DP Jirachi

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is another uber set I enjoyed playing with while on damnsnow

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jirachi

[SET]
name: Uber Wish Jirachi
move 1: Wish
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Protect
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
ev: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
ivs: 30 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Purely utility, yet especially effective due to great typing for Ubers, Steel / Psychic (meaning it isn't weak to Fighting / Ghost / Dark / Electric and it resists Psychic / Dragon / Ice). Since the primary weather in Ubers is Rain, Jirachi's Fire weakness is also almost a non issue.</p>

<p>Wish + Protect and Toxic + Protect work in unison to slowly whittle away the opponent's healthwhile healing your own. The highly concentrated Special Defense EVs allow Jirachi to effectively Wish + Protect in the special oriented Ubers metagame. U-turn then allows for more efficient Wish passing and counter switching.</p>

<p>Jirachi has such high Special Defense specifically due to both Dialga's and Palkia's tendency to run Fire Blast, and Rayquaza's tendency to run Life Orb Overheat (note that a 438 Attack Life Orb Rayquaza will never OHKO this Jirachi with a non boosted Earthquake). The high Special Defense also allows Jirachi to be an effective Darkrai counter, assuming, of course, that another team member is asleep. Darkrai will at most 3HKO Jirachi when Life Orbed, so Jirachi can easily Toxic, Protect, Wish, Protect, Wish, Protect until Darkrai is defeated.</p>

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I was going to make an Uber Jirachi peer edit after getting back from vacation. After using Jirachi a ton in Ubers for a whole month, I had great success and it was the main reason I made it to where I did on the ladder. Personally, I prefer using Reflect/Light Screen over toxic on the set, but that's just from my experience. I have also tried Thunder wave in that slot too, but you really have to predict well to use it because every switch in to Jirachi is Groudon, who is immune to it. TWave is probably better suited for other options. The fact that Groudon switchins, the one who commonly switches in on Jirachi, also caused me to try Reflect in that slot, which surprisingly worked better than Light Screen even though Sp.Atks are more common in Ubers.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
2 Special Attack IVs with perfect IVs elsewhere also make for a legal IV combination with Careful, so change it to that instead of wasting the Attack points.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fixes edited, I actually found out that 30 SpA IVs is enough to make jirachi legal, lol.

BlueCookies, the primary purpose of this set is to pseudo pass Wish and Toxic stall; however, I do know of the effectiveness of the set you are referring to. I actually believe a Thunder Wave / Screens Uber Jirachi deserves its own peer edit.

This set actually works pretty well in OU also. If you already have Toxic Spikes, you can use this Jirachi to set up Stealth Rock.

<p>Wish + Protect and Toxic + Protect work in unison to slowly whittle away the opponent's health while healing your own. The highly concentrated Special Defense EVs allow Jirachi to effectively Wish + Protect in the special oriented Ubers metagame and U-turn then allows for more efficient Wish passing and counter switching.</p>

You mentioned Wish + Protect and Toxic + Protect working in unison but did not explain the Wish + Protect part of it. I reworded it to do just that, and still keep the original meaning of the sentence, and combined the last two sentences since they seemed short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)