Project Core Analysis Workshop (Discussing Threats to and Partners for Garchomp + Landorus-T)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Previous thread hosted by bludz | Image drawn by Infernal

Pokémon teams rely on offensive and defensive synergy to function. Cores of Pokémon are units within teams that are built specifically to take advantage of these synergies between Pokémon. Many teams are built around such cores. The premise of this thread is to analyze cores by discussing threats to them and then potential partners. Hopefully this exercise helps you with your teambuilding process.

Although a few may be used, the cores posted here won't necessarily be taken from the Good Cores thread. However, looking through the Good Cores thread is recommended if you are looking for a core to build around.

Procedure

Cores with 2 Pokémon -

• I will post a core comprised of 2 Pokémon.
  • For 4-5 days after that post, posters will have the chance to post threats and/or partners to the core. For example, Talonflame is a threat to the core of Hoopa-Unbound + Mega Lopunny, and Rotom-W is a good partner with the core to help deal with this threat and other issues.
  • When the week is up, I will choose the top 3 partners to the core and put them in the OP. This is a subjective procedure. As such, other players will be consulted for opinions, unless they made nominations in the thread themselves. Please don’t be insulted if your nomination doesn’t make the OP. There will be many other opportunities, and a hall of fame will be created to reward users who consistently contribute good nominations.
Cores with 3 Pokémon -

• I will post a core consisting of 3 Pokémon.
  • For half the week, posters will have a chance to post threats to the given core.
  • After the time period is up, I will choose the top threats to the core and add them to the OP. We won't discuss partners for cores with 3 Pokémon.
Rules

• Please follow up your reservations in a timely fashion, ideally within 24 hours. If you don't finish your reservation in a timely manner, I will allow someone else to take the Pokémon you reserved. Please do not make a habit out of not following up on your reservations.
  • Please post only Pokémon that are viable in OU. This means they should be listed on the viability rankings thread. NOTE: With rules like this one, I prefer exercising leniency rather than enforcing it strictly. I don't want to discourage contributions, so if someone would like to mention a Pokemon that's threatening to the core and unlisted in the Viability Rankings, that's fine as long as they provide a genuine explanation behind their choice. Of course, the majority of threats and partners posted here should still be ones viable in OU and listed on the Viability Rankings. However, there's no harm in having some unranked Pokemon posted every now and then to shake things up a little.
  • Each poster may only nominate one partner to a core. I would prefer you only post one threat as well but if many threats have been posted since your first post I may allow you to mention a second threat. If you see activity is down and you have more threats and/or partners in mind, feel free to mention them.
  • When posting, please mention whether the Pokémon you are mentioning is a threat or partner. This helps a lot with keeping the thread organized.
  • When posting either a threat or a partner, explain yourself. Calculations aren't necessary, but please list more reasons than something simple like type synergy. Be descriptive so other posters and I can fully understand the reasoning behind your nomination. Furthermore, please list a full set of the Pokémon including its item, full moveset, EV spread, and nature.
  • When nominating partners, please post one moveset and EV spread. I'd prefer you didn't use slashes much just because this should be treated as a teambuilding exercise. This can't be avoided every time, so I will exercise some leniency with this rule!
  • Please be respectful to others!
Clarifications Regarding Threats & Partners

• A threat to the core must check or counter at least one member and cannot be countered by the other. A threat does not necessarily need to be able to switch into both members of the core, but it should be difficult/annoying to switch into for the members of the core. Of course, the biggest threats counter both members.
  • When nominating partners, you are allowed to make suggested changes to the current sets of the members of the core.
Core Archive -
cores from previous thread are located separately in here
Mew + Mega Diancie

Threats | Partners
Top Partners:

Keldeo | Tornadus-T | Dragonite

Nidoking + Rotom-W

Threats | Partners
Top Partner:
Hoopa-U

Hydreigon + Jirachi

Threats
| Partners
Top Partners:
Landorus-T |
Mega Manectric

Alakazam + Keldeo

Threats | Partners
Top Partners:

Rotom-W |
Mega Scizor

Suicune + Mega Latias + Heatran

Threats
Raikou | Latios | Hoopa-Unbound | Kyurem-Black | Serperior | Manaphy

Hoopa-Unbound + Mega Lopunny

Threats | Partners
Top Partners:
Rotom-W | Landorus-T | Garchomp | Klefki

Terrakion + Mega Scizor

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Rotom-W | Azumarill | Clefable

Zygarde + Mega Gardevoir

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Keldeo | Magneton | Tornadus-T

