Doubles Premier League 3: Captain Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Art by GenOne
Welcome to the 3rd edition of the Doubles Premier League​

How does DPL work?

There will be 6 teams, each with their own captain. Captains will then do a snake draft on Pokemon Showdown where they will take turns nomming and bidding in an auction for players who signed up to assemble their teams with limited credits available. The teams will then play one another for 5 weeks, with a new opponent each week. This will culminate with a Playoffs week consisting of the Top 2 teams overall from the 5 week main season.

How does one signup as a player?

Player signups will be incoming shortly with a thread happening early next week at the latest. Watch the forum for the thread to sign up.

How does one signup as a Captain?

To signup as a captain post in this thread with the following information and fill out the questionnaire below. Signups will be open until Monday 3/27
Name:
Timezone:

Questionnaire:
1. Good management begins with a good meal each day. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
2. What is your favorite tree?
3. Give us your 50% pinch berry tier list.
4. On a scale of 0 to BLOOD TOTEM, how deep in the anime hole are you?
5. Why should you be chosen to be a captain in DPL?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Name: Arcticblast
Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

Questionnaire:
1. Good management begins with a good meal each day. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
- I had a bowl of Frosted Flakes today; I woke up late and wasn't feeling very inspired. I had scrambled eggs for dinner last night though, does that count?
- this is a loaded question
- Mago Berry has the most competitive viability, because it's the most likely to be stolen by Hoopa, as Hoopa that lose their item are usually TR Hoopa that ate their Sitrus Berry. From there, I believe Iapapa and Figy to be of equal strength in name quality. Aguav comes in fourth due to its synergy with Pokemon names (such as Aguav Arcanine and Aguav Araquanid), and lastly Wiki, while still good in its own right, simply doesn't hold up to the others.
- I was watching the sun/moon Pokemon show for a while then forgot about it, and I've finished a couple animes in the past, so I'm gonna say 2. 3 if you count being related to a gross weeb
- I managed the S.S. Anne Serperiors two DPLs ago and did pretty well! I also really really want to manage pretty please let me manage I even had a logo made already :)

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Che Ckmatre

1) 4 croissants
2) jade tree bc
succulents are really cool
3)i am ur papa
4) watched howl's moving castle and kubo, that's about it
5) Will carry on shitposter legacy and stay loyal to the TRUE DOU COMMUNITY fuck the illuminati

read resume for more

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Name: n10sit
Timezone: cdt (gmt -5)

Questionnaire:
1. Good management begins with a good meal each day. What did you have for breakfast this morning? Cookie cake
2. What is your favorite tree? groot
3. Give us your 50% pinch berry tier list. iapapa > aguav > figy > wiki > mago
4. On a scale of 0 to BLOOD TOTEM, how deep in the anime hole are you? 0
5. Why should you be chosen to be a captain in DPL? I really want to play some pokemon with my friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

name: chaos
timezone: edt

questions:
1. a bowl of reeces puffs
2. fuck the trees :/
3. mago>iapapa=aguav>others
4. cartoons*
5. clearly judging by the name field i think i should be captain because i own this site
6. go hippos!
e: i also wouldnt buy myself if it's allowed this year i'm worth less than the 3k min :(

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mizuhime
Est

I had a strawberry and banana smoothie + a bagel
Cherry Blossom Trees
The one that doesn't confuse your mon :')
Soulgazer
I've been a successful SPL and DPL manager + you got host over me :(

the return of?
or maybe another name?

Last edited:
PoliLoco/ Single Thunder
EST -4

Questionnaire:
1. I enjoy a raw blueberry bagel on the highway to school, and a travel cup of mango juice
2. I like trees that talk. or Cherry blossom trees
3. Iapapa is supreme. Tastes the best too 10/10
4. My avatar is anime, so that's cool. Got started on anime because of the DOU PS room. Anime releases dopamine in my brain
5. I've been a good player in doubles, and been around for three years. I'd like to be a bigger part in the community, and DOU and its players are fun

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Name: SamVGC
Timezone: US Eastern -4

Questionnaire:
1. I had raspberries, yogurt, and a sandwich
2. I personally lean towards the pine, though the maple is a strong choice
3. Iapapa > Mago > Figy > Wiki > Aguav
4. I'm a solid 17
5. I've had heaps of teams tour experience on both the managing and player side, managed my team to second place in BSPL, managed a team in NPA 4, played in NPA 5/6, DPL 2, SPL 8, etc.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Iced Coffee. Usually have peanut butter on toast and a banana, but was running late today

Southern Live Oak

I only use choice scarf, sitrus, LO, left overs, and sash. Anything else makes you a try hard

