DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said "in each iteration" I meant "each time the game chooses a random parent and a random IV." Therefore, each time a random IV and a random parent are chosen (that is, up to 3 times), the Power Bracer, etc. can apply if that parent holds that item. Another example should make this clearer.

Assume once again that the mother holds a Power Bracer and the father holds no item.
Iteration 1. The game chooses a Special Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Special Attack IV.
Iteration 2. The game chooses a Defense IV and the game chooses the mother. The game changes the IV inherited to an Attack IV since the mother holds Power Bracer. The baby inherits the mother's Attack IV.
Iteration 3. The game chooses an Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Attack IV.

Note that again, in the end, the baby inherits the father's Attack IV. Let's change iteration 3:

Iteration 3. Father's Special Defense IV ---> The baby inherits the father's Special Defense IV and retains the mother's Attack IV.
Iteration 3. Mother's Speed IV ---> The baby inherits the mother's Attack IV instead.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When I said "in each iteration" I meant "each time the game chooses a random parent and a random IV." Therefore, each time a random IV and a random parent are chosen (that is, up to 3 times), the Power Bracer, etc. can apply if that parent holds that item. Another example should make this clearer.

Assume once again that the mother holds a Power Bracer and the father holds no item.
Iteration 1. The game chooses a Special Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Special Attack IV.
Iteration 2. The game chooses a Defense IV and the game chooses the mother. The game changes the IV inherited to an Attack IV since the mother holds Power Bracer. The baby inherits the mother's Attack IV.
Iteration 3. The game chooses an Attack IV and the game chooses the father. The baby inherits the father's Attack IV.

Note that again, in the end, the baby inherits the father's Attack IV. Let's change iteration 3:

Iteration 3. Father's Special Defense IV ---> The baby inherits the father's Special Defense IV and retains the mother's Attack IV.
Iteration 3. Mother's Speed IV ---> The baby inherits the mother's Attack IV instead.
This is clearly not the way it works. The father's Attack IV cannot be passed and the mother's Attack IV will always be passed.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TMN is correct, if a Power Item is present, the respective stat for that Power Item will always override and be chosen.

It turns out I may be mistaken after all. Looking back at where I made my belief that Power Bracer and the like might not work 100%, it applies only if both parents hold a Power Bracer like item. That is, if both parent hold such an item, the baby inherits either one IV or the other IV, but not both. The correct way to describe the IV inheritance may be as follows:
After the baby inherits three random IVs from its parents, if one of the parents holds a Power Anklet or the like, the baby receives the IV from that parent for the stat corresponding to that item. If both parents hold a Power Anklet or the like, one of them is chosen at random, and the baby receives the IV from that parent for the corresponding stat.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
I am still a bit shaky on that, since your description implies that 5 IVs total can be passed down (3 random, 2 from Power Items), yet I'm not so sure this is the case.

I think that each parent holding a Power Item overrides one of the randomly chosen IVs, that's the result I've gotten from a few hours testing. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I am still a bit shaky on that, since your description implies that 5 IVs total can be passed down (3 random, 2 from Power Items), yet I'm not so sure this is the case.

I think that each parent holding a Power Item overrides one of the randomly chosen IVs, that's the result I've gotten from a few hours testing. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.
That is correct.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
That is correct.
Could you be more specific?
Are you saying that the passing of 5 IVs is correct, or the passing of 3 IVs maximum is correct?

I've taken two parents, one is: 20 / 31 / 25 / 12 / 14 / 15
one is: 31 / 11 / 30 / 29 / 5 / 31
I've hatched 9 offspring, all of which only have 3 equal IVs.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Could you be more specific?
Are you saying that the passing of 5 IVs is correct, or the passing of 3 IVs maximum is correct?

I've taken two parents, one is: 20 / 31 / 25 / 12 / 14 / 15
one is: 31 / 11 / 30 / 29 / 5 / 31
I've hatched 9 offspring, all of which only have 3 equal IVs.
Sorry I am saying that the passing of 3 IV's max is correct.

No, a baby will not inherit five IVs. Since you say that the IVs are overridden, maybe the following description may be more correct:

If one or both parents hold a Power Anklet or the like, one of them who hold such an item is chosen at random, and the third IV inherited by the baby comes from that parent and is for the stat corresponding to that item. Otherwise, the third IV inherited is for a random stat and comes from a random parent.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
Rewording to make it simpler;
Three stats are chosen at random, then a parent is chosen for each stat. If the parent chosen has a Power Item, the IV of the Power Item's stat is chosen for the actual IV of the child. If a parent holds a Power Item, the respective stat for the item will override one of the three stats chosen.

That may actually be an incorrect rewording. Since there is a 1/8 chance that a particular parent will not be chosen, and one of the comments above states that "I've never had it happen that only one parent was holding an EV Item and that stat was NOT passed down", your suggested rewording changes the meaning of the inheritance process. My description merely states that the way the third IV is inherited will change if either or both parents hold a Power Bracer or the like. Also left open in your rewording is exactly which IV (the first, second, or third) is inherited (on information and belief, in the new versions, the same stat can be chosen more than once in the IV inheritance process).