Tangrowth + Slowking

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Heatran | Tyranitar |
Mega Aerodactyl

Tyranitar + Serperior

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Keldeo | Mega Slowbro | Mega Scizor

Crawdaunt + Mega Metagross

Threats and Partners
Top Partner:
Thundurus-I

Togekiss + Gastrodon

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Mega Scizor |
Heatran | Tyranitar

Volcanion + Clefable

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:

Tyranitar | Landorus-T | Thundurus-I

Jellicent + Ferrothorn

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Tyranitar | Clefable | Tornadus-T

Goodra + Manaphy

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Mega Scizor | Heatran | Bisharp

Mega Medicham + Gliscor

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:

Tornadus-T | Rotom-W | Jirachi

Mega Heracross + Raikou

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Jirachi | Landorus-T | Tornadus-T

Mega Aerodactyl + Keldeo

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Latios | Magnezone

Garchomp + Reuniclus

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Keldeo | Mega Scizor | Skarmory

Diggersby + Latias + Azumarill

Threats

Serperior | Mega Sceptile | Mega Metagross | Kyurem-Black | Thundurus-I

Bisharp + Weavile

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Keldeo | Latias or Mega Latias

Mega Sableye + Dugtrio

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Talonflame | Ferrothorn | Togekiss | Shedinja

Gyarados + Heatran

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Latios | Latias

Mega Pinsir + Magnezone

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Landorus-T | Latias | Rotom-W

Tornadus-T + Mega Manectric

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Azumarill | Breloom | Scizor

Charizard-X + Starmie

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Serperior | Jirachi

Thundurus-I + Breloom

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Mega Metagross | Mega Scizor | Landorus-T

Mega Gyarados + Latios

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Breloom | Jirachi | Heatran

Mega Houndoom + Azumarill

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Latias | Tangrowth

Slowbro + Gliscor

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Tyranitar | Mega Venusaur | Heatran

Gengar + Mega Scizor

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Rotom-W | Keldeo

Landorus-T + Volcanion

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Clefable | Ferrothorn | Weavile

Kyurem + Rotom-W

Threats and Partners

Top Partners:
Mega Scizor | Jirachi

Zapdos + Suicune

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Dugtrio | Ferrothorn | Latias

Alomomola + Amoonguss

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Heatran | Tyranitar | Tornadus-T

Clefable + Mega Lopunny

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Manaphy | Rotom-W | Gengar

Thundurus-I + Excadrill

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Mega Heracross

Mamoswine + Mega Manectric

Threats and Partners
Top Partners
:
Breloom | Latios

Kyurem-B + Mega Diancie

Threats and Partners
Top Partners:
Heatran | Talonflame

Hall of Fame

Core Currently Being Discussed

Threats and Partners

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Archive of Cores from Previous Thread
Mega Metagross + Keldeo

Top 3 Partners:

Tyranitar |
Tangrowth |
Raikou

Mega Diancie + Volcarona

Top 3 Partners:

Keldeo |
Azumarill |
Celebi

Mega Venusaur + Heatran

Top 3 Partners:

Tornadus-T |
Raikou |
Slowbro

Mega Lopunny + Gengar

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:

Hippowdon | Klefki | Manaphy

Mega Charizard X + Serperior

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:

Starmie |
Empoleon | Mamoswine

Garchomp + Skarmory

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Clefable | Mega Altaria | Mega Venusaur

Mega Altaria + Manaphy

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Heatran | Alakazam | Klefki

Mega Alakazam + Scizor

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Azumarill | Gyarados | Tyranitar

Mega Gyarados + Toxicroak

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Magneton | Jirachi | Mamoswine

Mega Manectric + Weavile

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Gengar | Klefki | Azumarill

Slurpuff + Hawlucha

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Heatran | Mega Manectric | Magneton

Hippowdon + Ferrothorn + Starmie

Threats
Top Threats:

Serperior | Mew | Reuniclus | Manaphy
Mega Sableye | Mega Latias | Mega Venusaur | Charizard-Y

Mega Scizor + Manaphy + Hippowdon

Threats
Top Threats:
Mega Charizard X | Serperior | Mega Venusaur | Keldeo
Manaphy | Breloom | Mega Garchomp | Suicune

Excadrill + Tyranitar

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:

Latias | Celebi | Serperior

Clefable + Gliscor

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Mega Manectric | Mega Venusaur | Slowbro

Kyurem-Black + Victini

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Starmie | Mega Lopunny | Landorus-T

