Creative & Underrated Sets in STABmons

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Alright I'm not posting a creative set this time. But this set is severely underrated:

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD (or max special defense)
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psystrike
- Defog/Earthquake/Hidden power Fire

Mega Latias is easily one of the best pokemon in the meta right now, although I haven't actually seen this pokemon used once. It has amazing power, good STABs, defogs reliably, and walls so much of the meta; in fact, I'll just pull this up from the viability rankings (I know they're outdated, but let me just make a point):
Thundurus, Landorus-T, Heatran, Landorus-I(stall get hyped), Charizard Y, Special Talonflame

Another thing to note is that it's a mon that walls keldeo that actually has several uses outside of walling keldeo.

The moveset was made so that it can survive the 2HKO from landorus-I's hurricane and retaliate back with a psystrike and/or Draco Meteor. Roost is for recovery, draco and psystrike are the obligatory STABs, and the last slot is up to you; defog if you want to get rid of hazards reliably, earthquake if you want to beat heatran more quickly, or hidden power fire if you despise scizor.

What's great about this set is that it actually makes stall possible in this tier. Before, stall was impossible because there were so many possibilities and the meta was incredibly random. After the meta settled down a bit, people suddenly realized that literally nothing walled landorus-I, and prankster taunt thundy became extremely problematic for stall with oblivion wing and volt switch for momentum. With this set, you not only get to check those two pokemon (which would warrant it a spot on every stall team already), but you also get a non-niche check to choicetran, talonflame, and keldeo. In fact, I already built a decent-ish stall team around it, and this set in particular is extremely effective against many teams, since lando-t, keldeo, thundy, and talonflame are literally everywhere. Oh yeah, and it puts in a lot of work as a generally effective tank and a defogger, which is why I'm posting this.

:afrostar:to unfixable 's freeze-dry Kyube. I used it extensively on my "AM REAL ENOUGH" team as a back up for my freeze-dry cloyster, and although it wasn't "as" effective due to the existence of fusion bolt, I still had fun with it.
I personally run a PDef set myself as it only gets 3hko'd by Diggersbae's Silk Scarf Espeed, but that's just preference on my end. :afrostar:

Alright I'm not posting a creative set this time. But this set is severely underrated:

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD (or max special defense)
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psystrike
- Defog/Earthquake/Hidden power Fire

Mega Latias is easily one of the best pokemon in the meta right now, although I haven't actually seen this pokemon used once. It has amazing power, good STABs, defogs reliably, and walls so much of the meta; in fact, I'll just pull this up from the viability rankings (I know they're outdated, but let me just make a point):
Thundurus, Landorus-T, Heatran, Landorus-I(stall get hyped), Charizard Y, Special Talonflame

Another thing to note is that it's a mon that walls keldeo that actually has several uses outside of walling keldeo.

The moveset was made so that it can survive the 2HKO from landorus-I's hurricane and retaliate back with a psystrike and/or Draco Meteor. Roost is for recovery, draco and psystrike are the obligatory STABs, and the last slot is up to you; defog if you want to get rid of hazards reliably, earthquake if you want to beat heatran more quickly, or hidden power fire if you despise scizor.

What's great about this set is that it actually makes stall possible in this tier. Before, stall was impossible because there were so many possibilities and the meta was incredibly random. After the meta settled down a bit, people suddenly realized that literally nothing walled landorus-I, and prankster taunt thundy became extremely problematic for stall with oblivion wing and volt switch for momentum. With this set, you not only get to check those two pokemon (which would warrant it a spot on every stall team already), but you also get a non-niche check to choicetran, talonflame, and keldeo. In fact, I already built a decent-ish stall team around it, and this set in particular is extremely effective against many teams, since lando-t, keldeo, thundy, and talonflame are literally everywhere. Oh yeah, and it puts in a lot of work as a generally effective tank and a defogger, which is why I'm posting this.

