SM RU Failure (a USUM RU team)

Failure

Hello guys! This is what I believe to be my most successful RU team to date. It's built around Speed Boost Yanmega, which I see as heavily underrated in today's RU meta, as it ALWAYS gets shafted in favor of Tinted Lens, which I just see as inferior due to Yanmega's somewhat lacking Speed. So, without further ado, onto the squad!

@

Ability- Speed Boost

EVs- 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Modest

Bug Buzz | Air Slash | Protect | Giga Drain

Yanmega, the star of the show. I mainly chose Yanmega since it's basically tied with Scolipede as my favorite bug of all time. I chose Speed Boost specifically as I feel it always gets shoved aside in favor of Tinted Lens Yanmega, despite it putting in work on its own.

@

Ability- Torrent

EVs- 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Modest

Water Pulse | Aura Sphere | Rapid Spin | Dark Pulse

When using Yanmega, a spinner is mandatory. This is that spinner. But Mega Blastoise would be pretty much worthless if all it could do was spin. It's actually one of the powerhouses on the team, although it is a fair bit slow. Nevertheless, this thing is my main Bronzong check (although Yanmega can break through it with Bug Buzz), and has put in endless work for the squad.

@

Ability- Rock Head

EVs- 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe

Nature- Jolly

Head Smash | Earthquake | Dragon Claw | Outrage

Obligatory Lazzle and Mandi check is obligatory, Scarf Tyrantrum tears those Pokemon to shreds, while taking care of stuff like Moltres and Swellow, who both give Yanmega major trouble. Switch this thing into Salazzle] as soon as she comes onto the field (unless it's taken a Knock Off), as Scarf allows you to outspeed and obliterate her with basically anything.

@

Ability- Levitate

EVs- 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SpD

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Sassy

Stealth Rock | Toxic | Psywave | Protect

Why is Stealth Rock so good? Bronzong is here primarily to set it up, although it's not MANDATORY, and if the opponent leads with something dangerous that's neither Steel nor Poison, proceed to Toxic Stall IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise click Rocks and watch as they struggle to damage your steel-hard hide.

@

Ability- Levitate

EVs- 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Timid

Volt Switch | Defog | Leaf Storm | Will-O-Wisp

Defogger number two, this is my check to dangerous physical attackers like Flygon, as it's able to burn them, rendering them useless for the rest of the game. It's also my main Milotic check, as both of its types are SE against the snake Pokemon, and Bloom Doom annihilates it.

@

Ability- Flower Veil

EVs- 252 HP | 32 SpA | 224 Spe

IVs- 0 Atk

Nature- Modest

Moonblast | Defog | Aromatherapy | Synthesis

This was originally a defensive Florges-White, but she basically did screw all in games, and I received this spread courtesy of teachable, and now she actually does something! She's defogger number 3 (when you're using Yanmega, no amount of Defoggers is enough) can outspeed Fairy-weak threats like Chesnaught w/speed investment and nuke them. (This actually happened in a Wifi Battle, where Florges managed to live a Swellow's Boomburst and OHKO it, while outspeeding a Chesnaught and doing the same. Battle video code here: FGXG-WWWW-WWWN-L2LN)

Conclusion

Well, that's it! The title is a reference not only to my failure to get to mid-ladder basically ever, but also to how Speed Boost Yanmega must feel after always getting shafted in favor of its Tinted Lens counterpart. Plus the song is good. Anyways, I hope you've all enjoyed, and as always, leave a rate as to what I can do better with the squad! Cheers!

Radar (Yanmega) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Dreadnought (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse

T. Rex (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Satan (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Psywave
- Protect

Buzzap (Rotom-Mow) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp

Flora (Florges-Blue) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

hi, nice team! I really like how you built around speed boost yanmega cause it's just a really underrated set that i like a lot. however, I do have some suggestions to hopefully improve the team.

weaknesses:

because your sole fire resist is Blastoise, Entei is bound to cause problems. take a look at these calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blastoise-Mega: 126-149 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blastoise-Mega: 141-166 (47.1 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
as you can see, 0 hp stoise isn't a reliable fire resistance. tyrantrum doesn't want to risk the sacred fire burn or stomping tantrum, while the rest are unable to do much damage to Entei back.

bronzong is a fine scarf tyrantrum counter, but choice band tyrantrum is able to 2hko/ohko your entire team with head smash. obviously applying pressure with Blastoise or florges isn't that hard but if it comes in safely then you're basically forced to sack a mon.

much like tyrantrum above, your team doesn't really have any switchins to this monster. both lo and scarf variants are big threats; life orb is able to beat bronzong, making stuff like specs garde much scarier, while scarf is able to outspeed both scarf ttrum and +1 yanmega while still being able to put down spikes and just being really annoying in general.

improvements:

imo ice beam is a necessity on this team over aura sphere because it nails grass-types (especially rose and subseed shay which can give this team issues) and dragons like tyrantrum and dragalge which is always nice. scald is overall more reliable than water pulse even though its slightly weaker, but the 10 extra bp rarely ever matter and burns are too good to pass up. additionally, id suggest changing the spread to a bulkier one: 168 hp / 136 spa / 204 speed with a modest nature allows you to always survive cb entei's flare blitz after rocks and outspeeding pokemon like cress and bewear while maintaining a respectable amount of power.

-
i feel that physically defensive zong is more beneficial to the team because it lets it handle both escav and tyrantrum much easier. 252 hp / 128 def / 128 spd with a relaxed nature lets you survive the 2hko from adamant cb tyrantrum. additionally, id recommend running gyro ball over toxic so you can actually hit ttrum and fairies like florges which this team struggles to break through.

>
-
while having ample removal when using yanmega is always nice, triple hazard control is just overkill. shaymin is actually a much better flygon/zydog/milotic check even though it lacks willowisp because it has far greater natural bulk and access to reliable recovery. you do miss out on the pivoting capabilities that rotom brings to the table but i believe the benefits of using shaymin outweigh that advantage. could also experiment with roserade here but it lacks a lot of shaymins defensive utility so meh.

-
you could probably run psychic over aromatherapy here, which lures in poison types like dragalge and roserade which can really threaten the team. if you decide to go with rotom anyways, then you could just replace defog. either way i think psychic is a really neat move on offensive florges and it really fits the team.

good luck and hope i helped!! heres an importable with my suggestions:
Radar (Yanmega) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Dreadnought (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 168 HP / 136 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse

T. Rex (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Satan (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Psywave
- Protect

Shaymin @ Grassium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Synthesis

Flora (Florges-Blue) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Psychic
- Synthesis

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)