Battle of the Week \m/

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Today was going through the RMT archive and reading about Obi's old stall team, and got to thinking, "I wonder who would win, Obi's stall team or IPL's?". I have always been curious to see some really good battlers face each other, but sadly this only really happens in tournaments, and not very often.

Well, how about a Battle of the Week? People could nominate battlers (and specific theme teams even, ie. stall, offensive, etc.) kinda like how the Well works in Firebot, and once a week we could hype up the battle, and even record it and put it up on Youtube with commentaries.

Any thoughts? I have spoken to some users on IRC (EW, panamaxis, m0nkfish) and they seem to like it.

edit: m0nkfish came up with it first!

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I approve of this idea. It would attract a lot of attention to the YouTube channel. What's better than watching two great players using two great teams?

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad to see people like this idea. :)

Would we want to put it as a sticky thread in the Tournaments section? or in Stark Mountain?

haunter

Banned deucer.
I like the idea too. Wouldn't an announcement in both Stark and Tournaments (and why not, RMT too) be a better idea? After all, this is not a tournament.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, great idea, I'm surprised that no one has thought of this before, and no I haven't either. Of course, I don't think it should be advertised as"obi's stall team vs ipl's stall team" unless they are forced to use a selected team, which I assume they aren't? Let's get this started asap, shouldn't take too long to get started right?

It seems like this idea got all praise (at least in the thread) and no opposition, so I decided to post what I came up with.

Firstly, I think everyone is in favour of the players choosing what team they want to use rather than people picking an RMT or famous team or whatever (possibly with some exceptions?) and I think I'm in favour of this as well.

Secondly, we need to work out how this will work. There are many possible ways to do this, and the best first step I can think of is a nominations thread where the top 10 get put into a poll, then the winner of that poll gets to play in the next 'round'. After that there are a number of things we can do (and these are in no particular order and this is not an exhaustive list):

1) Start another poll where we list potential match-ups for that player and have people vote on which match-up they want to see.
2) Have that player play against the 2nd placed user in the first poll.
3*) Have that user play an 'ongoing champ', i.e. the person who won from last week - maybe Max could play this role first since he posted the idea here in the first place!

Nobody seems opposed to having this run in Tournaments (which KG suggested), so we will probably run it there. The obvious alternative is Stark but this seems more appropriate to the Competitive section.

The Smog and the Youtube channel operation can definitely get interesting things out of this as well.

We should work out the rules, how to handle scheduling and no-shows, and exactly who will be in charge of this (I will if there isn't anyone else that wants to) also.

Does anyone have any criticisms / comments / suggestions?

*Idea suggested by Gouki

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I like ideas 2 and 3. The difference between the two is fundamental. Do we want this to be the viewer's choice (idea 2) or have it be more of a competition to see who can be the longest lasting competitor (idea 3)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)