Call of Duty: Black Ops

Since the new installment of the popular Call of Duty series is coming out in a few days i thiugh that i should ask you guys what you will think about it. I think it will be a good game, although it probably will have some flaws in the beginning, it still probably be my game of choice for the next few months.

Some info about the game has been leaked onto Youtube so if you are curious to see more about it just search Black ops leaks on the youtube search box.

From what ive seen in theses leaks is that there is zombies in black ops, some info about the multiplayer such as weapons and class selection, and what alot of the new maps look like.

I thought MW2 was great. but that's me. I'm very glad treyarch finally took the turn away from ww2. That horse got beat to a bloody pulp. I like that vehicles aren't in the multiplayer and the huge amount of variety and customization. I'm hoping that mixes things up. I don't know how i feel about the shooting knife though.

im glad for the codpoints and customization, if only because while my friends get their faces all painted up, ill be buying weapons perks and attachments to own their sorry asses ;). But that's okay, make your face all pretty for when i teabag it.
The fact that n00b t00bs are still in sucks, although they are expensive and nerfed. They should have at least taken out dirent impact kills >___>. Ghost pro also means i need to put a bullet into every dead body i see, which wont be fun. But they did a really good move with the removal of stopping power and juggernaut, along with OMA and commando. Good job treyarch. I was scared when i first saw maps like nuke town and havannah, afraid of camping, but treyarch is awesome at making maps and i think they'll do ok. The new wager matches look amazing as well, gun game, sharpshooter and one in the chamber all look awesome.
When you consider Infinity Ward is dieing, this was treyarch's chance to take control of the COD serious, and it looks like they're taking it by the reins. The auto nerfs built in are also a genius idea, as if a weapon is overpowered, they can just press a button and it's instantly nerfed until they make a patch. bravo.

Edit: How could i forget the fact that killstreaks dont count to other killstreaks - no more camping for killstreaks. Also, in the hour long youtube video, they treyarch dude mentions that none of the team based wager matches ship with the game. Possible expansion down the road mebbe?
Also nuke town is the smallest map? >__< Come on treyarch, i hope youve got some good map packs in store, i would pay a lot of cash if you brought back shipment, crossfire, backlot and crash.

What didnt you like about MW2?
Hmm, well, OMA n00b t00bs are probably the defining factor. but also, commando, the fact that 7 of the assault rifles are overpowered, the uzi and UMP were pretty good (no reason really to use mp5k) although there was little reason to use an smg when you had shotguns (underpowered in COD4, so you mega buffed them and made them secondaries?) and machine pistols (which were almost as powerfull as real smgs). Any random noob can quickscope, thinking theyre pro cause they can press 2 buttons at once, and then call you a noob if you use it the right way and "hardscope". Heartbeat sensors almost forced you to use ninja, (i prefer sitrep pro when on SnD defense but i cant use it). Everyone camps because the game isnt based on actually killing, but rather on which team gets a chopper gunner first. Infinity Ward was high off the fat stacks of cash from the best selling game ever so they never bothered to test and find all the glitches in the game (tactical insertion auto spark magic gun anyone?) not to mention they'de rather sell you map packs then fix this. Add in that the best maps in MW2 were worse than Cod4's worst maps.
Those are MW2's problems. Cod4 had an overpowered m16 and slgihtly op frags. thats it. /rant

Also the campaign looks awesome. Cant wait to slice up the inside of an enemy spy's mouth with glass shards.

I'm fucking excited for this. I sold back Medal of Honor (I didnt really like it) and a couple of other games to go towards my down payment on reserve for this. I don't know why people are saying it will be bad; World At War was pretty fun and its made by the same guys, although I can see where they are assuming it will be bad since WaW was worse than every other CoD game but still fun.

I feel like this is going to "the game" people play. Although I agree with Rekt, the guys playing are awful. :(

Looking so much better than MW2, although that's not saying much.
What didnt you like about MW2?

edit: i hope the campaign is better than mw2 was though :/

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Those are MW2's problems. Cod4 had an overpowered m16 and slgihtly op frags. thats it. /rant
Hate to get off topic, but don't forget how fucking broken the p90. But outside of that the game was balanced unlike the fucked shitstorm that was mw2.

From what I've seen the game looks damn good. Probably won't get it until sometime next year when I can renew my live though

From a competitive standpoint (aka mine), MW2 may be one of the worst console games to ever be released. In addition, it was hyped so much to be the best thing since sliced bread, and Infinity Ward just didn't deliver on anything they promised (mostly LAN related issues). It might be different if you're a casual gamer, but I still don't understand how getting killed by grenade launchers, commando knifes, or whatever killstreak the other team uses every 5 seconds can be fun. I'm by no means bad at it either (K/D is somewhere around 3.2, havent played in a while), it just isn't a good game.

