CAP34 - Part 11 - Prevo # Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
I could see this as definitely having One or Two pre-evos, there's definitely room to grow when it comes to a Train design, especially when dealing with amount of carts, or different smaller vehicules that could be operated on tracks :)

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't think there's really any other route to go than two prevos for this design. It's a huge, imposing dragon-type with a lot of little details. Sure, you could argue that it could be a gyarados situation, but regardless I think two is most fitting here.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
two. big detailed dragon, many high bst dragon types tend to have three stages, and there’s a lot of ways to reduce this design in a flavorful way

two makes a lot of sense. It looks pretty big and imposing, so it feels like it should take two evolutions to get to

Two
The potential of train Pokemon lines has always been fairly high, and while Coalossal was a bit disappointing, I think a line of three pokemon has potential to be great.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Two or Zero

I can see a whole range of comparisons to be made for CAP 34, but the best ones I can make for myself are to Haxorus, which would suggest two prevos, or Drampa, which would suggest zero prevos. I think I favor two but both options should be up to vote.

Yu_IOTJ

formerly NoahIOTJ
is a Community Contributor
I'm a fan of One prevo, but I can also live with Two if it comes down to it.

I have a tough time imagining that this mon wouldn't have prevos at all. It doesn't quite feel complete without at least one. I'm more of a fan of One prevo rather than two because of similar reasonings as Eeluim gives, it feels like a gyarados kind of mon. I'm also recalling mons like Volcarona and Urshifu who have 550 bst and they too have only one prevo.

Throwing my hat in the ring for two pre-evos - this design feels very reminiscent of Pokemon like Flygon, Haxorus, and Hydrapple, which are all powerful three stage non psuedo legendary dragons. I would also be fine with one pre-evo, though.

Mirroring most of what's already been said, I think Two makes the most sense here.
First off, the design is rather complex and has a lot of room for pre-evos so pre-evos certainly work here.
There's also plenty of president for dragons with two pre-evos that aren't pseudos, such as the previously mentioned Haxorus, Flygon and Hydrapple but also examples like Kingdra which gain the Dragon Type later.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Steam Engine Pokemon (Coalossal) has two pre-evos, big dragons often have two pre-evos. The industrial revolution is coming, and it needs some support from earlier progress.

I'm of the camp of giving this One pre-evo, not for any particular design reason but rather the fact 32 got 2 and 33 got 0, so why not give 34 2?

One or Two. Definitely not None. This Pokemon gives me vibes of being in length somewhere between Gyarados and Steelix. Gyarados is a 2 stage evo, while Steelix is *technically* a 2 stage Pokemon but evolves from Onix that was previously fully evolved. I can see the argument for making this a 3 stage line. The Dragon Typing adds to it as well, as the 2 stage dragon types I can think of are typically much smaller on scale, such as Altaria or gimmicky like Appletun/Flapple. I can see the arguments for similarity to other non-pseudos like Flygon or Haxorus.

Last edited:
Looking purely from a design angle, I'd say One. The design can be seen as a short train from a minimum-gauge railroad; the prevo could be a switch engine from a miniature railway. ( The Little Engine That Could reference)

Edit: I recently realized that while The Little Engine That Could is a child-friendly retelling of The Good Samaritan, it also happens to line up rather well with the Koi Legend.

Last edited:
Train doesn't strike me as a legendary or a non-evolving mon, but it's a big dragon so I think it should get Two. One could work, but I think just one would make the jump from the preevo to train a little jarring imo

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Definitely Two. There's a lot of promise behind a big design with a diverse application. Not only can it be perceived as a train, but also an ouroboros, a dragon, a toy train, or just in the perspective of a vehicle... and so on. There's a vast array of different possible designs that demonstrate an effective design diversity that at least necessitates that we should get a prevo.

Why not one?
As previously mentioned, the train is a massive design. To show progression would be quite difficult without making a 2 prevo line as 2 prevos can better develop into a large and imposing snake-like beast. I see mentions of one prevo, and although going from a small creature to a large one is a possibility in pokemon, it doesn't feel as suitable to CAP nor the dragon-type which is associated with powerful 3 stage lines due to pseudo legendaries.

Why not zero?
It could be argued that there are single-stage dragon types, but Turtonator and Drampa are much smaller in scale compared to this. They're somewhat complicated, but much more simple in design. I also feel zero prevos doesn't do any credence to the possibilities which have been shown or discussed.

I’m going with the general consensus and saying this guy should have Two preevolutions. Not only is this design incredibly complex, but trains are designed to have multiple segments and components working in unison, so it makes sense to me that the train should have two preevolutions to fully explore the array of parts like the engine, caboose, wheels, etc.
This design also displays motifs of Eastern Dragons, so seeing an evolution of that concept through the design makes sense.
One evolution could work, but I think it loses some opportunities to explore the concept of a train completely.
At the very least, this Pokémon needs a pre-evolution, there’s simply no way this mon could be a single stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)