DLC

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Ever since Fire Emblem : Shadows of Valentia and Breath of the Wild came out, I never really thought about the games that have been recently released tend to have optional paid DLC tacked along with it (amiibos and extra downloadable content for example). I've never really been exposed to DLC purchases mainly because the primary game I played was Pokemon, which never had any DLC you had to pay for (that I'm aware of anyways).

Personally, the concept of purchasable DLC is bogus because like, all I see is greed. Like I remember games (back before the 3ds, Wii U, Xbox one were released), the games you bought came with everything and nothing else got tacked on usually (unless its Pokemon but, Mystery Gifts tend to be free)

So I just bought Fire Emblem SoV and found that the DLC seasons package (the best deal according to Nintendo which comes with 5 different DLC things) is $45 USD, as opposed to buying them individually which would cost more as each DLC segment was around $10-15 iirc. Which was a bit pricey for me since I'll be basically paying $80 for a game (the game costs $35 for me through Amazon + $45 package).

Anyways, I'm curious as to what people do when it comes to any game with DLC you have to pay for. Like do you pay for all of it (like bundle deals and stuff), pay for what you want, or just are you just like screw it?

First I think we need to differentiate 'good' and 'bad' DLC. I'd say good DLC is where the game is fully finished, and then afterwards the developers say 'hey people like this, let's make some more stuff for it', with examples being Borderlands and Skyrim. Bad DLC in my mind is either when the DLC is required to properly enjoy the game - whether that be because the devs cut material from the original game to sell later (Assassin's Creed has done this iirc, as an example), or the inclusion of micro transactions to give some players an advantage in multiplayer, etc.

Generally if a game is guilty of bad DLC I just won't buy it, because fuck those devs. If it's good DLC it really depends on how addicted I am to the game - if I play it and still want more, I'll generally go for the best deal on DLC packs, while if I'm kind of done and want to move on to something else I'll leave it, even if I enjoyed playing that game.

If I like a game, I usually buy the DLC associated, no matter how overpriced. That being said, I only purchase DLC if I feel it will improve the expirience that I have.

Since I enjoy Nintendo games immensely, I pretty much alway buy the DLC associated with most of their games. I bought all the DLC for Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 as soon as they came out (with the exception of the Mii costumes for Smash Brothers since they have no added functionality other than aesthetic). I also bought most of the DLC for the 3ds fire emblem games and in all three cases, I don't regret my purchases, since I found most of the DLC to be pretty high quality (as in, the content presented by the developers, not the pricing).

I also bought all the DLC for Star Wars Battlefront just because I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the maps the developers provided were high content. Again, the DLC was a hefty price, but that didn't really matter to me since the content I got was so good.

Overall, I think DLC as a practice is fine. It does give the developer the oppurtunity to both revitalize and extent interest in their games, while in a majority of cases, also making it signficantly more fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)