Let's Play! Battle Factory for fun and BP!

Hello hello and welcome to this let's play! It's nothing fancy - no pictures of the game or anything, but expect to see some wacky in-game stuff!

This LP is going to be done in a chunk - by chunk basis as I do the sections of 7 the Battle Factory, listed below:
Section 1 - Level 50
Section 2 - Open Level
Section 3 - Open Level
Section 4 - Open Level

Another thing I'll be doing is a "Hall of Fame" system - the best from each set of 7 will be given a nickname, described in detail, and sent to the hall of fame, which is found in the next post.

So, without further ado let's begin!

Section 1 - Level 50
I'm going to start this series with a Level 50 battle streak, although Open Level is my favorite format. This is because I already have an ongoing streak in Open Level, and I would like to start each format with a fresh start ^_^. For this particular series I'll be using HeartGold (although I may switch to Emerald for some sections).
The first thing I'm told is that I can expect to see Chinchou, Corsola, and Dunsparce on my first opponent's name. My options for a team are Treecko/Flaaffy/Mudkip/Bonsly/Chatot/Parasect. Parasect doesn't have spore, and it's only attacking moves are Bug Bite, Grass Knot, and Scratch, all of which are underwhelming in this format, so he's out. Treecko looks to utilize Flash/Double Team for evasion hax, along with Swift to prevent said evasion hax on itself as well as Mega Drain to attack. He looks like a keeper. Flaaffy has a good Sp. Atk as well as Light Screen, Shock Wave, Swift, and Thunder Wave, which looks like a decent enough set. I'll take Mudkip along just for Icy Wind/Water Pulse/Mud-Slap coverage, but for now it seems like swap bait. Chatot seems underwhelming, and Bonsly looks good except Low Kick and Copycat is always a gamble, so I'm not risking it.
Now, I'm not going to go through most things - I'll illustrate swaps as well as AI weirdness and close battles, so this shouldn't be too much of a word-wall.
Well, battle one has my first thing - Dunsparce is unexpectedly powerful, but with Duskull, Wailmer, and Kabuto up next I'm not going to take it.

Up next is battle 2 for some battle weirdness. Duskull kicks off the battle with Confuse Ray, then Pain Splits a bunch, and I don't get a single attack in until I die...the turn he actually chooses to use Shadow Sneak. He did use Confuse Ray while I was confused, which is just....weird. I don't get this AI sometimes. Flaaffy finished off the rest of the battle quite easily. Up next is Cyndaquil, Swablu, and Onix, and I swapped out Mudkip for Wailmer for a little more tankiness and perhaps a little more power, so we'll see how that goes.

The Cyndaquil decides a Swift is better than a Flame Wheel first turn against Treecko, and then when Wailmer takes it out (totally the right choice to take it, BTW), he sends out Onix instead of Swablu....why? Well, I'm starting to see the reason now. That Female Swablu used Attract on my Female, Oblivious Wailmer. Twice in a row. I don't even know anymore what this AI is thinking. Up next I see Clefairy, Shedninja, and Larvitar, so I really need to make sure I have someone who can harm it...and I don't. It looks like I'll need to make a swap, but I'm not sure which. If I decide to swap out Treecko, I'm left with an iffy odds of keeping Cyndaquil until Shedninja without a switch. If I decide to do Flaaffy I miss out on valuable coverage and power, and Wailmer is just generally good, and a valuable SE on Larvitar. I think I'll take out Treecko, and then switch to Flaaffy for Clefairy.

Cyndaquil has Double Kick, so I think I'm going to risk it on the Clefairy...Cyndaquil outspeeds and does about half health to Clefairy, but is infatuated by Cute Charm. Clefairy misses, then tries an encore on an infatuation turn, then does 50 out of my 99 HP with Wake-up Slap. Unable to risk it, I switched to Wailmer and took it out after a double Follow Me...in singles. OK. I switch to Flaaffy to feel out Shedninja, who uses Fury Cutter. Static Paralyzes, so I feel safe switching into Cyndaquil. Unfortunately, Shedninja uses Confuse Ray, so I switch to Wailmer (who tanks a crit fury cutter like a boss), then to Flaaffy then to Cyndaquil, who takes a crit fury cutter (18 damage lol), and takes it home with Flame Wheel. Phew.