:afrostar:to unfixable 's freeze-dry Kyube. I used it extensively on my "AM REAL ENOUGH" team as a back up for my freeze-dry cloyster, and although it wasn't "as" effective due to the existence of fusion bolt, I still had fun with it.
:afrostar:

But do note that +2 Hidden Power Ice from Thundurus will always 2HKO Mega Latias, so it does have to watch out for switching in to the Nasty Plot and being smacked. Draco Meteor will never KO, however, so Thundurus could theoretically win through proper prediction provided no Stealth Rock is present. Then comes physical sets, which can 2HKO easily with Dragon Ascent / Brave Bird. Overall, it's a good check to Thundurus and does have to worry about Thunder Wave, but it's still a good Pokemon!

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt / Gear Grind
- Brave Bird

This set is one inspired by TFL for OU, and so I decided to try it out in STABmons. This set is an insanely effective lead set that I was surprised by, and it's been a lot of fun to use. I do enjoy leads to set hazards, then prevent them from being lost, and this set does that. It can usually get off a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, perhaps even more. The basic premise is to set hazards and get down to hazards and then hopefully get down to low health so Skarmory can Brave Bird and kill itself, making Defog / Rapid Spin useless. Surprising and effective set!

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt / Gear Grind
- Brave Bird
This set is one inspired by TFL for OU, and so I decided to try it out in STABmons. This set is an insanely effective lead set that I was surprised by, and it's been a lot of fun to use. I do enjoy leads to set hazards, then prevent them from being lost, and this set does that. It can usually get off a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, perhaps even more. The basic premise is to set hazards and get down to hazards and then hopefully get down to low health so Skarmory can Brave Bird and kill itself, making Defog / Rapid Spin useless. Surprising and effective set!

:pimp:

I approve​

:afrostar: on Baton Pass Scizor

:afrostar: on Freeze Dry Kyurem

:afrostar: on Shift Gear Empoleon

:pirate: on Latias. It's still a good set. I simply don't see how it's creative.

:toast: on Salac Berry Skarmory and Shell Smash Pyroar.

Salac Berry Skarmory: Most Defoggers don't pack that much firepower. At least in this tier. It's not a good strategy to wait for the opponent to put you at Salac range just so you can die with priority. This is truer with Defoggers, as the most they'd do is keep defogging while sneaking in a Knock Off. This set worked in OU because the antileads there were powerful attackers like Infernape and Garchomp. Or straight up setup mons like Volcarona.

Even if you manage to pull it off, it only takes a matter of time before the opponent Defogs/Spins again. As a general rule of thumb, losing your Defogger early in the match is never good.

Shell Smash Pyroar: Quagsire, Clefable. Due to the Stally nature of the ladder, most normal Types have resorted to effective FakeSpeeding. And frankly, Pyroar is far outclassed. It might turn out to be a niche threat in STABmons UU, however.

Last edited:

Mini Buddha (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Doom Desire
- Psystrike

Meet the original user of Doom Desire! Substitute is the crux of this set, which does three things:

1. Avoids revenging

2. Checks Chansey/Sableye (Even the rare DB Sableye. The best Sableye can do is Taunt.)

3. Capitalizes on the opponent's pressure to stay in and break the sub, while also taking a risk staying in on an impending Doom Desire.

This covers the Offensive, Defensive and in-between parts of the Meta. But of course, it doesn't cover Steel Types, which is exactly why you need Trappers. Since Jirachi can obliterate the rest of the Metagame by itself, you only need to take care of selected threats in Skarmory, Heatran and Scizor (Magnezone and Dugtrio can help you deal with that). Other Defensive mons with their usual sets, like Slowbro and Ferrothorn struggle to break the SubCM cycle and are ultimately whittled down. Even Quagsire can't take an albeit non-boosted Doom Desire and get hit by a follow up Psystrike, not that it can harm Jirachi anyway.

Other promising teammates are Choiced/Specd revengers, FakeSpeeders and generally good Wall breakers.

Oh and I forgot the most important thing - Doom Desire doesn't take the user's SpA when it's called. It takes the user's SpA when it hits. Once again, this goes hand in hand with SubCM and making the opponent piss in his pants due to tension.

I might have to rearrange the EVs just a little bit to outrun some threats.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-206843383

This set in play here. Doesn't really prove much, but it can destroy Stall teams in a pinch.

