SPOILERS! Blacephalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid this mon is going to have to carry hp fighting, in order not to die to tyranitar every time the opposing team has one.

252 SpA Life Orb Chandelure Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 255-302 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (85.6 - 102%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It does do a good amount of damage, but the odds of getting trapped while being locked into any other move because you got a kill, heavily hold this mon back. The rest of its moves and stats are actually very interesting, with being a better chandelure besides having nothing for ttar. It even has acces to trick and cm as well! I think this mon will be a threat in OU to any team who dont have a tyranitar. I vould see scarf, specs, life orb AND z mind blow be all working sets in OU due to its pretty good speed and amazing spatk. Very interested to see where this mon ends up in viability.

I'm afraid this mon is going to have to carry hp fighting, in order not to die to tyranitar every time the opposing team has one.

252 SpA Life Orb Chandelure Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 255-302 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (85.6 - 102%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It does do a good amount of damage, but the odds of getting trapped while being locked into any other move because you got a kill, heavily hold this mon back. The rest of its moves and stats are actually very interesting, with being a better chandelure besides having nothing for ttar. It even has acces to trick and cm as well! I think this mon will be a threat in OU to any team who dont have a tyranitar. I vould see scarf, specs, life orb AND z mind blow be all working sets in OU due to its pretty good speed and amazing spatk. Very interested to see where this mon ends up in viability.
It can not run HP fighting as any encounter with it will have at least 3 31 IVs.

Great offensive stats and typing but it's movepool is really shallow. It'll probably take Chandelure's niche in the OU metagame. Specs/Scarf/Z-move sets are solid choices. SubSplit or SubCM could be a decent stall breaker. Shame that Tyranitar stomps on it easily. However, you could pair it with something like Lopunny or Keldeo to deal with dark types.

A Specs set it's not that bad with Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, Psyshock, Knock/Trick.
Yeah TTar stops the dancing clown cold, but just because of that I don't see it impossible to thrive in USUM OU.

Not having access to any Fighting-type move, not even HP Fighting, is a huge bummer of Blacephalon, but it could run another kind of HP such as Ground or Grass which at least 2HKOes Tyranitar after rocks.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 146-174 (42.8 - 51%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If you are too desperate then this may be an answer...

This thing gets Psyshock to get by special walls. Hard to think of what can actually wall it besides Tyranitar.
You don't REALLY think a non-STAB neutral Psyshock will be dealing with special walls, do you? It's far too weak.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephelon Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 193-228 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I only got back into mons with SM so on PS! I never had to deal with skewed IVs for HPs. Does HP fighting have to have like poor IVs or something?

And yeah lol people always forget how Chansey is dumb bulky on the physical side too

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I only got back into mons with SM so on PS! I never had to deal with skewed IVs for HPs. Does HP fighting have to have like poor IVs or something?

And yeah lol people always forget how Chansey is dumb bulky on the physical side too
UBs get 3 perfect IVs but hp fighting allows for 2 at best.

Yes Tyranitar stops this thing cold, but apart from that it doesn't look too bad. Flame Charge lets it outrun the unboosted metagame, while you've got Beast Boost and 151 base Special Attack to clean with.

Blacephalon @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground / Substitute

Fire Blast is your strongest STAB. Shadow Ball has great coverage with it, only missing out on TTar. Ghostium Z gives you a strong nuke to kickstart Beast Boost. Hidden Power Ground OHKOes offensive Heatran after Stealth Rock. Substitute can be used to dodge Sucker Punches.

Scarf with fire blast, shadow ball, explosion, and trick seems like a decent set to me. Able to revenge kill volc from full with explosion. It's stabs are decent enough coverage by themselves and trick to cripple chansey or pex.

Beside the fact that this thing actually launches its own head mid-air and let it explode, I want to finally say thank you GF for giving us a cool new UB.
This thing is mind-blowing, litterally: 151 SpA and 107 Spe is crazy, you can make it max Spe and still boost its SpA after each kill, which is crazy if you see that has more SpA than Chandelure. It also has 127 Atk, but no moves to capitalize on bar Shadow Claw ( < Shadow Ball), and Return, Explosion, and Knock Off (the last one helping punishing switch-ins like Chansey/P2).

