CaP Prevos - Bolderdash Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all! It's about time we renamed this sucker. I will add Bolderdash to the slate, but we are also accepting new names for this new design!

Sunfished won in our art poll with the above design, let's give this fella an official new name to complete his redesign!

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 12 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Colon (:)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Names will not be slated if they are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person. Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Please make a new post after the CAP moderator announcement for Final Submissions. Do not edit a previous post prior to the announcement to make it a Final Submission. All posts prior to the announcement post will be ignored for purposes of making the Name Poll.

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon. (25 words maximum)
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. It is simple, elegant, and easy to pronounce (even if you are pronouncing it wrong), which is why it was chosen as the official name for CAP1!
Final Submissions will be active from the opening of this thread, you've got a few days to go!

WIP

Debrecision

Debris + Precision + Incision Need a lot of precision for a claw game and this line is a skill fighter instead of a brute force fighter. Incision for the sharp claws and debris, like rubble, is random bits of leftover rock.

Pronounced: <Deh-bree-sih-sjhihn>

IPA: </dɛbrisɪʒ(ə)n/>

Need to work out how best to shorten the description and describe the /ʒ/ sound.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Grabble

Grab + Gravel + Grapple

Pronounced: "GRAH-bull"
IPA: ɡræbəl

Don't have much time starting from now until next Wednesday, so I'll make my submission now. x_x Rebble, Bolderdash, and Stratagem all have double-barreled puns, with each name sounding like a full word but having two halves also sounding like other words. It's hard to beat "Bolderdash", but I'd like to consider "Grabble".

I was thinking of a name that references the updated design, and... well, gravel is rocks, and a claw could grab and grapple. "Rebble" and "Grabble" also fit nicely with each other.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Pundite

(Pundit + "-ite" as a rock and mineral suffix)

Pronounciation: Puhn-dite

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
WIP

Minnerush

Mineral + rush, with an extra n so your pronounce it right

Pronounced: MIN-ne-rush (not MINE-rush)

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Final Submission

Gneissgrip

Combination of "gneiss" (a metamorphic rock) and "grip" (referring to its claw-like base).

Pronounced: "nice-grip"
IPA: naɪsɡɹɪp

A nice and layered play on words. I think it fits the new design a little more, and also sounds like vice grip!

Final Submission

Cragtician

Pronunciation: kraɡtiSH(ə)n
Combo of crag and tactician

Last edited:
Final Submission

Tactite

From "tactic" (relating to the meaning of the word "stratagem") and "-ite" (a suffix common in rock and mineral names)

Pronunciation: "TACT-ight"
IPA: tæktaɪt

WIP

Rubischeme

A combination of "ruby", meaning a red gem, and "scheme", meaning a plan or a strategy.

Pronounced: ROO-beh-SCEEM

Final Submission

Debrecision

Debris + Precision + Incision Precision for a claw game and fighting skill. Incision for claws and debris is random bits of leftover rock.

Pronounced: <Deh-bree-sih-ZHIHN>

IPA: </dɛbrisɪʒ(ə)n/>

WIP

Cragtician

Pronunciation: kraɡtiSH(ə)n
Combo of crag and tactician
Cracktician

Pronounciation: kraktiSH(ə)n
Combo of crack and tactician

Would like to hear thoughts on both. I like Cragtician better rn because it makies a lot more sense, but I think Cracktician is more clear and still does kinda make sense design wise if you stretch.
I prefer Cragtician as it makes the rock connection clearer.

Final Submission

Rubischeme

A combination of "ruby", meaning a red gem, and "scheme", meaning a plan or a strategy.

Pronounced: ROO-beh-SCEEM

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Cause I totally forgot we were renaming Bolderdash.

You guys have 24 hours to finalise subs!

akaFila

butterscotch love
Final Submission

Accurock

A mash-up play on the terms "Accurate"[For likeness to a claw machine / Supporting the play on strategy prior to Stratagem] & "Rock"[Explains itself, it's a rock..].

Pronounced: ak-yer-rok

Final Submission

Stratuby

Stratagem + Ruby

Pronounced stra-tuu-bee
Just thought it would be cool for it to relate to its evolution just like Abra --> Kadabra does but in it's own cute way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)