Last edited:

Mini Buddha (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Doom Desire
- Psystrike

Meet the original user of Doom Desire! Substitute is the crux of this set, which does three things:

1. Avoids revenging

2. Checks Chansey/Sableye (Even the rare DB Sableye. The best Sableye can do is Taunt.)

3. Capitalizes on the opponent's pressure to stay in and break the sub, while also taking a risk staying in on an impending Doom Desire.

This covers the Offensive, Defensive and in-between parts of the Meta. But of course, it doesn't cover Steel Types, which is exactly why you need Trappers. Since Jirachi can obliterate the rest of the Metagame by itself, you only need to take care of selected threats in Skarmory, Heatran and Scizor (Magnezone and Dugtrio can help you deal with that). Other Defensive mons with their usual sets, like Slowbro and Ferrothorn struggle to break the SubCM cycle and are ultimately whittled down. Even Quagsire can't take an albeit non-boosted Doom Desire and get hit by a follow up Psystrike, not that it can harm Jirachi anyway.

Other promising teammates are Choiced/Specd revengers, FakeSpeeders and generally good Wall breakers.

Oh and I forgot the most important thing - Doom Desire doesn't take the user's SpA when it's called. It takes the user's SpA when it hits. Once again, this goes hand in hand with SubCM and making the opponent piss in his pants due to tension.

I might have to rearrange the EVs just a little bit to outrun some threats.
Sounds kinda mediocre when you can use Heatran to do the same shuffling or Jirachi can Shift Gear, the better set up move. Sure, SubCM is cool and all, but I don't see it as very effective. Passing.

(p.s. can you please provide reasoning against salac berry skarm? it's a legit set.)

Heatran is walled by Chansey and Shift Gear Jirachi by Quagsire. While you can trap Heatran, Quagsire is annoying and hard to get at. Sableye can also Turvy/Burn it.

That, added to the fact that Jirachi is the best of the only two viable mons that can use Doom Desire + Special Setup (Unless you want to run DoomCM Bronzing or DoomGlow Scizor). The other, Lucario can do that as well, but as we know, it's too frail. A bulky DoomPlot Lucario might work, stress on might.

The day GameFreak releases a Bug/Steel or Dark/Steel mon with 100+ SpA and decent bulk, we'll have a new threat to STABmons.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Heatran is walled by Chansey and Shift Gear Jirachi by Quagsire. While you can trap Heatran, Quagsire is annoying and hard to get at. Sableye can also Turvy/Burn it.

That, added to the fact that Jirachi is the best of the only two viable mons that can use Doom Desire + Special Setup (Unless you want to run DoomCM Bronzing or DoomGlow Scizor). The other, Lucario can do that as well, but as we know, it's too frail. A bulky DoomPlot Lucario might work, stress on might.

The day GameFreak releases a Bug/Steel or Dark/Steel mon with 100+ SpA and decent bulk, we'll have a new threat to STABmons.
Unban genesect

Doom desire wormadam trash new meta

EV

Banned deucer.
I better post this now before it becomes standard and overused.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Naive
- Dragon Ascent
- Precipice Blades / Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Hidden Power [Ice]

I borrowed the idea of Choice Scarf Lando-T from OU and applied it to STABmons to decent success. The great thing about STABmons vs OU is the access to Flying STAB, which we all know pairs well with Ground. Normally Lando abuses Intimidate with a full defensive spread to check physical attackers, but it has a sky-high base Attack itself, so why not abuse it instead? Now since you're taking him out of service as a stop to things like Diggersby, you'll need to fill in that gap somewhere else.

On to the set! Dragon Ascent hits very hard with the trade-off of -1/-1 defenses versus recoil from Brave Bird. Because of its hit-and-run nature, DA is preferred. Precipice Blades hits even harder as long as you connect. EQ is slashed for the squeamish folks afraid of an important KO. U-turn is pretty handy on any Scarf set for obvious reasons. Knock Off gives it a SE hit on Air Balloon Aegislash and basically punishes switch-ins in general. Knock Off could be slashed with U-turn, but I think the momentum of the latter is too important to pass up. Lastly, the option to run HP Ice with Naive is worth considering since ironically Lando-T makes an excellent check to itself. Even without any investment, it's a 2HKO against 252/0 Lando after Leftovers. Cool, huh?

