Monotype Electromagnetic: Mega Manectric Offense

Banner and Text by Moosical

Hey, it's GoldenTorkoal with another RMT, this time about an Electric team built around Mega Manectric that i've used a lot before USUM came out. Last generation, Mega Manectric was an almost every Electric team (faced competition as the mega from Mega Ampharos) and those teams didn't even guarantee the type a spot between middling type, but Electric teams have managed this generation to become a middling type with its standard archetype of Alolan Golem/Tapu Koko/Alolan Raichu/Zapdos/Rotom-W/Magnezone, which doesn't really need the presence of Mega Manectric because Tapu Koko provides those teams with a fast special pivot with Electric/Ice coverage while Zapdos and Magnezone have Fire-type coverage. Despite those aspects, i wanted to try Mega Manectric out because it's even faster than Tapu Koko and it's a huge threat for types like Flying, Steel, Bug and Water. This team was originally built by smub so s/o to him. Let's take a deep look at 'Electromagnetic'.

Mega Manectric is what i wanted to build my Electric team around. On paper it seems like Electric has the tools Mega Manectric offers covered with the combination of Tapu Koko as a fast special pivot with Electric/Ice coverage and Zapdos+Magnezone as Pokemon with Fire-type coverage, however Mega Manectric opens the door for running a really fun and unexpected physical Tapu Koko which can lure out threats such as Alolan Muk and Chansey. Mega Manectric has access to valuable Fire-type coverage moves like Overheat and Flamethrower which combined with Hidden Power Ice and STAB Electric-type moves, makes it one of the best and fastest pivots in the metagame.

As i've spoiled above, Tapu Koko was the next to be added since it's the most essential Pokemon on Electric teams having an irreplaceable role setting Electric Terrain upon switch in to increase the power of Electric-type moves by 50%. I opted to run a physical Tapu Koko because i already had Mega Manectric as the fast special pivot with Electric+Ice coverage, which combined with the Electrium-Z can lure out Pokemon like Alolan Muk and Chansey, opening the door for Mega Manectric. Tapu Koko can learn U-turn, which allows it to form a solid VoltTurn core with Mega Manectric.

After adding Tapu Koko, the team required the best form of speed control Electric teams have access to: Alolan Raichu. Alolan Raichu is a very good asset for Electric teams thanks to its ability, Surge Surfer, which doubles its Speed under Electric Terrain allowing it to outspeed the entire metagame. Alolan Raichu is also the Pokemon that makes Electric capable of beating Ground teams with the combination of Grass Knot (for Hippowdon and Seismitoad) and Focus Blast (ensures the OHKO on Excadrill, which is outsped by Alolan Raichu under Electric Terrain despite the sand). Another big tool that Alolan Raichu has brought to Electric teams is its Psychic typing, threatening Mega Venusaur with Psychic which otherwise would be a pain to deal with for Electric teams.

Now the team required a defensive backbone to support the rest of the team, providing one of the most valuable tools for Electric teams: immunity to Ground-type moves. Rotom-W acts as a check for physical attackers like Terrakion and Excadrill (be careful of Moldbreaker when playing against Steel) with Will-O-Wisp, being very useful against Flying or Ground. Zapdos' part Flying typing helps with those threatening Ground-type moves and can remove hazards with Defog (Spikes+Toxic Spikes just murder these type of teams). Appart from Alolan Raichu, this defensive core is the most reliable way to beat Choice Scarf Excadrill.

Finally, the team needed Stealth Rock support to ease the job of the offensive core and Alolan Golem is with no doubt the best fit for that role. Galvanize+Return from Adamant Alolan Golem under Electric Terrain is no joke, leaving it far from being a passive Stealth Rock setter. Alolan Golem also acts as an emergency revenge killer for Volcarona, which is a huge threat for the team.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Overheat
Hidden Power [Ice]

