ORAS PU Friends

Welcome to my team of friends!
The team is bulky offence, all Pokemon in this team are built around chipping down the opposition to the point of Kadabra sweeping late game. Although all these Pokemon may not thrive in the meta at the moment, I have seen myself just falling short of peaking with them and reaching top 5 a couple of times.

Rachel (Audino) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Knock Off

Audino is the central Pokemon of the team, using Regenerator and Wish to keep the team healthy over time. Heal Bell is used to make sure that the team doesn't corrode from chip damage and also supports the Rest Ampharos set to beat other stall teams. Protect is used to support Wish and to scout moves from Choiced Pokemon. Knock off is used to chip away at oppositions and to remove important items such as Leftovers or Eviolite.

Chandler (Pelipper) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Pelipper was my choice to build a core with Audino. This Pokemon covers the weakness to fighting that Audino has. Pelipper also has very good defensive stat as well as the move Scald that has potential to burn the physical attackers it switches in on. Although both U-turn and Toxic are viable on this kind of Pelipper, I decided to use Hurricane as it is a more offensive presence and doesn't just allow Pokemon such as Leafeon to use it as set up fodder, it also hits Tangela very hard after Eviolite is knocked off. Defog is used to get rid of entry hazards and Roost is used to extend longevity of Pelipper.

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest

After posting the team and naming threats, I came to the realisation that there was not enough checks to physical attackers. Anty gave the improvement of Bouffalant to Bronzor with an explanation below that I agree with.

Phoebe (Bouffalant) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Head Charge
- Facade

Bouffalant was added to my team as a specially bulky offensive presence. Although Audino is a special wall Bouffalant was needed to hit hard. It does a very good job, with the move Facade it is able to beat Rotom, Grumpig and other special attacking status abusers. It is also a much needed Pursuit trapper to make sure weaker sweepers are unable to switch out to be used late game. Earthquake hits Steel/Rock types and Head Charge is really only on there because rock moves always miss for me and I like to get off big damage if I know I'm not lasting any more turns. The ability Soundproof also allows Bouffalant to not be effected by moves such as Boomburst or Hyper Voice.

Joey (Ampharos) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Very similar to Bouffalant, I wanted extra damage on my team but this time in the special side. I chose Ampharos because it is a very bulky Pokemon but can also hit very hard. I gave Ampharos Thunderbolt and Volt Switch as a very hard hitting STAB attack and a way to pivot into my walls/cleric. I chose Signal Beam as the coverage move over HP Ice because Psychic/Grass types were a lot more common on the ladder for me. If the opposition did not have a Ground type or I had killed it off, the opposition would switch in grass type Pokemon as the answer to Ampharos. HP Ice was less effective as most Pokemon with Ground typing were a lot faster anyway. The last move Rest was actually added to counter status, I would allow the opposition to use status and chip damage to get me low before using Rest and immediately using Heal Bell with Audino.

Ross (Kadabra) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam / Encore

The team so far was all supporting each other to make way for the late game Kadabra sweep. I suppose there are other more viable Pokemon I could have used to fill this roll but my team is pretty weak to hazard stacking Taunt teams. Psychic is used as the heavy hitting STAB move, HP Fighting is used for both Pawniard and Probopass, Shadow ball is used to hit other Psychic types and Signal beam is a filler move for coverage. I did consider having Thunder Wave and Calm Mind instead of Signal Beam but every time I considered changing it I played a match that it came in handy. Anty mentioned Encore as a replacement for Signal Beam, this is great for stopping set up Pokemon but slightly worse for late game sweeping if you need the coverage. Make sure if you use the team to choose the one you prefer.

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Although not my original Camerupt set, the set Anty gave me compliments Bronzor a lot more than having double rocks as well as giving me a wall breaker.

Monica (Camerupt) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

The reasoning for this is very simple from looking at my team, I need both an Electric immunity and a Stealth Rocker. I decided to go with Specially Defensive Camerupt as it worked most effectively on ladder. I was able to set up Stealth Rocks and then Toxic defoggers such as Prinplup and Lumineon without worrying that they would Scald and kill me as I live. I gave Camerupt two STAB moves allowing it to beat common types like Steel and common Pokemon such as Muk.

Hazard Stacking & Taunt

The number one threat to this team is Hazards + Taunt. Although these Pokemon are bulky, they are still in PU for a reason, Hazard damage over time with offensive Pokemon makes it impossible to wall.

Physical Wall Breakers

Wall breakers such as Choice Banded Stoutland and set up physical attackers can be a huge problem for this team as it only has one real physical wall.

