Boss Battles: Which is your favorite of all time?

Miguel from Chrono Cross was certainly one, and another that gave me headaches (in a good way) was Indalecio from Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Oh, and MGS3's The End fight. How did I ever forget about that?

Let's see, there's Ganon in Wind Waker which I have to say was epic and awesome when Link jumps in the air and stabs the sword through his head, pretty violent :p. There's also Gigas in Earthbound who was a pretty epic boss, you had to pray in order to kill him later in the battle ><, I like the music in his first form fighting along with Pokey. 0^2 in Kirby 64 would have been more epic if that game were hard >_>, but it was extremely easy and kinda ruined it. Oh, some of the bosses in the FF series are epic (definetly Kefka, he's probably the best Final Fantasy Villain, and don't go telling me Sephiroth is >_>)

Oh man. It's a three way tie for me.

First is Luca Blight in Suikoden II. Not only do you go the entire game HATING him, but first you have a war battle against him, then you fight him three times with seperate squads to pick off his bodyguards and weaken him, THEN you trick him into picking up a signal flare which he then gets hit by 100 archers. Oh, and then you have to duel him WHICH YOU CAN STILL LOSE IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL. Then, he finally dies. Epic. Epic. Epic three hours of the game.

Second is Lezard Valeth in Valkyrie Profile 2. Total blindside final boss.

Third is Ghaleon in Lunar: The Silver Star. I dunno, something about Ghaleon just depresses me and makes me feel like it's an amazing way to handle the story in the end.

I'm such an RPG nerd.

Tartarus (tartar sauce) from Halo 2. His big sword and the hordes of Elites and Brutes fighting each other just makes it more epic.

I would have to say when you have to fight the Dark Samus in Metroid Fusion. I've got the game for like more than 3 years and I still haven't beaten it. And some say the last boss is even harder, oh GOD!

I would have to say when you have to fight the Dark Samus in Metroid Fusion. I've got the game for like more than 3 years and I still haven't beaten it. And some say the last boss is even harder, oh GOD!
How you can confuse the SA-X with Dark Samus is beyond me. And the final boss is much, MUCH easier. The SA-X isn't even all that hard!

a lot of what I love was mentioned

God of War probably is my favorite game for boss battles. That Hydra fight at the start is purely awesome

Edit: Klauser (Clauser?) in RE4 was pretty cool. The lake boss and The first EL Giganto were cool.

To be honest, in my years of gaming, I have found a great deal of boss fights to be my favorites:

King K. Rool from DK1 was my favorite, the tune was catchy!
Bowser from Paper Mario 1.
Mother Brain: Super Metroid
A few of the bosses from the Mega Man X.

Of them, my all time favorite has to be Bowser from Paper Mario 1. Had an epic feeling to it.

My least favorite one? (Off topic, I know)

The Omega Metroid from Fusion. That thing was a pathetic excuse for a final boss. RAWR L00K AT M3 I CAN SLAZH FTW!!!!!!1111

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They stole that crap from Wind Waker, who did it way better!
To be honest I thought the auto-parry was a bit of a copout. Not that I didn't mind that boss battle either.

Also seconding the epicness that is Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime.

To be honest I thought the auto-parry was a bit of a copout. Not that I didn't mind that boss battle either.

Also seconding the epicness that is Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime.
Auto-parry was awesome and it didn't make it a "copout" - that boss battle was epic and stands out because, unlike 95% of Zelda bosses, it was barely recycled in any way from an older one.

Whereas, of course, in Twilight Princess (which I love, but basically the point of it was to copy all the good stuff from older games and make it shiny with emo graphics), they recycled the final boss from Wind Waker.

I'm pretty intrigued by a lot of responses in this thread... I haven't played a lot of these games, especially the ones that came after systems like the n64.

I'd have to say the battle with Giygas in Earthbound was my favorite. Earthbound in general was just an awesome game to begin with; I'd probably call it my favorite.

