Metagame Effective Creative & Underrated Sets [REPLAYS REQUIRED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have another quick set; we always talk about how Floatzel's variability is one of the factors that has been instrumental in bringing Floatzel as far as S rank since Poliwrath left, and this set exemplifies that notion perfectly. Normally, Politoed is a sufficient switch-in that is often able to stop whatever Floatzel is trying to do, especially if Floatzel is being played in predictable ways, such as attempting to revenge KO Monferno with Aqua Jet or hitting Roselia on the switch with Ice Beam. This set takes advantage of current teambuilding trends, wherein the only possible defensive answers to Floatzel on opposing teams are often limited to Water Absorb Pokemon like Politoed or Lapras (Lapras only if Floatzel is lacking Fighting-type coverage), fat Grass-types (Tangela and Gourgeist-XL for physical or Gogoat and Roselia for special), Pokemon with high Special Defense like Regice, and bulky Normal-types like AV Bouffalant and Audino (the latter 3 examples constituting switch-ins for specially based Floatzel, not physical).

This set, while it may look like a typo and is not meant to be Focus Blast, pressures these common Floatzel switch-ins with ease:

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

or

Floatzel @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Aqua Jet / Ice coverage / Water STAB / filler has always been Floatzel's go-to set if Aqua Jet is being used, regardless of what filler option you're using (that last slot could be Hidden Power Grass, Focus Blast, Taunt, Baton Pass, Switcheroo, Low Kick, Frustration, Surf, Power-up Punch, or even Rain Dance with Swift Swim). That will remain true for this set as well.

Focus Punch is another filler option that many do not consider, but it is actually pretty cool. Even uninvested, it takes Politoed down to around 50% if special LO, or a maximum of 30% if CB. After the first Focus Punch, Politoed's user is forced into a guessing game where they may no longer be switching back to Politoed for the purpose of beating Floatzel because your opponent may fear additional Focus Punches. This sometimes let you safely use your Water or Ice attacks for whatever you need, assuming your opponent is in fact opting out of losing Politoed earlier in the match in favor of checking something else like Golem later on in the battle.

If you're using the first set (mixed specially offensive), this will definitely lure in Pokemon with high Special Defense like Gogoat, AV Bouffalant, Audino, Regice, etc. Notice how these all take huge amounts of damage from Focus Punch, even with a minimal level of investment in Attack. After that, Ice Beam or Hydro Pump can easily finish them off if they happen to survive that surprise Focus Punch:
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regice: 294-346 (98.3 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Regice: 291-343 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. (AV) 248 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 307-361 (78.1 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Audino: 330-390 (80.6 - 95.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Gogoat: 216-255 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-->
252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 228 HP / 232+ SpD Gogoat: 161-192 (36.2 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (entry hazard(s) --> FP --> IB beats Gogoat in a lot of scenarios)
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 186-220 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 267-315 (71.9 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Lapras: 354-416 (78.4 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
BONUS: 4 Atk Life Orb Floatzel Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Scraggy lol: 260-307 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Replay where it ganks Politoed on the switch:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-338081696 (turn 19)

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Milk Drink
- Horn Leech

The primary goal of this set is to lure Gourgeist-Super and Tangela, the hard counters to standard Gogoat, with Substitute followed by a Toxic. It certainly succeeds at that goal, but it also lures a lot of other pokemon. Articuno, Scarf Rotom-F, and other special attackers are outstalled. Physical attackers using Recoil inducing moves, such as Dodrio and Monferno, are easily outlasted by the combination of Substitute and Milk Drink, while you can switch out at full health. It is great against stall as well because Audino and Grumpig and Altaria are easily PP stalled of Heal Bells. Just overall a nice set that can put work throughout the whole game. Make sure to pack counters to Rose and Arbok and Pawn though as teammates.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Not creative, but certainly underrated and needs more use:

I've tested this set a decent amount recently, and I've come to the conclusion it is THE best current Simisear set in the metagame. It is an incredible wallbreaker that breaks through almost all of its common answers. Stunfisk, who is a counter to the physically based set, is nearly 2HKOd by Fire Blast. Altaria, Gabite, and Vibrava, generally considered hard checks, are eliminated by HP ice. Relicanth and Golem cannot take a Focus Blast, and neither can Audino, providing you have good luck. In fact, the ONLY common pokemon that can check this set are Colbur Grumpig and Politoed. It just sears its way through a lot of common balance teams otherwise.