Next battle is uneventful, Cyndaquil takes out a Teddiursa with Double Kick, I switch to Flaaffy for a Carvanah who uses Scary Face on the switch and again the turn after, because apparently Flaaffy has to be reeeeally slow, and Dunsparce is strong.

Cyndaquil sweeps the next battle practically by itself with Flame Wheel, only really eventful part is Mime Jr. Deciding a copycat Flame Wheel was more important than the move which dealt a sizable amount of damage to Cyndaquil (I think lol, I wasn't paying much attention XD)

Next battle could be dicey. Mightyena, Sharpedo, and Croconaw. Cyndaquil is probably going to be nigh useless here, so I switch it out for a Nuzleaf from the last battle. I switch out to Wailmer to help with Mightyena...who just Roars back to Nuzleaf. Whoo? Mightyena then tries Bite (anticipating the switch, perhaps? :P), which unfortunately 2KHOS Wailmer. It looks like Nuzleaf is the only viable option, as I'm saving Flaaffy for Sharpedo and Croconaw. Mightyena Howls and then goes for the bite, again, which does 80 HP, leaving me with 81, then KOs. All that's left is Flaaffy...but Mightyena Howls and lets Flaaffy finish the KO w/ Shock Wave. Flaaffy OHKOs Sharpedo (who used Focus Energy), and OKHOs Croconaw with a crit after Croconaw reduced it to 44 HP with a crit Slash. That was close, but also wraps up this streak of seven!

Our MVP today is (drumroll please!)...Flaaffy!

Flaaffy (Laaffy (Pronounced Laugh-y)) (Lvl. 50, battles 1-7)
Forgot to check Held Item, whoops :P/Static
Shock Wave
Thunder Wave
Swift
??? (Again, forgot to check, never used it :P)

Laaffy (No one ever accused me of being clever) was chosen as the nickname because its front sprite in HG looks kind of like it's laughing and I seriously had no idea what to do with the name. Anyway, this thing took out the mons like a boss. Shock Wave off of ~116 Sp. Atk is nothing to sneeze at (well, when fighting against mostly non-FE or terrible single-stage mons), and Laaffy took its share of hits and was a general good performer. Also the only pokemon from the original three in this group of 7 that made it through to the end.

Last edited:
The Hall of Fame
(Sprites from Bulbapedia)

Flaaffy (Laaffy (Pronounced Laugh-y)) (Lvl. 50, battles 1-7)
Forgot to check Held Item, whoops :P/Static
Shock Wave
Thunder Wave
Swift
??? (Again, forgot to check, never used it :P)

Laaffy (No one ever accused me of being clever) was chosen as the nickname because its front sprite in HG looks kind of like it's laughing and I seriously had no idea what to do with the name. Anyway, this thing took out the mons like a boss. Shock Wave off of ~116 Sp. Atk is nothing to sneeze at (well, when fighting against mostly non-FE or terrible single-stage mons), and Laaffy took its share of hits and was a general good performer. Also the only pokemon from the original three in this group of 7 that made it through to the end.

Rapidash (Napidash) (Open Level battles 1-7)
Chesto Berry/Flash Fire
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Sunny Day
Rest
Napidash was a great first mon. Named Napidash for the ChestoRest set it ran, it worked surprisingly well. Sunny Day boosts all your attacks and weakens water SE moves, which is a help. Solarbeam takes out Ground, Rock, and Water types, which is great because mons such as Quagsire really hate the Solarbeam. The set is fairly straightforward to play - Sunny Day up first, if your health is low/bad status/whatever use Rest, then just hit the opposing mons with your moves. Slightly vulnerable to accuracy hax but a reliable enough partner to see you through the matches.

