CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13b (Name Poll 1)

What name should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

Multi-choice clicky poll, standard really. Also, before everyone starts with the whole "WHY MY NAME NOT HERE.", these are the only names that got any support whatsoever, because apparently, everyone was too busy submitting new names.

X-Act said:
I've been waiting for this discussion, as I have had a name for this guy for around 3 weeks now.

I would suggest the name Stratagem for this Pokemon.

It is a combination of the words 'strata' and 'gem', but it is also a word in itself. There are Pokemon names that are English words after all, like 'Electrode' or 'Ditto', so I don't see why not.

'Strata' are the various layers of rocks that are visible in some places, notably quarries. Since this Pokemon is Rock-type, it can be conceivable that this Pokemon lives among various rock strata.

'Gem' is obviously referring to its gems adorning its body.

And the word 'stratagem' itself means 'plot' or 'scheme'... something that this Pokemon might well be doing while battling!

I usually am not that good with names, but I think this name is very appropriate.
DougJustDoug said:
Meteorion

Combines Meteor (a fast rock) + Ion (connotes charged power).

It also contains Orion, aka "The Hunter" in Greek mythology. Since this pokemon is an attacker, I think the hunter reference is pretty cool. Orion is also a very famous constellation (named for the hero of myth), so it ties in with the meteor/space theme.
speedwobbles225 and Kazio23 said:
Granight (GRAN-I-TE) Not (Gran-IT)

Granite + Knight/night
RiptideFugitive said:
A special attacking, fast rock type? Pah. Bolderdash.
Magmortified said:
I think this came up somewhere before (heard about it on the chat), but I support Rebble.

Rubble (which the thing looks like it's made up of), and it rhymes with pebble. But I think its real merit is in how the name actually kind of captures the concept of the Pokemon as well. Rebble, sounds like Rebel. What is CAP 5? A Pokemon built to go against the stereotypes of Rock Pokemon. To rebel against something is to defy a generally accepted convention (or one of its definitions, anyhow).
haterguy said:
Merquick

A rock from Mercury + it's quickness.
Deco said:
Petruby?

Petra (Greek word for 'rock') + Ruby (the gems on its body look kinda red -> ruby).
Caladbolg~ said:
Protolith. Proto, from Latin or Greek, I don't know, means First, and Lith, means Rock. "First Rock"... like Ancient [We can link that with the attack "Ancient Beam"]. It also sounds like Proton, a electric particle... We can link that with the Levitate Ability.

Voted Stratagem and Bolderbash. Bolderdash is my first choice, but Stratgem is great as well. I really like Rebble for a possible prevo, but it doesn't seem like it suits a final form Poke. Granight is alright, but it just istn't as good as the first two, and the rest, I just don't care for for some reason or another.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, voted Rebble. 'Cause, y'know, that's pretty much the only one I really like.

Hence why I brought it up from obscurity. =P

Voted Meteorion and Boulderdash, though I think Boulderdash should be condensed down a little bit to like Bouldash or something.

Stratagem is the only one that's remotely good imo, maybe protolith too but i just voted stratagem and hopefully this name poll doesn't last long...

Since I don't particularly like any of them, I just went with not voting for the ones I dislike. Which is Bolderdash, Merquick, and Petruby. So all the others I voted for.

Don't get me wrong Bolderdash is a great play on words, but IMO it's better as a nickname...

Voted Stratagem and Bolderdash. All the rest are decent, but they sound a little forced. With the exception of Rebble, which is clever but didn't seem to fit.

I didn't really like Merquick or Granight, and I agree with ChronoSquare Bolderdash is better as a nickname or something... it's a bit like Mariguana, it's funny but not really good as a name.

The other 5 all sound like fine names to me so I voted all of those.

Stratagem and Bolderdash are awesome. The rest are good, but they just can't compare.

Incidentally, since this thing apparently has pre-evos (from the concept art), are we going to name them, too?

Stratagem and Bolderdash are awesome. The rest are good, but they just can't compare.

Incidentally, since this thing apparently has pre-evos (from the concept art), are we going to name them, too?
I nominate Rebble as a secondary name for one of the prevos, doesn't it just sound more suiting for a NFE pokemon? ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)