252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 192-227 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Fire Blast vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Grumpig: 90-107 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 252-299 (78.5 - 93.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 240 SpD Golem: 294-346 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 153-181 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 221-263 (53.9 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 270-322 (76.4 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gabite: 302-359 (89 - 105.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Mr._Mime_XY.gif

Mr. Mime @ TwistedSpoon
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

So this set has been floating around with ShuckleDeath being the most recent one to make a post about something similar. This set is meant to bluff the significantly more used Choice Scarf variant and then Nasty Plot on the switch. At +2, Mime obliterates defensive teams with the dual STAB + Focus Blast. Here are some calcs for some proof:

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 346-408 (84.3 - 99.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 277-327 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 192-226 (57.4 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 186-219 (51 - 60.1%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 490-578 (124.6 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 205-243 (59.5 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Metang: 175-207 (54 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 331-391 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Armaldo: 261-307 (73.7 - 86.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Regice: 262-309 (84.7 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 272-324 (79.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 262-309 (81.6 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 302-356 (76.8 - 90.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gogoat: 385-454 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Twisted Spoon Mr. Mime Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 190-225 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Honestly, I just posted calcs on all of the usual defensive PU mons

90 base speed is actually pretty good for disassembling defensive cores, and Mime is actually getting slower as a scarfer since people have started to resort to faster scarfs like Dodrio and Simipour so a shift in role is viable. This set is pretty underrated and I had a good amount of success in the Winter Seasonal with it. Try it out if you need a mon to break open defensive cores and teams in general.

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam

So here's a cool little set that kind of just randomly came to mind, but it turns out it's pretty effective. With Charge Beam, you have a solid way of breaking bulkier Pokemon such as Audino and Grumpig. The basic idea of the set is that once you've weakened a bulkier Pokemon, you can use Charge Beam as it switches in, giving you a 70% chance of a SpA boost, and then you can beat said Pokemon. This set works really nice with Toxic Spikes, wearing down the annoying Pokemon like Camerupt and Seaking that can still check you pretty effectively. Here's a pretty cool replay from my seasonal round 9 game, even if it was against monoletter A, it really shows its effectiveness and its ability to get past Pokemon such as Audino and clean up late-game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-342623763.

Enjoy the set!

Also I updated the thread, sadly I started to run out of space for text again, so I'll just be removing sets that are now standard.

Ursaring (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Crunch
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake/Swords Dance
So, I will be posting two sets on Ursaring. This one is meant to utilize trick room, which can be devastating to fast offensive teams. The power coming of a Guts boosted, STAB, 394 max attack, and burn boosted Facade is insane. Hammer Arm speeds Ursaring up in TR, Crunch kills ghost types, and Earthquake hits Stunfisk and other ground weak threats. Earthquake can be replaced by other coverage moves or Swords Dance.
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 217-256 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 180-214 (48.1 - 57.2%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, even the best defensive walls cannot switch in on unboosted Ursaring in Trick Room.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-295889348
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-343070828

Ursaring @ Chesto Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Frustration
- Rest
- Crunch
This next set is somewhat hard to set up, but it can be deadly when facing passive special attackers. Ursaring's HP is nothing to scoff at, and it assists it in utilizing Bulk Up. Facade can be used over Frustration as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: g

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot
So, I will be posting two sets on Ursaring. This one is meant to utilize trick room, which can be devastating to fast offensive teams. The power coming of a Guts boosted, STAB, 394 max attack, and burn boosted Facade is insane. Hammer Arm speeds Ursaring up in TR, Crunch kills ghost types, and Gunk Shot destroys Tangela. Gunk Shot can be replaced by other coverage moves or Swords Dance.
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Tangela: 206-244 (61.6 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dusknoir: 184-218 (62.5 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 217-256 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 180-214 (48.1 - 57.2%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, even the best defensive walls cannot switch in on unboosted Ursaring in Trick Room.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-295889348
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-343070828

Ursaring @ Chesto Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Frustration
- Rest
- Crunch
This next set is somewhat hard to set up, but it can be deadly when facing passive special attackers. Ursaring's HP is nothing to scoff at, and it assists it in utilizing Bulk Up. Facade can be used over Frustration as well.
Gunk Shot isn't necessary on Ursaring at all as Tangela is already 2HKO'd by Facade after Stealth Rock.