Mega Manectric is one of the fastest pivots in the metagame with 135 base Speed, which combined with its 135 base Special Attack makes that only a few Pokemon don't care about taking a STAB Thunderbolt under Electric Terrain support from Tapu Koko. Volt Switch is another STAB move that allows Mega Manectric to gain momentum for the team while dealing chip damage to foes, forming a nice VoltTurn core with its best partner: Tapu Koko. Using Volt Switch allowed me to pivot to Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu, when facing Chansey and Mega Venusaur respectively. Hidden Power Ice is coverage to hit Ground- and Dragon-types, such as Landorus and Latios, which are either immune or resist Electric-type moves such as Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. This also eases even more the Flying matchup, with Hidden Power Ice hitting Pokemon like Gliscor, Landorus-T and Dragonite. That's why the combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice almost ensure the win in this matchup, barring faster threats such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Mega Aerodactyl. Overheat is Fire-type coverage that Mega Manectric should aim to use against opposing Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor and Jirachi. It's precisely the combination of Electric- and Fire-type coverage what draws Mega Manectric as a big threat for Steel teams. Lightning Rod is the preferred ability before megaevolving to boost its Special Attack when hit by an Electric-type move, something that helps a lot against Xurkitree (on paper it mat not seem like a huge threat but believe me, if you don't play carefully Xurkitree can sweep the team). Intimidate is the ability after megaevolving, helping Mega Manectric to take some hits from the physical side.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Wild Charge
Taunt
Hidden Power [Ice]
U-turn

Tapu Koko is the Pokemon you should always run when building an Electric team. It has been one of the greatest additions that SM brought with an incredible speed tier, an ability that boosts Electric-type moves and a wide range of useful moves. This time i opted for using a mixed set instead of the standard magnet/life orb Tapu Koko. Wild Charge combined with Electrium-Z under Electric Terrain is a one-time use nuke that deals considerable damage to opposing walls, and can surprise opponents that expect that standard Tapu Koko i've just mentioned. This Gigavolt Havoc can get Chansey and Alolan Muk out of the way if they aren't expecting this physical Tapu Koko, opening the door for Alolan Raichu, although you should take into account that the opponent can pivot into Diggersby and Mega Venusaur/Nidoking respectively to scout for the Electric-type move. Taunt is a very useful utility move that fills three important roles: avoid opposing hazards such as Sticky Web from Galvantula and Stealth Rock from Jirachi, prevent walls such as Cradily and Chansey from recovering its health and prevent getting statused. I opted for Hidden Power Ice and Naive nature instead of Brave Bird and Jolly nature, because i found more useful being able to hit effectively Ground-types like Diggersby and Nidoking than having a move only to hit Mega Venusaur. Finally U-turn means Tapu Koko can form a solid VoltTurn core with Mega Manectric, supporting its STAB Electric-type moves with the Electric Terrain resulting from its ability.

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD /252 Spe
Modest Nature
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Focus Blast
Grass Knot

Alolan Raichu was the most important addition for Electric teams appart from Tapu Koko. Its ability, Surge Surfer, combined with with the Electric Terrain set by Tapu Koko allows Alolan Raichu to outspeed the entire metagame even running a Modest nature. Having the room to run a Modest nature is really important because Alolan Raichu's base Special Attack is mediocre (95) so it needs that extra power. Thunderbolt is its best STAB Electric-type, hitting hard under Electric Terrain to everything that doesn't resist Electric-type moves, mainly Water- and Flying-types such as Empoleon and Mega Aerodactyl (this last one is not very common, but with Earthquake and Stone Edge it poses a threat to the team). Psychic is the other STAB move chosen, improving a lot the matchup against Poison and Fighting. Electric teams' best way to deal with Mega Venusaur before the arrival of Alolan Raichu was Choice Specs Magnezone, which wasn't a reliable way to deal with it. That part Psychic typing of Alolan Raichu and its ability is what have let Electric climb to the middling types from the bottom types it was among last gen. Appart from Mega Venusaur, Psychic also lets the team having an easier time against Nihilego and Terrakion. Focus Blast is Fighting coverage used to hit Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Excadrill, being this last one outsped and OHKO under Electric Terrain even with the sand. Focus Blast is also useful for threats like Kyurem-B and Rock-types like Cradily and Tyranitar. Grass Knot is the last coverage move chosen to deal with Water-type Pokemon that are immune to Electric-type moves such as Mega Swampert and Seismitoad, as well as heavy Ground-types like Hippowdon.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVS: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split /
Toxic

Rotom-W is the first member of the defensive backbone of the team, providing a Ground immunity thanks to its ability: Levitate. It acts as a physically defensive pivot (base 107 in both Defense and Special Defense, but base 50 HP) that can check and cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp like Mega Altaria (if it's not running Refresh or Heal Beal), Terrakion, Landorus-T, Excadrill (be careful with Moldbreaker), Mamoswine and Diggersby. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB Electric-type move that hits super effectively a good portion of the Pokemon mentioned above (Rock- and Ground-types) as well as Fire-types like Alolan Marowak, which is really hard to deal with because of Lightning Rod. Volt Switch is the STAB Electric-type move chosen with the purpose of gaining momentum for the team while dealing some chip damage, as well as not being completely walled by Volcanion. In the last slot, i chose Pain Split to have some sort of recovery but Toxic provides another status move to wear down threats like Mega Latias and Mega Charizard X.

