Complete and Comprehensive Battle Spot Statistics // Never Use The PGL Again!

For the love of Talos this is going make Battle Spot much more interesting. I'll pour over Doubles later; computer died on Friday so I have a lot of recovery to do + work + class.

A thing that I noticed is that some of the stats ("Opponents that Defeated this Pokemon" and "Opponents that this Pokemon Defeated" in particular) display the same Pokemon name twice. This is because sometimes, the usage will display a Mega Pokemon and a non-Mega Pokemon. A good example is Gengar, who shows up twice on Diggersby's "Opponents that Defeated this Pokemon" stat. Is there a way to check which Pokemon defeated that Pokemon: Mega or non-Mega?

jesus christ i can't word this question worth shit

I get what you're saying. The answer is yes, it's possible, for those stats I not only get the name of the opponent (which I thought would be good enough) but also the ID of the Pokémon. For example 94 for Gengar and 94-1 for Mega Gengar. Good catch, I wouldn't have noticed this myself.

Edit; Fixed this, and applied the same fix to different forms (e.g. Landorus and Rotom.)

Last edited:
I just started thinking with these extensive stats you could start playing like a BSS UU as a casual format on PS. Im not sure if hetoord is able to find the percentage of a pokemon used but even if thats not available you could just set a cutoff line somewhere around 50 or something with whoever you're playing with. Could be pretty fun.

I've added the usage percentages. I've made it as clear as possible that they're rough estimations. Of course there's no way to get the actual usage stats for Pokémon, so these estimations are the best I can do with the data that I do have. I think they're pretty close (otherwise I wouldn't put them on the site), but take them with a grain of salt.

For now I've only done them for season 14, I'll do them for the other seasons soon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like 'BSUU' is everything below (not including) Swampert! That's 43 Pokemon that we can deem 'BSOU' (above 3.41% usage)

Looks like 'BSUU' is everything below (not including) Swampert! That's 43 Pokemon that we can deem 'BSOU' (above 3.41% usage)
Why some random ass number like 3.41%.
Why not have it along the lines of an even "top 40".
Or, top 39, just to make Nikola Tesla happy.

Still gotta get a damn day off to mess with Doubles stats. Maybe Tuesday.
Entei is #75 in BSD despite high viability. lol.

Why some random ass number like 3.41%.
Why not have it along the lines of an even "top 40".
Or, top 39, just to make Nikola Tesla happy.

Still gotta get a damn day off to mess with Doubles stats. Maybe Tuesday.
Entei is #75 in BSD despite high viability. lol.
It's not random. It's the percentage they use for the cutoff for standard OU. I forget exactly why its used but its something like the percentage of seeing a mon in at least 1 in every 20 games statistically speaking.

I really like how you can enter terms for moves and abilities in the search bar and they also get filtered. Would it be possible for them to become bolded/highlighted on the right-hand panel when searched for? When there's up to 20 different results for each section it can sometimes take me longer than I'd like to spot what I was looking for.

I don't know if any of you have played BSUU but it looks like Swampert is now legal (in other words I've updated the stats and the usage percentages seem to have changed slightly).

I'll try to add Carbonific's suggestion above as soon as possible, I haven't had the time to do so, though. I've also still have to add the data for the various battle competitions, I'll try to add those some time later this week!

I've added the data for the competitions. There's so many of them, I suddenly dislike all of them (after having typed all of their names and IDs) Select "Competitions" in the game selection and you'll be able to choose a specific competition from there.

I've also tweaked the search function a tiny bit. It now also finds moves the Pokémon has scored a KO with, and I've added the highlighting as requested. I've also fixed an issue where searching would throw off the light/dark pattern of the ranking list, which annoyed me slightly. Pressing enter while searching shouldn't refresh the page anymore and neither should pressing the clear search button.

Wow, this looks really cool. I'm sure it will help me since I decided to start again playing BSS (if i'm not late, maybe is it me but it seems bss is losing players. I hope I'm wrong)

What about to insert some sprites? For the teammates for example, I think it will greater with some mini sprites next to the name of the pokémon, or it will become heavy?