There are some things this bloke just can't break. Skarmory chiefly among them. Without HP Ice it fails to threaten Lando-T, Gliscor, and Mega Aerodactyl, but U-turn alleviates that. Heatran/Aegislash can't switch in safely, but it can scout you with King's Shield, neutering your Attack with a contact move like DA, U-turn, and Knock Off, and then getting a switch to something immune to Ground if you use PB/EQ instead, slowing down your momentum. Pair Lando with something that doesn't mind switching into those or that makes a good recipient to U-turn, like Keldeo, Gyarados, and Greninja, since Water STAB beats most of them and Taunt can shut down Skarmory.

Last edited:
I better post this now before it becomes standard and overused.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Naive
- Dragon Ascent
- Precipice Blades / Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Hidden Power [Ice]

I borrowed the idea of Choice Scarf Lando-T from OU and applied it to STABmons to decent success. The great thing about STABmons vs OU is the access to Flying STAB, which we all know pairs well with Ground. Normally Lando abuses Intimidate with a full defensive spread to check physical attackers, but it has a sky-high base Attack itself, so why not abuse it instead? Now since you're taking him out of service as a stop to things like Diggersby, you'll need to fill in that gap somewhere else.

On to the set! Dragon Ascent hits very hard with the trade-off of -1/-1 defenses versus recoil from Brave Bird. Because of its hit-and-run nature, DA is preferred. Precipice Blades hits even harder as long as you connect. EQ is slashed for the squeamish folks afraid of an important KO. U-turn is pretty handy on any Scarf set for obvious reasons. Knock Off gives it a SE hit on Air Balloon Aegislash and basically punishes switch-ins in general. Knock Off could be slashed with U-turn, but I think the momentum of the latter is too important to pass up. Lastly, the option to run HP Ice with Naive is worth considering since ironically Lando-T makes an excellent check to itself. Even without any investment, it's a 2HKO against 252/0 Lando's after Leftovers. Cool, huh?

There are some things this bloke just can't break. Skarmory chiefly among them. Without HP Ice it fails to threaten Lando-T, Gliscor, and Mega Aerodactyl, but U-turn alleviates that. Heatran/Aegislash can't switch in safely, but it can scout you with King's Shield, neutering your Attack with a contact move like DA, U-turn, and Knock Off, and then getting a switch to something immune to Ground if you use PB/EQ instead, slowing down your momentum. Pair Lando with something that doesn't mind switching into those or that makes a good recipient to U-turn, like Keldeo, Gyarados, and Greninja, since Water STAB beats most of them and Taunt can shut down Skarmory.
I shit you not. I actually used a HP Ice Landorus-T back in the day. So I know when I say it's effective. I meant to use PB + DA Landorus-T sometime, but you've beaten me to it.

:afrostar:

Reactions: EV

Boom Bird

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Boomburst
- Oblivion Wing

Most people underestimate the power of Substitute in a Meta offensive as this. Anything ranging from Kyurem-Black to Togekiss can effectively abuse Substitute + Setup to pressurize the opponent.

Pidgeot-Mega gains a one-up over them, being able to nuke things and still recover via Oblivion Wing. The HP EVs go well with Oblivion Wing and even without Speed investment, most relevant threats are out sped at +2.

I can only see Heatran as a good Check. Skarmory is 2HKOed by +2 Boomburst. Even Chansey can't take repeated knocks of +2 Boomburst, not to mention it can do very little back. You can simply set up on its face, recover via OW and proceed to sneak in a Substitute.

But it is kind of a waste of its Ability, but there's nothing better with such high SpA that can abuse these two Attacks with STAB.

Last edited:

Boom Bird

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Boomburst
- Oblivion Wing

Most people underestimate the power of Substitute in a Meta offensive as this. Anything ranging from Kyurem-Black to Togekiss can effectively abuse Substitute + Setup to pressurize the opponent.

Pidgeot-Mega gains a one-up over them, being able to nuke things and still recover via Oblivion Wing. The HP EVs go well with Oblivion Wing and even without Speed investment, most relevant threats are out sped at +2.

