Battle Spot Triples Metagame Discussion

Here I am, now wondering about something. I'm now waiting for Theorymon until he's well from allergy. I wonder, what does Talonflame have over Tornadus? I'm thinking to try replacing my Heatnix over several reason, such as no intimidate worries, but I need to know what does this firebird has over him. I'm thinking to make atypical team denying TR.

And I realised most of those firebird are also made quite defensive on my past plays. I wonder what EV spread would be good for this tornado.

In a good news, I broke through 1700 in Triples. But somehow, Round song (?) Team suddenly got popular with Nyaonix's priority Assist and back up of STAB abusing, Type Skin Round and no other moves. Twice I faced them and I've almost been had in both game. Both players are also in their 1600 rate, so this is quite are viable tactic as well.

At least there's some variety than the ever famous CHALK team. I'll upload them again when ins have time.

Hey guys, its been awhile! I recently did some laddering on ORAS and XY Triples, and I'll be posting them shortly, but as part of metagame discussion, I wanted you guys to take note of using Azumarill instead of Politoed on a Perish Trap team. I fought and lost against it, so I don't know what all its moves were, but I bet it was similar to the Flash Clash set, with Protect and Dive. I'll post a replay soon.

Playing at night to dawn in Triples actually reduced my points. Some of really good players out there. Just fought Dany from Portugal again and lost, but the battle was more exciting than facing the generic Trick Room or Dark Void or CHALK or Capoera. We both has chance to win and it's all up to decisions and predicting opponent, and I admit he had always been able to predict my moves very well, one last win only because of luck in his misplay. That makes it 2-2. Other time, I've been had by other Japanese who don't sleep too. And a good USA player that I think he'd probably come from Smogon too.

Maybe some of us should try to practice with each other?

Using Torneros had quite a drawback, though, since his attack is not prioritised unlike the firebird, making my team completely susceptible to Swift Swim team, especially that dancing pineapple, and critical situations where Priority attack would've helped me. And I don't know if I should run Snatch too, but move limit with priority Rain Dance to fight prominent sun teams and mandatory Tailwind....

Tried playing again and score plummeted. It seems like I have never seen MegaZardon anymore. I almost never seen Sun team anymore, while Rain team became more popular. There may be a shift in the metagame now with the previous Sun team declining in popularity...

... and thanks to that I fell so hard as my Torneros isn't suited to crash the enemies unlike Fiarrow/Talonflame.

Last edited:
PsychicAcademic Yeah! Good idea! I'd love to have a Triples battle with you.

Honestly, have been busy breeding new Pokemon, haven't played Triples super recently, but I'll definitely look around my Vs. Recorder, and post some matches later.

What's the official Showdown! ladder for this meta? Because I've struggled to find matches in the Battle Spot one, but find matches regularly on the Smogon Triples one (seen the same people a lot, but that's ok).

What's the official Showdown! ladder for this meta? Because I've struggled to find matches in the Battle Spot one, but find matches regularly on the Smogon Triples one (seen the same people a lot, but that's ok).
As much as I hate to admit it, the PS Battlespot Triples ladder is really reaaally deserted. It'll take you about a half hour to find each match, usually. You might be better off trying to find the few people here who do care about Triples a lot. if you're ever around on PS, I'll gladly accept a Triple Battle!

In any case, don't give up! Just find a solid activity to do while you wait for a ladder match. I'll try to give it a shot occasionally, too.

Bumpity bump bump --

I don't know what precipitated it (a tournament?), but Choice Scarf Smeargle has definitely become a recent staple of the Japanese meta. It's shot up to 60-some percent usage on PGL and since I've been running a Frisk Pokemon, I think nearly every one I've encountered is running it, both on Battle Spot and among Japanese users on the Showdown ladder. A heads up for those playing. Dark Void will come out if it's safe, obviously, but it's often used to get a faster Fake Out during setup.

Also, a reminder that anyone looking to learn Triples should just hop on the in-game Battle Spot ladder with whatever doubles Pokemon they have and start feeling things out, in addition to looking at Japanese resources. Save videos, analyze and copy teams you like, etc. Neither Showdown ladder is useful experience most of the time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)