Fun Twist to Play with Friends - Balanced Boons

Hey everyone! I posted this on reddit earlier and I also wanted to post this idea here for a way to play singles with a twist with your friends. Although I usually play VGC, I enjoy playing singles casually and I think I covered most of my bases when thinking of clauses and stuff for the ruleset.

Introducing ... BALANCED BOONS

Challenge Rules:
  1. Each player must randomize a Pokemon that is below OU in standard Smogon tiering (if the Pokemon is not in the generation you are playing in, check the last generation they were available in). This ignores Ubers, LC, and NFEs not in a PU - UUBL tier.
  2. Then once each player has 1 Pokemon selected they get to give the Pokemon the following extra traits based on their tiering barring clauses below:
  • UUBL: 1 Extra Status Move
  • UU: 1 Extra Move
  • RUBL: 1 Status + 1 Damaging Moves
  • RU: 1 Status Move + an ability
  • NUBL: 1 Move + an ability
  • NU: 1 Damaging Move + 1 Status Move + an ability
  • PUBL and below: 2 New Moves of choice + an ability
  1. Once the said addition is made to the randomized Pokemon, the player must justify the move using the Pokemon’s origins, Pokedex entries, etc. (This justification just has to be mutual between both players and they have to understand the line of logic)
  2. Repeat steps 1 - 3 until each player has 3 Pokemon with changes made. Once done, each player creates a team with the 3 Pokemon + 3 additional unchanged Pokemon to battle with. The 3 Pokemon that were randomly chosen must be on the team, but the moves/additions made are not required to be on the final team.
  3. Then battle!

Additional Clauses (can be altered based on personal choice):
Huge Power/Pure Power/Gorilla Tactics Clause: Only Pokemon with base 50 attack or Lower are allowed to have this ability added to them (60 or lower for Gorilla Tactics)
Gimmick Clause: No Dynamax, Megas, Z-Moves, or Tera allowed
Trapping Clause: No Trapping Abilities
Sticky Web Clause: No Pokemon that are non-bug types are allowed to gain Sticky Web (must also have a solid argument based on the Pokemon’s origins)
Banned Abilities: Imposter, Supreme Overlord, Protosynthesis/Quark Drive, Legendary Signature Abilities (just kind of a blanket term for lore-specific ones), Speed Boost, Wonder Guard, Libero/Protean, Ice Scales, Fur Coat, Simple
Banned Moves: Spore, Rage Fist, No Retreat, Signature Moves of Legendaries + Regular Smogon Banned Moves
Standard Smogon Clauses: Evasion, Sleep, Etc.

If anyone has any suggestions to how I could improve this ruleset to make it more fun/balanced feel free to talk on this thread! Hope everyone has fun with this challenge!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)