Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Ok, as I want to use Metagross (I'm a bit melancholic, and I use it in emerald for the battle front) I will start the team with Metagross and Tapu Lele. What about a tanky water pkmn to swap in vs fire? Maybe toxapex or gastrodon? And I think the 4th pkmn should be something fast as revenge killer, but I have no idea about what to use.

Thanks Coeur7 , by the moment this is my team:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Tapu Lele
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 244 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 28 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Gastrodon-East @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Stil not knowing what to use in 4th slot (maybe a dragon-type). What object can I give to Tapu Lele? Clear smog is a good option here? (Tapu Lele is from Eisens's VGC factory)
Thanks!

Hi, I'm totally new here but I've been lurking around for quite a while. I just recently picked up pokemon Moon and gave a try at the Battle Tree, and I managed to get a 129 win streak in Super Singles.

Here's the proof (language is Italian):
My team is just copied from Hamber's one, except for Scizor, so I've definitely not been much original there:

Garchomp (M) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Hitagi (Scizor) (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Confide
Ash-Greninja was there in place of Tapu Fini, but I needed a less squishy mon and something to take fighting moves, so Fini was definitely a better answer. Wasn't too sold on the Confide, until a Mega Audino ended my streak at around 42 wins, so yeah, lol.

But seriously, this team is easy mode. I don't have almost any familiarity with S/M, and yet I was able to get this far on my third run with these beasts. Well, there's not much more to say about the team since a lot of people have already used it, but yes it is that good.

For some stupid reason, it won't make me upload the video of my loss and I really don't understand why, since I was able to upload another battle in the same streak:
8JKW-WWWW-WWW9-595Y
which is a pretty close match I almost lost due to Rotom and its Grassium Z. Being faster than him paid back at the end.

Now on the loss itself:

I was against Dexio, which should be an easy win given how predictable he is, right? Well yes, that would be right if you weren't as careless as me.

First mon is Braviary, and I lead with a substitute to scout for a scarfed U-Turn. He instead uses Tail Wind, so I sub again while he Brave Birds to stall it out, then one-shot him with my Z-move.

Next one is Alola-Ninetales. Now, my policy with Ice opponents was usually to switch to Fini and then set up with Hitagi, but this Ninetales has Freeze-Dry. Not that it does much to Fini anyways, but you know, I can just one shot him with priority Bullet Punch, so no big deal. As I switch to Hitagi, I get frozen.
"Ahah, well, it's not gonna do much anyways"
To my increasing horror, Hitagi doesn't thaw out. It just won't. After other 7 turns, I get into Ice Shard range and die.
So I switch to Fini and 3HKO it with Moon Blast, taking like 2/3s of HP from both the Freeze Dries. Here I realized how much of an idiot I was.

Last one is Turtonator, and I'm already wiping sweat from my forehead. But the bastard survives the Moon Blast with, like, 1 HP, and Shell Smashes. Then he crits with Fire Blast, and Fini is dead. Poor Garchomp had no chance with him being at +2.

So yeah, that's it. Don't underestimate ice moves, kids.

If not having provided the video is a big deal, I can work around it. I do have it saved, but it just won't make me upload it. It's driving me crazy, because it's hilariously sad to watch

Last edited:
Lele's item should "always" be Psychium Z in the Tree, unless you have sufficient reason to slot the Z-crystal on somebody else. Shattered Psyche unresisted is an OHKO, full stop (well, not on Blissey).
I highly disagree.

Without Scarf, Lele's speed tier is mediocre at best, and even at Timid, without Tailwind, does get outsped and 1hkod by far too many threats, on top of posing risk of flinches and crit KOs.

To mention some:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Aerodactyl-Mega Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 170-200 (116.4 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 168-200 (115 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 256-304 (175.3 - 208.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 169-199 (115.7 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 144-170 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

...list continues.

By using non scarf lele and basically giving up any sort of Fake Out support, you are asking for beign RNGd to death.

The main difference of pairing Phero with Lele is that you both are not doubling into ghost weakness (which is a big deal) while also having a speedy frontline who can 1hko or 2hko the threats that threaten Phero and who is free to Protect.