The thing is: this firecracker has way too much SpA, and Spe for what it has to do. Scarf Blacephalon cleans extraordinarly well after all Eviolites have been removed and after the foe has taken entry hazards damage; LO Blacephalon's damage output is insane and still fast, while Z sets are one-time nukes, or multi nukes if Firium Z on Mind Blow.

Unfortunately, dreams end when you see that this thing has worse defenses than an Hitmonlee, and is weak to Pursuit trap. It has 0 Fighting-type moves (like, why GF, Focus Blast is a freakin explosion of energy...), and not even HP Fighting is available. So Blacephalon will be murdered by Tyranitar with 0 issues, resisting both its STABs and boosting its SpD with the Sand. Finally, while 127 Atk is indeed cool, it has 0 decent physical STAB option bar Shadow Claw, and even Timid 0 IVs will take a lot of damage from Foul Play, considering it has pitiful Def and HP.

I think that an uncontrolled Blacephalon could potentially roast everything, but since Tyranitar is so common, then it will just burn up quickly and without doing great damages in return.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but everyone is going on about how Tyranitar walls this thing. While that is true, can Tyranitar safely switch in on a Z-Mind Blown and a follow up Mind Blown? I can't run calcs myself ATM so I can't honestly tell.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but everyone is going on about how Tyranitar walls this thing. While that is true, can Tyranitar safely switch in on a Z-Mind Blown and a follow up Mind Blown? I can't run calcs myself ATM so I can't honestly tell.
Assault Vest does easily. Even Choice Band has a good chance of surviving.

"Taking comfortably" is quite reductive:

252 SpA Blacephalon Inferno Overdrive (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Blacephalon Mind Blow (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 91-108 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

If you're lucky with both hits, Ttar will lose up to 73% HP, and kill it back with Crunch/Pursuit (not considering Mind Blow's recoil)

Assault Vest does easily. Even Choice Band has a good chance of surviving.
Even uninvested will always live it, thanks to Sand

Last edited:
"Taking comfortably" is quite reductive:

252 SpA Blacephalon Inferno Overdrive (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Blacephalon Mind Blow (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 91-108 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

If you're lucky with both hits, Ttar will lose up to 73% HP, and kill it back with Crunch/Pursuit

will almost always live it, thanks to Sand
Well I guess that's what teammates are for I suppose.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something just hit me. In the Battle Mansion, Triples were fun with Modest Scarf Eruption Typhlosion and Heat Wave Mega-Zard-Y, but in Battle Tree Doubles, the combo wasn't quite powerful enough and Mind Blown has the same power as Eruption. Also, Timid Scarf Blacephalon is faster than Scarf Chomp. I'm not sure if the 15% Power increase is that good though...

my approach for this mon is that if tyrant ar will become a common switch I'm gonna run z sunny day 3 attacks because most likely ttar will be sent out so u predict that by setting up sunny day negating sand so that you can proceed to click z mind blown 1 ko it through rocks. But if ur opponent chooses to switch out then u get free kill most likely (assuming heatran is not there) after that ur opponent might continues to send back in ttar with another stealth rock chip cuasing it to lose 25% in total and now u got hidden power fighting to ko it safely with the help of beast boost. Which is 2 kills in process. This is the only set that can save u from pursuit trap from ttar and only works if ttar is uninvested in spdef/hp
252+ SpA Chandelure Inferno Overdrive (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sun: 300-353 (87.9 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

my approach for this mon is that if tyrant ar will become a common switch I'm gonna run z sunny day 3 attacks because most likely ttar will be sent out so u predict that by setting up sunny day negating sand so that you can proceed to click z mind blown 1 ko it through rocks. But if ur opponent chooses to switch out then u get free kill most likely (assuming heatran is not there) after that ur opponent might continues to send back in ttar with another stealth rock chip cuasing it to lose 25% in total and now u got hidden power fighting to ko it safely with the help of beast boost. Which is 2 kills in process.
252+ SpA Chandelure Inferno Overdrive (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sun: 300-353 (87.9 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
It doesn't get HP Fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)