Doomsday's shack of underrated games- The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (PS2)

This is Doomsday with a new line of threads he hopes to make from now on: Doomsday's shack of underrated games. The fact is, I have a lot of playstation 2 games that one would probably see in a store and turn down because either the license was crappy, or because the magazines didn't say much about it. Well, I have decided to make some of these games justice! Today we start with The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction puts us, obviously, in the skin of Bruce Banner, better known as his alter-ego the Hulk. In this game, Bruce Banner has come close to a cure for himself (so he won't transform in hulk everytime he's angry), in the form of a machine. He has to be quick, though, because apparently a second personality is raging inside him, craving to get out. When Banner is giving the finishing touches to said machine, however, the government strikes an all out invasion in his hideout, and in the ensuing bedlam, his machine is destroyed. Banner manages to escape as Hulk.
Together with his friend and therapist Dr. Samson, he tries to rebuild the machine, and The Hulk becomes vital in this process, since his friend alone can't retrieve all the parts needed in time; Dr. Samson, through hypnotic suggestion, can now make Banner transform into the Hulk at demand.

The basis of the game consists in, basically, Hulk Smash. And Hulk Smash is fun. You have a free-roaming city (and later you can unlock other areas) in which you can SMASH stuff. In this sense, this game is kinda like GTA, because you have a "risk" bar; first they'll send cops after you, and then helicopters, and later in the game the government will even send mechs named Hulkbusters.

To progress in the game, you have to do missions that are scattered all over the city. Most of them are really fun. I remember one, for example, which had a copter drop some soldiers, and you had a lamp-post, and the objective was to send them as far as possible. They are really varied, too.

The Hulk has a wide array of abilities - and, oh man, do I mean WIDE. You start with basic ones, like, running, grabbing walls/vehicles/everything in the game including people (you can slap people if you grab them, it's so fun to see them squirm), running on walls, punching and kicking, etc. But as you collect power-ups you can use them to buy new moves for you, which include stuff like the Steel Fists (you can actually grab a car, and you click a certain button and Hulk will get some nasty steel knuckles you wouldn't want to be hit with), Atomic Clap (Hulk claps his hands and a gigantic wave of energy spreads out) and what the game likes to call, Atomic Mass moves. Those are like super-moves, you have an "atomic mass bar" and you build it up. once it's filled, you can do one of those. Most of them will generate enormous waves of radiation which will wipe mostly everything around the hulk in a certain radius.
You can charge most moves for a more powerful effect, too.

The bosses are varied, and later in the game, they're pretty fucking hard. I will be honest, I didn't finish the game yet. I stopped at the 3rd or 4th boss, if I remember correctly, the Abomination.

YES, HULK FANS - you can fight the Abomination in this game, and shit, he is angrier and greener than ever.

FINAL VEREDICT
Graphics - the graphics are pretty alright. Except some areas here and there, they get the job nicely done - 7/10
Sound - the sound is ok. They do a decent job in the voice-acting section, and the Hulk roars and grunts a lot - 6/10
Gameplay - the gameplay is this game's strongest point, despite maybe the times when you want to stop jumping and charge your super-jump and the Hulk is like "grunt" and keeps jumping. Otherwise, it's really neat - 8/10

TOTAL SCORE
7/10
If you like GTA because you can ensue chaos in a free-roaming city, only instead of shooting guns and driving cars you break guns and smash cars, this is your game. The missions are really varied and entertaining, so you won't get bored. It's a cool game.
If you don't like the Hulk or just confusion in general, at least give this jewel a try and rent it; if you are a Hulk fan... seriously go get it. I am not a Hulk guy (I'm more of a spiderman - get it), and yet I enjoyed and I still do. I just wish I'd have enough patience to try and beat the boss I'm stuck in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)