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
I don't see how?
"If the parent chosen has a Power Item, the IV of the Power Item's stat is chosen for the actual IV of the child."
This is correct and makes sense?

As is anything else. Also, I know the same stat can be chosen more than once, my explanation still accounts for that.

Even if Parent X isn't chosen for an IV to be passed down, if Parent X holds a Power Item, that IV/stat will override a random other IV/stat. My explanation still accounts for that (last sentence).

If both parents hold different Power Items, the IV/stat of both Power Items will be passed down, and the third IV is taken from a random parent again.

I think you may be misunderstanding it, since I went and condensed the whole process into that one paragraph.

Errors with the HG/SS Move Tutors?

I have noticed inconsistencies with some of the moves that can be taught by tutors outside of Battle Frontier. I checked four sites (Smogon, Bulbapedia, Serebii, and Veekun) for this info and it was usually split, 50/50. I was looking stuff up for Role Play, specifically on Abomasnow and Bastiodon. Smogon's change notes for movesets in HG/SS (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthr...ive+discussion) list Bastiodon as learning and Abomasnow as not learning it. That post was close to the release of the Japanese game. In my game, I have personally seen that Abomasnow can learn Role Play via the move tutor and Bastiodon can't. Was the info posted from the Japanese games? Did it change?

I would like someone to verify in-game on a Japanese cart, if possible. As I said, I have tested both pokemon myself. Please don't look on a site and tell me that either of the pokes can/can't learn these moves...

Anyone want to Pokesav a poison-type with Immunity and see if it absorbs Toxic Spikes? If you can somehow get a Poison/Steel type, that would be even better. I know Doug looked into the Shoddy code once, but that's the Shoddy code, not ingame.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Requesting that this piece of information from Bulbapedia is tested before being added to site: "During a double battle, Download will add the two Pokémon's stats and calculate the lower stat between both."

I've just tested both those cases. The effect of Toxic Spikes still ends in both cases.
So you managed to hack yourself a Poison/Steel type Pokemon and it absorbed Toxic Spikes. Can I ask how you did it? Better yet could you video tape your result so I could see it

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
Requesting that this piece of information from Bulbapedia is tested before being added to site: "During a double battle, Download will add the two Pokémon's stats and calculate the lower stat between both."
Confirming after the result of three tests on Soul Silver;
Blissey + Shuckle - Attack raised
Gliscor + Shuckle - Attack raised
Naive Shuckle + Impish Shuckle - SpAtk raised

I have noticed inconsistencies with some of the moves that can be taught by tutors outside of Battle Frontier. I checked four sites (Smogon, Bulbapedia, Serebii, and Veekun) for this info and it was usually split, 50/50. I was looking stuff up for Role Play, specifically on Abomasnow and Bastiodon. Smogon's change notes for movesets in HG/SS (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthr...ive+discussion) list Bastiodon as learning and Abomasnow as not learning it. That post was close to the release of the Japanese game. In my game, I have personally seen that Abomasnow can learn Role Play via the move tutor and Bastiodon can't. Was the info posted from the Japanese games? Did it change?

I would like someone to verify in-game on a Japanese cart, if possible. As I said, I have tested both pokemon myself. Please don't look on a site and tell me that either of the pokes can/can't learn these moves...
There are inconsistent movesets between the sites; possibly because they just didn't bother checking every single Pokemon with every possible tutor.

For example, Serebii lists Floatzel as being able to learn Low Kick from the tutor, which is correct, while Bulbapedia and Smogon don't even list it.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
On the Power Item matter, I've done some testing a few months ago, and one of the tests was breeding two Paras, female with Power Anklet, male with Power Weight. Out of the 50 Eggs, there were 3 who inherited the mother's HP, and 4 inherited the father's Speed. So yeah, I really am not understanding this "they always inherit X's IV" talk.

And I'm pretty sure I used to get the Power IV passed down only 50% of the time when only one parent was holding one, but as I'm not going to retest it right now, I will stay silent.

The description of Judgment says it changes type based on the plate held.
Does that mean Smeargle can sketch it and change it's type by holding plates, too? Just not get stab like Arceus can?

I thought that this question from the Simple Requests thread aught to be put here

After some further research I can finally say how individual values are inherited in the new games. This is how it works:
The baby receives random IVs, then it inherits a random IV from a random stat and from a random parent. If either or both parents hold a Power Anklet, Power Bracer, Power Lens, Power Weight, Power Belt, or Power Band, the game chooses one of those parents at random, and the baby inherits the IV for the stat corresponding to that item from that parent instead. Then the baby inherits a random IV from a random parent, but the stat can't be the same as that of the first IV inherited. Then the baby inherits another random IV from a random parent, but the stat can't be the same as that of the first or second IV inherited.

I thought that this question from the Simple Requests thread aught to be put here
I remember I got a Wonder Guard Spiritomb from my friend a while ago that had Judement hacked onto it. When I gave it a Fist Plate, Judgement became a Fighting type move. This was in Diamond, BTW.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
After some further research I can finally say how individual values are inherited in the new games. This is how it works:
for cohesion, change the last line to "the baby then recives another random IV from a random parent ...etc."
but otherwise, I agree. I did a lot more testing myself and it is a random chance whether the mother's or the father's power item is passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)