I can only see Heatran as a good Check. Skarmory is 2HKOed by +2 Boomburst. Even Chansey can't take repeated knocks of +2 Boomburst, not to mention it can do very little back. You can simply set up on its face, recover via OW and proceed to sneak in a Substitute.

But it is kind of a waste of its Ability, but there's nothing better with such high SpA that can abuse these two Attacks with STAB.
This seems like it's okay but Mega Pidgeot's main niche is spamming Hurricane and Sing, which this set fails to do. It's revenge killed so easily and this EV spread is weird x_x. As a booster, Togekiss is a better Flying-type, and as a Shell Smash abuser, Meloetta is better as whole.

EV

Banned deucer.
Another

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Crabhammer
- Thunder Wave

Oh boy am I loving this set. The list of things it checks and counters is truly amazing due to its typing, bulk with Intimidate, and the utility it offers while still maintaining an offensive presence. Firstly it's a hard stop to Keldeo 9 times out of 10. If Keldeo has Specs, which is getting more popular, shift some EVs over to Special Defense. It also comes in on Diggersby, Landorus-T, Scizor, offensive Gyarados, Aegislash, Azumarill, Heatran, and Talonflame to varying degrees of impunity. If they try to setup on you, none of them appreciate Thunder Wave (barring Diggersby and Landorus, who hate Water) and you can wear them down while Roosting off damaging in the meanwhile. It's also fun to use Thunder Wave as opponents bring in something to scare off Gyarados and expect you to switch. Not a lot of people are used to defensive Gyarados this generation so it tends to catch them off guard.

What it hates: Thundurus and Zapdos for obvious reasons. Can't touch them except with Crabhammer on the switch, so if they take SR damage you have a chance to get them if they're weakened already. It also doesn't like other Gyarados coming in and Intimidating it, but you can at least TWave them before leaving.

Here are some replays of it. It's not the MVP, but it definitely did its part.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210201685 - me vs. unfixable
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210168049 - me vs. Virginia = Virgin

Another

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Crabhammer
- Thunder Wave

Oh boy am I loving this set. The list of things it checks and counters is truly amazing due to its typing, bulk with Intimidate, and the utility it offers while still maintaining an offensive presence. Firstly it's a hard stop to Keldeo 9 times out of 10. If Keldeo has Specs, which is getting more popular, shift some EVs over to Special Defense. It also comes in on Diggersby, Landorus-T, Scizor, offensive Gyarados, Aegislash, Azumarill, Heatran, and Talonflame to varying degrees of impunity. If they try to setup on you, none of them appreciate Thunder Wave (barring Diggersby and Landorus, who hate Water) and you can wear them down while Roosting off damaging in the meanwhile. It's also fun to use Thunder Wave as opponents bring in something to scare off Gyarados and expect you to switch. Not a lot of people are used to defensive Gyarados this generation so it tends to catch them off guard.

What it hates: Thundurus and Zapdos for obvious reasons. Can't touch them except with Crabhammer on the switch, so if they take SR damage you have a chance to get them if they're weakened already. It also doesn't like other Gyarados coming in and Intimidating it, but you can at least TWave them before leaving.

Here are some replays of it. It's not the MVP, but it definitely did its part.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210201685 - me vs. unfixable
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210168049 - me vs. Virginia = Virgin
No questions asked. :afrostar:

What's Up Doc?

Vlad The Bunny (Diggersby) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
- Fake Out/Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Precipice Blades
- Super Fang

There's not much to explain, but this set beats stuff like Quagsire, Landorus-T and Ferrothorn with ease, who are by the way the most common switch-ins into Diggersby. Just to show how powerful this set can be, I will take into account only the lowest damage roll in all the following calculations:

50% + 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 265-312 (67.2)

50% + 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 196-231 (55.6) (Consider the fact that most Ferrothorn don't even run maximum Defense)

50% + -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 286-338 (74.8) (The Speed EVs are to outspeed a Landorus-T with no Speed investment, which is almost all of them. Sure, Ice Punch alone 2HKOes but with Super Fang, you don't have to predict. Anything coming in takes a dent.)