Talonflame + Gastrodon

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Ferrothorn | Mega Venusaur | Mega Sableye

Gengar + Clefable

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Garchomp | Heatran | Hippowdon

Thundurus + Mega Heracross

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Heatran | Excadrill | Tentacruel

Bisharp + Mega Lopunny

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:
Azumarill | Gengar | Latios

Landorus-T + Raikou

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Charizard-X | Mega Venusaur |
Serperior

Mega Sableye + Slowbro + Heatran

Threats
Top Threats:
Mega Gyarados | Manaphy | Mega Altaria

Talonflame + Starmie + Ferrothorn

Threats
Top Threats:
Mega Manectric | Charizard-X | Manaphy | Thundurus

Tornadus-T + Tangrowth

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:

Rotom-W |
Mega Manectric | Mega Slowbro

Politoed + Kingdra

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Ferrothorn | Mega Scizor | Tornadus-T

Mega Medicham + Sylveon

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Landorus-T | Raikou | Weavile

Latios + Heatran

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:

Mega Venusaur |
Clefable | Mega Scizor

Mega Gardevoir + Talonflame

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Keldeo |
Landorus-T | Terrakion

Tyranitar + Manaphy

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Mega Venusaur | Tornadus-T | Mega Medicham

Thundurus-I + Hoopa-Unbound

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Keldeo | Garchomp | Breloom

Mega Charizard-Y + AV Metagross

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Keldeo | Landorus-T | Terrakion

Tyranitar + Skarmory

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Mega Medicham | Keldeo | Charizard-Y

Breloom + Talonflame

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Rotom-W | Azumarill | Garchomp

Mega Beedrill + Magnezone

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:

Landorus-T | Latios | Azumarill

Mega Tyranitar + Amoonguss

Threats | Partners
Top Partner:
Talonflame

Latios + Lucario

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:
Mega Manectric | Mega Houndoom | Manaphy

Mega Manectric + Crawdaunt

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Latios | Landorus-T | Tornadus-T

Weavile + Serperior

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:
Rotom-W | Slowbro | Garchomp

Dragonite + Mega Scizor

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Azumarill | Latias | Starmie

Mega Sceptile + Azumarill

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Tornadus-T | Heatran | Talonflame

Skarmory + Chansey

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:

Mega Sableye | Tyranitar | Slowbro

Mega Diancie + Breloom

Threats | Partners
Talonflame | Tornadus-T | Jirachi

Mega Venusaur + Tyranitar + Skarmory

Threats
Top Threats:
Mega Sableye | Tornadus-T | Mega Alakazam

Mega Latias + Infernape + Hippowdon

Threats
Top Threats:
Clefable | Mega Sableye |
Latios

Mega Pidgeot + Dugtrio

Threats | Partners
Top 3 Partners:
Latios | Clefable | Celebi

Mega Sharpedo + Garchomp

Threats | Partners

Top 3 Partners:

Gengar | Jirachi | Thundurus
Updates to Previous Thread
Welcome back to the Core Analysis Workshop, previously hosted by bludz. These are the thing I did to revamp the thread:
  • Drew a new piece of artwork for the thread.
  • Updated all of the "Top 3 Partners" for the cores featured in the previous thread, starting from Bisharp + Mega Lopunny. This will always be a subjective process, but I tried to pick the partners I felt best supported the core and covered its biggest weaknesses. For the weeks I participated in myself, I consulted others to pick the top 3 partners to avoid any bias on my end.
  • A Hall of Fame was added, and the cutoff is currently 5 winning entries.
The rules of the thread are the same and can be read in the OP.
Week 1 Core

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Protect

With Mew being one of this thread's mascots and there being no previous cores featuring it, what better way to begin than with a core starring the little guy? We all know how annoying stall breaker Mew can be, possessing superb bulk and performing well against a variety of playstyles. Mew is a rather self sufficient Pokemon and mainly dislikes coming across certain threats, such as Talonflame, both Charizard formes, and Mega Sableye. This is where Mega Diancie comes in, doing well against all of those Pokemon while being one of the scariest offensive threats in the current metagame. Mew helps Mega Diancie by taking advantage of several Pokemon it has a hard time breaking, such as Clefable, Mega Venusaur, Chansey, and several other defensive Pokemon. Although they form a nice duo, there are still various threats both must be wary of, and it's up to you all to find and mention them.

You may now begin discussing threats to this core. This period will last for 3 days. Have fun, I look forward to everyone's contributions!

