Disconnecting in Global Link matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jus yesterday I was in doubles. I had starmie and hitmontop out. He had latios and metagross. I used wide guard and he used explosion. Ah he quitted sooo quickly.
Something close to this happened to me last night in triples.

My opponent ha out Hydregion, Hitmontop, and Bronzong (with a Normal Gem).

I had Reuniclus, Amoonguss, and Jigglypuff.

Hitmontop used Wide Guard,

Jigglypuff used protect.

Amoonguss used Rage Powder.

Hydregion used Dragon Pulse.

Bronzong used Explosion.

Bronzong fainted...(Nothing else did).

Reuniclus used Trick Room.

Opponent d/c's.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What with all of the d/cs due to hax or poor play, how many disconnections do you think are accidental? Has an accidental or otherwise pointless disconnection ever occured to you?

Today my wi-fi was acting up, so I got disconnected a few times unfortunately... normally it's fine though. Rage quits are pretty obvious though, with their convenient timings.

What with all of the d/cs due to hax or poor play, how many disconnections do you think are accidental? Has an accidental or otherwise pointless disconnection ever occured to you?
I remember one day where I was disconnected two or three times from two or three different people with no conceivable reason. One time both our leads had fainted and I DD'd with Gyara as his Gallade got a Swords Dance. In the battle after that, my opponent was winning at the time.

I've experienced more D/C's during storms or otherwise ugly weather (in Mario Kart Wii and Pokemon).

So I just checked out the GBU leaderboards and I see these guys with rankings 2000-ish. Am I the only one who can't take that seriously? If the guys who have 1700+ rankings tend to rage quit to keep their stats it makes me wonder about these ones. I don't doubt that they had to have skill to get that high through all the rage quitting that happens but still I can't help but think they're just the lucky ones that ran into the fewest quitters.

Just got D/C'd on by another Japanese player, who had over 200 wins.

They used a Venusaur, which I give props for. :D

Anyway, I opened with Terrakion, and got FOUR flinches with rock slide.. I knew I was going to lose, since Venusaur completely walls him, but I kept getting lucky on the flinches.

He switched out the Venusaur, sac'd another pokmemon to Close Combat, then brought him BACK out, and got flinched again for the kill. During the winning screen she DC'd and denied me the victory. It was the last one I needed to get a star, go figure.

--

Yet another D/C from a Japanese player with 1700+ wins today. She opened with Ludicolo, I with Mamoswine. I switch into Scizor, she Giga Drains for minimal damage. She switches, and I catch a Swords Dance thinking she'd switch anyway. She goes into Aggron (I think that's it? 3rd Aron Evo?) who misses a Head Smash. I kill it with Superpower and she immediately D/C's. :D So far, I've played out more American player matches (even though they have been considerably more pathetic, i.e bringing level 45 and lower pokemon, and un EV'd pokemon) without D/C's than Japanese. This seems to contridict what people here have been saying.

Japanese player with 1700+ rating beats me... the next match I get him again and I win this time... he disconnects... why does this still surprise me?

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was playing Triples yesterday, and found a Canadian guy with 600+ wins. He seemed to know what he was doing, but near the end of the match I was winning (due to the high amount of disconnects in Triples, my score is at 4 wins, 1 loss), and then he disconnected.

Apparently, he thought that using both a Cottonee and a Whimsicott would give him a sure victory.

Japanese players in Singles used to disconnect most often, but nowadays they seem to do that rarely. Though I haven't been on random too often, I think it may have to do with the ranking season.

Once i got DCed because my little brother tripped over the cord in my modem.

Accidents do happen. But then again . . some people can't accept losing

I did my first ever double battles last night on Free mode... to test the waters... and I kid you not, I was ragequit on three or four times in a row.

Maybe it's worse in doubles...

Maybe it's worse in doubles...
NOPE! :P

I was on Free Rotation. First person quit when I killed their first poke. Then the second. And the third let the battle end... and then quit. After that I lost one and went to Free Singles, where I was promptly ragequit on and I decided to read a book.

Today I think I experienced a true accident though. On Free Rotation, their Serperior was asleep and their lv.1 Aron lost its Shell Bell, and they just took down Regigigas when we were D/C'ed.