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 132 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
Discharge
Defog
Roost
Heat Wave /
Toxic

Zapdos is the second member of the defensive backbone, providing another Ground immunity due to its part Flying typing. The main role that Zapdos fills for the team is its ability to remove entry hazards with Defog, a key asset for a team which relies on pivoting with Volt Switch and U-turn. Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock are very annoying for teams like this. Discharge is the STAB Electric-type move run, although you can run Volt Switch if you feel like it gives more to the team; i prefer the more power and the probability of paralyzing. Roost is a must for reliable recovery, and for the last slot Heat Wave can be run to hit Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Excadrill but Toxic is an alternative to increase you chances against Volcarona, Mega Latias and Mega Charizard X.

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Abillity: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Return
Stone Edge
Earthquake /
Explosion
Stealth Rock

Alolan Golem is the last member of the team, but not the least important. Stealth Rock supports its offensive teammates, being extremely useful against types like Fire and Bug that include threats like Mega Charizard X and Volcarona. Stealth Rock is also very important to wear down Choice Scarf Nihilego to put it in range of Psychic from Alolan Raichu. Return becomes a STAB Electric-type move thanks to Galvanize, and to illustrate its power: 252+ Atk Galvanize Golem-Alola Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 412-486 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Alolan Golem is also an emergency check for threats like Volcarona, Kyurem-B, Mega Charizard X and Nihilego, if it manages to preserve its HP at full and the Focus Sash intact. Stone Edge is its best STAB Rock-type move and it's used to hit Pokemon that don't care about Return or Earthquake. Earthquake is coverage for Nidoking and Dragalge, but Explosion can be run to avoid Armaldo and Avalugg using Rapid Spin.

I've had a lot of fun with this team despite not being one of the best types to use. Electric has always been one of my favourite types and being able to play it and see its improvement from last gen has been a great experience. Mega Manectric might not be the best option for Electric teams, but it's still a good offensive Pokemon that destroys on its own types likes Flying and Steel (this last one makes me very happy, no love for Steel). Thanks for reading!

I know this thing is not very common, but Mega Beedrill is a threat for this team. It has an Adaptability-boosted U-turn to pivot and wear down Rotom-W, Poison Jab to deal as much damage as possible also boosted by Adaptability and Drill Run for coverage. Mega Beedrill is also faster than the entire team except from Alolan Raichu under Electric Terrain. Preserve Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu or you'd be in trouble.

Mega Tyranitar is one of the biggest threats for the team, having access to Dragon Dance to boost its Attack and Speed while having a very respectable bulk (100/150/120) with its Special Defense being boosted by the Sandstorm provided by its ability. Z-Wild Charge Tapu Koko, Will-O-Wisp Rotom-W and Intimidate Mega Manectric are the ways to deal with it.

Electric teams do not have a good time against those two. Kyurem Black is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, and the combination of Ice Beam, Earth Power and Teravolt murders this team. Focus Blast Alolan Raichu is the only real way to deal with it, which has the problem of the accuracy. Mega Altaria is really bulky and Hidden Power Ice is not enough to avoid it sweeping your team. It can also run Refresh to make Will-O-Wisp from Rotom-W useless. Toxic spamming with Zapdos is a way to deal with it with the help of Pressure, as well as the combination of Stealth Rock and Alolan Raichu.

Xurkitree at +1 (either because of Choice Scarf or Z-Hypnosis) must be taken into consideration or it will simply destroy this team. Beast Boost+Electric Terrain+base 173 Special Attack is a threat to everything that is not immune to Electric-type moves. Alolan Raichu can't even OHKO after Stealth Rock,so more chip damage is needed. Preserving Alolan Golem's Focus Sash intact is another option.

