CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 9 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's time to give our ghostly dragon a name!

---

If you are inspired by the winning art design and have come up with a good and unique name you'd like the CAP to be known by, please submit your idea here and we will put it up for a vote against all other users' ideas. Final submissions must conform to the submission rules, so please read them carefully. Breaking the posting rules can also result in disqualification.

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 12 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Colon (:)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Names will not be slated if they are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person. Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Please make a new post after the CAP moderator announcement for Final Submissions. Do not edit a previous post prior to the announcement to make it a Final Submission. All posts prior to the announcement post will be ignored for purposes of making the Name Poll.

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon. (25 words maximum)
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. It is simple, elegant, and easy to pronounce (even if you are pronouncing it wrong), which is why it was chosen as the official name for CAP1!

Art design:

Typing: Dragon/Ghost
Primary Ability: Comatose
Stats: 84 HP / 133 Atk / 71 Def / 51 SpA / 111 SpD / 101 Spe
Abilities: Comatose / No Competitive Ability / TBD

Concept:
Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?[/SIZE]
CAP23 should target and dismantle:
a. Defensive pivots/walls (e.g. doesn't use VoltTurn): Tomohawk, Toxapex, Tangrowth, Arghonaut, Pyroak, Mollux, Mega Venusaur, Zapdos
If successfully trapped, these Pokemon will have a difficult time against CAP23, through CAP23's offensive coverage or utility.

CAP23 should target and pressure (Pokemon that have methods to escape CAP23 and should not threaten a healthy CAP23 AND offensive Pokemon that CAP23 naturally checks):
b. VoltTurn pivots: Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Volkraken, other VoltTurners whose coverage CAP23 resists
These are VoltTurn pivots we should not lose to. CAP23 has a general type advantage over these, so they should be pressured into switching out, rather than having a free U-turn or Volt Switch.
c. Offensive Pokemon: Excadrill, Volcarona, Keldeo, Tapu Bulu, Mega Charizard Y, Calm Mind Naviathan, other Pokemon whose coverage CAP23 resists
CAP23 should generally not lose to Pokemon whose moves are resisted: as such, these Pokemon should fear CAP23 to some degree.

CAP23 should be checked by:
d. Offensive Steel-types: Kitsunoh, Dragon Dance Naviathan, Mega Mawile, Bisharp
e. Ice-types: Syclant, Kyurem-B, Ninetales-A
These Pokemon have the coverage, bulk, or power to tackle CAP23.
f. Dragon-types: Zygarde, Mega Charizard X, Latios, Garchomp
g. Ghost-types: Mimikyu, Kitsunoh, Gengar
These two types have a type advantage over CAP23, but the reverse is also true, so they are checks.
h. Dark-types: Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Colossoil, Mega Sableye, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Gyarados
i. Fairy-types: Tapu Lele, Kerfluffle, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable
These Pokemon have the bulk, super-effective STAB-boosted coverage, or other qualities to check CAP23.

CAP23 should be countered by:
j. Skarmory, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Tapu Fini
These Pokemon generally have the bulk to take on a Ghost-type STAB, resist or are immune to CAP23's Dragon-type STAB, and generally do not care about CAP23's trapping effect. Tapu Fini in particular blocks CAP23's ability to use Toxic.

Topic Leader: snake_rattler
Typing Leader: HeaLnDeaL
Ability Leader: LucarioOfLegends
Stats Leader: reachzero
Movepool Leader: cbrevan

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
WIP

Drakid

Although it comes from "Drake" + "Id", this works just as well as coming from "Dragon" and "Kid". Pick your favourite and I promise that's my favourite too :P

---

I'm also going to post a second one, based purely on the fact that I realised that Reiga's art is a Kid Napping. A Kidnapping. Which is a fairly strong trapping pun. Kidnapping in my accent actually corrupts for a wyvern addition, ergo I'm also going to WIP Kidnappern. (2/3 WIPs gone already, it's sorta like my bank balance...)

Last edited:
WIP

Dracoma

"Dragon" or "Draco" (as in Draco Meteor) + "Coma/Comatose," which relates to sleep and is it's ability.

