Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Mega Altaria usually runs bulk on its sets, anyhow yeah you are right it can't setup that freely vs those mons. So actually now i'm pretty curious, you should try the cotton guard Altaria and let us know your results Koekiekoekje

I can only try Altaria with Cotton Guard if I have a good team, which I haven't. The reason I posted in this thread was that I wanted help to build a team with Altaria with Cotton Guard.

I can only try Altaria with Cotton Guard if I have a good team, which I haven't. The reason I posted in this thread was that I wanted help to build a team with Altaria with Cotton Guard.
i'd more or less build around it as you would with Sub Toxic Mega Salamence, or even better i'd add it to the SkarmBliss core since it's able to kinda check CharX and Blazi/MBlazi, adding a check for Mega Gengar as well, such as Muk or TTar

Muk really seems to be good here as it's likely the best possible answer to Gengar, as well as being able to threaten Fairy types and Aegislash. I think Skarmory and Chansey/Blissey are good additions to the team but they don't really do the matchup versus Steel types any favors. How does replacing Skarmory for Heatran and adding Rotom-Wash sound? Heatran does well versus stall if it runs Magma Storm and Rotom-Wash even could run a set with Choice Specs and the move Trick, but a bulky set with Will-O-Wisp seems good too.

Hello.

It'd be cool if someone could hang out with me and play Pokemon without me having to bug them first. I've been battling Pokemon since GSbot but I've never been better than average, despite a lot of study into it. I'd like someone to sit with me for a bit and help me make a team for BSS, both on Showdown and on cart, and actually teach me how to make a balanced team, and how to pick at the team previews, which are my severe shortcomings. I am also tactically lacking as well.

I'd like to make a team with the less standard stuff; something different, more fun for me, and perhaps a little unpredictable on the ladder.

Thanks.

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
You should give this thread a try to find a tutor, and feel free to visit the Battle Spot room on Showdown, the welcoming community will be able to answer your questions and help you get better (obviously not to the point where a tutor would manage to help you, but still a great way to get started) :toast:
(also if you wanna use less standard stuff, definitely give battle spot special 6 a try)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello.

It'd be cool if someone could hang out with me and play Pokemon without me having to bug them first. I've been battling Pokemon since GSbot but I've never been better than average, despite a lot of study into it. I'd like someone to sit with me for a bit and help me make a team for BSS, both on Showdown and on cart, and actually teach me how to make a balanced team, and how to pick at the team previews, which are my severe shortcomings. I am also tactically lacking as well.

I'd like to make a team with the less standard stuff; something different, more fun for me, and perhaps a little unpredictable on the ladder.

Thanks.
If you post in the thread Lionyx linked above either myself or one of our other tutors will request to take you on. Thought I'd reply to your message so it'd alert you and you'd notice I also moved your post to the simple questions thread.

Hello.

Thanks.
Also, outside of tutoring thread that is indeed the way to go, try to spend some time in the battle spot room. Share thoughts in the chat and try to gain knowledge from the olther/more expert players, take part to the room daily tournaments and ask anything you need that is related to the metagame, and you'll see that you will improve for sure and you'll also find people to play with.

Can anyone help me with team for mega audino
Sure dude, try to build it (or at least build a core made by it and another one or two mons) and then post it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bss-teambuilding-help-thread-sumo-edition-reloaded-2-0.3588951/
You'll get all the help you need to improve it or to complete it :]

You can also come in the Battle Spot Room, on Shodown to get help as well.
This thread is for simple questions, and building a team isn't that simple

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
I have been lurking around for a long time and I have noticed stall teams are extremely hard to execute in BSS. Is this because of the prevalence of Mega Gengar, powerful sweepers like zard x and salamence, or the number of teamslots that is just not enough to cover all theats? (Mega Sableye + Chansey gets blown up by offensive Heatran, zard x, or rare but threatening Facade Salamence, And Skarmory + Chansey is demolished by Taunt Koko, etc)

I have been lurking around for a long time and I have noticed stall teams are extremely hard to execute in BSS. Is this because of the prevalence of Mega Gengar, powerful sweepers like zard x and salamence, or the number of teamslots that is just not enough to cover all theats? (Mega Sableye + Chansey gets blown up by offensive Heatran, zard x, or rare but threatening Facade Salamence, And Skarmory + Chansey is demolished by Taunt Koko, etc)
Only having 3 slots is the main reason imo. It's a lot harder to wall your opponent's team with just 3 things to switch around. That being said I still don't think it's a bad playstyle in BSS, just harder to use than it is in 6v6. You generally don't see Mega Sableye on stall teams though(unless they run shedinja) since hazard control isn't that important in BSS. Most stall teams follow a really standard shell of chansey/skarm/gliscor/pex/mega gengar. skarm,chans and toxapex are able to cover to a really wide range of mons in just a few slots which makes stall really usable even with just 3 pokemon. Mega Gengar being able to trap things is also a really useful tool for stall as well.

