DP Salamence .

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, this set was brought up by Aldaron a few months ago, but the thread was closed. Jabba said that he was going to re-make the thread, but it has been a bit over 2 months, so I thought I would go ahead and take it over. I've been using the set on and off since Shoddy was released to a lot of success. It proves to be a great counter to things such as SD Lucario and such.

Current Analysis:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/salamence

[SET]
Name: Defensive Mence
Move 1: Roost
Move 2: Wish / Toxic
Move 3: Draco Meteor
Move 4: Flamethrower
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spe
Nature: Bold

<p>This particular Salamence is suited to take hits from Heracross, Lucario, and various other Fighting types. Salamence also makes a great switch-in to Scizor, especially if it lacks Iron Head. With Intimidate bolstering Salamence's Defense, it is able to switch into a variety of physical attacks. A +1 (Swords Dance after Intimidate) Life Orb Lucario's Close Combat can only manage 40-47%. Crunch and Extremespeed will both do less damage.</p>

<p> Roost gives Salamence an instant 50% recovery move while removing one of its weaknesses and reducing another. Wish allows Salamence to support the team while offering a secondary form of healing for itself. Toxic is a plausible option that allows Salamence to wear down defensive threats. Draco Meteor is Salamence's most powerful attack, allowing it to hit hard even without Special Attack investment. Flamethrower offers great coverage when paired with Draco Meteor and allows Salamence to 2HKO Skarmory and OHKO both Forretress and Scizor. Earthquake is another option on the set that could be used in order to more easily take on Heatran. Even with a Bold nature and zero Attack EVs, Salamence still OHKOs.</p>

<p>The EVs allow Salamence to switch into Stealth Rock five times including Leftovers recovery, if for some reason you have not found time to Wish or Roost. Max Defense allows Salamence to take hits as best as possible. The Speed EVs reach a stat of 246 and allow Salamence to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I did read the thread. That was more than 2 months ago. If he was going to do it, he would have done it by now. If he really wants to make the thread, he can post here and I will ask for this one to be locked.

I use a set like this in tandem with an offensive Jirachi.
Works pretty good. Only that nasty 25% damage from stealth rock is annoying for a defensive based poke =/

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah i was planning on doing it after i finished the celebi revamp :/

though i don't really care and i'll just make the same comments i made in aldaron's topic. roost is necessary, as are the 2 attacking moves. wish should be slashed with toxic. while salamence may be one of the few wishers in the game that doesn't necessarily make it a good one. in fact it's pretty bad at wishing since in between coming in to take heracross/luke close combats and taking stealth rock damage, most of your time is spent healing yourself.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also missing a defensive Dragon Dance/Roost set, much like Bulkydos. I use one, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
though i don't really care and i'll just make the same comments i made in aldaron's topic. roost is necessary, as are the 2 attacking moves. wish should be slashed with toxic.
That's what I had to begin with, so I'll just change it back to that. It also relieves the slashing problem a bit.

Also missing a defensive Dragon Dance/Roost set, much like Bulkydos. I use one, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
Stay on topic. This thread is about the support set, and the support set only.

I wouldn't bother with Dragon Pulse or Fire Blast, I always went with Draco Meteor and Flamethrower. You never get to stay in and sweep with no Special Attack investment, so Draco Meteor is always the better choice. Fire Blast isn't needed as Flamethrower also 2HKOs Skarm and OHKOs Forry and Scizor. Bronzong isn't a problem since you can just beat it by alternating between Flamethrower and Roost.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
And now pretty much all of the slashes are gone. I've also always used Meteor / Flamethrower, but I thought I would list them as options anyway.

Maybe not as a primary option but Earthquake deserves a mention in one of the paragraphs somewhere, some teams rely on Heatran as a special wall and weird as it seems a defensive Salamence can actually be a fairly potent offensive threat against teams like that (it also solves the problem of Heatran walling you entirely, though with Wish that's not too big of a deal as you can pass out. For the record, you OHKO all heatran without defensive investment even if bold, and OHKO pretty much all others anyways with a neutral nature).

Where you mention Heracross and Lucario you could also add a mention of Scizor, as without Iron Head it's very easily walled (even with it, Salamence is still a good switch-in) and you OHKO with Fire Blast/Flamethrower.

Roost gives Salamence an instant 50% recovery move while removing two of its three weaknesses.
Ice weakness isn't removed, it's just reduced.

allows Salamence to wear down defensive threats Draco Meteor is Salamence's most powerful attack,
missing a period

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yep looks splendid. i'll give it about another 24 if anyone has any more comments or anything and then i'll toss it up on the analysis

oh and just throwing it out there: the set has been called "Fatmence" by me and a bunch of other people and that's what it's kind of known by now, so does anyone have any objections to naming it that in the analysis?

Only thing I can think of is using Fire Blast over Flamethrower and a little bit of Special Attack EVs. A bit of Special Attack should ohko heracross with fire blast, granted stealth rock is up. At the moment fire blast would do 76% to a 4 hp heracross so it should be considered especially since even without a few spa evs it still ohkos as long as hera has taken 1 layer of spikes and sr damage.

Fire Blast would also ohko skarmory wouldnt it?

Never heard it called "FatMence" myself (except in the previous thread), but if plenty others know it by that name, I'm alright with it. I seem to remember chaos mentioning that wierd set names are fine if that is what they are known by.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Grammar seems fine, but I'm just wondering about the speed. Is it necessary to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar? If it had Earthquake or Brick Break, it might make sense, however, in this case, Salamence isn't going to be doing anything to it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Grammar seems fine, but I'm just wondering about the speed. Is it necessary to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar? If it had Earthquake or Brick Break, it might make sense, however, in this case, Salamence isn't going to be doing anything to it.
It's just a stat that a lot of people know. I wasn't necessarily saying it has that much speed FOR Tyranitar.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
and he has it at 246 which outspeeds all the shit that's trying to outspeed max speed ttar (celebi, jirachi, etc) so it works i guess.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using this set for a long time now and have encountered many problems with the final two moves. I've tried using Meteor/Flamethrower and Dragon Claw/Earthquake, and both seem to have a few problems. When I go with the Special Moves I'm completely walled by Heatran, while using the Physical set gets me walled by Celebi, Reflect Jirachi, and Skarm.

Would there be any way to run a Mix? I think that would work best, though I'm not quite sure which two moves would work the best...

Otherwise good edit, I love using this Mence it really works great, I was wondering when a Peer Edit was coming :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)