SM OU First Team: Balanced Offense with Gengar

|
|
|
|
|

Hello guys, Lefty here. Been lurking for ages but finally decided to make an account to post here.
Introduction

Being that it's my first time making a team, I decided to start it off with my favorite Pokemon, Gengar. While Gengar losing Levitate does hurt my heart, it's not hard to argue that Gengar still has a niche at killing quite a few of the new mons this gen, as well as still causing a dent on old ones. I'm not one to be risky, so my team is more of a balanced offense. The Pokemon are in order of when I put them on the team. I've tested the team out and have quite enjoyed it, but some battles I feel like my team can easily break from setup mons and some weather teams, hence why I came here to look for suggestions to tweak my first team.

The Team

Jinji (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

After going through a couple of sets for Gengar I finally decided on a Choice Scarf set. With UBs like Buzzwole and Pheromosa running around, as well as all the Tapus, I wanted Gengar to have a set to sort of counter these new mons. Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball are obvious STAB moves to put on Gengar, with Sludge Wave being able to OHKO all the Tapus with the exception of Tapu Fini who is a 2OHKO. The Choice scarf allows me to outspeed Choice Scarf Tapu Lele's and OHKO them. While I also have two very reliable Fairy types on my team, I noticed them being too slow for me to use their Fairy moves sometimes, so I decided to throw in Dazzling Gleam on Gengar to do enormous damage on Fighting types, a big one being Keldeo that comes to mind. In conjunction with my pivot Magearna, I can safely threaten and gain momentum on water types like Keldeo and Manaphy, with Scarfed Gengar pressuring the Manaphy to use their Waterinium Z on their Water type attack instead of Rain Dance, as Choice Scarf still outspeeds and 2OHKOs Manaphy at +1 Speed with Stealth Rocks or with Magearna's Volt Switch.

Here are some notable mons Gengar can outspeed and do heavy damage to when Timid+Scarfed.
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 276-326 (97.8 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 276-326 (97.8 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 203-239 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 156-184 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 696-822 (268.7 - 317.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 374-444 (97.3 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 192-226 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 218-258 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 348-410 (122.1 - 143.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 202-238 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Lily (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

While losing Levitate does suck, Gengar can utilize Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain, allowing Gengar to safely KO priority mons like Bisharp, Azumarill, Water Shuriken Greninja(LUL), Mega Pinsir, Weavile, etc. That being said, what Gengar doesn't kill Tapu Lele will. Choice Specs Modest nature with psychic surge, my heart can't take it. The set is to cover mons that Gengar can't. Mega Scizor, Mantine, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex are some mons that come to mind that Gengar can't reliably kill, that Tapu Lele can.

Emilia (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

While my team is built around Gengar, I can't help but feel like Magearna is the MVP of my team. Whenever I need to take a special attack from mons like Greninja or Latios, I just throw in Magearna and let her do her thing. The big reason that she is here however is to give my boy Gengar a pivot mon to work with. The threats that Scarfed Gengar can kill, Magearna sets him up with a Volt Switch. The biggies that come to mind are Water types and Tapu Lele. Psychic Terrain Modest Choice Specs Psychic from Tapu Lele, Magearna can't get 2OHKO'd by it.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 107-126 (29.3 - 34.6%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 144-169 (39.5 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 128-152 (35.1 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 128-151 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's pretty great in my eyes considering all the mons I've seen OHKO'd by Lele. She also brings in Fleur Cannon, where I can just easily throw it off if I decide to stay in and it does an insane amount of damage. Other two slots I just threw Flash Cannon and Aura Sphere in there, though I've rarely used them in battle.

Strength (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Lax Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Can't be OU without ya boy Landorus-T ya know? The first three mons were frail physically, with two being weak to Ground, so I decided to throw in this guy, since he covers both areas. Immunity to Electric is also always nice. I use him mostly to pivot and get up hazards, while also carrying an HP fire for when I switch in on the likes of Scizor. Pairs up nicely with the next mon Gyarados, allowing me to double intimidate. Threw him on the team also because I had trouble with Mega Metagross vs my Tapu Lele, though I quickly found out that they tend to run Ice Punch, so that's not fun.

Ryoma (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

So looking at my team after Landorus-T, I thought that my team was lacking a bit on the physical side, and I also didn't have a Mega. So I decided to slap on MegaGyarados. He's mostly a late game sweeper, as the rest of my mons can get rid of his checks/counters(Tapu Fini, Ferrothorn, MegaVenu, Clefable, Toxapex, etc). I'm experimenting with the moveset right now, I threw in Taunt because none of the other mons weren't carrying it. Gives him some utility outside of Intimidate and the late game sweep potential. Other moves that can take the moveslot are Earthquake and Ice Fang, thoughts on this would be nice. Earthquake can be nice for Mega Metagross now that I think about it.

Mars (Latios) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf

I don't know what to say about this guy honestly. After looking at the previous 5 mons, I was looking at potential flaws in my team and how could patch it up, and I was all but led up to using this guy. He's what I call a jack of all trades for my team. He has a plethora of resistances that my team didn't really have many of, and he brings many to the table with Electric, Fire, Water, Fighting and Psychic. I love being immune to Ground, so that's another plus for me. I have no defogger, so another plus. He also actually synergies with Psychic Terrain, giving him a boosted Psyshock, meanwhile my Lele has Psychic. I gave him Soul Dew because I'm not running Roost on him and I want him to live a while. His weaknesses are also patched up by the rest of my team. Surf is there as another way to hit Rock/Ground/Fire types. With that out of the way he's actually my least used mon for the team. I had a streak where I didn't/couldn't utilize Latios to his potential, as the enemy either gained momentum too fast or I just win the war of attrition. When he's on the field, it's either a Defog or Draco and he's gone for the rest of the battle.

Conclusion

I hope I was a bit thorough with the reasoning behind each of the mons. I'll be honest after the first half of building there was slightly less effort put into deciding the other mons. Specifically, I'm talking about Mega Gyarados and Latios. The first four Pokemon feel great, while these two feel like the odd ones out. Most of my battles I feel like I can't utilize them to their most potential and are just there to fill up slots on my team. Suggestions of possible switches or fixes to them would be nice. I don't know if my movesets or stat spreads are the best either actually, so any notable comments on those would be nice too. Some threats I noticed that were a little scary were Weather teams. Alolan-Sandslash at +2 with Aurora Veil from Alolan-Ninetales was scary, though on my end I don't think I should be allowing that with the mons I have. Rain team with ZDance Manaphy was also scary, but Choice Scarf Gengar has been catching quite a few people off guard, so I guess you could say I'm bad but lucky. I lost to a team stacked with Ultra Beasts(Celesteela, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, forgot the other mons) but I think I just played poorly there as well. Thanks for reading friends, hope I could get some nice suggestions for my team :D

edit: Also going to throw out there right now that I'm not playing against many good trainers, I've only just started playing on Showdown so the team sorta steamrolled through trainers who used Red's team and others that just had their favorite mons, and so I'm finally around 1300 average to test out the team more tomorrow.

Jinji (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

ZERO (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Strength (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Lax Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Emilia (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Ryoma (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Mars (Latios) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)