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Defensive Dusknoir isn't a thing as it's outclassed by Gourgeist-XL and since your running Trick Room, you should be running 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature on that set. As for the second set, it looks like it is trying to hard to be a bulky attacker especially since after you use Chesto Berry the first time and Rest again, your opponent gets 2 free turns to either set up and knock Ursaring out afterwards.

Gunk Shot isn't necessary on Ursaring at all as Tangela is already 2HKO'd by Facade after Stealth Rock.

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 165-195 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Defensive Dusknoir isn't a thing as it's outclassed by Gourgeist-XL and since your running Trick Room, you should be running 0 Speed IVs and a Brave nature on that set. As for the second set, it looks like it is trying to hard to be a bulky attacker especially since after you use Chesto Berry the first time and Rest again, your opponent gets 2 free turns to either set up and knock Ursaring out afterwards.
Lol I forgot Trick Room IVs and Brave nature. I also didn't bother calculating Facade on Tangela. I'll edit this, but thank you.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail
Since there has been talk about dropping fraxure on VR and im out of seasonal I don't see why not post this. SD fraxure isn't too creative, but its seriously underrated considering I don't think I've ever played it. Outside of having a nice matchup vs bulky teams and balanced, offense can sometimes have problems OHKO'ing it and Fraxure can lure and KO almost any physically defensive pokemon, so basically is a very powerful wallbreaker, and its nice bulk makes it useful vs offensive teams as at high health it can take hits like stoutland's cb reutrn. Eg:
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 250-295 (66.8 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (wins over half the time if lefties geist if its at 100%)
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 322-379 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And also KOs every offensive Pokemon

I see less Clefairy these days so i don't use Poison Jab and with Adamant Fraxure KO's Golem through sturdy. Latter EV spread is just min investment to always OHKO lead golem then a bit of bulk is nice vs offense (specs floatzel has a 20% chance to OHKO rather than 60%), and jolly only beats like adamant kingler/mightyena. Taunt or Dragon Claw is an option over atail if you have other ways for Golem/dont feel its needed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-344522052
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-344033090
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-340730556
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-333493044

As you can see I like to use it as a lead as vs hazard setters is its best time to set up, and overall it's performed every time i've used it.

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

I've been using this set and variants of this set (predominately leftovers) a ton recently and I think it's on par with the standard SD set or even better in some cases. Toxic gives Leafeon the ability to cripple all of its usual switch-ins and allows it to break common balance cores and defensive cores like Stunfisk + Vullaby, Audino + Gourgeist-XL, Stunfisk, Tangela + Audino, Golem+ Politoed+ Jumpluff, and almost any variation of the pokemon I'm about to mention. Mons like Tangela, Vullaby, Avalugg, Quilladin, Monferno, and Jumpluff all get put on a timer with toxic and walls that "needed to be kept healthy" are now ruined by a surprise toxic for other strong physical teammates (Sub SD Bouff, Ursaring, Stoutland, Machoke).

So this set gives up the sweeping potential of SD but in return gives you breaking potential for other hard hitting sweepers. I've been using this set on balance with high success as this set benefits from being able to switch out into bulkier mons like Vullaby and pivot into physical wallbreakers once the target has been tox/knocked. To comment on my first statement about it being better than standard SD in some cases; I've noticed that because of Leafeon's speed tier and the prevalence of bulky grass types and fast special attackers (often with ice coverage) Leafeon serves the role of a ground resist and balance breaker much better than it fills the role of an SD sweeper. Anyway, hope you guys give it a try (Also, Leftovers works as its item too but you play with your life on WP lead golems lol). And finally, I didn't include calcs/replays because calcs aren't too relevant as this is a status move and I only have recordings of this set in action and I'm trying to remain above shameless youtube advertising.

