DP Fearow / Pidgeot Analysis

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Analysis (Pidgeot): http://www.smogon.com:81/dp/pokemon/pidgeot
Analysis (Fearow): http://www.smogon.com:81/dp/pokemon/fearow

Alright first up is Pidgeot. This mainly touches the Choice Band set:

Analysis said:
Almost obligatory among Normal/Flying types, this set... still, it's not bad in NU. Mirror Move could be fun if you get an Earthquake or something.
Really redundant IMO. It should mention how he DID gain something over Fearow: Brave Bird. This is just moreso of a bashing on Pidgeot. Yes I know, he's not a good sweeper, but the ability to use a more powerful STAB over Fearow SHOULD be at least recognized nevertheless. Also, as far as moveslots go:

- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-Turn / Steel Wing
- Quick Attack / Pursuit

Seems more clean to me, as well as just throwing Mirror Move into other options. As situated, it should be between U-Turn (to espace to a counter to your Rock / Steel friends) or Steel Wing (to attempt to hurt Rock-types). Quick Attack VS. Pursuit should be among if you prefer as a finishing move or chasing off a Choice Band Earthquake user (or better yet: A Choice Specs Shadow Ball user).

Defensive set: I'd throw Modest in here as an option. That's it really.

The "Swords Dancer" set should be removed. I know it's a joke but it could possibly decieve someone into thinking of it.

----------

Fearow looks a bit messy, so I decided to go ahead and attempt to fix this. I broke it into two movesets (or attempted this anyways).

name: Choice Bander
move 1: Return
move 2: Drill Peck
move 3: Steel Wing / U-Turn
move 4: Pursuit / Quick Attack
item: Choice Band
ability: Keen Eye
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Fearow came into the Diamond and Pearl era hoping for some new moves and maybe other changes. Fearow did gain some of this, as from benefting U-Turn and physical Pursuit. Still, this set carrues the same old trick: hit and run. Return and Drill Peck are your STAB options here. It's a pity that Fearow didn't get Brave Bird, as that kind of hampered him a bit, however Drill Peck is still a decent move as there is no recoil damage. Steel Wing VS. U-Turn is a choice of either hitting Rocks or running away from them with a nice preset. U-Turn could also get the jump on some things like Exeggutor even, a decent plus.

Pursuit vs. Quck Attack is a matter of choice. Again, Quick Attack can help with finishing blows. Since Flail / Reversal sets are pretty common, this might be a good reason to use it since Abomosnow has left to BL. Pursuit however has the plus of Fearow scaring off the random Choice Ground and Ghost type moves.

name: Non-Choice Band Fearow
move 1: Return
move 2: Drill Peck
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Natural Gift
item: Life Orb / Salac Berry
ability: Keen Eye
nature: Lonely / Hasty
evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

This is a more versatile set for Fearow. U-Turn probably should be practiced on this moveset as you can at least escape if needed. Hidden Power Ground vs. Natural Gift can be only used once, however, it can at least hurt Aggron pretty badly. Just note that other than the occasional Electrics and Aggron, it's not benefiting much else.

Other Options to throw include Assurance and Mirror Move, and how they could work in their situations. Assurance could be decent with Stealth Rock support and at least dent Solrock and Lunatone when they come in, and Mirror Move can steal random Earthquakes and blast them backwards, which can help VSing Aggron and friends. Double-Edge could work on the Choice Bander as well, just to... you know... pummel things harder. Not recommended on the Life Orb set as the recoil and Life Orb damage will kill you quickly.

Sorry that I meshed both of these Pokemon together, I just felt like I could cover them both in one topic. I guess all I can ask is any comments?

Both have been updated with some of the suggestions in the first post.

I couldn't think of any likely situations where you will get to use Mirror Move/Earthquake, so I left it out. Aggron usually doesn't use Earthquake unless it's on a Choice Band set, in which case he'll be switching out. Mawile doesn't get Earthquake and Probopass uses Earth Power.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Phuquoph. Almost thought this was left for granted, though then again they ARE least-used Pokemon.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and aldaron's purposes...

purpose of the thread fulfilled, should be deleted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)