Battle Tested. Ready for rate.

What do you think?

• Total voters
Team Building

When I got the idea for this team, I knew I wanted to start off with a pokemon with a high base attack for a lead-off explosion that has a high chance to take 2 foes out for the price of one. So, naturally I chose Gigalith.

After Gigalith, I was in need of a poke that can OHKO potential threats to Gigalith such as all of the 5gen options of fighting types with the wide guard move (Kojondo for example).Also, he was chosen because of his
awesome ability to use the move tailwind in a very fast method involving it's ability Mischievous Heart that enables it to speed up the use non-damaging moves.

With Tornelos's tailwind I thought the obvious choice for my next poke would have to be Ononokusu. Whether it be his amazing attack stat or the solid STAB choices, he is easily one of the most powerful Dragon types in the 5th generation (not to mention tailwind's speed bonus).

Another poke that could hugely take advantage of tailwind is Burungeru.
He can also provide some major type coverage with his Shadow ball, Ice beam, and Water spout moves.

A Closer Look

Gigalith @ Normal Jewel
Brave
252 HP/252 Attack/6 Sp. Def
Sturdy
-Explosion
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Protect

Tornelos @ Flight Jewel
Jolly
6HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Mischievous Heart
-Acrobat
-Tailwind
-Taunt
-Protect

With these two starters I (most likely) will want to accomplish two things.One being Destroy the foe's two starters and any hopes the foe has of setting up a strategy.The next, to set up tailwind.The last, taunt/OHKO pokes with wideguard.

Ononokusu @ Haban Berry
Adamant
156HP/252 Attack/102 Sp. Def
Mold Breaker
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Protect

Burungeru @ Water Jewel
Modest
6 HP/252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed
Water Absorb
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Recover

Once I have my tailwind in effect and (hopefully) both the foe's starter pokes are down, my goodstuff pokes are perfectly set up to come into play beside Tornelos and perform an effective sweep.

Last Look

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Why run Gigaith in a tailwind team? And more imporantly, why run a brave Gigaith in a Trick Room Team? I'm going to restructure your team completely, assuming you want to use Gigaith to the best of its abilities.

In order to work, Gigaith needs Trick Room support, as it's too slow to outspeed anything even in Tailwind. You have a couple of options for Trick Room support, but the best for Gigaith is definetely Mushaana, as it doesn't need to protect while Gigaith explodes, due to Telapathy. Change Burungeru's nature to Quiet and change the Ev's to 252HP/252Sp.A/4Sp.D. Honestly, even in Tailwind max Speed Burungeru is a bad idea. Since Ononokusu is shit in Trick Room, replace it with a TR attacker that takes advantage of Trick Room, namely Zuruzukin and Flame Orb Roobushin. Roobushin is more offensive and can destroy the majority of the metagame with a guts boosted Drain Punch, while Zuruzukin has more bulk at the cost of some attack. However, for your team I think that Zuruzukin will work better due to the added bonus of Fake Out, allowing Burungeru to survive with a larger chunk of health and fire off more Powerful Water Spouts.

On the Other hand, if you want to run a Tailwind team, then this is my rate. Gigaith doesn't outspeed anything even in Tailwind, so drop it. Instead, try a faster exploder that can utilize the same moveset: Randorosu. 4HP/252Atk/252Spe w/ either Jolly or Adamant nature provides your team with an exploder that can actually be used well in Tailwind. I don't know what you're going to outspeed with Ononokusu, pokemon still need speed Ev's in order to be fast, Tailwind won't do all the work for you. Especially with a frail poke like Onono, it needs Speed since it isn't worth it to invest in it's bulk. Change your Ev's to standard sweeper, 252/252 w/ Adamant nature. Also, your team doesn't utilize a focus sash, so why not replace that over Haban Berry on Ononokusu. Haban Berry is useless considering LO Sazandora OHKO's with DM. On Burungeru, 252 HP Ev's on Burungeru is a must in order for it to keep it's bulk, as unlike Ononokusu, it's more important for Burungeru to take hits than outspeed threats. In tailwind, you have the unique opportunity of utilizing Choice Specs Burungeru well, so you may want to consider that over water jewel. However, this a minor change and is more up to what you think is right for your team.

Thank you for your advice/constructive criticism. It's appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

A tailwind team? First, congrats for being, like, the first person here to post one. But, if I'm honest, it could be much better. For starters, Tornelos is cut off by Erufuun far too easily. To combat this, you might want to consider running a Fake Outer > Gigalith, like Zuruzukin, or Kojondo. This means that your team isn't completely stopped by Kojondo/Erufuun (although if you choose Zuruzukin, it can still stop Tailwind). Gigalith wasn't going to help much anyway, considering the number of fighting/water/ground attacks that dominate the metagame. That's all I have that wasn't already suggested by kingofkongs.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A tailwind team? First, congrats for being, like, the first person here to post one. But, if I'm honest, it could be much better. For starters, Tornelos is cut off by Erufuun far too easily. To combat this, you might want to consider running a Fake Outer > Gigalith, like Zuruzukin, or Kojondo. This means that your team isn't completely stopped by Kojondo/Erufuun (although if you choose Zuruzukin, it can still stop Tailwind). Gigalith wasn't going to help much anyway, considering the number of fighting/water/ground attacks that dominate the metagame. That's all I have that wasn't already suggested by kingofkongs.
Tornelos is not cut off by Erufuun, as far as I'm concerned. If you think it can Taunt it, that's what Mental Herb is for. (and the fact that Tornelos' STAB KOs Erufuun and Erufuun can't do anything back) If he only wants Tornelos to set up TW, then Focus Sash is not needed.

As for the team, Brave Gigaiasu in TW is LOL, definitely change that to Adamant, or go for Speed with Jolly. Ononokusu needs 252 HP, instead of splitting it with SpD, so it can take Special and Physical hits. For Tornelos I would suggest a set of Timid/252 SpA/Air Slash>Acrobat and Mental Herb, since Erufuun apparently stops Tornelos cold. 9.9 Since you will have Mental Herb you won't be able to power up your Acrobat, and you might not lose you item so it could do less damage. Other than that the team looks a-ok to me.

Yeah, Mental Herb is hell better than Flying jewel if you don't want to auto-lose to Kojondo/Erufuun. Air Slash over Acrobat in that case. And Ono is way better off with more speed. But altogether, using a faster pokemon over Gigaith or running TR is better.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
The point of Tailwind is that it's not IMPERATIVE for you to set it up all the time. If Erufuun is going to Taunt me, great, I'm going to OHKO it back. I might not have my field effect going, but I'm 4-3 up and that's decisive.

Not all the time. Kojondo can still break Sturdy with Fake Out and KO it with HJK. It's all about what you do with your 1-up advantage that determines the game. Besides, Tailwind is still a great asset, and with a frail poke like ono, Tailwind is incredibly useful, and losing it may lose you your ono.

Going to ask a potentially stupid question since I haven't played the games myself yet (UPS is slacking delivering my game). Prankster gives Tailwind +1 priority, correct? If you Tailwind, does it take effect immediately and move your other pokemon up (potentially) in the turn order, or is the move order already set at that point and it doesn't actually do anything until the *following* turn?

LOL No I meant I just haven't played B/W yet, and I never used Tailwind before.

I placed 3rd at the Chicago JAA several years back and 2nd at the Cincinnati one (stupid parahax cost me the title :\ ) and I've played casually since then. Just didn't know this particular situation and didn't have a chance to test it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)