I've personally ran Z-Lele/Gross for a while (missagross memes never fail), Smuckem managed to get 130 wins with that same team while i failed at 70 or so I believe. I actually lost vs Mega Gengar who 1v4 swept my team, since i mispredicted and Protected Lele while it went for Metagross instead, and after that I had nothing that could kill it before it deleted my entire team.
Overally, Scarf is more reliable since psychic on psychic terrain still 1hkos most stuff.
In order to run something that's not scarf, you need to pair it with a lead that can deal with the faster threats, which unfortunately is not M-Metagross.

I've also tried Psychium Lele/Metagross-M, and lost at roughly 100, due partially to my lack of ORAS and being forced to use Meteor Mash for STAB. It's as fun as the "memes" would suggest (but how is it a "meme" to point out that Metagross' inaccurate Psychic STAB makes for another subtle argument in favour of Scarf?)
Actually, the meme was because of the specific Metagross I was running.
It ran Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, Rock Slide and Hammer Arm. So not a single 100% accuracy move.

Actually, the meme was because of the specific Metagross I was running.
It ran Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, Rock Slide and Hammer Arm. So not a single 100% accuracy move.
Dunno 'bout that Rock Slide but the rest o' that Metagross is totally my bread n' butter lol

Well I mean, Smuckem managed to get that comp to 130 or so wins, and he only lost cause he accidentally turned off his 3DS.
Maybe I should give that missagross another go :P

Sadly I can't actually remember which the other 2 members were :(

Currently building a team that looks like this
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 204 Atk / 20 Def / 36 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Speed Swap
- Bug Buzz
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 220 HP / 148 Def / 84 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave

Any thoughts or ideas of what I should use?

Last edited:
Edit: TIL that only Power Swap changes boosts and only boosts. Apparently Speed Swap switches the stat itself.

The main problem Aggron will have is its raw power, which is respectable but underwhelming. Since you of all people have no problem venturing way outside the box, what about Hone Claws? I know HC is something of a meme amongst serious players, but it'd allow Aggron to use Iron Tail and Stone Edge, which will kill things far better (albeit only singularly.)

I was going to suggest Mega Mawile for more constant power, but that nugget has already been featured on a handful of teams. If you're willing to try a few megas, there's also Ampharos and Garchomp, which hit hard as fuck right out of the gate and would love Pheromosa's speed.

As for Pheromosa, uninvested Poison Jab really isn't going to do anything for it, so you might as well put a fighting attack in there, or even Lunge, if you'd rather neuter something you anticipate harming Aggron.

Last edited:
Edit: TIL that only Power Swap changes boosts and only boosts. Apparently Speed Swap switches the stat itself.

The main problem Aggron will have is its raw power, which is respectable but underwhelming. Since you of all people have no problem venturing way outside the box, what about Hone Claws? I know HC is something of a meme amongst serious players, but it'd allow Aggron to use Iron Tail and Stone Edge, which will kill things far better (albeit only singularly.)

I was going to suggest Mega Mawile for more constant power, but that nugget has already been featured on a handful of teams. If you're willing to try a few megas, there's also Ampharos and Garchomp, which hit hard as fuck right out of the gate and would love Pheromosa's speed.

As for Pheromosa, uninvested Poison Jab really isn't going to do anything for it, so you might as well put a fighting attack in there, or even Lunge, if you'd rather neuter something you anticipate harming Aggron.
I never thought of Mega Ampharos. Now I'm planning on building around that. It's Special Attack is Amazing. Would you recommend Cotton Guard, I am thinking Thunder and Dragon Pulse and Protect but have trouble finding more moves but can't think of a fourth move. Also Do you think Ludicolo would be a good replacement over thundurus if I ran Mega Ampharos?

I never thought of Mega Ampharos. Now I'm planning on building around that. It's Special Attack is Amazing. Would you recommend Cotton Guard, I am thinking Thunder and Dragon Pulse and Protect but have trouble finding more moves but can't think of a fourth move. Also Do you think Ludicolo would be a good replacement over thundurus if I ran Mega Ampharos?
Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse and Power Gem. I use Focus Blast on mine as well, but it was built for Gravity teams. Mold Breaker is an extremely useful ability and not many pokes can claim to OHKO Multiscale Dragonite.

As for Ludicolo, it's lacking in the muscle department (by the way, anything you'd want to hit with HP Grass will take much more damage from Grass Knot, which Thundurus learns.)