Pronunciation: "DRAY-koh-muh"

WIP

Hydream

From Hydra + Dream

Since dream dragon is a dream, it might be able to reform itself into a multi-headed creature

Hydra means dragon anyways

WIP

Snoozilla

Snooze and Godzilla

Snooze to reflect Comatose and Godzilla to reflect that its dream form is huge, menacing, and somewhat reptilian.

WIP

Astrake

It comes from "Astral Projection" + "Drake." I think it has a sort of mystical and child-like wonder, which I think is a bit of a theme with this Pokemon. It's a kid dragon dreaming about itself being big and strong, trapping and defeating the "bad guys." (Probably has a child-like view of the world, so yeah. Bad guys are the foe but w/e) Heck, a supporting artwork had the dream dragon blowing its missiles of death like a rough and tough cowboy after a duel. I just like the idea of keeping it simple while still having it be interesting. The name is simple, elegant, and whimsical. The name is somewhat cute but not to where it seems like a joke, but not intimidating enough to where the kid disappears.

WIP

Cocoma

In Spanish folklore, there is a mythical ghost monster that resides in Portugal and Galicia called the Coco.
In Portugal, the Coco was a dragon who fought Saint George in a yearly ritual of crop success.
The legends were carried by Spanish Conquistadors over to The South Americas, where the indigenous tribes began to fear the stories of a slumbering, ghostly boogeyman who could change his shape at will. The Coco most commonly takes the form of both a dragon and a sleeping spirit, among other things.
Combine the name of this slumbering, ghostly, amorphous, and draconic spirit, Coco, with CAP23's comatic state, and you get Coco + Coma = Cocoma.
:>
I could see this slumbering dragon changing its dream's shape to suit specific needs, whether it be scaring Natives with its supernatural and draconic appearance, or hiding behind curtains to prank a naughty child.
Plus, it's a cute lil' name, ain't it?

Last edited:
WIP

Wyvrem

Corruption of Wyvern, or 'Wyvern' + 'REM', a unique type of sleeping.

While its 'dream form' is a menacing creature, we do have to keep in mind that the actual body is not really fearsome on its own. It might not be the best idea to use intimidating-sounding names.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here are two names I'm considering:

Drajinn

"Dragon" + "Djinn"

Pronounced: "DRA-gin"
IPA: dræʤɪn

The big dragon is ghostly, has a wispy tail, and comes out of a smaller container. You might call it a genie. I thought that "dragon" and "djinn" fit really well together. :)

--

Phantasmall

"Phantasmal" + "Small"

Pronounced: "fan-TAH-small"
IPA: fæntæzmoʊl

I really like "phantasm" as a base word for this 'mon, since it can refer to either ghosts or dreams, which is a perfect fit for this 'mon. "Small" referring to the small sleeping dragon is a natural choice of word to combine with "phantasmal". :)

WIP

Draedolon

A combination of 'Dragon', 'Dread', and 'Eidolon'. I think this name fits very well with our current design and sounds like a very GameFreak-ish name.

WIP

Slumbra

A combination of 'Slumber' and 'Umbra'. It kind of gives a rather slow feel to the name but I think these two words fit together so nicely that I just couldn't not put them together.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Polterguise

"Poltergeist + Guise"

Poltergeists trap victims in haunted places. A (dis)guise is a false presentation. Our Pokemon disguises itself cutely to trap opponents :)

Last edited:
WIP

Mr. Snuzu

Japanese for "snooze".

Pronounced: MI-ster SNOO-zoo
IPA: ˈmɪstər snuzu

Does this sound like a silly name? (Send me a quick PM if yes, and I"ll change this)
I just thought it sounded really cute and is like a facade (as a TRAP!) for the power of CAP23.

WIP

Yawnox

"Yawn + Nox"

Nox is Latin and essentially means night/darkness, though IDK how I feel about not really incorporating any of the draconic elements.