This Guardian of Alola tends to run Choice Scarf (although sometimes it runs a Z-crystal) which makes it faster than all the team except from Alolan Raichu under Electric Terrain, and boost its Grass-type moves with its ability. It also learns Stone Edge to hit Flying-types like Zapdos. Wearing it down to the range where Alolan Raichu can get rid of Tapu Bulu is the your best bet, but that's extremely difficult due to Horn Leech allowing it to recovery some HP.

Mega Charizard X can threaten this team boosting its Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance and using moves like Flare Blitz, Dragon Claw or Earthquake. Stealth Rock is key to put it in range of Alolan Raichu. Another way to get rid of it is preserving Alolan Golem's Focus Sash intact.

Lightning Rod allows Alolan Marowak not caring about Mega Manectric, Tapu Koko and Zapdos, and the other three members of the team aren't switchins for it. Hydro Pump and Toxic are the best ways to deal with Alolan Marowak (if both Alolan Golem and Marowak are max speed and Adamant there would be a speed tie, where Focus Sash does not matter because of Bonemerang).

Probably the most unwinnable matchup for Electric. While Electric was blessed with Alolan Raichu this gen, which can break Grass' defensive core, Grass got rewarded with Tapu Bulu and as i've mentioned above that's too much for this team.

Ground is not an easy matchup for Electric, as it could be expected, but it's not as difficult as the type weakness says. Alolan Raichu can outspeed and OHKO Excadrill with Focus Blast under Electric Terrain, even if Sand is up. It also has Grass Knot to deal with Seismitoad. But Ground teams can play around Alolan Raichu wearing it down with Sand, Stealth Rock and Life Orb.

Kyurem-B is a huge threat for the reasons i've mentioned above, and Piloswine is very bulky with the support of the Eviolite and also has the support of Lapras to avoid Hydro Pump from Rotom-W. You'll always need to wear it down to put it in Alolan Raichu's range.

Normal teams have the best defensive core in the metagame: Chansey and Porygon2. That's where physical Tapu Koko can help, but it would still be very difficult to beat a Normal team with this team. Normal also has one of the best wallbreakers, Diggersby, which has part Ground typing and priority.

Alolan Muk is what stops Alolan Raichu from sweeping Poison teams; good Special Defense combined with Assault Vest and Pursuit to trap Alolan Raichu. That's why the first step when fighting a Poison team is to get rid of Alolan Muk. The second step is putting Nihilego in range of Psychic from Alolan Raichu or it will just sweep the entire team.

Mega Latias is one of the biggest threats i've found when playing this team. It has good bulk (80/120/150) and can boost its Special Attack and Special Defense with Calm Mind. Taunt from Tapu Koko helps with this problem but it would be still very hard to wear it down. Toxic is the best option for that, although Mega Latias can run Refresh.

Rock is a bad matchup for this team, with Choice Scarf Terrakion outspeeding the entire team with Sticky Web up, Nihilego and Mega Diancie being other huge offensive threats that the defensive core can't handle that well, and AV Tyranitar being able to Pursuit trap Alolan Raichu.

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Defog
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Moosical (torkool) for making the cool banner and the text as usual. Nice guy that have always helped me.
smub for building the structure of the team and helping always.
stat1c for...don't really know.
Eien for always answering my questions about teambuilding.
Vid Wanka 1 True Lycan for helping with teambuilding
czim the guide you made about building Electric teams in ORAS was the reason i became interested in Electric teams.

Last edited:
Tapu Koko got access to Thunder Punch with USUM
Maybe it could be useful since it provides good damage with STAB, Orb and Terrain, avoiding the recoil of Wild Charge

Tapu Koko got access to Thunder Punch with USUM
Maybe it could be useful since it provides good damage with STAB, Orb and Terrain, avoiding the recoil of Wild Charge

The whole point of physical Koko here is Electrium Z. Thunder Punch weakens that, and besides, it's just not strong enough to use as a lone STAB in general. I wouldn't pay any attention to that suggestion.