Moar:

50% + -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 122-146 (31) (Oooh, so close. But with very little prior damage or a little less investment in Defense, it's a kill. Maximum damage roll is ~34%)

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 286-337 (94 - 110.8%) (Predicted!)

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 354-421 (109.2) (Double predicted!)

Plus, you also need to consider that I haven't taken Stealth Rock or prior damage into account.

If you feel that Landorus-T is more of a threat to your team, feel free to replace Fake Out with Ice Punch, although you largely deter your revenge-killing capabilities that way.

This set goes well with a Stall team. Heck, you can even use a Super Fang Chansey to be honest. A Specially Offensive stall-breaking team-mate, like Taunt + Mixed Attacking Thundurus or Physically Defensive SubCM Keldeo also fit in like a glove.

Last edited:

What's Up Doc?

Vlad The Bunny (Diggersby) @ Life Orb
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
- Fake Out/Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Precipice Blades
- Super Fang

There's not much to explain, but this set beats stuff like Quagsire, Landorus-T and Ferrothorn with ease, who are by the way the most common switch-ins into Diggersby. Just to show how powerful this set can be, I will take into account only the lowest damage roll in all the following calculations:

50% + 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 265-312 (67.2)

50% + 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 196-231 (55.6) (Consider the fact that most Ferrothorn don't even run maximum Defense)

50% + -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 286-338 (74.8) (The Speed EVs are to outspeed a Landorus-T with no Speed investment, which is almost all of them. Sure, Ice Punch alone 2HKOes but with Super Fang, you don't have to predict. Anything coming in takes a dent.)

Moar:

50% + -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 122-146 (31) (Oooh, so close. But with very little prior damage or a little less investment in Defense, it's a kill. Maximum damage roll is ~34%)

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 286-337 (94 - 110.8%) (Predicted!)

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 354-421 (109.2) (Double predicted!)

Plus, you also need to consider that I haven't taken Stealth Rock or prior damage into account.

If you feel that Landorus-T is more of a threat to your team, feel free to replace Fake Out with Ice Punch, although you largely deter your revenge-killing capabilities that way.

This set goes well with a Stall team. Heck, you can even use a Super Fang Chansey to be honest. A Specially Offensive stall-breaking team-mate, like Taunt + Mixed Attacking Thundurus or Physically Defensive SubCM Keldeo also fit in like a glove.
I honestly don't understand this. For example, on quag and ferro, why wouldn't you just use precipice blades twice for the 2HKO anyways? Or use ExtremeSpeed twice? Sure there's a slight accuracy buff, and you get the pleasure of using super fang, but if one of those things is coming in, the only thing super fang really does is ease prediction. And for the mons you don't KO with super fang + the move of your choice, they can freely recover and rack up rocky helmet damage or just bop you with an attack.

Anyways, posting my own diggersby set that's far, far, far more gimmicky, but very, very, very, fun to use.

(BAN ME PLEASE) (Diggersby) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Knock Off/Precipice Blades
- Surf/Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Everyone talks about specs diggersby, but no one actually uses it. Well I tried it out, and can confirm that it's not actually completely bad. In fact, it actually does its job pretty well.

Okay, okay, you look at the 50 SpA stat, and say, "aesf, this set is complete shit". But the signature weapon of this set isn't with the actual moves or item. It's with the pokemon itself.

Diggersby is easily one of the most dominant pokemon in STABmons, able to utilize (abuse) fake out + extremespeed to revenge kill several threats in the metagame. It causes keldeo and thundurus and friends to almost always switch out, bringing stuff like landorus-T and ferrothorn and Mega Scizor and Mega Aerodactyl in.

What's so great about specs diggersby set is that, if played correctly, it can cause things that would otherwise beat it, like chansey, keldeo, thundurus, Azumarill, etc. to switch out, and it brings stuff like the aforementioned counters in, all of which it can easily bop on the switch. And it does it so reliably too. Unless you're facing a person who doesn't know almost anything about stabmons, your opponent will be aware that you can/will use fake out + extremespeed.