EDIT: Actually forgot that a major point of this set is it allows Leafeon to beat Gourgeist-XL and Vullaby 1v1 if need be.
0 Atk Vullaby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Leafeon: 105-124 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Leafeon: 70-83 (25.8 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage

Without Optimized EVs for Monferno
252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 246-290 (90.7 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 123-145 (45.3 - 53.5%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

With Optimized EVs for Monferno
252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Leafeon: 236-282 (87 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 32 Def Leafeon: 118-141 (43.5 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO

Slightly Bigger EDIT: I optimized the spread and updated the calcs so that Leafeon can have more bulk and better handle physical hits from Monferno while still being able to get the crucial 2 Bullet KO it needs on golem

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

I've been using this set and variants of this set (predominately leftovers) a ton recently and I think it's on par with the standard SD set or even better in some cases. Toxic gives Leafeon the ability to cripple all of its usual switch-ins and allows it to break common balance cores and defensive cores like Stunfisk + Vullaby, Audino + Gourgeist-XL, Stunfisk, Tangela + Audino, Golem+ Politoed+ Jumpluff, and almost any variation of the pokemon I'm about to mention. Mons like Tangela, Vullaby, Avalugg, Quilladin, Monferno, and Jumpluff all get put on a timer with toxic and walls that "needed to be kept healthy" are now ruined by a surprise toxic for other strong physical teammates (Sub SD Bouff, Ursaring, Stoutland, Machoke).

So this set gives up the sweeping potential of SD but in return gives you breaking potential for other hard hitting sweepers. I've been using this set on balance with high success as this set benefits from being able to switch out into bulkier mons like Vullaby and pivot into physical wallbreakers once the target has been tox/knocked. To comment on my first statement about it being better than standard SD in some cases; I've noticed that because of Leafeon's speed tier and the prevalence of bulky grass types and fast special attackers (often with ice coverage) Leafeon serves the role of a ground resist and balance breaker much better than it fills the role of an SD sweeper. Anyway, hope you guys give it a try (Also, Leftovers works as its item too but you play with your life on WP lead golems lol). And finally, I didn't include calcs/replays because calcs aren't too relevant as this is a status move and I only have recordings of this set in action and I'm trying to remain above shameless youtube advertising.

EDIT: Actually forgot that a major point of this set is it allows Leafeon to beat Gourgeist-XL and Vullaby 1v1 if need be.
0 Atk Vullaby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 109-130 (40.2 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 73-87 (26.9 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
I like the looks of this set. My question is being a toxic lure is there any gain from running more bulk and less attack?

I like the looks of this set. My question is being a toxic lure is there any gain from running more bulk and less attack?
That's a really good point! I optimized the spread so that LO Bullet Seed can still 2 Bullet KO Golem guaranteed and I put 32 evs in defense so that Leafeon now has a significantly better chance to survive a Flare Blitz OHKO/CC 2HKO from Monferno at full.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
523.png

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This should not be the set that people think "only idiots like Megazard run it". Creative, no, but people just don't think about HP grass that much. Tank Golem is now considered an easy way to slap on a Zebra counter, and this set punishes that. If you arent really concerned with Gabite or Vibrava, ez option. I didn't really save stuff but got 2 replays vs shuckledeath and dundies bc replays are good and it shows how ppl don't expect that and it wins games (w/out dpunch but whatever point still stands it's an effective lure which does winz)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-350286109
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-344576440

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

So here's a pretty cool Simisear set I've used a bit recently and I've had some good success with. The concept is simple, you basically drop Rock Slide and gain the ability to prevent stuff like Twave, Wish, Recover, Sticky Web, etc, making Simisear an even more threatening wallbreaker. Rock Slide was mainly for Pelipper, which has now left PU, and it only really hits Altaria, which Simisear can just Knock Off on the switch, then Taunt to prevent it from using Roost. Rock Slide was also a big target for Fire-types such as Ninetales and Rapidash, which just aren't as good nor common in this meta with the rise in usage of Monferno, which is hit harder by Superpower. So yeah, have fun with this set (also look at how cute the Pokesho sprite is :toast:).