Last edited:

Temper Temper (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Offensive Mega Scizor is a really cool set right now that's able to beat a good portion of the meta, and probably Scizor's best set, and it doesn't have too many issues tearing apart this core. While it has issues directly switching into anything thanks to Diancie's Hidden Power Fire and Mew's Will-O-Wisp, once it gets a safe switch in, it is able to OHKO both members of the core. (Mew needs a very small amount of damage to be directly OHKOed by Bug Bite, but thanks to running a Jolly nature, Scizor is able to outspeed it. Bullet Punch easily OHKOs Diancie, and the speed difference that they have doesn't matter thanks to it being priority.)

252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 326-386 (80.6 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 408-480 (169.2 - 199.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Fang

Sharpedo is able to beat both members of the core after mega evolving, if there is no luck involved with Hydro Pump.However it cannot switch in vs either member.

224+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mew: 446-528 (110.6 - 131%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 246-290 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt

Heatran can tank any hit from diancie since it lacks epower and ohkos with flash cannon while mew can't do shit to this and tran can easily beat it 1v1 with fire blast/taunt.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Volcarona can set up on Mew pretty easily, taking realively little damage from Knock Off and since it outspeeds it, it can't even be taunted before it manages to set up. Obviosuly, it loses 1v1 to Diancie, but after one turn of setup, it cleanly OHKOes it with Giga Drain.

0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 99-117 (30 - 35.5%) -- 29.1% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 152+ SpD Mew: 356-420 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 260-306 (107.8 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 16 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail/Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Protect/Substitute

Scolipede threatens Mew with its STAB, dealing massive damage even if it gets its LO knocked off switching in, though it prefers to hold onto that unless Mew has hazards or prior damage of course. If it's a Sub set, Scolipede can use that for a buffer against Mew's burns, who fails to break the Sub if it already knocked his item off, or just go straight for the kill if he retained his item or Mew simply had enough wear on it. That said, exploiting a free turn against Mew puts it in a better position against Diancie.

As for Diancie, Scolipede is a check at best, but still dangerous to deal with. If Scolipede gets in against non-Mega Diancie, a free switch, or a Voltturn, he gets a Speed Boost thanks to either his own or Diancie's Protect turn, though Jolly outspeeds regardless with this spread since Diancie has 30 Speed for HP Fire. Against the Mega, Earthquake is a chance to OHKO with the Life Orb, and Poison Jab is a clean 2HKO. Diamond Storm is an easy OHKO, but without Hazards Scolipede can survive HP Fire and barely takes ~49% from Moonblast, meaning he can at least get a good hit or take Diancie out before going down. Mention again to the Substitute option, as he can set it up on Diancie's Protect turn to dodge its next move and ensure he wins the match up, forcing Diancie out.

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 239-283 (99.1 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Scolipede Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 221-260 (91.7 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Scolipede Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 170-200 (70.5 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 133-156 (55.1 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 16 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 366-432 (138.1 - 163%) -- guaranteed OHKO
224 SpA Mega Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 204-242 (76.9 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 468-554 (115.8 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 424-502 (104.9 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Scolipede Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 326-386 (80.6 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Mew Knock Off vs. 16 HP / 4 Def Scolipede: 51-61 (19.2 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

Even though M-Gyarados can't hard-switch into both members of the core in fear of getting burned by Mew's Will-O-Wisp or KOed by M-Diancie's Moonblast, it can threaten the core by Taunting Mew before setting up a Dragon Dance and OHKOing the core by itself. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed Mew before Dragon Dance.
0 Atk Mew Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 22-26 (6.6 - 7.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever (lol)
224 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 284-336 (85.8 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (87.5% chance to OHKO after SR)

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 300-354 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 276-326 (114.5 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Fun fact: Like previously mentioned, M-Gyarados can't switch into Mew nor M-Diancie, but neither can they into it! So there's that.

Last edited:
non HP Fire Diancie

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

232 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 234-276 (97 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

An opposite Mega Diancie without HP Fire (=with 350 Spe with 31 IVs) outspeed her "sister" with HP Fire (30 IVs in Spe) and has some good chance to OHKO. Prior damage ensures this kill.

Diance can enter well on every single move of that Mew thanks to Rock/Fairy typing + Magic Bounce and kill it in return comfortably. The best Mew can do is trying to PP stall with Softboiled but 16 PP are not enough to stall Moonblast+Earth Power+Diamond Storm and Protect is still there to save some Diancie's PP.

0 Atk Mew Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 22-26 (9.1 - 10.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
whereas 32 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 166-196 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery ===> you use Mew as a set-up fodder.