Tapu Lele is usually pretty standard. 252 spd/spatk, timid (even if scarfed), moonblast + psychic, with other 2 options depending on preference (Shadow Ball for coverage, Psyshock to kill special walls, Dazzling Gleam for spread damage, Protect if not choice are the most common options).
Z-psychium for the 1 time nuke, LO/specs for damage, or scarf to rely on terrain for damage and outspeed and 1hko most non-scarfer in tree (expecially alakazam/gengar who'd otherwise threaten)

I just hit 100 in Super Doubles with :

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Detect

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Arcanine @ Electrium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Protect

How I (stupidly) died : UMWG-WWWW-WWW9-5K4G

One of the funniest play : DAFG-WWWW-WWW9-5K5F

Last edited:
Hi, I'm totally new here but I've been lurking around for quite a while. I just recently picked up pokemon Moon and gave a try at the Battle Tree, and I managed to get a 129 win streak in Super Singles.

Here's the proof (language is Italian):

My team is just copied from Hamber's one, except for Scizor, so I've definitely not been much original there:

Ash-Greninja was there in place of Tapu Fini, but I needed a less squishy mon and something to take fighting moves, so Fini was definitely a better answer. Wasn't too sold on the Confide, until a Mega Audino ended my streak at around 42 wins, so yeah, lol.

But seriously, this team is easy mode. I don't have almost any familiarity with S/M, and yet I was able to get this far on my third run with these beasts. Well, there's not much more to say about the team since a lot of people have already used it, but yes it is that good.

For some stupid reason, it won't make me upload the video of my loss and I really don't understand why, since I was able to upload another battle in the same streak:
8JKW-WWWW-WWW9-595Y
which is a pretty close match I almost lost due to Rotom and its Grassium Z. Being faster than him paid back at the end.

Now on the loss itself:

I was against Dexio, which should be an easy win given how predictable he is, right? Well yes, that would be right if you weren't as careless as me.

First mon is Braviary, and I lead with a substitute to scout for a scarfed U-Turn. He instead uses Tail Wind, so I sub again while he Brave Birds to stall it out, then one-shot him with my Z-move.

Next one is Alola-Ninetales. Now, my policy with Ice opponents was usually to switch to Fini and then set up with Hitagi, but this Ninetales has Freeze-Dry. Not that it does much to Fini anyways, but you know, I can just one shot him with priority Bullet Punch, so no big deal. As I switch to Hitagi, I get frozen.
"Ahah, well, it's not gonna do much anyways"
To my increasing horror, Hitagi doesn't thaw out. It just won't. After other 7 turns, I get into Ice Shard range and die.
So I switch to Fini and 3HKO it with Moon Blast, taking like 2/3s of HP from both the Freeze Dries. Here I realized how much of an idiot I was.

Last one is Turtonator, and I'm already wiping sweat from my forehead. But the bastard survives the Moon Blast with, like, 1 HP, and Shell Smashes. Then he crits with Fire Blast, and Fini is dead. Poor Garchomp had no chance with him being at +2.

So yeah, that's it. Don't underestimate ice moves, kids.

If not having provided the video is a big deal, I can work around it. I do have it saved, but it just won't make me upload it. It's driving me crazy, because it's hilariously sad to watch
How can your Scizor get frozen in misty terrain?

He did not have Fini out yet, he said he leads with Garchomp. Misty terrain doesnt magically heal status condictions that are already active :P

Oh, I thought he switched to Fini, got hit by a freeze-dry and then switched to scizor.
Yeah, I could've probably worded that better lol. What you said would've been the right thing to do, but I didn't bother calculating Freeze-Dry's damage, so just knowing that Ninetales had it made me choose Scizor instead; an unnecessary risk I didn't have to take

My first team that got me 51 wins I believe. Note that this team does not use a Mega, so it is slightly harder and more punishing to use especially after the 40+ mark.

Krookodile @ Groundium Z
Level: 100
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Spe / 56 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpD
Naive Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Protect

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Snarl

Swalot (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Sludge Wave

If you want to lead with Scrafty for the Fake Out that's fine. The two openings that I used most often were Scrafty + Krook and go for the Tectonic OHKO, or Swallot and Empoleon and spam Sludge Waves. Its really preference. Swallot + Krook is also doable, with both spamming their aoe moves while the other protects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)