The whole point of physical Koko here is Electrium Z. Thunder Punch weakens that, and besides, it's just not strong enough to use as a lone STAB in general. I wouldn't pay any attention to that suggestion.
"I wouldn't pay any attention to that suggestion", definitely not the kindest sentence I've seen
Also, the difference between Z Wild Charge and Z Thunder Punch is 175 vs 140
It sure is a big difference, but we're talking about a Pokèmon with STAB, a solid 115 base Atk, who summons Electric Terrain and holds a Life Orb
It still OHKOs those who he wants to OHKO, with the difference that Thunder Punch is way more spammable than Wild Charge, it doesn't have its recoil and still holds a lot of power itself
I'm not saying that he MUST run it over WG, it was just a suggestion

Last edited:
"I wouldn't pay any attention to that suggestion", definitely not the kindest sentence I've seen
It sure is a big difference, but we're talking about a Pokèmon with STAB, a solid 115 base Atk, who summons Electric Terrain and holds a Life Orb
It still OHKOs those who he wants to OHKO, with the difference that Thunder Punch is way more spammable than Wild Charge, it doesn't have its recoil and still holds a lot of power itself
Your suggestion is ok, however Tapu Koko really needs those extra 35 base power Z-move to get some KOs or at least to put foes in range of fainting from the next attack. This team was also built before tutors came out, so that's why didn't even consider Thunder Punch. Thank you for your suggestion anyways!

I was just being frank to get the point across, didn't mean to sound like a dick.

140-175 is a huge difference though, particularly against the most bulky neutral threats in the tier:

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 520-613 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 417-492 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 225-265 (32 - 37.6%) -- 92.5% chance to 3HKO

As the above calcs show - and this is just one example - standard Eviolite Chansey turns from an easily guaranteed OHKO by 175 BP Havoc followed by Wild Charge to less than a 50% chance with 140 + Thunder Punch assuming the opponent can keep rocks off the field.

More important, however, is the far more likely scenario: in most situations, the Chansey user will switch out if at all possible after the Z-Move, and the extra damage matters even more here. Let's look at the strongest special attack any member of this team can use against the blob:

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 190-226 (27 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Now check back on the calcs for the Z-moves. Again, if it was hit by Z-Wild Charge, it's an easy KO: with Thunder Punch, you're doing 86.3 - 102%, which amounts to something like a 7% chance at best if my math is right and isn't even a guaranteed kill after a round of rocks. All this is important because, if Chansey ends up surviving the ordeal, it can heal back up and be able to get back to its job with the threat of the Z-lure completely gone.

And, of course, keep in mind that the team's other special attackers need Chansey weakened even further to have a shot at finishing it before the recovery: for reference, Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt does a meager 16% at best, meaning that even after Z-Thunder Punch and one round of rocks, it still always survives and gets to heal, whereas Z-WC + one rocks switch + TBolt will always KO.

Again, Chansey is only one example: I just wanted to illustrate how important the extra BP can be. Recoil can suck at times, but for a physical Electric, it's the lesser of two evils. (And yes, I know this is somewhat of a moot point since the OP already stated and explained their own thoughts on the matter, but it seemed like some explanation of my thought process was necessary.)

One last note, Zhaxean: you keep mentioning Life Orb, but Koko's already holding the Z-Crystal. Without a boosting item, the extra BP is even more important.

I was just being frank to get the point across, didn't mean to sound like a dick.

140-175 is a huge difference though, particularly against the most bulky neutral threats in the tier:

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 520-613 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 417-492 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 225-265 (32 - 37.6%) -- 92.5% chance to 3HKO

As the above calcs show - and this is just one example - standard Eviolite Chansey turns from an easily guaranteed OHKO by 175 BP Havoc followed by Wild Charge to less than a 50% chance with 140 + Thunder Punch assuming the opponent can keep rocks off the field.

More important, however, is the far more likely scenario: in most situations, the Chansey user will switch out if at all possible after the Z-Move, and the extra damage matters even more here. Let's look at the strongest special attack any member of this team can use against the blob:

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 190-226 (27 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Now check back on the calcs for the Z-moves. Again, if it was hit by Z-Wild Charge, it's an easy KO: with Thunder Punch, you're doing 86.3 - 102%, which amounts to something like a 7% chance at best if my math is right and isn't even a guaranteed kill after a round of rocks. All this is important because, if Chansey ends up surviving the ordeal, it can heal back up and be able to get back to its job with the threat of the Z-lure completely gone.

And, of course, keep in mind that the team's other special attackers need Chansey weakened even further to have a shot at finishing it before the recovery: for reference, Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt does a meager 16% at best, meaning that even after Z-Thunder Punch and one round of rocks, it still always survives and gets to heal, whereas Z-WC + one rocks switch + TBolt will always KO.

