Cong Moderator Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A newer poster said that they wished they knew a little about the moderators of the forum in our feedback thread, and we feel that, given the nature of Cong as a forum, it's probably a good idea for people to know who we are as people at least to some extent. As such, we've decided to set up this thread.

Here we will talk about our interests, personalities, and anything else we think might be interesting about ourselves.

Follow this format or ur a baby:
Best known for: Ideally something moderately humorous

A paragraph or three about yourself. Feel free to write as much or as little as you like.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Best known for: Changing my username from gamer boy and posting WAY too much (almost exclusively in tl;dr posts).

Hello, I’m Martin. I am an Brit (genetically 9/16 English, 3/8 Irish and 1/16 Welsh based on my parents and grandparents) who was given a ladybug for the OU forum in generation 6. I have been given low-severity diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome and have been cited to have a very high attention to detail. I have a very stereotypical posh British accent, and my main interests consist of listening to music, chatting on Discord, playing Pokemon (mostly just casually nowadays) and more occasionally other video games, watching TV and movies, reading and talking about media. I’ve been called a Japanophile by both of my parents due to my large interest in and liking for Japanese culture, language, history, food and media, but I also like to retain a large connection to my own family’s culture (I love my Irish heritage, which comes across in my tastes) and intend to learn how to speak Gaelic at some point in the future. I have a twin sister who is pretty much the stark opposite of me. My top four TV shows as I’m writing this are Shinsekai Yori, Death in Paradise*, No Offence and Scrubs (in that order), and my favorite movie is The Grand Budapest Hotel. I’m always trying to build up a varied skillset (at the time of writing this, I am learning to draw and code while also learning how to speak Japanese).

*The writing in this is awful (as is a lot of the acting), but it’s the perfect late-evening show imo and I enjoy watching it a lot.

I like most music that I listen to (I exaggerate how much I dislike most of the stuff I say I don’t like a lot of the time), but I honestly can’t stand trap music. I don’t really keep up with new releases and the charts or anything like that and generally prefer listening old and/or foreign music. If I had were to identify myself with one genre of music it’d be jazz, and my three favorite instruments are the French horn, trombone, and accordion (the first of which I play in a concert band, wind orchestra and regular orchestra while also playing the tenor horn in a brass band). The prettiest language for singing in is Gaelic in my opinion, although I also have a soft spot for French, Japanese and Russian music when it’s done well. Also Vocaloid can sound extremely good when put into the hands of a good producer such as wowaka, Hachi, Hitoshizuku × Yama△ or Kikuo.

My main forum presences at this point are in Cong and Firebot, but I still post occasionally in OU and enjoy dabbling in C&C and Flying Press every now and again while also posting in Orange Islands very rarely. I try my best to get on with everyone I come across on the site, and I only really think I have only really consistently not got on with one person in my time here. Politics generally depresses me more than it interests me, so I mostly stick to threads which aren’t about the current political climate or anything else that’s down that rabbit hole, and my vision for Cong is one where people feel welcome to talk about whatever they want without fear of being trolled, flamed, condescended, or whatever else. I also want to dispell the image that it seems to have accrued up until now of being the “cancerous political forum” to outsiders before the time I resign, and I want the forum to become a melting pot of users from all over the website like it apparently used to be.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Best known for: Having absolutely no involvement in the terrorist attacks that occurred on September, 11, 2001, resulting in the unprecedented collapse of three skyscrapers in downtown New York City

Hi guys! I am GatoDelFuego. I started "competitive" Pokemon back in 2010, as part of the old battling clans that used to exist on the PurpleSurge IRC client back in the DPP era. The reason I say competitive in quotes is because I was complete trash, and have never really progressed in battling skill since I joined smogon. Soon after that, however, I started to take interest in the grammar/prose team in C&C, which is where most people on smogon know me from.

As for my interest in the social forums on smogon, I stick mostly to cong's political threads. I'm a critical person, so I like discussing and debating things with my online friends and others. Besides that, I also enjoy the movies & video games discussion threads. I am about to finish my MS degree in aerospace engineering at the university of Alabama--aviation is a real passion of mine, which is why I want to work in the aerospace industry. Outside of boring math and science, I play a lot of video games, follow competitive CS:GO pretty closely, have been involved in acting and orchestra (bass), and aspire to become a semi-good pinball player.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Best known for:

I'm vonFiedler. I came onto Smogon to make and play games of mafia, which I don't do much anymore, because people have caught onto the fact that they can't tell whether I'm lying or not. Then I founded Smogon's tabletop gaming community at #flamel. You can ask about Flamel in the social discord and someone can link you if you're interested. After becoming Circus's first Community Contributor, I started hosting Smogon Tours.

I became a mod because there was a guy who told me I'd rue the day he became a mod, so when he made a thread asking to be made one, I hail maried and argued I'd be better at it. Then I got it. I was the only mod for a long damn time, including most of the 2016 election, which was great.

When I was a boy I told a romantic rival that I wasn't afraid of him, because I was a god in human form. This might sound insane, but then he bought me a $60 video game on my birthday to appease me. And I never returned the favor.

I've seen every movie on IMDB's top 250 (and posted about each in GL) and am working on the AFI lists atm. I'd like to become a TD some day but I've been so busy this year.

I'm not a man of many words.

Last edited:
Best Known For:
Winning Smogon's The Genius in my first Circus Maximus showing and being a bigger math geek than even your average Smogoner.

Hey, I'm Blazade. I used to enjoy competitive pokemon around gens 3-5, but these days when I'm on Smogon it's for Circus Maximus games, keeping up with Doubles and VGC, or other Social Forums discussion. I'm a pure mathematician with a background in physics, philosophy, and science fiction. My other interests include speedrunning, card games, anime and movies, reading and writing, and going for a nice bike ride.

I tend to be pretty level headed and I'm always interested in hearing what you're passionate about and learning new things. I also tend to over explain myself sometimes, it's in my nature. Hit me up anywhere if you want to chat, I don't bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)