I've come to the conclusion that there's just no point in even trying to play someone who has a 1800+ rating. Just played a guy with 1910 rating. So his 3 were Politoed, Scizor, and Specs Kingdra. My three were Specs Starmie, Scizor, and DD D-nite. Opens with Star vs Poli and he switches Scizor in and takes a T Bolt. He stays in and uses Q Attack then gets killed by another T Bolt. Kingdra comes in and kills Starmie. I bring Scizor in. He switches Politoed into Bug Bite and it KOs with a crit. Scizor tries to Bug Bite Kingdra now but it Hydro Pumps, lands a crit (though I'm positive was unneeded) and KOs Scizor. Enter D-nite. Dragon Claw (I opt that over Outrage) takes Kingdra to maybe 25% HP and obviously with Multiscale I survive a Hydro Pump. D-Nite then Extremespeeds for the win. Anyone wanna guess what happened when the screen showed the animation for Extremespeed? Guess right and you get a cookie.

This of course only goes to support my earlier post about how you can't take any of those leaderboards from GBU seriously. 2000+ rating? How many games did you D/C to keep it that high?

This of course only goes to support my earlier post about how you can't take any of those leaderboards from GBU seriously. 2000+ rating? How many games did you D/C to keep it that high?
I must agree with this post. I completely understand why, if I were in the shoes of someone with 2000+ wins, I would D/C when I'm liable to lose a hundred points from a loss. But that kind of player needs to wear someone else's shoes too, the shoes of someone who is trying to climb from 1500 or 1600 with a good team and a good head behind it but just freaking can't because of all the D/Cs. And that guy eventually just turns to disconnecting too.

I'm not better than anybody else--I would start D/Cing too at that point--and that's why I've decided to stay away from Rating Mode unless I just want to test a team against generally-better-than-Free-Mode-teams to make it better, and thus don't care about points.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Gotta agree with ya Lorenz.

When I'm not getting outpredicted,haxed, or just straight beat Im getting d/c. It has become hard making it past 1700, so i just do free......, but then most people aren't too good, finding a good battle every 5 games. This makes me go to rated knowing whats expected.

Also I can see why 2000+ rating d/c. I mean if they win there only getting 5 points a game and then one lose and you lose 20x that amount. Though the person on the other side of the battle tends to rant about how s/he got d/c'd on.

The more people DC the longer it takes for me to find a battle. How is this fair???

Today was hilarious online though.

Me: Air Ballon Heatran
Opponent: Excadrill (Earthquake, Rock Slide, Brick Break and Return)

(By miss I mean no hit due to ballon)
Me: Sends out Heatran
Opp: Earthquake miss
Me: Heat Wave miss
Opp: Earthquake miss
This continues on for a few turns then...
Me; Heatwave crit and ko
Opp: RAGEQUIT

Opp was 1600+ as well. I just kinda sat there and lol'd. Than I decided to play PO due to how long my ds takes to find an online battle (15 min(No i never dc'd myself)).

I am an utter perfectionist. If I had to live with losses I'd have made, I'd flood with anxiety and maybe even hyperventalate from excessive stress or even start a new game. Unlike PO, where the ability to wipe your record clean is present, those losses decorate your screen every time u play, staring at u FOREVER(!) In any game with a loss penalty 4 disconnecting, I can get over a loss, substituting my perfect record for a more-wins-than-losses record, but if I have the option, I won't choose 2 add a loss

sorry for double posting, but the psp has a limit to words being typed at once.

anyway, a penalty for disconnecting is terrible. I wouldn't mind a penalty policy for rage quits but WHAT IF I HAVE TO LEAVE? If i'm playin', and I need to do something occupying more than 2 minutes of time, then FML. I wish they could magically separate ragequits and need to leaves, but you can't really determine the cause of their leaving until the last poke faints, what with focus sash sweeping or whatever else, so OH WELL.

sorry for double posting, but the psp has a limit to words being typed at once.

anyway, a penalty for disconnecting is terrible. I wouldn't mind a penalty policy for rage quits but WHAT IF I HAVE TO LEAVE? If i'm playin', and I need to do something occupying more than 2 minutes of time, then FML. I wish they could magically separate ragequits and need to leaves, but you can't really determine the cause of their leaving until the last poke faints, what with focus sash sweeping or whatever else, so OH WELL.
See that's the thing, I'm not the only one who is willing to bet good money that at least 90% of D/Cs are rage quits. I don't care how much of a perfectionist you are, you lost, play the game fair, take the loss and figure out how to not have it happen again. I'm all for a rating penalty for disconnects. As I've said most are rage quits, it just sucks to be the one who had a legit disconnection mid-battle. Too many people spoiled it to where punishing everyone is the desired answer to this problem.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, in the end it really comes down to the amount of value you give to playing the game "fairly," and how much you care about winning. In a strictly competitive environment, d/cing at a loss is always a better choice, but then no one would ever get a win. In an ideal universe, Game Freak would penalize for disconnects, but we unfortunately have no way to control that. In my opinion, though, it's a complete dick move to d/c on a loss.