My least favorite one? (Off topic, I know)

The Omega Metroid from Fusion. That thing was a pathetic excuse for a final boss. RAWR L00K AT M3 I CAN SLAZH FTW!!!!!!1111
Quoted for truth

...and as an excuse to mock how bad fusion was. That game was so terrible after super metroid, which was made a whole eight years earlier. You'd think they would've had the time to actually make a good game.

Hardest bosses in that game are nightmare and yakuza (the spider thing) by far. Oh, and netorri (the plant cocoon thing that gives plasma beam) if you include 1% runs. Final boss is of lol proportions. If you know how to use the angle up button, the B button, and the control pad, you win.

Whereas, of course, in Twilight Princess (which I love, but basically the point of it was to copy all the good stuff from older games and make it shiny with emo graphics), they recycled the final boss from Wind Waker.
But, you can distract him with the fishing rod!
Hardest bosses in that game are nightmare and yakuza (the spider thing) by far.
Yakuza was one of the hardest bosses in Metroid for me.

I wanna say my favorite boss battle was Rundas from Metroid prime 3, but it was just to easy...as was Meta Ridley in the falling sequence. So I'm gonna have to go with the Hydra from God of War or battle Karst and Agatio from Golden Sun. God I love huge damage grudge matches of pure power.

one of my favorite recent bosses would have to be Twilight fossil: Stallord from TP.

Another is Quadrixis from MP2, and bongo bongo of OoT, such a cool boss and such a good dungeon.

and a few more i dont remeber right now

I'm a sucker for atmosphere, so pre-Xbox/PS2/GCN bosses don't cut it for me.

The battle with Fiend Murai in Ninja Gaiden: Black (In Ninja Gaiden you could just spam the Flying Swallow, which ruined any sense epicness in the battle.) is one of my favorites, provided I'm playing it on Very Hard or Master Ninja.

The End from MGS3: No explanation needed.

The Joy from MGS3: The environment and the music (Or lack of at the beginning) made me pee a little.

Vergil III in DMC3: It was neat.

Honorable mentions:
The Enigmatic Soldier from KH2FM+ would be one of the best around if it wasn't for the fact that Donald and Goofy fight with you, drowning out the music with their quacks and whatever the hell Goofy does. A perfect example of how Disney can turn awesome, epic crap into stupid, kiddy crap.

Okami's bosses had everything down except the actual battle. They felt more like mini-games than bosses. The final boss might've been up there if it wasn't for the developers playing the "Ultimate evil is a sphere because we've run out of ideas" card.

The one that's made me tear my hair out, shout and curse and taken the longest to actually kill is the 50th event battle on SSBM. Awesome stuff there.

Most atmospheric or coolest has to be Quadraxis. The feeling when you realise what it is you're fighting...

Zarathustra from Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra. By far the hardest and most fun boss I ever faced. After you beat him, you also watch the single most epic cut scene I've ever seen. It was like literally an hour long cut scene. It was amazing. great way to end the trilogy.

Oh man. It's a three way tie for me.

First is Luca Blight in Suikoden II. Not only do you go the entire game HATING him, but first you have a war battle against him, then you fight him three times with seperate squads to pick off his bodyguards and weaken him, THEN you trick him into picking up a signal flare which he then gets hit by 100 archers. Oh, and then you have to duel him WHICH YOU CAN STILL LOSE IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL. Then, he finally dies. Epic. Epic. Epic three hours of the game.
I can certinally agree with that, never before have i hated a villain as much as Blight, the epic scale involved in taking him down makes it so emotionally tense that when you do beat him it's like you've accomplished something great...Then you realise you've not finished the game.

Returning to the Rock to battle Jowy was also memorable, after collecting all 108 Stars of Destiny and walking through your home town, and finally fighting him, nothing is more satisfying than refusing to fight and saving him from himself, really is the best game i've ever played.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)