Cretacerus Art

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
For your 666th post, why 3 butterflies instead of 6? It just destroys the concept D: also, is it me or is it on purpose that they're looking at eachother? Like the red one is looking at the blue one, the blue one at the purple one and the purple one back at the red one.
Well, a couple of reasons for this include...
  1. Each of the three Vivillon is based on a Pokemon typically associated with hell. Adding more Vivillon based on Pokemon who's roots aren't as clear could end up more distracting than helpful for the concept.
  2. The number 3 still has a lot of relevancy in the Book of Revelation, where the number of the beast has its origin (three plagues, three foul spirits, three angels, etc.).
  3. In terms of composition, a total of three Vivillon is perfect to keep the image dynamic while not outright overwhelming the viewer.
  4. I didn't have the time, motivation, and creativity to draw the additional three Vivillon. x_X

---------------------

Anyway, here's the banner you requested for your project. It's quite amazing how well Giovanni and Persian match in terms of color scheme, so I tried to take advantage of that in the image. Hope you like it!

Giovanni.jpg

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Who says that Cubone couldn't upgrade their helmet if they found a suitable replacement?

This little fellow stumbled upon what is arguably the toughest skull in the Pokemon world, and a particularly stylish one at that. We don't know where it managed to pick up a Rampardos skull in such a good condition, and paleontologists will probably go crazy at the thought of it being used for combat. But one thing is for sure: Rock Head Head Smash would be absolutely amazing on Cubone!
196 Atk Thick Club Cubone Head Smash vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
196 Atk Thick Club Cubone Head Smash vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Archen: 30-36 (120 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 Atk Thick Club Cubone Head Smash vs. 156 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 30-36 (130.4 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 Atk Thick Club Cubone Head Smash vs. 36 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Koffing: 11-13 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Thick Club Cubone Head Smash vs. 68 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Chespin: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Cubordos_complete.jpg

------------------------------

Here's an avatar format of Rampardos-Skull Cubone, along with two of my previous avatars which I touched up on for the *Friendly* Regional Debate articles. The first part has been released recently and was a joy to read, so I'm definitely looking forward to the other two parts!

Cubordos160.jpg
Chirokita160.jpg
Noibat160.jpg

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Here's a banner I did for the NU Archetype Core thread which was requested some time back. It seems as though it has gotten another (more matching) banner in the meantime though, so I'm not sure whether it will still find any use. Oh well. ^^

In any case, the banner was actually quite fun to work on, since the NU tier is home to a variety of overlooked designs which you don't usually encounter too often. I tried to experiment a bit with more dynamic colors in this, including different tones of shading and highlights on each of the Pokemon, instead of just the standard purple shading and yellow highlights. And it's quite surprising just how much difference a shift in color tones can make especially in regards to the personality and mood of the subjects!

NU_ArchetypeCores.jpg

The typography is again rather simple in the banner and might not fit too well, so I included a version without text below. The colored whirl in the background is also more apparent in that version, so it might look a bit more dynamic and structured as well. ;)
NU_ArchetypeCores_pure.png

Here's a banner I did for the NU Archetype Core thread which was requested some time back. It seems as though it has gotten another (more matching) banner in the meantime though, so I'm not sure whether it will still find any use. Oh well. ^^

In any case, the banner was actually quite fun to work on, since the NU tier is home to a variety of overlooked designs which you don't usually encounter too often. I tried to experiment a bit with more dynamic colors in this, including different tones of shading and highlights on each of the Pokemon, instead of just the standard purple shading and yellow highlights. And it's quite surprising just how much difference a shift in color tones can make especially in regards to the personality and mood of the subjects!

View attachment 61547

The typography is again rather simple in the banner and might not fit too well, so I included a version without text below. The colored whirl in the background is also more apparent in that version, so it might look a bit more dynamic and structured as well. ;)
Wow, this is beautiful. Thank you very much for your work, Cretacerus. erisia this is the art that I put in a request for, tell me what you think.

I saw that Mightyena as one of Recreant's avatars, a few days before the Sinnoh vs. Unova debate article was released. Nice touch with her Poké Ball pattern'd headphones there.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
I don't post much in art, but I absolutely had to pop in here to say your art is so amazing, I wish I could draw for the life of me. Hope you do well in the future :)

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! I'll be doing a couple of new interview avatars soon, so I'll slot in a Scyther for Dundies as well! ;)

-----

In the meantime, here's something that I'm currently working on, featuring the move Substitute from the games. Originally, I planned on drawing just a random shadowy figure behind the Substitute, until I realized that Sableye was actually perfect for that role. Since the Substitute doll saw a significant size increase in Generation 6, it is now around the size of Mega Sableye's giant crystal as well!
Substitute.jpg

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
hey cretacerus! im really digging this art (especially the one in my avi). is there any way i can get some scyther art just like it with the white border and all? thank you!
Here you go!
Scyther_medium.jpg

Scyther's design tends to take up a lot of space and was therefore quite challenging to fit into a compact square format, so I opted for a perspective that would focus mostly on its key features, i.e. the head and claws.
Since the color scheme has relatively low contrast, I relied a lot on shading and lighting in this image to bring out Scyther's distinctive body structure, though the smaller avatar format might still lack a bit of definition with the high amounts of detail on limited space. I attached it anyway, so you can judge for yourself. ^^

Scyther_avatar.jpg

The Jigglypuff looks very cute. I wonder who had intentions on using it at first. Seems that there are some official artwork from the Global Link in the Unown artwork.

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a Clefairy whenever you have time.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Spiritomb is quite fun to draw, with its expressive and dynamic yet simple design. In order to convey its spectral features more accurately, I tried a slightly different art approach this time. The outlines are simplistic and thin, and blend into the color layer for the most part, while the lighting, texture and background were done with a combination of Paint.NET's Dents, Fragment and Twist effects.

Spiritomb.jpg

This image was created for Nelson Tangela's giveaway thread, which specializes on shiny Ghost-types and other spooky creatures. Therefore, Spiritomb was initially surrounded by a small horde of shiny Ghost types in the thread banner, though I removed them here since the vast and empty darkness seemed to work better for the standalone piece. For those curious, I attached the full thread banner below. ;)
Spiritomb_large.jpg

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey Cretacerus , awesome art thread you got.I love your arts, are you still taking request, sorry

If yes, can you draw a mega heracross standing up boldly and courageously
Thanks, man! Unfortunately, I've already gotten quite a number of requests in the past few weeks, and won't be able to handle any new ones as of now. I'm also planning on doing a rather large project based on fossil Pokemon soon, so for now I can't really bring up all too much spare time, sorry.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
The second chapter of the Little Cup Handbook™ has been released, this time taking a closer look at the top threats in the metagame. Check out the complete article here to find out more about their performance in the tier, and other interesting details. ;)

For the following images, I once again utilized the simplistic platforms and backgrounds from the games to match the handbook theme, but went for more dynamic poses this time. To convey the different environments and personalities, I also employed some of the colored shading and lighting effects which I've recently been experimenting with.

Mienfoo.png

Pawniard.png

Porygon.png

Damn Creta, the Piplup is very cute, while the Munchlax looks very smug. Do the Big Eater Pokémon's eyelids actually have that color, though? The substitute doll looks like a cool plushie to have, but I wonder if it will ever become a legitimate Pokémon. Now that Mimikyu exists, there's no chance.

Speaking of which, I forgot about my July request for you: I'll give you a choice between Clefairy, Mimikyu, or Yo-kai Watch's USApyon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)