0.5 I like the simpsons

1) drafts deserving players other managers would pass on
2) played all my active players at least 3 games. other managers played bench players once or twice
3) called stratos' bluff into buying checkmater
4) coined the phrase Doubles Illuminati
5) pioneered the bo3 bo3 bo3 format
6) expanded stratos sun from a sample team into a framework
7) hosted DUU tour and invented the Host's Notes
8) tried to save Jirachi
9) came within 1 battle from finals last year
10) Came up with the name Hungry Hungry Hippowdons which is currently voted as the best team name

I said I was gonna write a rap but I couldnt come up with much today. Heres a little thing I thought of

The Illuminati Killa bringing back the Hippos for DPL Three
Ready to cripple the competition like an arrow to the knee
I am the Voice of the Voiceless, the Truth and Light,
aka the Illuminati’s Kryptonite. The realest nigga out here, always up for a fight
Taking Hippos to new a height

And I won’t be stopped by the Illuminati
Always prepared like Checkmater stepping off the Potty
2016 I flushed the doubters and exceeded all expectations
2017 is the year for the Hippo’s Celebration

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Name: Memoric
Timezone: GMT+8

Questionnaire:
1. Good management begins with a good meal each day. What did you have for breakfast this morning? I had some good locally grown rice, just harvested, along with some meat fresh from the slaughter

2. What is your favorite tree? I like the Narra tree, though I don't know if you guys know about it or anything. It's our national tree.
3. Give us your 50% pinch berry tier list. Figy, then Mago, then after that it drops so much that they're pretty much not worth mentioning
4. On a scale of 0 to BLOOD TOTEM, how deep in the anime hole are you? I only watch shitty romances and flavors of the month, so 6 probably.
5. Why should you be chosen to be a captain in DPL? My last year's personal record aside, I do pretty well in DPL. I got to playoffs the first time + I have an eye for talent with Nido-Rus, miltankmilk, and Croven from last year's Tramplers all reaching SPL. I'm connected with the community and also have experience in the real thing, SPL.

I can also shut down this whole tournament if I wanted to

Fran

formerly Frania
is a Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Name: Frania (Franciszek :o)
Timezone: GMT +1

Questionnaire:
1. Good management begins with a good meal each day. What did you have for breakfast this morning? coffee + starbucks sandwich
2. What is your favorite tree? sequoia!
3. Give us your 50% pinch berry tier list. Mago, Figy, Wiki rest is too hard to type (bad)
4. On a scale of 0 to BLOOD TOTEM, how deep in the anime hole are you? i only liked sailor moon so like 2
i have competed in spl so in the 'real thing', i played 2/9 still i enjoyed the expeirence so much and i think i learned about how fun can it be if when you have nice team atmosphere so hopefully ill able to pass that onto my dpl team. i have never managed in the premier league before but i think you should give someone new a shot, since the two best teams from last year lost their managers and there was a huge gap between them and the rest (at least in statistics, i didnt get to watch it live) so someone new perharps with a better perspective on who is good right now in doubles could be an improvement. also first SM DOU Circuit Finalist!

Last edited:

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Name: Braverius
Timezone: GMT-7 - US Pacific

Questionnaire:
Coffee and a Clif bar

Does Wisteria count as a tree? If not, birch.

1) Wiki. The best, a palate pleaser.
2) Aguav. It's probably a watermelon and watermelon is totally fucking dope.
3) Iapapa. It looks like a butt on all sides so when you consume one of these you're literally eating ass.
4) Figy. It looks like an indescribable object you'd find at World Market, not something you should be relying on.
5) Mago. It looks stupid and why would you want to eat it?? I bet there are associated health risks.

Slowly crawling out but never really going to escape completely

I've played since the inception of the tier and can coach players on all gens, unless it's SM OU and Terrain is up, then it probably all goes to shit and I'll walk my whole squad right off a cliff.

I've managed in NPA for 3 years and coached football for 6, my experience is unmatched, only concern is if I'm capable of dropping enough hot memes to keep up.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Captain signups are now CLOSED, thanks to all who applied! Without further ado, the captains for this iteration of the tournament will be as follows:
  • Memoric will continue to be captain of the Tohjo Tramplers
  • Arcticblast will be taking over the Santalune Storms
  • Braverius will be taking over the Slateport City Spindas
  • Checkmater will be taking over the Six Island Shitposters
  • SamVGC will be taking over the Oreburgh Ancients
  • shaian will be taking over the Mossdeep City Space Jams
The names / logos / mascots are entirely subject to change or reversion, so get creative! I reserve the right to veto any offensive or nonsensical names but if you use common sense I won't have to do that.

You will all be allowed to play on your respective teams, provided that you buy yourself as a player for 10k out of the allotted 80k, same as last year. I believe the managers are all high enough caliber that there won't be any inherent advantages in making them all the same price, and raising to 15k complicates things unnecessarily.

Player signup thread is coming soon™ (before midnight EST tonight).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)