Lucario (Critical Mass) (Open Level battles 8-14)
Inner Focus/Scope Lens
Cross Chop
Stone Edge
ThunderPunch
Ice Punch
Alright, so I didn't make the "Critcario" pun I wanted to, because by now it's just getting old and Critcario just sounds lame. Instead, Critical Mass because Critical Hit "pun" and...well, why not? Either way, Critical Mass swept most of his streak of battles by himself. He was extremely effective and with his Scope Lens dealt out Critical Hits like they were going out of style...and, well, they kind of are, what with Gen VI changing Crits and all. Critical Mass was, as I said before, extremely effective. Hit like a truck, took hits, everything. I can't help but love him, and you should too. the playstyle is easy enough to pick up; use a Super Effective move, or Cross Chop (if it doesn't resist). Occasionally using an elemental punch to avoid accuracy hax is cool too, so don't be afraid to do so.

Last edited:
Well, my Open Level streak died, so it's time for an Open Level update!
Section 2 - Open Level
After one restart in which I did not check my opponent's team beforehand (oops!), it's time to get serious and start.
We can expect to see Vileplume, Magmortar, and Porygon2. I find it a little interesting that it's Porygon2 and not PorygonZ, but whatever I guess.
For our team we're looking at Electivire/Lopunny/Weezing/Milotic/Rapidash/Umbreon. Rapidash is out first (ChestoRest/Sunny Day Solarbeam + Fire Blast) to take care of Vileplume. Milotic comes out to handle Magmortar, and Electivire is general good backup and has Cross Chop for Porygon2 and whatever else good moves.
Haha, Magmortar used Fire Blast on Rapidash. It ate a Sun boosted Flash Fire Critical Hit Fire Blast the next turn. Sucker didn't live after that. Next is Hypno/Granbull/Quagsire, so no mon trade, as I think Rapidash can handle this all easily.
Hypno just used Fling twice in a row....Perhaps it tried to fling its little charm thing? Oh well, that let me get away with setting up sun and using Rest, so cool, I guess. Quagsire ate a Solarbeam, and even Rindo Berry (weakens grass SE moves) didn't save it from death. Granbull went out quickly, so no surprise there. Up next is the PorygonZ I was waiting for, a Dragonite, and a Glaceon, so I guess I'll try a switch to Electivire ->Rapidash/Milotic (depending on what comes out), then the other of Rapidash/Milotic to mop up.
Ended up keeping Electivire in for Glaceon, and I'm glad I did, as it used Water Pulse straight away...perhaps anticipating the switch? Whatever, it Baton Passed right after that...and Dragonite just tried Aerial Ace while I was switching to Milotic, which isn't that bad until you realize it tried to do that to Electivire. Claydol/Magnezone/Vileplume up next, so shouldn't be a big deal.
Claydol just used Zen Headbutt on Rapidash. Does it not have a ground type move? Well, not that it mattered, as a crit took out Rapidash anyway. I tried to mop up with Electivire (Mistake), as Cross Chop is NVE, and it got Trick Room up. Vileplume Sleep Powdered Electivire and then took it out. It luckily didn't use Giga Drain on Milotic, and now TR is undone, so I'm left with Milotic V Magnezone. I try a hypnosis, which hits, and keeps it asleep whilst I surf it to death. Phew...that was close. Next is Rampardos/Drifliblim/Poliwrath, so another should-be easy battle.
Yup. Milotic OHKOs Rampardos with Surf, Electivire takes out the rest. Poliwrath used Double Team, which didn't effect the battle as it was OHKOd anyway, and Drifliblim used Endure to activate Salac Berry, but was still outsped by Electivire. Jolteon/Tauros/Hypno next, so really shouldn't be an issue.
Jolteon outspeeds me to use Agility, then Thunder Waves me. Tauros used Scary Face (apparently paralyzed isn't slow enough), and does it again after I rest. It pursuits a couple of times but ehhh negligible damage. Shockingly, Rapidash still outspeeds Hypno for an OHKO with a crit, sun boosted Fire Blast. Claydol/Ampharos/Flareon next, Milotic should take those pretty easily, so we'll see how it goes.
The veteran claims his precious pokemon will set me right....but doesn't he have to use battle factory mons? Is it only me? I know the frontier brain uses battle factory mons. Anyway, Milotic takes out Claydol easily enough, and I get a Motor Drive from the electric move on the switch to Electivire, Crit Cross Chop to OHKO the Ampharos (Static happened but whatever), then back to Milotic who took two Sand Attacks (one on switch, miss on an Endure turn, another one), and OHKOs Flareon with Surf.
Our MVP is....Rapidash!
Rapidash (Napidash) (Open Level battles 1-7)
Chesto Berry/Flash Fire
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Sunny Day
Rest
Napidash was a great first mon. Named Napidash for the ChestoRest set it ran, it worked surprisingly well. Sunny Day boosts all your attacks and weakens water SE moves, which is a help. Solarbeam takes out Ground, Rock, and Water types, which is great because mons such as Quagsire really hate the Solarbeam. The set is fairly straightforward to play - Sunny Day up first, if your health is low/bad status/whatever use Rest, then just hit the opposing mons with your moves. Slightly vulnerable to accuracy hax but a reliable enough partner to see you through the matches.

