SM OU First OU Team in a Few Years

Hey all!

So just a little backstory before I get started.

I've been playing competitive Pokemon now since Gen 4 however, haven't gotten around to playing Gen 6 or Gen 7 too in depth because I've been in Uni for the past 4 years. I want to get back into things as seriously as I was back in Gen 4 and 5 and just wanted to get some advice on this team that I've made.

My biggest issues with team building start back in Gen 6, my biggest issue is that I never know if I should have a dedicated lead like I used to or if I should have multiple Pokemon that I can lead with. I used to run a classic Gen 4 Froslass with Spikes, Taunt, DB as my go-to lead but it doesn't cut it anymore. My biggest issue seems to be gaining momentum in the beginning of the match. So heres my team that I'm currently running. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr Been out of the game mostly since about Gen 5. Need help catching up with the times and new meta game and how to choose an effective lead to gain momentum and have it last through the match. Thank you!

Team:

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Been using Koko as my lead, the whole point is to use it as part of my teams core with M-Medicham. HP Ice for lead Landorus-T, Taunt for Hazard leads, and U-turn if the situation isn't favorable.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

M-Medicham as second part of the team core. TP to work in conjunction with Koko's ET, IP to deal with Landorus-T and Garchomp. Fake out to break enemy team momentum.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

This part of my team is where I kinda got a bit lost and started adding Pokemon I thought would work with my team the best but haven't been getting the best results. Ferrothorn's purpose in my mind is to widdle down enemy HP to make it easier for Medicham to swoop in.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Garchomp just for the use of a wallbreaker and getting rid of annoying threats that stand in my way

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Put Greninja on my team because it's versatile and can be used in multiple situations I feel like.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aura Sphere

Togekiss with scarf because I feel like most of my opponents don't really expect it. Good for taking out enemy ferrthorns with flamethrower and obligatory fairy type.

Let me know what you think and thank you for your time!

Note: This is my first smogon post, I skimmed the rules and I believe from what I saw is within the guidelines. Let me know if I violated anything and I will try to correct it right away! Thanks again!

Hey pretty good team you have here.

I would recommend running stealth rocks > spikes on your ferrothorn. Stealth rocks is very important in this generation and if you can run a spikes user too then thats even more hazard control. You could run Spikes on your greninja if you feel like you need it.

You also only have one fairy answer being ferrothorn and with common threats like Fightium-Z magearna running around you could have some trouble against it, so you will need to be weary of that and scout it out.

Also Mega venusaur could be an issue for your team once it gains thick fat. I would suggest running zen headbutt > thunder punch on medicham or running a timid greninja with extrasensory > gunk shot. Obviously this is up to you, but if you are capable of chipping it down then it should not be as problematic however with your lack of utility like will-o-wisp or thunder wave it may be harder to wear down.

I also personally prefer having some form of hazard removal. Your team isn't that weak to rocks but spikes and toxic spikes could be annoying for you if multiple layers are set up. This is just something to think about. Other than that this is a pretty solid team. Hope these suggestions help. let me know if you need anything else and good luck getting back into the game

Hey pretty good team you have here.

I would recommend running stealth rocks > spikes on your ferrothorn. Stealth rocks is very important in this generation and if you can run a spikes user too then thats even more hazard control. You could run Spikes on your greninja if you feel like you need it.

You also only have one fairy answer being ferrothorn and with common threats like Fightium-Z magearna running around you could have some trouble against it, so you will need to be weary of that and scout it out.

Also Mega venusaur could be an issue for your team once it gains thick fat. I would suggest running zen headbutt > thunder punch on medicham or running a timid greninja with extrasensory > gunk shot. Obviously this is up to you, but if you are capable of chipping it down then it should not be as problematic however with your lack of utility like will-o-wisp or thunder wave it may be harder to wear down.

I also personally prefer having some form of hazard removal. Your team isn't that weak to rocks but spikes and toxic spikes could be annoying for you if multiple layers are set up. This is just something to think about. Other than that this is a pretty solid team. Hope these suggestions help. let me know if you need anything else and good luck getting back into the game
Great thanks for all the help! I definitely agree with the need for a hazard remover as that does hinder my team quite a bit. I was also thinking of bringing on hearten instead of gar chomp for the extra fairy protection. Thanks a lot!

Great thanks for all the help! I definitely agree with the need for a hazard remover as that does hinder my team quite a bit. I was also thinking of bringing on hearten instead of gar chomp for the extra fairy protection. Thanks a lot!
Heatran could definitely benefit your team and he can be your reliable stealth rock user allowing you to keep spikes on ferrothorn. Be sure to test it out. Have fun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)