However, with Black Ops we are seeing a new side to the console CoD world, where we can finally customize more than just the time limit in games. Treyarch stepped up and made it so we can do things the PC world has been doing forever like set and restrict classes, weapons, equipment, and edit things like movement speed, jump height, sprint speed, and weapon damage, all of which can only add to the gameplay if the settings are used correctly.

Just my thoughts, from a competitive game player since Socom on PS2.

I always hated MW2 because of one thing: HACKERS.
If you played on PC, then you know what I'm talking about already. Steam didn't do jack-all to solve the problem.

The only thing I'm hyped for is it apparently having /dedicated servers/. Punkbuster ftw

I probably shouldn't but I have really high hopes for this game. There's no way it can fail as hard as MW2, so that's at least something to look forward to..watching the multiplayer trailers gets me pretty excited, but I don't expect camping to be any less common than the other games. If any major issues do spring up in multiplayer I fully expect Treyarch to get on it right away, which will really help makes things better.

Infinity Ward was high off the fat stacks of cash from the best selling game ever so they never bothered to test and find all the glitches in the game (tactical insertion auto spark magic gun anyone?) not to mention they'de rather sell you map packs then fix this.
I'm going to pin the blame for failed launch on Activision for pushing the release, but IW definitely should have stepped up and fixed things rather than add more.

I loved the CoD4 P90 :(

Opening of the campaign is amazing, i must say. I never liked COD but 'Zombies' is a fun gameplay mode, you kill them and earn credits to open doors throughout the map. Sad for the past 2 days I keep dying after 3 rounds.

one thing i'm really looking forward to is the lack of stopping power. FINALLY weapons will be balanced and everything won't be a 2 shot kill. i'm also glad that one man army noob tubes are gone. quick scoping getting removed sucks, but oh well. i also like how killstreaks don't count for your killstreak total when getting another ks. for example, im on a 3 ks. my ks kills 5 dudes. i don't get to use the 8 killstreak until i get those kills. anyways, im grounded now but when i can play it its gonna be awesome.

one thing i'm really looking forward to is the lack of stopping power. FINALLY weapons will be balanced and everything won't be a 2 shot kill. i'm also glad that one man army noob tubes are gone. quick scoping getting removed sucks, but oh well. i also like how killstreaks don't count for your killstreak total when getting another ks. for example, im on a 3 ks. my ks kills 5 dudes. i don't get to use the 8 killstreak until i get those kills. anyways, im grounded now but when i can play it its gonna be awesome.
technically, quickscoping was not removed, rather sleight of hand pro was changed to not have an affect on snipers. Like in COD4. So now, quickscoping goes from being the "correct" way to use it, to something only a skilled player can do.

Also the COD4 p90 was in no way overpowered, just fyi it was the slowest killing smg. All it had going for it was the 50 bullet clip, so some noob who sprays can mayby get an extra kill. I prefer the ak74u.

Anyway, what do you guys think will be the best perk/killstreak setups for each weapon class, and what are your thoughts on the perks and killstreaks? (Remember that killstreaks dont count to others, ie, you get 2 kills with a seven kill streak, you dont get a 9 kill streak.)

SMGs will probably go lightweight/scavenger/hardline, steady aim/sleight of hand, and any tier 3 perk. Killstreaks, id go with spy plane, napalm strike, attack helicoptor.

Links to perks and killstreaks are here
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Perks#Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Killstreaks#Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops

P.S. theater mode is going to rock, espiecelly with the direct upload.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For any British users, there's a rumour going round that this will be £25 at Sainsbury's. Definitely going to buy and enjoy this if it is at that price!

technically, quickscoping was not removed, rather sleight of hand pro was changed to not have an affect on snipers. Like in COD4. So now, quickscoping goes from being the "correct" way to use it, to something only a skilled player can do.

Also the COD4 p90 was in no way overpowered, just fyi it was the slowest killing smg. All it had going for it was the 50 bullet clip, so some noob who sprays can mayby get an extra kill. I prefer the ak74u.

Anyway, what do you guys think will be the best perk/killstreak setups for each weapon class, and what are your thoughts on the perks and killstreaks? (Remember that killstreaks dont count to others, ie, you get 2 kills with a seven kill streak, you dont get a 9 kill streak.)

SMGs will probably go lightweight/scavenger/hardline, steady aim/sleight of hand, and any tier 3 perk. Killstreaks, id go with spy plane, napalm strike, attack helicoptor.