도트_6XY_400.gif
Bibarel @ (optional)
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 Atk / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Quick Attack

Biberal can make a nice counter lead to common lead rockers such as Golem. Having access to Taunt and also Stealth rock, it can bring Golems to their Sturdy then proceed to Quick Attack while dodging Sucker Punch/Custap. The 136 in Defense I invested in is to allow Biberal to be 2HKO'd instead of being 1HKO'd, 120 speed is to allow Biberal to out run base 45 pokemons. Even though people look as Biberal as one of the "useless" pokemon I think it can serve a purpose in PU.

Last edited:

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog

So here's a pretty cool set that I've been using a lot lately - defensive Swanna. I wasn't gonna post because lazy, but a lot of people ask me for the spread so I figured why not. The main draw from defensive Swanna is the ability to counter Machoke and Monferno (unless they have Thunder Punch which shouldn't be used at all rn) as well as being a strong check to Pokemon such as Floatzel and Simipour (again, unless HP Electric, which shouldn't be used rn). With Lefties you have pretty good survivability and you can Defog on a good amount of common Pokemon and spread burns with Scald. 28 Speed and a Timid nature allows you to outspeed Adamant Monferno, that way if you're weakened you can still Roost on it, which is really nice. Hurricane allows you to do more damage to Roselia, while Air Slash is always nice for reliability on a defensive Pokemon. Somewhat similar to Pelipper in this aspect except you can't use U-turn, though you have more offensive capability, so kind of a give and take there.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog

So here's a pretty cool set that I've been using a lot lately - defensive Swanna. I wasn't gonna post because lazy, but a lot of people ask me for the spread so I figured why not. The main draw from defensive Swanna is the ability to counter Machoke and Monferno (unless they have Thunder Punch which shouldn't be used at all rn) as well as being a strong check to Pokemon such as Floatzel and Simipour (again, unless HP Electric, which shouldn't be used rn). With Lefties you have pretty good survivability and you can Defog on a good amount of common Pokemon and spread burns with Scald. Somewhat similar to Pelipper in this aspect except you can't use U-turn, though you have more offensive capability, so kind of a give and take there.
what does the 28 speed + timid nature do?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Stunfisk @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 44 HP / 224 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Yawn / Pain Split

This is a spread that I originally used in OU about five months ago 'cause fuck VoltTurn, but I recently brought it onto the PU ladder and have had a lot of fun using it. Mixed defensive Stunfisk is really interesting to use, with it being disgustingly bulky and enjoying the extra special bulk immensely. The given EVs (credit to -Magic- for calculating them) hit 370 HP and the last jump point in defense. A few examples of things that this spread can achieve include barely living Simipour's Hydro Pump at full health, allowing you to retalliate with a Discharge and have a high chance of killing after LO recoil (and if you don't kill there's also that nasty paralysis rate which may end up allowing you to net the kill)--something which, while extremely situational, may come in handy in a pinch--it can take a Blizzard from timid scarf Rotom-F reasonably well to get up rocks in a pinch or toxic it (also it allows you to have more condfidence staying in on it in general due to the Volt Switch immunity allowing you to play mindgames with it), it can barely take a modest Leaf Storm from Roselia at full health--again, situational but can allow you to get of a yawn in a pinch--it takes a maximum of 76.2% from Chatot's specs Boomburst and it does a bunch of other cool things too. All in all its a pretty cool spread to use and it does a lot for Stunfisk's special bulk.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2x reminded me to post about my godly Swalot set so here it is

Swalot @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Destiny Bond
Honestly, though it seems like a bit of a gimmick, it has been very successful for me and possibly the best Swalot set I've tried. Basically, the AV set struggles now due to how easily it is warn down, but this set capitalises on that and can check certain mons earlier in the game and can get a surprise kill. Even w/ offensive EVs, Swalot's natural bulk allows it to check stuff like Leafeon and Monferno, and it hits fairly hard due to its high BP moves and its coverage means its only walled by stuff like Gourgeist and Stunfisk (both hate poison). EV's outspeed Adamant max Golem, Seed Bomb is used over Bullet Seed due to illegalities. Obviously the crux of the set is Custap Berry + Dbond (explosion is sorta weak but is an option), and when the opponent doesn't expect it (keep away from knock off) it can work well:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-352184357

I dont have many replays/logs but i remember using it effectively vs several decent players like shuckledeath

