CAP 23 CAP 23 - Final Product

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Gen 7 thought it could drown out the Dragon-types with even more Fairy-types. But they were wrong!

Also HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY TO THE CAP PROJECT!!

I won't lie; as TL, this project was a bumpy ride for me. Looking back, there were many times when I could have done a better job with a few of the stages, but in the end, I think we've created an awesome Pokemon for the volatile Gen 7 metagame.

As always, the TL finalizes Height and Weight. Now the question is, what is Pajantom? Is it just the cute little dragon or is it also the big scary dream monster? There are a few cases we can look at. Wishiwashi has official heights and weights for its solo and schooling formes, but those are forme changes, and Pajantom is not. On the other hand, Spiritomb is very similar to Pajantom, as it has the Odd Keystone (kinda like the little dragon) + its swirling face thing. However, Spiritomb is 3'03" (or 1 meter tall), and I definitely don't think the Odd Keystone itself being 3 feet tall. Therefore I interpret Pajantom as the little guy + the dream apparition because Spiritomb's height seems to be based on the entirety of the Pokemon, not just one part. Judging from the art we're given, I'm thinking that the small dragon is probably a similar size to the baby-ish Pokemon, so about 1'00" long. The apparition looks to be about 3.5 times the little dragon's size, so I'm placing Pajantom's official height at 3'06" (or 1.1 meters). As for weight, the majority of the weight will actually be the little dragon's weight, but things like Gastly and Haunter still have a minute amount of weight too. Looking at the baby Pokemon again and seeing how the small dragon is a little chubby, I'll be putting it at a whopping 6.6 lbs, or 3.0kg, but then adding on 0.2 lbs to account for the dream apparition, so we're looking at 6.8 lbs (or 3.1kg) as the official weight.

And now, to wrap up this project, first, I need to thank everyone who posted on, talked about, drew for and contributed to this CAP Project. Everyone took a part in creating Pajantom. Second, we had a really great TLT team this CAP of HeaLnDeaL, LucarioOfLegends, reachzero, and cbrevan, and this project wouldn't have been possible without your efforts. Third, the CAP moderation team always makes sure that all of the steps go smoothly, which makes every project really fun. Finally, I have to give huge props to the spriter Wyverii and the 3D modeling team of QxC4eva, Cretacerus, KrazyCake, Zephias, and Reigaheres. Because of their work, we have beautiful sprites for Pajantom. The 3D sprites will be uploaded to PS! when the hidden ability is determined. I'm sure each of these artists would be happy to elaborate on what they did specifically, but to keep this short, just know that they're awesome for pulling this together.

And now, without further ado, here is the final product of the 23rd CAP Process: Pajantom!

Concept:
Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?
Typing: Dragon / Ghost
Abilities: Comatose
Stats: 84 HP / 133 Atk / 71 Def / 51 SpA / 111 SpD / 101 Spe
Movepool:
- Spirit Shackle
- Brave Bird
- Fairy Lock
- Snore
- Wrap
- Astonish
- Growl
6 - Snore
8 - Wrap
10 - Laser Focus
12 - Dragon Rage
17 - Poison Gas
19 - Dragon Breath
23 - Dragon Claw
28 - Toxic Spikes
30 - Heal Block
32 - Psychic Fangs
34 - Dragon Rush
37 - Haze
39 - Spirit Shackle
45 - Phantom Force
53 - Outrage
TM 02 Dragon Claw
TM 06 Toxic
TM 09 Venoshock
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 15 Hyper Beam
TM 17 Protect
TM 18 Rain Dance
TM 21 Frustration
TM 26 Earthquake
TM 27 Return
TM 28 Leech Life
TM 29 Psychic
TM 30 Shadow Ball
TM 32 Double Team
TM 39 Rock Tomb
TM 40 Aerial Ace
TM 42 Facade
TM 44 Rest
TM 45 Attract
TM 48 Round
TM 59 Brutal Swing
TM 65 Shadow Claw
TM 67 Smart Strike
TM 68 Giga Impact
TM 71 Stone Edge
TM 76 Fly
TM 77 Psych Up
TM 78 Bulldoze
TM 80 Rock Slide
TM 83 Infestation
TM 85 Dream Eater
TM 87 Swagger
TM 88 Sleep Talk
TM 90 Substitute
TM 92 Trick Room
TM 94 Surf
TM 100 Confide
Bind
Block
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Gastro Acid
Gravity
Helping Hand
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Outrage
Snore
Spite
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Zen Headbutt
Egg Groups: Dragon / Monster

Ice Fang
Iron Tail
Poison Fang
Sand Tomb
Spite
Whirlpool
Height: 1.1 m / 3'06"
Weight: 6.8 lbs / 3.1 kg

Last edited:
That 3D Pajantom model looks amazing! It's a nice way to end off the 23rd project. Happy 10th birthday, CAP!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pajamtom looking cleannnnnnn!!!!

This was a really fun ride and I'd like to hail everyone who participated

This was my first CAP and I'm glad it went as smoothly as it did. Thank you to all of you for making this CAP so fun to do.

Shoutout to the art dudes for all the amazing design decisions. All the variety in the art poll was probably the best part of the project.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Wow that design looks like turds, whoever designed it must be a total hack ;^J

Good job capperinos :D

can i just say that Gastly and Haunter have weight because they're made of gas, so it's kinda different from the ghost dragon.
but it's a cool pokemon

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Participated in the last five CAPs but sat this one out. You guys outdid yourselves again; Pajantom is a cool mon.

That was amazing. As I didn’t actually participate in this, despite participation in the last one, I can’t even believe how amazing it is. Great job Smogon, and especially Cap, I look forward to seeing more projects out of you all!

My god it’s amazing... a good ghost cap finally…

Not gonna lie, but when I saw its movepool at first i thought it was Decidueye's, but man, this guy looks great, we needed better trap moves and Comatose abusers. Great job =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)