DP Azelf .

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, Azelf has quite a few sets that can be used effectively. However, this lead set has been VERY common lately, and deservedly so. I first saw SNES Master Ki using this set, and I became very interested in the art of the "lead Pokemon."

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/azelf

[SET]
name: Frolicking Fairy
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Fire Blast / Taunt
item: Focus Sash
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 28 SpD

[SET COMMENT]

<p>This set uses Azelf's Speed and Focus Sash to help beat the common leads, Gengar, Gyarados and Bronzong (the top three leads on Shoddy). It OHKOs Gengar (outspeeding non Scarf variants and surviving Scarf variants with Focus Sash) with Psychic, OHKOs non bulky Gyarados with Explosion (and always gets a Stealth Rock off), and 2HKOs Bronzong with Fire Blast. It also has the ability to OHKO Roserade and Infernape with Psychic (though beware that both often run Focus Sash when leading), and Ninjask with Fire Blast.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is preferred for its chance to OHKO Weavile and Yanmega, but Taunt can be used to ensure that slower leads, such Bronzong, Hippowdon and Swampert, never set up Stealth Rock. All 252 Special Attack EVs aren't necessary, and can be transferred to Attack to allow Explosion to do as much as possible. However, going below 321 Special Attack is not recommended, as this is the minimum amount required to 2HKO the typical 338 HP / 330 SpD Bronzong with Leftovers 75% of the time.</p>

[SET COMMENT]
<p>This set uses Azelf's Speed and Focus Sash to help beat the common leads; Gengar, Gyarados and Bronzong. It OHKOes Gengar (outspeeding non Scarf variants and surviving Scarf variants with Focus Sash) using Psychic, OHKOes non Bulky Gyarados with Explosion (plus it always gets a Stealth Rock off), and 2HKOes Bronzong with Fire Blast.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is preferred for its chance to OHKO Weavile and Yanmega, but Taunt can be used to ensure that Bronzong never sets up Stealth Rock.</p>
The repetition becomes a little redundant and awkward.

Err seeing as how it has Focus Sash wouldn't the 4 EV's in HP be better placed in attack?

no e

Fire Blast is preferred for its chance to OHKO Weavile and Yanmega,
Ninjask is in the top 10 of lead usage for June and is also OHKO'd (granted Psychic has a chance of doing so too), and Psychic does OHKO two other common leads, Roserade and Infernape, which could be mentioned, but it's not 100% necessary since there's a chance they could be carrying sashes.

beat the common leads, Gengar, Gyarados and Bronzong
I'd mention that those are the 3 top leads, that's pretty significant IMO

Taunt can be used to ensure that Bronzong never sets up Stealth Rock
Bronzong's not the only SRer, Hippowdon and Swampert are both used as leads fairly commonly so it'd probably be better as "Taunt can be used to prevent all slower leads from setting up Stealth Rock" or something of the sort.

Looks pretty good other than that.

I would put Flamethrower on the last set as an option just for the fact Fire Blast can miss a lot. I remember in a battle against Maniaclyrasist, his Azelf Fire Blast missed a couple times in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)