Creative Sets in Smogon Doubles (Updated for ORAS @ Post #83)

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Here comes the innovation. I've been messing around a bit with a few Pokemon recently and found that Specs Togekiss turned out to be surprisingly decent.

Togekiss (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Heat Wave/Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power Ice

The speed EVs are there to outrun Jolly Bisharp. Max SpA EVs for maximum power and the 80 Def was there to take Scarf Landorus Stone Edge and Non-CB Scizor Bullet Punch.
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Togekiss: 248-294 (79.7 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Togekiss: 268-320 (86.1 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Togekiss: 256-303 (82.3 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 306-360 (92.4 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Doubles Damage)
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 350-414 (81 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 448-528 (135.7 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 238-282 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 248-292 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It barely misses out on some OHKOs but with Helping Hand support (which is funny cause that's what Toge usually does lol) it'll be able to OHKO these threats.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I fixed Zygarde!

Zygarde @ Haban Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 112 HP / 56 Def / 208 SpA / 72 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Glare
- Protect

I was looking for a Pokemon that could do various nice things and realised Zygarde might not be as shit as we once thought. Here's a run down of what the set can do.

1. Helps vs Landorus-T, Glare renders it useless with ease and it's bulky enough to switch in on an EQ and Glare without being KOd
2. Switches in on and beats even Shuca Heatran (obviously it doesn't OHKO but heatran is doing nothing back)
3. Survives a Ludicolo Ice Beam and paralyses with Glare
4. Survives any Latios / Hydreigon Draco Meteor and OHKOs back, Kyurem-B still poos on you though because Ice Beam
5. Outspeeds and OHKOs Bisharp with Earth Power

Zygod in action.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No one's posted here in forever, so I'mma share one of my innovations:

Victini @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Skill Swap
- Protect

Outruns the 70s, very solid 2 move coverage, Skill Swap lolz are really awesome. It's amazing how many Pokes in dubs are hugely reliant on their abilities. Gogs fire mon is a good matchup vs sun, but unlike Gogs Tran, Tini also has the nice Bolt Strike coverage to hit Waters.

For whatever reason I have like zero replays saved with this team, but I can confirm that I have used Skill Swap to steal the following:
Parental Bond
Huge Power (Mawile only has Sucker hehe)
Chlorophyll (die Venusaur die!)
Shadow Tag (basically autowins vs davilaivancarlos's dumb ladder team)
Pixillate
Intimidate (usually swapping with a teammate, in my case Hitmontop)
Stance Change
Flash Fire (and then KOed Tran with V-Create, which is so satisfying lol)
Levitate
Regenerator

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
For whatever reason I have like zero replays saved with this team, but I can confirm that I have used Skill Swap to steal the following:
Stance Change
I'm pretty sure you can't Skill Swap Stance Change, correct me if I'm wrong and that's not just a sim bug though. It's always cool to see Victini get used, it's just such an awkward Pokemon to work with sometimes that it ends up being really team-specific. Fire/Psychic is such a situational defensive typing, and Landorus-T does so well against it :(

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure you can't Skill Swap Stance Change, correct me if I'm wrong and that's not just a sim bug though. It's always cool to see Victini get used, it's just such an awkward Pokemon to work with sometimes that it ends up being really team-specific. Fire/Psychic is such a situational defensive typing, and Landorus-T does so well against it :(
im p sure stance change can not get skill swapped

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well then, I'm either remembering wrong and I didn't try to swap it... or I actually did try to swap it and I just didn't notice it failed.
But yeah, I just confirmed with Ablast that PS has it right. You can't swap it away.

In any case, Skill Swap still can mess with a lot of pokes :]

As to Landorus-T, that's why I have it paired with a Hitmontop, one of the best stops to EQ and Rock Slide in the game, and, with Intimidate, Stone Edge isn't doing enough either.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fake Out
- Leaf Storm
- Tailwind
- Knock Off

An alternate Chlorophyll partner to Venusaur for Mega Zard Y. It's focused more on supporting Zard Y and the rest of the team with Fake Out and Tailwind instead of spamming sleep. Tailwind also lets you do something in the face of Sucker Punch after you've been brought down to 1 HP from your Sash.

Leaf Storm so you can do some decent damage. With Shiftry never surviving two hits and having support moves to use, the power is worth the SpA drop. Knock Off isn't affected by the SpA drop which is good because I rarely use it before Leaf Storm. Generally the Pokemon I use Knock Off against don't like having their item removed like Cress. Dark Pulse doesn't OHKO Mega Metagross anyways

Focus Sash as Shiftry is both frail and has many weaknesses. Sash + fraility means there's no point investing in defences. Max Special Attack cause Leaf Storm is your main STAB. 176 Speed to outrun Bisharp outside of sun, and you outspeed pretty much everything in sun. Rest goes in Attack for Knock Off (and Fake Out lol).