Physical or Mixed Attacking Electric Moves

Much like Physicals Wall breakers, Pelipper is my only thing stopping physical attackers, Physical Electric Pokemon or any Physical Pokemon with Volt Switch or Electric coverage can pick apart my team.

PU Room Tour
PU Room Tour
I apologise for only having 2 replays. I used this team before Gen 7 came out and thought I would send out a RMT before Gen 7 took over PU. If any events come up I'll make sure to edit this post to add replays!

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest​

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice​

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Phoebe (Bouffalant) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Head Charge
- Facade

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam

Monica (Camerupt) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Thanks Anty for the help[/hide]

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi

Overall the team seems to be very specially defensively based, so I think some improvements could be made to make a more well rounded team. Firstly, I think Bouffalant and Audino share too much of the same role to be used on the same team. Though they are slightly different, in this metagame, the sheer number of threats means it is hard to double up with these Pokemon, so I recomend trying Bronzor over Bouffalant. Bronzor gives you a much nicer check to common physical attackers like Stoutland and Golem, and pairs extremely well with Pelipper to take on most physical attackers, while providing some help to special Psychic types which cant set up and annoy your team. Next, something to consider would be putting Stealth Rock on Bronzor and then making Camerupt Choice Specs, as SDef Camerupt doesn't check much which the rest of the team cannot already, however, the team really lacks a wallbreaking presence, which is usually very crucial for these teamstyles in order to break down opposing defensive teams, and give the team some offensive pressure which the rest are too weak to apply.

The team still has a slight weakness to Grass-types, particularly specially based ones, and the team lacking a solid Set up Pokemon to provide more offensive pressure and clean up late game. Bulk Up Gogoat over Ampharos could help cover both, as paired with Pelipper they take on every Grass-type, and additionally Gogoat can help keep CM Duosion in check, and more reliably sweep late game. Furthermore it provides you with a more reliable Water-type switch in and another way to check Electric types. Lastly, I think Leftovers on Pelipper is a better item than Rocky Helmet, to help avoid it getting too weakened by Stealth Rocks if it is put in a position it cannot roost, and running Encore over Signal Beam on Kadabra could provide you with a bit more counterplay to bulky set up Pokemon.

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 228 HP / 48 Atk / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Pelipper
Rocky Helmet ---> Leftovers

Kadabra
Signal Beam ---> Encore

Hope I helped!

Hi

Overall the team seems to be very specially defensively based, so I think some improvements could be made to make a more well rounded team. Firstly, I think Bouffalant and Audino share too much of the same role to be used on the same team. Though they are slightly different, in this metagame, the sheer number of threats means it is hard to double up with these Pokemon, so I recomend trying Bronzor over Bouffalant. Bronzor gives you a much nicer check to common physical attackers like Stoutland and Golem, and pairs extremely well with Pelipper to take on most physical attackers, while providing some help to special Psychic types which cant set up and annoy your team. Next, something to consider would be putting Stealth Rock on Bronzor and then making Camerupt Choice Specs, as SDef Camerupt doesn't check much which the rest of the team cannot already, however, the team really lacks a wallbreaking presence, which is usually very crucial for these teamstyles in order to break down opposing defensive teams, and give the team some offensive pressure which the rest are too weak to apply.

The team still has a slight weakness to Grass-types, particularly specially based ones, and the team lacking a solid Set up Pokemon to provide more offensive pressure and clean up late game. Bulk Up Gogoat over Ampharos could help cover both, as paired with Pelipper they take on every Grass-type, and additionally Gogoat can help keep CM Duosion in check, and more reliably sweep late game. Furthermore it provides you with a more reliable Water-type switch in and another way to check Electric types. Lastly, I think Leftovers on Pelipper is a better item than Rocky Helmet, to help avoid it getting too weakened by Stealth Rocks if it is put in a position it cannot roost, and running Encore over Signal Beam on Kadabra could provide you with a bit more counterplay to bulky set up Pokemon.

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 228 HP / 48 Atk / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Pelipper
Rocky Helmet ---> Leftovers

Kadabra
Signal Beam ---> Encore

Hope I helped!
I love the Camerupt and Bronzor additions so I have implemented them both. Although my team was week to grass, with the addition of Bronzor I feel like Ampharos is a great fit for the many water types. Encore Kadabra is also a great addition, I'll most likely add it with a / to make sure people are aware of both sets. I also prefer Rocky Helmet with the presence of a lot of U-turn Pokemon I like the chip damage they receive from pivoting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)