As for the moveset, Boomburst destroys most of diggersby's non resisting checks (and eats skarmory for breakfast too), Knock off is there once people realize you're specs and switch in chansey, although you can run precipice blades if you want, for the ground coverage. Surf bops mega aerodactyl as well as landorus-t if you're not sure which one is coming in, but you could always run earth power over surf if your team has nothing for heatran. Then again, no one in the right mind would ever switch in defensive heatran on diggersby, so you might not even need to run that. Finally HP Fire deals more damage to skarm on the switch, and beats Ferrothorn + Mega Scizor as well.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 295-348 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 252-297 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gyarados: 207-244 (52.6 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 188-222 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 212-252 (60.2 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(the only replay i have) of Diggersby killing 2 pokemon: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210908230 (you don't have to watch the whole battle, i just want to showcase how it works)

I honestly don't understand this. For example, on quag and ferro, why wouldn't you just use precipice blades twice for the 2HKO anyways? Or use ExtremeSpeed twice? Sure there's a slight accuracy buff, and you get the pleasure of using super fang, but if one of those things is coming in, the only thing super fang really does is ease prediction. And for the mons you don't KO with super fang + the move of your choice, they can freely recover and rack up rocky helmet damage or just bop you with an attack.

Anyways, posting my own diggersby set that's far, far, far more gimmicky, but very, very, very, fun to use.

Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf/Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Everyone talks about specs diggersby, but no one actually uses it. Well I tried it out, and can confirm that it's not actually completely bad. In fact, it actually does its job pretty well.

Okay, okay, you look at the 50 SpA stat, and say, "aesf, this set is complete shit". But the signature weapon of this set isn't with the actual moves or item. It's with the pokemon itself.

Diggersby is easily one of the most dominant pokemon in STABmons, able to utilize (abuse) fake out + extremespeed to revenge kill several threats in the metagame. It causes keldeo and thundurus and friends to almost always switch out, bringing stuff like landorus-T and ferrothorn and Mega Scizor and Mega Aerodactyl in.

What's so great about specs diggersby set is that, if played correctly, it can cause things that would otherwise beat it, like chansey, keldeo, thundurus, Azumarill, etc. to switch out, and it brings stuff like the aforementioned counters in, all of which it can easily bop on the switch. And it does it so reliably too. Unless you're facing a person who doesn't know almost anything about stabmons, your opponent will be aware that you can/will use fake out + extremespeed.

As for the moveset, Boomburst destroys most of diggersby's non resisting checks (and eats skarmory for breakfast too), Knock off is there once people realize you're specs and switch in chansey, although you can run precipice blades if you want, for the ground coverage. Surf bops mega aerodactyl as well as landorus-t if you're not sure which one is coming in, but you could always run earth power over surf if your team has nothing for heatran. Then again, no one in the right mind would ever switch in defensive heatran on diggersby, so you might not even need to run that. Finally HP Fire deals more damage to skarm on the switch, and beats Ferrothorn + Mega Scizor as well.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 295-348 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 252-297 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gyarados: 207-244 (52.6 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 188-222 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 212-252 (60.2 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Diggersby Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

(the only replay i have) of Diggersby killing 2 pokemon: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-210908230 (you don't have to watch the whole battle, i just want to showcase how it works)
While that certainly comes with a surprise factor, Specs locks you on to the move and they will simply switch back to their Special Wall. And a non-252 Adamant Attack also makes it easier for Physical Walls to handle you. And a lot of these walls have Protect/KS to scout you too. You simply become lacklustre with a tinge of surprise.

If it was an 0HKO or marginal 0HKO, I'd have given a star, because that can be easily achieved.

Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf/Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Giving this the :afrostar:.

+1.

Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf/Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Was that a Counter Gengar?
A... COUNTER GENGAR?

Ball Breaker Scizor

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off/Pin Missile

So, I realized that there wasn't Banded Scizor set on the archive and it sucks because Scizor is such a great wall breaker.

I will tweak EVs and add calcs later. This is just a reservation post.

EV

Banned deucer.

Ball Breaker Scizor

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off/Pin Missile

So, I realized that there wasn't Banded Scizor set on the archive and it sucks because Scizor is such a great wall breaker.