I've some thoughts about switching in BSS. 3vs3 format is more violent than 6vs6 in Singles. A good teambuilding and pivoting are far more important in BSS than in OU and a good switch can be the key of a match. So checks and counters are more important notions and matchups are less in a tie. Can we consider that a mon has necessary an advantage (or a disadvantage) against an other mon (for example Fini will always have a disadvantage against Koko and Bulu but always have an advantage against Hippo and TTar), and switching is always a mandatory, or is there a point when switching is useless even if your mon has a disadvantage against its opponent ?

I've some thoughts about switching in BSS. 3vs3 format is more violent than 6vs6 in Singles. A good teambuilding and pivoting are far more important in BSS than in OU and a good switch can be the key of a match. So checks and counters are more important notions and matchups are less in a tie. Can we consider that a mon has necessary an advantage (or a disadvantage) against an other mon (for example Fini will always have a disadvantage against Koko and Bulu but always have an advantage against Hippo and TTar), and switching is always a mandatory, or is there a point when switching is useless even if your mon has a disadvantage against its opponent ?
Switching out is useless when whatever you send in gets more crippled than you can manage. Say Fini and Koko are on the field, there's no point in switching out for the Fini player if none of his pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from Koko, he might as well sack it and lose one mon instead of two. This is also the point where mind games happen. Will he switch out? Should I predict it? Is he predicting my prediction so I go for Thunderbolt anyways?

So I wouldn't say that anything is mandatory, it's more important to read the situation and act accordingly.

One of the strategies of Hyper Offensive teams (though it's not necessarely related to this kind of teams), when you are cornered, is to sacrifice your pokemon to gain back the proper situation to setup.
Let's say that you are in a 2vs2 situation, with Tapu Fini in vs a Tapu Koko, and you have CharX that hasn't mega evolved yet in the bench, whereas your opponent has a Mega Salamence.

In this situation you have two choices: switch out and lose Charizard, stay and lose Fini. Obviously chosing to sacrifice Fini, means that you'll come in with Charizard, mega evolve into its X form and gain the chance to setup, since at that point you'd resist Electric attacks, and with CharX going at +1 or even at +2 you would pretty much win the game. So yeah, there is a point where switching is out is not the right choice and staying in and sacrificing that pokemon can lead to victory, specially in the 3vs3 tier.

Switching out is useless when whatever you send in gets more crippled than you can manage. Say Fini and Koko are on the field, there's no point in switching out for the Fini player if none of his pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from Koko, he might as well sack it and lose one mon instead of two. This is also the point where mind games happen. Will he switch out? Should I predict it? Is he predicting my prediction so I go for Thunderbolt anyways?

So I wouldn't say that anything is mandatory, it's more important to read the situation and act accordingly.
One of the strategies of Hyper Offensive teams (though it's not necessarely related to this kind of teams), when you are cornered, is to sacrifice your pokemon to gain back the proper situation to setup.
Let's say that you are in a 2vs2 situation, with Tapu Fini in vs a Tapu Koko, and you have CharX that hasn't mega evolved yet in the bench, whereas your opponent has a Mega Salamence.

In this situation you have two choices: switch out and lose Charizard, stay and lose Fini. Obviously chosing to sacrifice Fini, means that you'll come in with Charizard, mega evolve into its X form and gain the chance to setup, since at that point you'd resist Electric attacks, and with CharX going at +1 or even at +2 you would pretty much win the game. So yeah, there is a point where switching is out is not the right choice and staying in and sacrificing that pokemon can lead to victory, specially in the 3vs3 tier.
Thank you for these clarifications and advices. Switching has always been an issue for me in BSS.

