive battling. I'd like to go over their qualities and potential sets.
Due to the mediocrity of most of these Pokemon, this article will be mostly a spotlight article on Pikachu and Raichu. However, I would still like to go over the limited niches of Parhirisu and Emolga.

Introduction: When Pokemon was first introduced to the world, Pikachu was a slam-dunk-home-run-hole-in-one. Its popularity was such that it soon became the mascot of the company. When the anime was released, Pikachu became the loyal companion of the main character. Gamefreak noticed the fame that Pikachu receive, and decided to take action. The result is that with every new generation of Pokemon, the public is forcibly subjected to terrible Pikachu knock-offs. This article examines these Pikachu frauds with regards to competitive battling.

Pikachu
-Pikachu has an extremely niche role in NU. It is forced to hold a light ball to boost it's offense to respectable levels. A textbook example of a glass cannon, though sometimes the cannonballs are made of glass too...
-The Pokemon mascot has has some very interesting moves in its arsenal that can be useful. This includes but is not limited to: Fly, Surf, Extreme Speed and, Icicle Crash

Sample Paragraph: In the works

Raichu
-A fast support Pokemon in VGC, was useful moves such as Fake Out and Encore
-A fast offensive Pokemon in NU that can be part of a VoltTurn core
-It can also run an effective sweeping set with Nasty Plot

Sample Paragraph: Raichu's the Alpha of all electrical mouses. It has the best stats out the rodents and decent coverage options... In NU, it is a fast offensive Pokemon that can be part of a VoltTurn core or sweep with Nasty Plot... IN VGC, it has a rich support movepool...

Pichu
-Cute mouse that'll cheer you on from the Pokemon Center's PC box
-It has no use in competitive Pokemon

Sample Paragraph: The Tiny Mouse Pokemon has a cuteness of over 9000. That's pretty much the only good thing that I have to say about Pichu. It does learn Tickle and Charm though... Maybe Pichu can woo an opponent and tickle them to death? I've got to go try that!

Plusle and Minun
-They are outclassed by Raichu in each and every single way

Sample Paragraph: Plusle and Minun's concept is cool, I'll admit. However, they were doomed to fail in competitive Pokemon. Every single one of their stats is outclassed by Raichu, and their movepool is very lackluster. The Plus and Minus abilities were a nice touch, as they give the Super Mice Bros boosts in their special stats. However, their mediocrity and redundancy put a instant end to any +- gimmicks. According to the Pokedex Plusle and Minun are the Cheering Pokemon... As a Pokemon player, you should just let them do what they do best... cheer on the sidelines.

Pachirisu
-A somewhat decent support Pokemon in VGC that is used for redirection (though it is mostly outclassed)
-Outclassed by Raichu in each and every single way in NU

Sample Paragraph: It's a squirrel, so guess there was a tiny bit of creativity... Actually, not really. In NU, there's no reason to use Pachirisu over Raichu, so it should probably go join +- on the sidelines. However, Pachirisu has a very unique niche in doubles and VGC. It has access to Follow Me and a rather exceptional support movepool. Despite it's sub-par defenses, the fluffy-tailed squirrel is a surprisingly bulky redirection Pokemon and can be quite useful when used in tandem along the likes of Gyarados and Talonflame.

Emolga
-Electric flying is a nice typing
-It has a unque niche in that it has access to Baton Pass and Agility

Sample Paragraph: Red Bull gives you wings!
Emolga is basically a Pachirisu that drank a Red Bull. It's a squirrel with wings. Electric-flying is a fine typing, and the Sky Squirrel Pokemon has some decent STAB options such as Acrobatics, Wild Charge, Air Slash, and Thunderbolt. In terms of offensive pressure, Flying STAB isn't enough to justify using Emolga over Raichu. However, Emolga has a very specific niche in the Electric Mouse family. It's the only member that has access and can effectively use Baton Pass (Plusle and Minun learn it too, but they are outclassed by Emolga).

Dedenne
-Unique typing
-Apart from an extremely gimmicky set that involves cheek pouch+ petaya berry, Dedenne is outclassed by Raichu

Sample Paragraph: *Deep Sigh* Same old, same old... A Pokemon that looks like Pikachu... You'd think that Game Freak would've realized by now that Pikachu knock-offs don't carry the chilling magic of the original. Game Freak needs to let it go.

Last edited:
I've thought of this idea for an article before as a coincidence, but I decided not to pursue it since I felt the topic didn't suit me that well. The concept is good, but for one, this would probably be categorized under Entertainment rather than Battling Strategy, since the latter and Metagames are meant for more serious competitive articles. It would be best if you could write up a sample paragraph for one of these, just so we can get a better idea of what the article will look like. Also, I'd change the article title since the source is controversial and not everyone may appreciate the reference.

Tagging Bummer and Layell for their opinion.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
I've thought of this idea for an article before as a coincidence, but I decided not to pursue it since I felt the topic didn't suit me that well. The concept is good, but for one, this would probably be categorized under Entertainment rather than Battling Strategy, since the latter and Metagames are meant for more serious competitive articles. It would be best if you could write up a sample paragraph for one of these, just so we can get a better idea of what the article will look like. Also, I'd change the article title since the source is controversial and not everyone may appreciate the reference.

Tagging Bummer and Layell for their opinion.
Thanks for your input! I've implemented your suggestions, and I'm still hammering out the details about Pikachu. Please take a look when you have time! :D

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While a fairly valid topic, I'm not sure how interesting it'd be since they all have similar movesets. They're all electric types, most of them are only viable in PU (and some not even that), making Raichu, Emolga and possibly Pikachu notable examples. It's marked as Entertainment, but given the skeleton above, this would work better as Other Features. That said, I'm still not sure if this article would benefit from given a serious approach, so I'm gonna give this a no.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
While a fairly valid topic, I'm not sure how interesting it'd be since they all have similar movesets. They're all electric types, most of them are only viable in PU (and some not even that), making Raichu, Emolga and possibly Pikachu notable examples. It's marked as Entertainment, but given the skeleton above, this would work better as Other Features. That said, I'm still not sure if this article would benefit from given a serious approach, so I'm gonna give this a no.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

It is, like you said, a valid topic. I have given brief sample paragraphs, and I can separate them apart. It doesn't matter if some of them are in PU, because PU is a valid tier. Furthermore, Raichu receives usage in NU and doubles, and Pachirisu is a somewhat gimmicky redirector that receives minute usage VGC. There is enough diversity for a good article.

If you would like this to go under other features, then whatever, I'll move it. If you want a less serious approach, then whatever, I'll change the tone. Those minor issues can be fixed. I feel that this article idea deserves to be looked at again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)