I will tweak EVs and add calcs later. This is just a reservation post.
I prefer Speed on mine and Knock Off over Pin Missile always otherwise you struggle with things like Zapdos and Rotom-H, plus it helps ease prediction with Heatran switch-ins, but U-turn mitigates those issues to an extent. I think if you want a Bug move besides U-turn on a Banded set you might as well go with Megahorn.

queen (Latias) (F) @ Latiasite

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor

- Roost

- Wonder Room

- Skill Swap
/ Heart Swap

This is a Latias set I've been experimenting a ton with. I was looking for moves it could learn with and I was beginning to see just how insanely wide their movepools are. One move in particular caught my eye: Wonder Room. While Wonder Room is in effect, all Pokemon on the field have their Defense and Special Defense inverted. What does this mean, exactly? Well, it means Latias 2HKOes Chansey, dents Heatran, 2HKOes Meloetta, dents Ferrothorn, smacks Empoleon, and hits a large majority of special walls for very hard damage now. It's quite a shock to switch in your Chansey, only to be eaten alive by a Draco Meteor! You know what else? Mega Latias now has a base Defense stat of 150! This means that Extreme Speed isn't a guaranteed 2HKO, Landorus-T's U-turn does a ton less, and that Mega Latias can switch between what it wants to counter. Due to Latias's insanely high Speed, it can literally control whatever it wants to wall. Roost keeps its health up throughout the match and is an excellent way to clean up late game when weakened. The final slot is totally unrelated to Wonder Room, but oh my gosh is it good! Skill Swap takes away every useful ability known to man like Huge Power Diggersby, Pixilate Mega Gardevoir, Flash Fire Heatran (but be careful because Levitate!), and even some defensive niches like Intimdate from Landorus-T, Prankster from Sableye, or even Thick Fat from a Mega Venusaur. The main purpose, however, is to smack through Mega Sableye, which has seen a large increase in usage. This allows it to smack Sableye with its vulnerable SpD and to steal Magic Bounce. Heart Swap, however, is even more excellent at forcing switches and keeping constant Draco Meteor chains. Overall, this is a very innovative and interesting set that I've found to be a tad gimmicky, but always worth it in the end!

queen (Latias) (F) @ Latiasite

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor

- Roost

- Wonder Room

- Skill Swap
/ Heart Swap

This is a Latias set I've been experimenting a ton with. I was looking for moves it could learn with and I was beginning to see just how insanely wide their movepools are. One move in particular caught my eye: Wonder Room. While Wonder Room is in effect, all Pokemon on the field have their Defense and Special Defense inverted. What does this mean, exactly? Well, it means Latias 2HKOes Chansey, dents Heatran, 2HKOes Meloetta, dents Ferrothorn, smacks Empoleon, and hits a large majority of special walls for very hard damage now. It's quite a shock to switch in your Chansey, only to be eaten alive by a Draco Meteor! You know what else? Mega Latias now has a base Defense stat of 150! This means that Extreme Speed isn't a guaranteed 2HKO, Landorus-T's U-turn does a ton less, and that Mega Latias can switch between what it wants to counter. Due to Latias's insanely high Speed, it can literally control whatever it wants to wall. Roost keeps its health up throughout the match and is an excellent way to clean up late game when weakened. The final slot is totally unrelated to Wonder Room, but oh my gosh is it good! Skill Swap takes away every useful ability known to man like Huge Power Diggersby, Pixilate Mega Gardevoir, Flash Fire Heatran (but be careful because Levitate!), and even some defensive niches like Intimdate from Landorus-T, Prankster from Sableye, or even Thick Fat from a Mega Venusaur. The main purpose, however, is to smack through Mega Sableye, which has seen a large increase in usage. This allows it to smack Sableye with its vulnerable SpD and to steal Magic Bounce. Heart Swap, however, is even more excellent at forcing switches and keeping constant Draco Meteor chains. Overall, this is a very innovative and interesting set that I've found to be a tad gimmicky, but always worth it in the end!
:afrostar: Star not big enough.

Edit: Did not notice that it had only one Attacking move. I agree with TEG. I suggest Psycho Boost or Psystrike in place of Roost.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)