Again, Chansey is only one example: I just wanted to illustrate how important the extra BP can be. Recoil can suck at times, but for a physical Electric, it's the lesser of two evils. (And yes, I know this is somewhat of a moot point since the OP already stated and explained their own thoughts on the matter, but it seemed like some explanation of my thought process was necessary.)

One last note, Zhaxean: you keep mentioning Life Orb, but Koko's already holding the Z-Crystal. Without a boosting item, the extra BP is even more important.
Yeah, the calcs pretty much show everything
And I sure feel stupid to notice just now that he is obviously not holding Life Orb
Guess I'm to attached to Koko Orb set
Thanks for being fully clear btw

Hey. This team is really awesome, and I enjoyed reading through it. Looking at the team, I only have one real suggestion:

Overheat>Flamethrower on Mega Manectric: This allows it to score a few KOs that it wouldn't be capable of scoring with Flamethrower, such as Tapu Bulu, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn:

Tapu Bulu
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 210-248 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 304-358 (108.1 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is especially important since after Intimidate, Choice Scarf sets can't KO you from full health:
-1 252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 237-279 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Excadrill
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 286-338 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 412-486 (114.1 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ferrothorn
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 276-328 (78.4 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 400-472 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also in your threatlist you should probably mention Rock, since Scarf Terrakion outspeeds the entire team with Sticky Web up, and the defensive core can't reliably handle other offensive threats like LO Nihilego and Mega Diancie. Additionally, Alolan Raichu gets Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar if it's carrying Assault Vest.

Outside of those edits, the team looks great. I hope this rate helped!

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey. This team is really awesome, and I enjoyed reading through it. Looking at the team, I only have one real suggestion:

Overheat>Flamethrower on Mega Manectric: This allows it to score a few KOs that it wouldn't be capable of scoring with Flamethrower, such as Tapu Bulu, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn:

Tapu Bulu
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 210-248 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 304-358 (108.1 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is especially important since after Intimidate, Choice Scarf sets can't KO you from full health:
-1 252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 237-279 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Excadrill
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 286-338 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 412-486 (114.1 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ferrothorn
Flamethrower:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 276-328 (78.4 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Overheat:
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Overheat vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Ferrothorn: 400-472 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also in your threatlist you should probably mention Rock, since Scarf Terrakion outspeeds the entire team with Sticky Web up, and the defensive core can't reliably handle other offensive threats like LO Nihilego and Mega Diancie. Additionally, Alolan Raichu gets Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar if it's carrying Assault Vest.

Outside of those edits, the team looks great. I hope this rate helped!

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Thanks for the suggestions smub, i've added them since both make a lot of sense.

Hi! Cool team you have here! Actually, I made an almost perfect replica of this team some time ago that had some very small differences from your team. These are merely suggestions that are up to preference, so could change your team accordingly or keep it as it is.

Firstly, when I created the team (before USUM), Zapdos was also my Defogger (duh). Now that Rotom-W gets Defog, I changed the roles around: Rotom-W was now my Defogger while Zapdos could now carry BOTH Heat Wave and Toxic (Defog > Pain Split / Toxic on Rotom-W and Heat Wave + Toxic > Defog + Heat Wave / Toxic on Zapdos).

Secondly, before it could get Defog, I'd always prefered giving a Wiki Berry instead of Leftovers to Rotom-W for an instantaneous 50% recovery when at or below 25% HP to better deal with those strong attackers like Diggersby and Terrakion before KOing them with Hydro Pump, but with Pain Split being a much more popular 4th move (I went with Toxic instead, hence the Wiki Berry), Leftovers were usually much more prefered. Now, with Rotom-W carrying Defog over Pain Split (or Toxic), giving it a Wiki Berry becomes much more appealing as it somewhat replaces Pain Split's recovery purposes and let's it deal with crazy strong threats (Wiki Berry > Leftovers on Rotom-W).

Thirdly, even though Zapdos acts as a special pivot, giving it Static instead of Pressure is a cool tech to punish physical attaclers that use contact moves by possibly paralyzing them (Bulu on a Grass STAB move, Scarf Lando-T (and pretty much everything else) on a U-Turn, etc.). I've always loved the combination of Discharge + Static on Zapdos, but I can see the appeal of keeping Pressure (Static > Pressure on Zapdos).