Wow, this looks really cool. I'm sure it will help me since I decided to start again playing BSS (if i'm not late, maybe is it me but it seems bss is losing players. I hope I'm wrong)

What about to insert some sprites? For the teammates for example, I think it will greater with some mini sprites next to the name of the pokémon, or it will become heavy?
It'd probably get heavy, and slow it down calling sprites + your computer loading it. Hetoord knows a lot more than I do about outdated Python than I do and that's where most of this is running so :P

And god I still have to pour over a lot of this for doubles. work and school and shit man

Adding mini sprites to the tables wouldn't affect much, so I'm in favor of adding those. In fact I've just added them, because I do think visual clues like that helps a lot when quickly scanning a table for information. I'm not a fan of adding larger sprites to the pages, though, mostly because I think they won't fit with the rest of the design.

This would also be a good time to say that I've updated the stats once again. :)

Adding mini sprites to the tables wouldn't affect much, so I'm in favor of adding those. In fact I've just added them, because I do think visual clues like that helps a lot when quickly scanning a table for information. I'm not a fan of adding larger sprites to the pages, though, mostly because I think they won't fit with the rest of the design.

This would also be a good time to say that I've updated the stats once again. :)
Remember when you added the distinction between Mega and non-Mega formes in the tables? Yeah, please do that for the sprites, because they're broken as of now.

I had renamed all image files locally and checked if they worked but totally forgot to upload them to the site. Thanks for pointing that out, what a stupid mistake on my part.

Is the raw data available for download somewhere? I saw some related posts on nugget bridge but from what I could tell it was specific to doubles. What I'm interested in exploring is if there's a way to use joint probabilities to find interesting teammates/cores. For example, is Gengar the most common teammate for Breloom because that core is a thing? Or just because Gengar is on most teams.

Not yet, but I see no reason why I shouldn't make that available. The data is just a bunch of json files (mind you json files with horrible property names because that's what the PGL uses). You can access individual files if you know my naming scheme. The files are in the data folder, and are alle named data-seasonNo-formatNo.txt, e.g. season 14 singles is http://BattleSpotStats.com/data/data-14-1.txt (0 = all, 1 = singles, 2 = doubled, 3 = triples, 4 = rotation, 5 = special and c = competition). I'll make a page where you can download them as text files.

For now I've added the Kanto Classic stats, which are now available. Starting with season 15 I want to track how the ranking individual Pokémon changes throughout the season and display that data in a graph of sorts. I'm still working on that though, but I have a week to figure out how exactly I want to do that.

Not yet, but I see no reason why I shouldn't make that available. The data is just a bunch of json files (mind you json files with horrible property names because that's what the PGL uses). You can access individual files if you know my naming scheme. The files are in the data folder, and are alle named data-seasonNo-formatNo.txt, e.g. season 14 singles is http://BattleSpotStats.com/data/data-14-1.txt (0 = all, 1 = singles, 2 = doubled, 3 = triples, 4 = rotation, 5 = special and c = competition). I'll make a page where you can download them as text files.

For now I've added the Kanto Classic stats, which are now available. Starting with season 15 I want to track how the ranking individual Pokémon changes throughout the season and display that data in a graph of sorts. I'm still working on that though, but I have a week to figure out how exactly I want to do that.
Perfect! Thanks.

Is there an updated site with the stats...?
I believe hetoord has to manually download the full PGL data and upload that to the site. Season 17 is missing, yes, it seems he's been inactive for quite some time.
I know he does the whole thing via Python, iirc he had the source code somewhere as I do remember looking at it. I've had multiple HDD formats and reinstalls since then though so I don't have it, and it was a much older build than what I use (I learned 3.4.x, the script runs 2.7.x or something. 99% the same thing but all the syntax is different to me).

So no, BattleSpotStats is by far the most comprehensive, the owner is just inactive atm. Hasn't been on Smogon since April, site last updated with S16 stats in June.

As for the winrate question above: PGL actually displays that itself for all trainers. Just do (Number of wins) / (total number of battles) and convert decimal to percentage. Right now I have uh...
(14/20) = 0.7 = 70.00%
You can see number of wins and total battles for every player regardless of privacy settings, so you can be a dweeb like me and compare your winrate to top players or the people around you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)