Only use on highly offensive sun teams.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gallade (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 116 HP / 148 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

After the short lived attempt to revive the next best thing changed to allow regular Gallade aswell as mega, I took a look at it and thought this set was fairly interesting. I had Pikov post this set in the thread for me because I had already posted a different set before I made this one and didn't want to submit 2 sets, but looking at them I think this one is more interesting.

148 attack is enough to OHKO 4HP Mega Kang, 56HP heatran and standard Ferrothorn with a Helping Hand boost. Obviously outspeeds all of these, but it also outspeeds 252 Spe Adamant Landorus-T and can surprise it with a burn. I used 252 Speed Adamant Lando as a benchmark for speed because I use this on the ladder and that's the one I seem to see the most for some reason. Speed can be changed to match whatever Lando you want but the attack is the bare minimum needed to KO the things mentioned above. Rest is in HP because, doesn't do anything I'm aware of. Its not really bulky so you could max the attack if you wanted to. Zen Headbutt is just sort of there. Don't use it much unless I've caught a Justified boost as +1 Zen OHKOs standard Amoonguss.

Choice Scarf not only allows you to outspeed everything below the Landorus-T speed I mentioned above, but this set is mainly for stopping Calm Mind Cress annoying me on the ladder. Trick just completely shuts Calm Mind Cress (and pretty much all Cress / support mons by extension) down and causes alot of issues on Pokemon that need to be able to select coverage to be effective.

Justified is mainly a filler ability but I didn't wana use Steadfast because I already have a Scarf and don't really want chip damage, however it does carry the advantage of switching into a Dark attack, and going ham with Close Combat if the time comes for it.

I've been using this set with Competitive Milotic as Intimidate messes up the chance of getting the OHKOs on the Pokemon I listed above, but Bisharp would Probably work too as it beats Ghosts and Fairies that trouble Gallade and can catch the Intimidates.

Just figured it was interesting that something that's not really used much had capability of beating / crippling 3 of the biggest threats in the meta.

Its still Gallade though.

148 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 354-416 (100.5 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

148 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 338-398 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

148 Atk Gallade Helping Hand Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Ferrothorn: 392-464 (111.3 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 148 Atk Gallade Helping Hand Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 560-662 (129.6 - 153.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol didn't think so.

Like I said at the end, its still Gallade, just something I found messing around for next best thing (RIP)

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Specially defensive Aegislash is more of a vgc thing, but yeah this a set I came up with based off of that general idea. It acts a lot like a lure for a ton of common threats, such as CharY, Heatran, Hydreigon, and bops them with a combination of Flash Cannon / Shadow Ball + Sneak. Aegislash also has a ton of natural power behind it, so there wasn't many instances where I lost guaranteed ohko's and 2hko's, though some 2hko rolls became guaranteed 3hko's. Also lets you bluff Wide Guard.

chrom (Aegislash) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpA / 240 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Basically the HP + SpD investment lets this thing survive a ton of shit it's not normally supposed to, for example a Modest CharY Heatwave in the Sun, an Earth Power from Mega Camerupt, a Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse etc. It also has a 1/5 chance to survive 2 Heatwaves from Modest Heatran, which is pretty stellar. The SpA is just enough to always ohko 44 HP Landorus-T at +2 with either special attack. At +2 a combination of Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon +Shadow Sneak always ko's CharY (standard + almost all bulky variants), Mega Camerupt, Hydreigon, standard SubTran, and also has a very high chance to 2hko max HP Tran. I've also ran faster versions of this set with a Mild nature, and it works well, Mild and 8 Spe EVs outruns min Spe Cresselia, and another version, Mild and 19 Spe IVs is 1 point faster than min Spe Heatran if you're worried about going after it inside Trick Room.

edit: now with rare video footage of it putting in work: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-228631642

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
On the opposite spectrum from shaian's, here's my own really, really suicidal set.

Nitrosword (Aegislash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Head Smash

The power in this set comes a ton from surprise factor. Scarf aegi is basically the best bisharp/zard y/talonflame/thundy lure in existence, and it keeps a ton of the same bulk as regular aegislash, so it's not immediately noticeable on switch ins. Extra attack investment really doesn't hit any relevant benchmarks, so it has enough attack to kill the bulkiest of thundys and gardes. Also, you can snipe heatrans and terrakions if they've been damaged. Even in games where the opponent has known about the scarf, this aegi has done a ton of work, acting kind of like a tflame that can actually switch in on things. The most hilarious part for me, though, is that people are actually forced to consider aegislash having a scarf as a possibility when playing me, whether I'm using it or not. It's a sad day when I can viably bluff scarf aegi in a meta where it's not used at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)