Finally, give Alolan Raichu 29 HP IVs to reduce LO recoil. That is all.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Like I said, Zapdos' and Rotom-W's new sets are merely up to personal preference, but I've enjoyed them so far and maybe you'll like them too!

Have a nice day! Ü

Hi! Cool team you have here! Actually, I made an almost perfect replica of this team some time ago that had some very small differences from your team. These are merely suggestions that are up to preference, so could change your team accordingly or keep it as it is.

Firstly, when I created the team (before USUM), Zapdos was also my Defogger (duh). Now that Rotom-W gets Defog, I changed the roles around: Rotom-W was now my Defogger while Zapdos could now carry BOTH Heat Wave and Toxic (Defog > Pain Split / Toxic on Rotom-W and Heat Wave + Toxic > Defog + Heat Wave / Toxic on Zapdos).

Secondly, before it could get Defog, I'd always prefered giving a Wiki Berry instead of Leftovers to Rotom-W for an instantaneous 50% recovery when at or below 25% HP to better deal with those strong attackers like Diggersby and Terrakion before KOing them with Hydro Pump, but with Pain Split being a much more popular 4th move (I went with Toxic instead, hence the Wiki Berry), Leftovers were usually much more prefered. Now, with Rotom-W carrying Defog over Pain Split (or Toxic), giving it a Wiki Berry becomes much more appealing as it somewhat replaces Pain Split's recovery purposes and let's it deal with crazy strong threats (Wiki Berry > Leftovers on Rotom-W).

Thirdly, even though Zapdos acts as a special pivot, giving it Static instead of Pressure is a cool tech to punish physical attaclers that use contact moves by possibly paralyzing them (Bulu on a Grass STAB move, Scarf Lando-T (and pretty much everything else) on a U-Turn, etc.). I've always loved the combination of Discharge + Static on Zapdos, but I can see the appeal of keeping Pressure (Static > Pressure on Zapdos).

Finally, give Alolan Raichu 29 HP IVs to reduce LO recoil. That is all.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Like I said, Zapdos' and Rotom-W's new sets are merely up to personal preference, but I've enjoyed them so far and maybe you'll like them too!

Have a nice day! Ü
I agree with all your suggestions since i think all of them make the team better.
  • I never thought about berries as an item for Rotom-W but looking at your suggestion i feel like it's better to only orientate the item for recovery instead of orientating the item and one move (Leftovers+Pain Split). That looks even better in USUM where Rotom-W can run Defog, precisely in the slot that Wiki Berry freed.
  • Running Defog on Rotom-W allows Zapdos to run both Toxic and Heat Wave, which to everyone that have played Electric is huge.
  • Static vs Pressure i feel like it's up to personal preference, but i'll try Static to see how it works.
  • Thank you for reminding me about Life Orb recoil in Alolan Raichu.
Thanks for all the suggestions, have a nice day!

Hello everyone, this is a team update after all the suggestions that people made and that definetely improve the team:

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Overheat>Flamethrower
This change allows Mega Manectric to get some important KOs, such as the ones on Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn and Excadrill. Being able to get rid of those threats with one move is very important for this team, since as i've stated in the RMT, Tapu Bulu and Excadrill are 2 of the biggest threats in the current meta for this team, and Ferrothorn can be very annoying with the Leech Seed+Protect combination.

29 HP IVs>31 HP IVs
This minor change reduces Life Orb recoil to allow Alolan Raichu to hit more times.

Wiki Berry
+Defog>Leftovers+Pain Split

With the new changes that came out with USUM Rotom-W can now learn Defog, and can cover that role better than Zapdos as it's not weak to Stealth Rock. Running Defog over Pain Split leaves Rotom-W with no recovery outside of Leftovers, and Wiki Berry can help with that allowing to switch in Pokemon like Terrakion and Diggersby and threatening them with Hydro Pump.

Toxic+Static>Defog+Pressure
With Rotom-W acting as the defogger of the team, Zapdos gains a free slot to run Toxic, to help the team dealing better with non-Refresh Mega Latias, and Heat Wave, to not be walled by Excadrill and Ferrothorn. Static punishes physical moves from the likes of Tapu Bulu and Landorus-T.

This is the most updated version of the team for the current metagame. Enjoy all the changes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)