Last edited:
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Mega Beedrill outspeeds Mew and can OHKO it with U-Turn ( 75 % chance after Rocks ). It also outpaces Mega Diancie and can wear it down with U-Turn and has a small chance to OHKO after Rocks.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Thanks for all of the threat submissions so far, everyone. There is roughly one day left before the discussion on partners begins. If anyone can come up with a few more threats to this core before then, that'd be greatly appreciated. There are a few other noteworthy threats that haven't been mentioned yet, and I am interested to see if people can figure them out!

Last edited:

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Iron Tail
- U-turn
- Taunt

Tornadus-T with iron tail and taunt wrecks this core. Iron tail lures, outspeeds and obviously OHKOs M-Diancie. Taunt shuts down Mew completely, preventing it from recovering or doing anything else while wearing it down with U-Turn or hurricane. U-turn also gains momentum on the obvious switch after taunting the Mew as well as providing regenerator healing for extra longevity for continued trolling of the core.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Charizard-X fears nothing from Mew and can set-up and destroy the core with +1 Flare Blitz and Earthquake.

Reserving Iron Tail Weavile

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Iron Tail

Knock has a chance to OHKO before rocks and is guaranteed after rocks. Meanwhile, Mega Diancie can take one Icicle Crash bar a flinch and KO with Moonblast/Diamond Storm. However, if Weavile runs Iron Tail it can clean OHKO Diancie and deal with Mew as well.

Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 393-463 (97.2 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 499-588 (207 - 243.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Once again, thanks for all of the submissions! You all did a nice job finding the threats this core is weak to, and I am glad to see such a good turn out.

The majority of threats mentioned can be divided into two categories: those able to destroy the core through sheer power and coverage, like Iron Tail Weavile, and those able to take advantage of Mew's presence to power up and dismantle the core afterwards, like Volcarona. Keep this in mind when nominating partners, which you can now begin discussing. This period will last four days, after which I will pick the top 3 partners and post a new core. Have fun, looking forward to seeing the partners mentioned.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice]

Offensive Heatran does a good job of handling the Fire-, Grass- and Steel-types that threaten this core. Furthermore, Air Balloon gives it a useful pseudo Ground immunity, while Toxic helps it cripple Water-types that are also quite threatening to the core.

Last edited:
Smogon Bird

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Talonflame is a nice partner for this core because it manages to check troublesome Pokemon on this core such as Mega Scizor, Volcarona and Serperior while also revenge killing boosted sweepers. Plus, it allows you to make use of the Mega Diancie+Talonflame core where Talonflame takes care of the Steel-types that Talonflame hates while Mega Diancie wears down Rotom-W, Lando-T, Gyarados and Slowbro. It can also use HP Ice over HP Fire to lure Gliscor although Earth Power is nice to hit Heatran.

Last edited:

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

tornadus is like the best partner for this core, checking keld, providing a ground immunity, and taking on offensive teams while mew+diancie handle fatter teams and overwhelm/weaken typical torn checks like skarmory klefki yadayada. pair it with a bisharp switch and a water resist (aka somethin like cune or rotom) and youre gold. heat wave can be cute tho for luring sciz for diancie if hitting ttar isnt a priority

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn provides Mew + M-Diancie with a consistent stealth rocker, a resistance to many common types such as Water, Electric, Grass and Steel, and an excellent utility mon that can beat M-Gyara, M-Beedrill, Weavile, M-Sharpedo as well as variants of Serperior and M-Diancie that don't have hp fire. Ferrothorn can also threaten bulky waters with leech seed and power whip, but will have to watch out for scald burns. Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs will cause significant damage to any pokemon using contact moves, particularly when moves such as Knock Off or Bullet Punch are targeted at Mew or Diancie respectively. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple any potential switch ins and other threats to the core such as M-Charizard-X/Y, Volcarona and Heatran. Leftovers can also be used if you want more passive recovery.

Last edited:

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Keldeo gives this core a nice way to revenge the mons like zard x and volc that wanna set up on mew assuming they have a bit of prior damage and it also beats out mons that outspeed it like weavile and mega diancie. It also checks mega scizor, doing a big chunk with hydro. HP Electric hits gyara that thinks it can set up non mega evolved to break the core. Since the core is so threatened by setup mons, having a strong revenge killer like scarf keld is only logical.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DD Dragonite

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Assessing the threat list I believe some of the bigger threats to be Mega Scizor, Manaphy, Serperior, Volcarona and Scolipede.