Probably a lot worse now its Crustle fodder but hey its fun

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
2x reminded me to post about my godly Swalot set so here it is

Swalot @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Destiny Bond
Honestly, though it seems like a bit of a gimmick, it has been very successful for me and possibly the best Swalot set I've tried. Basically, the AV set struggles now due to how easily it is warn down, but this set capitalises on that and can check certain mons earlier in the game and can get a surprise kill. Even w/ offensive EVs, Swalot's natural bulk allows it to check stuff like Leafeon and Monferno, and it hits fairly hard due to its high BP moves and its coverage means its only walled by stuff like Gourgeist and Stunfisk (both hate poison). EV's outspeed Adamant max Golem, Seed Bomb is used over Bullet Seed due to illegalities. Obviously the crux of the set is Custap Berry + Dbond (explosion is sorta weak but is an option), and when the opponent doesn't expect it (keep away from knock off) it can work well:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-352184357

I dont have many replays/logs but i remember using it effectively vs several decent players like shuckledeath

Probably a lot worse now its Crustle fodder but hey its fun
I'll take decent ^-^

*pic*

Mono attacking Ursaring is something i've been testing lately. Using flame orb to activate quick feet instead of toxic orb gives Ursaring a few extra turns to attack without dying. Facade its only attack with this set because of the burn. Sword dance +taunt +toxic makes Ursaring a great stall/wall breaker when the normal resists have been removed. Its best saved until late game or mid game on a hazzards stacking team. Ursaring needs support from teammates to break probo, metang, golom, relicanth, other steel and rock type mons, as well as, the ever common machoke and monferno. The evs need to be tested pre team as 248 hp isnt optimal.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Substitute

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360996084 outspeeds non scarf Dodrio for the win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-361000979 cleans late game against +2 arbok

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
*pic*

Mono attacking Ursaring is something i've been testing lately. Using flame orb to activate quick feet instead of toxic orb gives Ursaring a few extra turns to attack without dying. Facade its only attack with this set because of the burn. Sword dance +taunt +toxic makes Ursaring a great stall/wall breaker when the normal resists have been removed. Its best saved until late game or mid game on a hazzards stacking team. Ursaring needs support from teammates to break probo, metang, golom, relicanth, other steel and rock type mons, as well as, the ever common machoke and monferno. The evs need to be tested pre team as 248 hp isnt optimal.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Substitute

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360996084 outspeeds non scarf Dodrio for the win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-361000979 cleans late game against +2 arbok
I'm not sold on this set just because Ursaring has two main niches in Speed and coverage and you're sacrificing its ability to use fighting coverage without a CB restriction while accentuating the other issue of it being easy to wear down with sub+flame orb. Additionally, both of those replays don't show it doing anything that a regular ursaring set could've done just fine. And it's not going to break stall when colbur gourgeist beats it even easier now. I just don't see the utility in taking such an immediately threatening mon and trying to run it as a bulky setup mon instead.

Alright, here is a Beheeyem set I have been trying that have been working somewhat well.

Beheeyem @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic / Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Nasty Plot / Toxic
- Signal Beam

Here is a set that takes on a different approach on Beheeyem. While it hits very hard with its wallbreaker set, this set focuses on absorbing special hits instead.
This might just look like an inferior Grumpig, which very well might be the truth, but the difference is that this thing has recover. This thing also hits quite hard, even with minimal investment, which means it is a great fit for bulky offense. That is also the reason for running analytic, but synchronize should be a viable option as well, as it can punish status users, such as WilloW Rotom-Fridge.
I know this sorta looks like the Trick Room set, but it plays very different.

Psychic is there for STAB, while recover is there to make itself different from Grumpig, and keeping itself healthy during the match.
In the next slot I prefer Nasty Plot, as it allows it to plow through opposing special walls, such as Audino, but toxic can work too, as it has great "coverage" with psychic in PU.
The last move is signal beam, as it complements Psychic rather well; hitting both dark and opposing psychic-types.

Here are some examples of Beheeyem versus the special attackers in the S rank

252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Beheeyem: 133-156 (37.5 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Beheeyem: 117-138 (33 - 38.9%) -- 7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And here is a replay that features Beheeyem, facing off against Kadabra and what seems like a specs Ninetails:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-359364419

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)