Hi, I'm going to soft reset for a XY HP Ice Zapdos and have a few general questions.
I was wondering what Nature is standard. Considering Timid or Bold. I'm wondering which is more useful/common in a vacuum since I don't have a specific role/team in mind for it.

Since there is no BSS set in the Smogon Dex, I was considering the OU set of
Timid @ Leftovers
248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice
Roost

Hi, I'm going to soft reset for a XY HP Ice Zapdos and have a few general questions.
I was wondering what Nature is standard. Considering Timid or Bold. I'm wondering which is more useful/common in a vacuum since I don't have a specific role/team in mind for it.

Timid @ Leftovers
248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice
Roost
Here's a fairly common set you can run and get away with. The OU set is not quite as good in the BSS setting.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos is ironically a better tank or wall in BSS than anything else. This set is for tackling common Pokémon like Lando-T, MegaMence, Garchomp, Kartana, Ferrothorn, and your common water weaknesses ala Gyarados, Azumarill, and Tapu Fini.

Sadly Thundurus-T really outclasses it as an offensive Pokémon due to comparable speed, much more SpA, a way better ability in Volt Absorb (which is very useful), and also 2 boosting moves in Nasty Plot and Agility.

Either use Zapdos like a tank or just use Thundy-T instead.

Timid @ Leftovers
248 HP/8 Def/252 Spe
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice
Roost
Plus, if it helps, it looks like there's an analysis in progress in the Contributions & Corrections area here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zapdos-singles-qc-0.3608881/

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me the viable Mega Blaziken sets before I start EV training/leveling? It will be the core of my team so I'm wide open to non-gimmick suggestions.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
The short answer is that Blaziken can run almost anything it wants and it will be viable. The standard set for Mega Blaziken is typically this:

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance / Baton Pass
- Protect

Adamant is preferred because it's stronger and faster than Jolly LO Blaziken but Jolly is also viable if stuff like Timid Scarf Lele worries you. Those 4 SpD EVs are actually important to ensure Download boosts Attack, even though Porygon2 will likely switch out against Blaziken. The third move can be substituted for almost anything from Stone Edge to Hidden Power Ice, ultimately depends on the team and what you feel you need. Dropping HJK is also viable to run SD with another coverage move but if you're new to the format I'd stick with the above.

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me the viable Mega Blaziken sets before I start EV training/leveling? It will be the core of my team so I'm wide open to non-gimmick suggestions.
There are several viable sets for Mega Blaziken. The main ones involve Protect, with Flare Blitz, HJK, and some filler move usually.

For instance:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect / Baton Pass
- Swords Dance / Baton Pass / Stone Edge / Knock Off

This is a standard physical Mega Blaziken. You can use SD to boost your own Attack, Protect to guarantee a Speed Boost against Scarfed Pokémon less than base 100 speed, Stone Edge to smack things like Volcarona and Charizard-Y, Baton Pass to pass off your Speed boosts to something else, or Knock Off to cripple stuff like Porygon2.

Also there is an interesting mixed attacker set from gen 6.

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
EVs: 68 Atk / 196 SpA / 244 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Naïve / Mild Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- Protect

This was more of a doubles set, but it's supposed to surprise Blaziken's usual checks like Lando-T, Salamence, Garch, and D.nite. You could update the IVs to better suit what Pokémon you wanna KO more easily.

Is 24 too high of a Attack stat for Zapdos? I've soft reset a HP Ice Bold one but not sure if I should keep it. I'm not sure how common confusion is in BSS, but I've played a dozen or so games on PS and haven't seen it once.

Is 24 too high of a Attack stat for Zapdos? I've soft reset a HP Ice Bold one but not sure if I should keep it. I'm not sure how common confusion is in BSS, but I've played a dozen or so games on PS and haven't seen it once.
Although I haven't played much bss, i used to challenge random people on wifi a lot, and i encountered confusion a lot. I never found less confusion damage to be worth another several hours of soft resetting for hp ice, so i say keep the Zapdos.

Although I haven't played much bss, i used to challenge random people on wifi a lot, and i encountered confusion a lot. I never found less confusion damage to be worth another several hours of soft resetting for hp ice, so i say keep the Zapdos.
Yeah I'm going to keep it. If my math (and the confusion formula I found) is correct, for level 70 it's 21.92 vs 19.66 damage of 24 Atk vs 0 Atk. I don't know what/if it gets rounded to, but I can deal with a few points of damage for ranked BSS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)