Links to perks and killstreaks are here
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Perks#Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops
http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Killstreaks#Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops

P.S. theater mode is going to rock, espiecelly with the direct upload.
oh let's see here. i agree about your quick-scoping point. i forgot to mention just the pro perk was removed. anyways, i always LOVED the ak 74 from mw, definitely my favorite gun in that game. for perks my set-up will always be marathon, lightweight, ninja (i think that's 123?). i like your ks set up. when black ops comes out i'll definitely be mostly using smgs. i'm interested to try the new mp5k. by far my favorite mw2 gun but i saw some clips of it and it seems like it has less recoil but it kills slower, so ya, gonna be interesting

Man I cannot wait for Black Ops to come out. MW2 was a nice game most of the time but it did have its fair share of issues. Remember the UMP45 and how it was used by everyone and then after a while if you used it: you were labelled a try-hard etc.
Hackers screwed Mw2 up completely in tandent with FFA boosters. There was not much point for having gone to 10th prestige as you were accused of hacking your way there because the majority were actually hacked.

Well I really don't have much to say since I can't play multiplayer, but I like the MW series more, and COD4 is my favourite game as up to now (at least in storyline...)

i actually loved MW2. It was my favorite in the series thus far. I thought stopping power was great. Killing people without shooting a ridiculous amount of bullets was appealing to me. Granted the game itself isn't knee deep in realism but i liked when bullets acted much more like they should in real life. I liked hardcore for that reason. I am surprised people complain about campers so much. For every camper there was at least three rushers running from side to side. It actually got annoying how many people would try and run around instead of camping. And if you didn't like all the extra stuff you could have played bare bones. Also infity ward nerfed weapons appropriately like the insufferable 1887's. on top of that quick scoping was never that great anyway. I always hard scoped. Quick scopers could easily be killed if you knew what you were doing in the slightest.

As or black ops it is looking pretty sweet. treyarch looks like they finally made something worthwhile instead of tanks and other retarded additions. I still think random quick killing is going to be just as prevalent as it was in MW2.

So Call of Duty for 2011 was confirmed today (shock and awe).
Is that modern warfare 3 or the black ops sequel? A sequel for black ops is obvious, especielly when you consider that since this takes place all over the world (Cuba, Artic, Russia, Vietnam) they could probably make a whole game for each place.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is that modern warfare 3 or the black ops sequel? A sequel for black ops is obvious, especielly when you consider that since this takes place all over the world (Cuba, Artic, Russia, Vietnam) they could probably make a whole game for each place.
They didn't release any details, even the developer who is developing the game.

Doubt it's gonna be Sledgehammer because they're making an action-adventure game based on the COD series.

Other than the videos on Call Of Duty 's youtube page, I recommend this 1 hour video from gamespot for anyone who wants some spoilers.

As for the game: Black Ops will be amazing. Zombies is one of the best multiplayer games out there on it's own. As for the "true" multiplayer, I'm expecting the bastard child of WAW and MW2 to pop up. Both WAW and MW2 were great: I love the way CoD is so fast and fluid compared to other console shooters. The only real issue with CoD is some of the community, who enjoy being abnoxious, and some who talk in hummingbird frequency and shout at you for not sniping.

A few issues: Dogs being 1hit... hmm. The SMGs are typically dominant, especially since Treyach Gimped sniping, which i do not understand. Sniping is the second hardest class to use after shotguns (on average). Grenade lanchers are still in the game, and last stand pro lasts 25 seconds and you can be revived by a teamate without last stand. However I'm mostly pleased with what I've seen so far, I'll definitely get this, as everyone of my friends will and I've always enjoyed CoD.

Edit: are there any links to supposed new cod game in 2011, and any news on the designer (i assume it's not infinity ward)? Also Activision are really milking the cod games, forcing treyach to delete 2 of their zombie maps to be released in future map packs is just going a bit too far imo though.

Funny you should say that, as I only have one important wish for this CoD game, fixing the spawns. In MW2 some games hard such awful spawns that it became insufferable. My brother and I had taken to calling it "spawning with a dude in my mouth" when you spawn and instantly die to a knife or sniper. If they can fix just this one thing I will be happy.

Funny you should say that, as I only have one important wish for this CoD game, fixing the spawns. In MW2 some games hard such awful spawns that it became insufferable. My brother and I had taken to calling it "spawning with a dude in my mouth" when you spawn and instantly die to a knife or sniper. If they can fix just this one thing I will be happy.
Quoting for truth. The one thing that I liked about Halo over CoD (I used to play Halo a lot but then I got into CoD and stopped playing Halo) was the concept of "safe" respawns which I think made the game more enjoyable overall. I have actually never intentionally spawned camp, the only time it would happen was when I was already camping and some dude spawned in my sights or on small maps like Rust but everywhere you go you are pretty much next to someone who spawns lol.

aggreeing that spawning should be fixed, I was hoping theyed take a page from Bad Company 2's book and let you pick which teamate you spawned on, bt what i dont understand is, why spawn on your teamates? Why not just spawn in an area where there are no hostile players? Also, why couldnt this be released wednsday night, that way I could pick up the midnight release and play straight through thursday no interupptions. Blegh.
Also Alan, on your thing about Rust, on PC COD4 you could fit 50 people in FFA onto shipment. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)