Monotype Bulky Offense Water... Sort Of?

Introduction

Hello everyone! I don't play that often, which explains quite a bit about this team, but that's why I wanted someone to rate it. I originally constructed this team for play with friends under what equate to monotype rules. Since then, I've played a decent amount and have decided to see out some advice on how to improve the team. Onwards to well, the team.

The Team

Wishiwashi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk
Nature: Sp Atk+, Speed-
- Earthquake
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn

Wishiwashi was first added as a joke to one of my friends. It hung on because of it's high offensive stats when in large form, which enabled it to work as a glass cannon. Nowadays, Wishiwashi tends to function as a lead and slow U-Turner to bring in other mons. Earthquake and Ice Beam are both relatively high power moves which provide coverage against the water type's weaknesses: Grass and Electric. Surf is there for a powerful hit without the miss chance that Hydro Pump carries. Wishiwashi won't be in for long, so accuracy is a little more important. Finally, U-turn allows me to pivot in other mons relatively safely.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Speed
Nature: Atk-, Speed+
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- U-Turn

While this isn't the ash-greninja from the event, it's pretty close in my eyes. Greninja serves as a special sweeper, usually coming off of a U-Turn or something else getting KO'd. Water Shuriken grants it priority for sniping off low health opponents, Dark Pulse and Extrasensory give it a STAB and some coverage against it's fighting weakness. U-Turn is an escape route, or just a way to annoy an opposing dark type while bringing something better equipped into the fight.

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Atk+, Sp. Def-
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Poison Jab

Who doesn't love base power 200+ moves? Araquanid is a bulky sweeper, designed to take the ground type hits that Toxapex can't. Liquidation hits pretty hard, when Araquanid tanks long enough to use it. Leech Life and Lunge help it do that, both through STAB and through healing or attack debuffing. They also help it hit grass types, which resist Liquidation and make it's day less fun. Finally, Poison Jab is coverage. It makes fairies less spritely, and the poison chance isn't a bad side effect.

Bruxish @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Nature: Sp. Atk-, Speed+
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Speed is one of the names of the game for Bruxish. The other is biting things. With EVs spread to maximize damage and speed, Strong Jaw buffed Stab Psychic Fangs tears through most non-defensive pokemon, even some that resist it, and removes any barriers along the way. Crunch is used if Psychic Fangs is resisted, and Crunch isn't resisted. While not quite the buzz saw that Psychic Fangs is, it still hits decently hard and can lower defense to set up for something else or just another powerful bite. Waterfall is a second STAB, if one of the above two won't cut it or a flinch chance is looking extremely useful. Finally, Aqua Jet is for revenge kills. Bruxish is not survivable; It hits with aqua jet, and then GTFOs.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 84 Sp. Def
Nature: Atk-, Sp. Atk+
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

Primarina is the bulkier Special counterpart to Bruxish. Hydro Pump is the go-to blaster move, with the second choice being Moonblast. If neither of those two are applicable, then Scald might be used for a burn chance or Psychic to deal with poison or fighting types. It has enough bulk that it usually hangs around for one hit, but is pulled out soon after. Torrent is used because, last I heard, Liquid Voice is still banned.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Atk-, Def+
- Haze
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

Toxapex was brought in because I needed a wall. It stops most things that aren't buffed, and can dispel buffs should it survive long enough. Haze dispels buffs or stalls PP(if absolutely neccesary), Toxic grinds down those weak to it, Scald is there for offense and sometimes spreading burns, and Recover is there for healing without leaving the fight. Regenerator let's it heal when I pivot something else in to try and regain momentum.

Threatlist:

Generally, anything carrying strong electric type attacks can wreak havoc against this team. Of special note are Dragon Dance Dragonite running Thunder Punch, and Zapdos in general. Dragonite easily sets up and has a 2HKO against Toxapex in my experience, while bulky zapdos can take a hit from Wishiwashi and down it within 2 turns. Also, Ferrothorn is a full stop for this team. The few times I've gotten past it involved lucky burns from Skald, and crits.

Conclusion

So yeah, that's the water team I made. I'm still not sure what it actually falls under categorically, but it has gotten me some small measure of success on the monotype ladder. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this likely mediocre team of mine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)