WIP

Hauntuque

Haunt+Tuque
Pronounced: Haun-TOOK

Haunt is a verb that implies spiritual pestering or possession of an item or location, or alternatively the spirit possessing said place. Tuque is another name for a knit cap or nightcap, which smolgon's horn resembles/is.

~0~

Langwurm/Dozywurm

Pronounce: LANG-worm/DO-zy-worm

Play on "Lindwurm" with Languid-wurm, or Dozy-wurm. The Lindwurm or lindworm is a british dragon-like creature that was said to hold a kingdom hostage after being born from the queen as a result of a botched ritual. The root of it is linnorm, which is a nordic word for dragon or sea serpent. Alternative spellings Langnorm/Dozynorm/Langiwurm/Doziwurm.

~0~

Nidmare/Naidmare

Nidhogg+Nightmare
Pronounce: NAID-mare

Nidhogg is a norse mythological dragon that gnawed on the roots of Yggdrasil... Except this time it's a nightmare!

Last edited:
WIP

Nightyfryte

A combination of "Nightie" slang for pajamas and "Fright" meaning afraid, as one would be when having a nightmare or when seeing a ghost.

Also works as a play on "nighty night" an expression used at bedtime for children.

Edit: Adjusted to be 11 characters, changed spelling

-----------

How do people like this spelling?

If 12 characters were allowed I might go with "nightiefryte", as someone pointed out, Crabominable is 12 characters.

Last edited:
WIP

Onitus

A combination of the words oniric and cetus (a legendary dragon of Greek mythology that also has a constellation with its name)

Pronunciation: Ow-Ney-Thus

PDS:this is my first post so, i need to know if i'm doing this good

WIP

Dragnet

Pretty obvious, dragnet is a type of net used to catch marine life and while CAP doesn't relate to water, catching other mons is de rigueur for CAP. The name also has a nice simplicity to it and accommodates CAP's dragon typing well.

Napparition
Thank god for the 11 character limit. Combing nap + apparition into another simple but effective name. I considered going with Napparation to try and fit 'incarcerate' in there to account for CAP's trapping aspect but didn't like the sound of it as much.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
WIP

Lurrasque

"Lucid" (Concious dreaming state) + "Tar(r)asque" (French mythological dragon/iconic D&D giant reptile titan that resembles this CAP)

Pronounced: lur - ASK

alternate spelling: Lurrask. Less obvious and not as faithful, but looks more like how a Pokemon name would look

Last edited:
My 2 suggestions will be: poltermagant
Poltergeist is ghost related, termagant is a word referencing destruction and fits well seeing as he is a dragon.
2nd suggestion: Hypwyvern
Is a sleeping ghost, so added hyp as in hypno, the god of sleep or hypnosis, putting one into a trance. Wyvern is a 2 legged dragon, which is fitting for this cap in particular, his 2 legs and all. Now traditionally wyverns have barbed tails but the baby on his back has spikes on its tail, and as this is concept art the final sprite may yet have a spiked tail.

Spectragon

A simple enough name: it's a spectral dragon. I find the overlap in the words, simple root words, and the overall sound of the name very appealing.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
WIP

Pajantom

Pajamas + Phantom

Pronounced: "puh-JANT-um"
IPA: pə'd͡ʒæntəm

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
WIP

Dracognition

Draco + Cognition

Prounounced: DRAY-cog-NI-shun

A combination of Cognition and Draco. Because the ghostly dragon stems from the little one's thoughts / dreams, it's origin is its cognition: how it sees itself. Not referring to its Ghost typing directly within the name is nice given how this design goes against many of the ghostly trends we've seen.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Yo here a random name

WIP

Pucaisa

Derived from Púca (ghost in irish) and aisling (dream in irish), with the extra a for sounding good. Want to also add the irish word for dragon into it (that being dragan), but I would like some more input on that subject. The revamp would probably be Pucaigan in that case.

But why the focus on Irish translations? Well, dragons are commonly seen in European mythology as evil and malevolant creatures, which I find very fitting to the typing and the baby dragon's dream form. They also commonly slept in caves, which also works with the design and especially Comatose. So those are just my thoughts.

Still very much willing to change my submission if need be, so critique would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)