Brown Jesus for Kids

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone know of a children-friendly bible that depicts Jesus as a middle easterner? That has no western Europeans inextricably living in the middle east BC?

To be perfectly honest, I have incredibly mixed feelings about my faith and my children-- Christianity, spirituality, and grappling with it have given me so much in my life, and at the end of the day I still believe myself a Christian, but I can't ever see myself feeling compelled to raise them as Christians. However, I do want them to have an understanding of what it is, be exposed to the ideas of Christianity even without me necessarily leading them to it-- if only to understand why we go to Church at Christmas in America and what their cousins are growing up in. So, leave a bible and some books about Christianity around at home but...

...I find myself completely revolted at the Christian children's books I have received from relatives full of blonde-haired, blue-eyed people. Fortunately, some colored pencils and artist skills have allowed me to correct a couple-- but that's when it hit me that there should be a demand for this.

But-- I tried looking all over the internet. It's hard enough to find anything about "Brown Jesus" never mind finding a children's book that doesn't have it's head up its ass. At the end of the day, this is probably more of a post about frustration here than actually looking for a recommendation...

...but, if something like what I'm looking for does exist, many thanks to the person who finds it.

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
I feel obligated to comment on this.

My "occupation" is currently a student- high school junior year. But on Sundays, I work as a teaching assistant at my Hebrew School. I live in a part of Massachusetts with a lot of Jews but I go to a temple that is a different branch of judaism than a lot of my friends. This year, I'm teaching a class of 7 first graders, and 3 of them aren't white- 2 black/mixed race kids, and 1 asian one.

Most people in the world are not Jewish obviously but there's an even smaller population, almost none, of black jews and asian jews. Two of these kids are adopted, but the point stands. Why aren't there more children's books with kids of different races? There's almost no books that apply to what we want to teach the students (which aren't even like Jewish things they are just like values) that have kids that aren't white in them. The kids in my class are probably too young to realize this but soon they definitely will (especially at my temple which has a lot of liberal activists), and this is just another way that non-white people are oppressed even in liberal states.

I hope this story shows that this is a more common problem than most of you probably thought it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)