See that's the thing, I'm not the only one who is willing to bet good money that at least 90% of D/Cs are rage quits. I don't care how much of a perfectionist you are, you lost, play the game fair, take the loss and figure out how to not have it happen again. I'm all for a rating penalty for disconnects. As I've said most are rage quits, it just sucks to be the one who had a legit disconnection mid-battle. Too many people spoiled it to where punishing everyone is the desired answer to this problem.
I hate myself for doing it. But I get disconnected on more than I disconnect on people anyway. I'm all for a penalty for disconnecting, but I still will hate getting a penalty for disconnecting when I need to leave. AND THE BIG THING ABOUT IT IS, I disconnect way way way way way way way way way way way more because I need to go then because of me losing. My Shuckle (see sig) takes a while to set up, what with using power split, rest, and spamming accupressure 22 times before actually sweeping. That takes a while, and when my parents ask me to do something, I can't ignore them for ten minutes.

anyway, times I disconnected/got disconnected on:

-Shuckle was halfway through accupressure spamming against a sand veil (or whatever it was) sandstorm Garchomp. I was doing fine, and was going to sweep him eventually, but I had to go and disconnected. If I'm winning and have to go, a penalty will REALLY suck.

-down to the last poke, my Shuckle was in a pinch and I had to start sweeping early, he's gonna use his 5th rollout and my opponent is down to his last poke: a weavile. I had 33 or so HP and he's at red too. He's not power splitted and my accupressuring is incomplete (not at all +6, probably somewhere between +0 and +4 for each stat) [keep in mind I didn't have a team to support him] he uses night slash. I laugh at the 11 or so damage. I destroy him and he disconnects. It's a shame, I wanted that battle video.

-Galvantula vs. Scizor

Galvantula uses volt switch
does 40 or so%
switch to Whimsicott (lol encore, he won't X-scissor me)
Scizor uses flying gem acrobatics
-.-
I send out Bannete

he switches to Infernape
I use cotton guard

He uses fire blast
I die :P

I send out Galvantula.

THUNDER! (compound eyes :P)
he dies

he sends out suicune

THUNDER! 61% damage, 20% healed by sitrus berry
he gets paralyzed and can't move

THUNDER! lol

he sends out scizor

I uses thunder, he gets paralyzed (30% chance XD) hes down to red
it uses acrobatics I have like 6 hp left (so fragile)

he tries to use bullet punch (which is why he went first) but is paralyzed and can't move
volt switch he dies :D

he disconnects :(

I don't mind disconnects too much, because to me, winning doesn't matter so much as not losing (referring to my record here)

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I used to get really angry at people disconnecting, but since I've been at Uni. if I'm not in my room, my WiFi just doesnt have it, and disconnects. If you see me battling, and this happens, I'm sorry, but I can't always sit at my desk.

Saying this though, I really wish I was inclined to believe that this was the case for everyone, but, it's quite clearly not, unless peoples routers can detect an assbeating. They'll never be able to monitor it though, as people with cheap routers like me would get all ticked off.

Dozz mate, my room doesn't even have wifi. :'(

Also lol I sort of had to DC last night because I was on rated and wasn't paying attention at all while the battle was starting so it came out with my front 2 pokemon (and politoed wasn't even picked, this being a rain team) so I just DCed lol. My rating is on 2071 so ummm yeaaah that was the first time I'd had to DC to keep it and I wasn't letting it go down just cause of that.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Dozz mate, my room doesn't even have wifi. :'(

Also lol I sort of had to DC last night because I was on rated and wasn't paying attention at all while the battle was starting so it came out with my front 2 pokemon (and politoed wasn't even picked, this being a rain team) so I just DCed lol. My rating is on 2071 so ummm yeaaah that was the first time I'd had to DC to keep it and I wasn't letting it go down just cause of that.
Hah this happens to me, when it takes 3 years to get me a opponent, and finally I hear a beep, but by then im past out sleeping until I hear that battle music, and im like crap.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if d/cs were handled better id be playing this as much as 6 on 6 but because a records growth is dependent strictly on how many games you win without connectivity issues is a put off.

What I'd seen almost chronically, JP players DCing on me, has completely changed as I've gotten more wins. Now it's very rare that a JP player will DC if I win against him, but low wincount western trainers DC almost as much as they don't. It's like JP players get more respect for you as you grow higher and don't think your winning against them is "beneath their contempt," so to speak, while western players want to "bring you down to their level" if they're low in count.

I don't say all this to create or continue a stereotype, only I remember saying that JP players seemed to DC a lot and I feel now, due to overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that I have to say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)