Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

Okay, I'd like to address this since I've seen this in literally every single Dragon Ball Super discussion on every single forum I go on. Perfect Cell (while being literally my favorite DB villain of all time) was never really on the table for resurrection, and story-wise wouldn't work as well as Freeza does, let me explain why.

1. Freeza's sadistic nature, lack of loyalty, and unpredictability; for such a structured tournament such as the world tournament and the lack of killing, Universe 7 having him on their team is like running over hot fire with bare feet but you're also at the same temperature as the fire, sure you're more powerful but you also run the risk of melting your own skin off. It's this constant state of tension that Toriyama was likely going for, and because of Freeza literally only doing what's best for Freeza, that's what works here. Cell is too organized, and the only reason he's evil is because he wants to test his perfection, we've already seen him in a tournament setting, and he lost in that. It wouldn't be wise to do a repeat of a scenario that already happened, but at the same time cashing in on that Freeza nostalgia is wonderful.

2. Freeza is much more marketable; self explanatory, Freeza is almost as recognizable worldwide as Goku is. Cell is big, but nowhere near as big as Freeza is. Going with the resurrection of a lesser known character would be missing out on bags and bags of cash.

3. The chemistry between Goku and Freeza > the chemistry between Goku and Cell; Let's be honest, Cell and Goku never had much of a rivalry in the actual DBZ series, it was always more about Goku and Freeza. Their interactions and natural compatibility as enemies turned allies is a lot more engaging in this particular context.

4. The animators flat out stated they didn't want to do Cell; They said "animating his spots would take way too much work", yeah it's super lazy, but that was their explanation.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Frieza really was the best choice. It would be nice to at least see Cell again at some point but it sounds like they're not gonna go for it. Oh well, I'm fine with what they're doing.

On that note, these last couple of episodes have been fucking great. They're doing an amazing job and building up the hype for this. They've also opened up the possibility of so many other stories that can be followed. While I'm always waiting for another episode, this is the first time in a very long time I've been excited for new episodes.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So basically Majin Buu's Human Extinction Attack was amateur hour compared to the Zenos. Also, stakes raised holy fuck! (they were serious about this premise...)

I don't even think Mr. Satan could survive it.

Female Broly is neither funny nor interesting. It's impossible to take her seriously when she has the anatomy of a dude and one who took like truckloads of steroids at that. In before "but that's the whole point," they should've realized that doing something like this isn't something meant to be taken seriously at all and played on the parody more so it's more enjoyable.

For starters, change the voice. Seeing a girl change from an extremely feminine voice would've been much more hilarious and ironic if she had fucking Broly's voice instead of just an older woman's. She already has the body of a man, give her the voice of one to add on top of it; the voice doesn't sound scary or intimidating at all lmao. Another thing, actually make this a parody character instead of, again, female Broly and reusing all the scenes from the movie. It would've been much better if this generic ass character was built up to be "the shit" and carrying the brand of Broly, only to get oneshotted by the absurd strong characters like Goku lol. Of course, Super fucks it up because trash powerscaling. She's so bland, generic, and uninteresting (partially because she's literally just female Broly with nothing nuanced about her) that having badass moments aren't necessary at all. Toriyama would've used these kinds of cheesy characters to make fun gags out of in his strange sense of irony and humor. This genuinely doesn't have any charm DB and Z had.

Also this turns me off from Goku vs Jiren so hard. Apparently, it's not a feat beating Goku anymore.

Last edited:
Alright, rewatched the episode after I was less tilted. Kale's character would actually be likable if she wasn't female Broly. Toei is good at slice of life stuff and honestly, if they explored her jealousy more instead of it being a literal shoehorn for Broly it would be a far better character. Instead of impossible to take seriously.

part of me: they completely fucked up the tone of the show and these ridiculous power-ups don't even make sense anymore. SSB has completely lost its impact and the SSB kamehameha is completely inconsistent ranging from what Goku used vs Zamasu to firing it off vs. Krillin - and a fresh LSSJ Kale straight-up face-tanks it without even flinching? nothing means anything anymore and these powerups completely lack the impact of basically any transformation from DBZ or even the initial God transformation vs Beerus. and then Jiren comes in and causally one-shots Kale because why the fuck not. this is dumb. this tournament is dumb. Jiren is dumb.

other part of me:
OH MY GOD HE'S
SO
GODDAMN
COOL

Everyone keeps telling me to start from Episode 30. Is that accurate? Why episode 30?
1-30 is basically a redo of the movies Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F, so if you've seen those movies, that's why you'd skip the first 30 and move on to the new stuff.

If you didn't bother watching the movies, then you can probably start at 1 and be fine.

part of me: they completely fucked up the tone of the show and these ridiculous power-ups don't even make sense anymore. SSB has completely lost its impact and the SSB kamehameha is completely inconsistent ranging from what Goku used vs Zamasu to firing it off vs. Krillin - and a fresh LSSJ Kale straight-up face-tanks it without even flinching? nothing means anything anymore and these powerups completely lack the impact of basically any transformation from DBZ or even the initial God transformation vs Beerus. and then Jiren comes in and causally one-shots Kale because why the fuck not. this is dumb. this tournament is dumb. Jiren is dumb.

other part of me:
OH MY GOD HE'S
SO
GODDAMN
COOL
Well you gotta build up the super boss for Goku to fight somehow, why not have him ragdoll female Broly who was ragdolling SSB Goku? Yes I do agree it's completely lame.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Androids break the DBS meta. No wonder Future Trunks' world got wrecked by them so easily.