When Stealth Rock is not on your side of the field (maybe in part due to Diancie's Magic Bounce), Dragonite can act as an effective check to many of these Pokemon. Dragonite immediately provides a strong answer to Volcarona, Scolipede, Mega Sharpedo and other speedy mons like Mega Alakazam. It's not the greatest check to Manaphy but it can whittle it into Moonblast range from Diancie. With Fire Punch, it can 1v1 Serp from full and can deal with Mega Scizor.

Outside of the threat list it also synergizes well with this core by providing a setup sweeper and failsafe in priority + multiscale. Mew can handle certain threats to it such as Kyurem-Black and Clefable (as well as most physical walls) while Diancie checks Togekiss, helps keep SR off and threatens most physically defensive mons.

If Dragonite is added, I would recommend changing Diancie to Earth Power to better deal with Heatran and other Mega Diancies as well as base 110s in general.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Time to wrap this up, thanks for the contributions everyone. Everyone did a nice job finding threats and partners to this core. After consulting a few people, below are the top 3 partners for the week:
Keldeo by cfdba - As explained by cfdba, this core is primarily threatened by various threats capable of setting up and dismantling the core afterwards. Having something to help with this is priority #1. Many of the threats that were mentioned to this core are revenge killed by Keldeo, and the pony's ability to do this makes it a great partner.

Tornadus-T by astroboy - Serperior is one of the top 3 threats to this core, and Torn-T covers this issue perfectly. While several other Pokemon are also able to handle Serperior, what sets Torn-T apart from other options is its ability to help this core check threats like Keldeo while providing a ground immunity. Torn-T keeps momentum up with U-turn to bring the other two members in, and is nice to handle the special threats this core has no business switching into, like Gengar. Fitting in something like Latios or Starmie alongside this core can be awkward, and Torn-T's ability to check these threats without Defog or Spin support is a bonus.

Dragonite by bludz - Dragonite is an interesting choice for a partner, and provides a useful set of resistances and ground immunity to help this core keep several threats in check. It synergizes very well with the other two members, and sets itself apart from other partners by providing further offensive power with DD and a very useful form of priority.
Congratulations to the winners, the OP has been updated. There will be plenty more cores and I hope to see continued contributions. Here is the new core for this week, to which you may now begin discussing threats. This will go on for 3 days, after which we will discuss partners.

Nidoking
@ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Neither of these two have been featured in a core yet, so they will be our focus for this week! Nidoking is a fun Pokemon to use in OU, possessing a good deal of wallbreaking power and coverage to threaten a wide range of Pokemon. Nidoking gives itself a good niche by dealing with Clefable nicely and pressuring the builds the fairy is frequently used in. Nidoking can sometimes struggle finding the chance to enter the field safely, and Rotom-W is here to help with that by providing free switch in opportunities via Volt Switch. Clefable happens to be one of Rotom-W more common switch ins, and Nidoking exploits this well.

Rotom-W further helps Nidoking by covering its ground and water weakness to deal with the likes of Excadrill and Azumarill. When running Thunder Wave instead of Will-O-Wisp, it's able to slow down several things Nidoking appreciates seeing paralyzed, such as Latios. This helps make up for Nidoking's lackluster speed and reduces the amount of Pokemon capable of threatening this core as easily.

Last edited:

Albacore

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Easily comes in on Rotom and threatens to OHKO it if it's even slightly weakened, only really disliking burns. Switches into anything but Ice Beam from Nidoking (heck, it even lives that) and OHKOes back with Psyshock. Literally any Latios set destroys this core, Calm Mind does better than most though, since it has reliable recovery and can take advantage of Rotom without worrying about Pain Split shenanigans.

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 57-67 (19 - 22.4%) -- 1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
(lol)
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 259-305 (85.4 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 229-270 (76.5 - 90.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 183-216 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 421-499 (138.9 - 164.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

While Mega Alakazam doesn't like switching directly into Nidoking or Rotom-W's Hydro Pump (anything else is fine), it's free to set up a Calm Mind on Rotom-W after it gets a free switch in from something like Landorus-T's U-turn. From there, it is able to OHKO Rotom-W after a very small amount of damage at +1. Even when not Mega-Evolved or when it doesn't have a boost, it easily outspeeds and OHKOs Nidoking, so that poses little threat unless Alakazam switches directly in.

+1 252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 258-304 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoking: 464-548 (153.1 - 180.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 87-103 (34.6 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

the blob
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

you know what it does, sludge wave does like 19 max and rotom gets toxic'd. This core cannot break Chansey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)