Interrupting the magical girl sequence was perfect.

And then there is Vegeta's cringe dodge, which will also go down in infamy. "It was so disgusting I instinctively dodged."

Epic.

The girls look super Toriyama, probably will be in the manga.

Episode would've been good if they ended with 17 meming on them instead of dragging it out. I mean to be fair the episode isn't bad at all and they had funny moments, but it definitely had the good old problem of too much drag, it wasn't bad it just got really boring.

It's really cool seeing how much 17 has changed between Z and now, it's great that he's really matured.

Last edited:

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
Anyone else brokenhearted after watching the latest episode or just me? I think it was quite the sad episode, but I loved how they emphasized the fact that the tournament isn't just to show who's the strongest universe of them all but one in which you have to give it your all in order to protect everything that's enclosed to you so far, your beloved ones, friends, family and so on.. Nonetheless, such an emotional episode. Also, props to Gohan, I like how he's changed, he looks quite mature now and it's quite interesting to see how he prefers brainpower rather than just focusing on solely strength, his smartness is quite the weapon for Universe 7.

As for the next episode, I'm happy they decided not to dumpster SSJ God, it had been 100 episodes at least since we last saw it, it is true that it isn't as strong as SSJ Blue but the obvious fact that this is a survival tournament and SSJ God provides a full balance between ki and stamina plus healing (as seen in the battle between Beerus and Goku) makes it quite useful given the circumstances. I wonder too, if Vegeta's gonna use that transformation, we haven't seen him using it yet(except in the manga) I'm pretty he should be able to tap into it, unless they did as in DBZ(him not reaching SSJ3) and he just skipped that transformation.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

The episode wherein Roshi proves not only why he was a great selection for the Tournament of Power, but that there's a reason he was Goku and Krillin's Master and deserves every bit of respect for it.

Minus Kale and Caulifla this arc has been great. I kind of forgot that it's literally only 2 episodes that makes me want to disregard Super's canon-ness?? (Tbh I wish I could just headcanon that that Future Trunks was just a different Future Trunks, because 66 and 67 butcher the entire purpose of the Android's arc for mere fanservice. I mean hair color and personality is extremely different so.)

Went off on a tangent, this episode was great, was just rewatching GT and was praising how they gave Android 18 an awesome supportive role in the Super 17 arc, I like how they used Roshi's experience as an advantage, it's awesome. Toei is great with slice of life.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
10/10 was always a big fan of Roshi but always hated the ladies gimmick of his. To train Krillin and Goku, some of the strongest people in the universe, you need to be the shit yourself. You'll get your titties in heaven eventually, old man, but it's way too soon for you to go.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
weak episode, nothing really but Goku and Vegeta carrying any weight. I kinda hoped Tien would go the Android's way and just prove he can fuck shit up but I guess we can't have it all.

There's always next week I suppose.

(Roshi episode is still the best episode)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah last episode was pretty fucking horrible lol, I'd honestly rather a filler with goten/trunks than that shit. The new enemies had some of the worst design in the series, the battle was boring (throwing rocks instead of actually flying over and fucking his shit up? cmon), tien being a bitch, and most importantly... lack of vados! :( and champa I guess.

Matthew

Another weak episode but I really liked how they handled Roshi exiting the battle. He was never supposed to be a star but he was there, being a star, and more importantly the most influential person on the battlefield. His ending felt right, his screen time felt right, I think they nailed it on the head when dealing with Roshi.

We won't get any more sweet moments with him this arc; I was happy to take that ride though. It really made me want more Roshi in later stories because, honestly, he's a fucking badass.

Deck Knight

If nothing else, this arc has rehabbed Roshi from pervy washup back to wise teacher, and really shown why Goku looks up to him as a teacher so much. Roshi got left behind so much in Z that this is a welcome development.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
quick thoughts on new ep

-Frost got fucking beaned lol

-Why won't the fatty just die already, seriously, Tien only sticks around for one episode, but this creature gets to stick around? kek

-Safe to say that Frieza has been an amazing character this whole arc, such a conniving, scheming badass, I would probably like him more if he didn't force the absolute goat Majin Buu to get copped out of a tournament AGAIN

-Speaking of which, Gohan V.S. Frieza was kinda disappointing honestly, should've gone on for longer

and that's a wrap, see you next week kids

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
No episode next week. The two parter / Jiren focus is the week following that however :)

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm so glad Frost got erased. His character has pretty much been a massive disappointment from start to finish and even Frieza realised this. :p

Deck Knight

I am very confused.

Frieza iced the most annoying whiny Frieza mini-me of all time, for which I am grateful.

But I can't like Frieza because he's still demonstrated he's an epically untrustworthy scumlord tyrant literally designed to make everyone hate his guts - which he does while remaining in character the entire time.

Frieza: I still love to hate you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)