Last edited:
Continuing Open Level because why not?
Section 3: Open Level
Alright, first up is Meganium and Loppuny.
I'm looking at Lucario/Machamp/Lanturn/Drifblim/Starmie/Leafeon. Lucario is ThunderPunch/Ice Punch with Stone Edge and Cross Chop with Scope Lens. The set looks versatile enough and Lucario is a good enough all-around mon to make me take him. Starmie is Natural cure (so that's nice), and runs a Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder/Recover Wide Lens set, which should be interesting and hit hard. Lanturn is out for having a bad moveset and ability (Illuminate, really?), and Machamp is No Guard all 100% accuracy moves >_>, so that's not happening. I'm going to pick Drifblim as it's the lesser of two evils. It's Trick Black Sludge, along with Facade/Payback/Will-O-Wisp. Leafeon's moveset is odd. Leaf Blade/Last Resort/Curse/GrassWhistle with Leaf Guard and BrightPowder. It has potential (swap Curse for Sunny Day, GrassWhistle for a better coverage move...), but I'm not willing to take it. Drifblim is swap bait; no STAB, and really gimmicky with no real substance.

Lopunny came out first, and Lucario ate a Charm, and I kept it in for the switch (Meganium), but it didn't do much so I switched to Drifblim. Meganium looks to be Heat Rock/Solarbeam/Synthesis, so that looks interesting. I'll probably end up taking it for Drifblim...it just used Sunny Day whilst sun was up. Good job, AI, you're *really* good at Pokemon. I mean, who would think to use Sunny Day whilst sun was up not once, but TWICE? Genius. Pure genius. Next mon is Aggron, whom I'm too worried about. I burned it, then used Trick (it had a Quick Claw) to give it a Heat Rock, which would presumably be useless. Starmie finishes it off with a Hydro Pump. Up next is Slowking and Kingdra, but I'm not too worried about that. Drifblim traded for Meganium, as previously stated (its other move is Ancient Power).

Slowking is out first, which could be troublesome, especially as it used Trick Room on the switch to Meganium. I accidentally hit Sunny Day instead of synthesis after I get sun up, which let it get a free Yawn in. I switch to Lucario to take the Psychic, but he switches to Vileplume, which is quickly taken out with a crit Ice Punch (TR is over). Slowking is killed by a ThunderPunch (again a crit, thanks Scope Lens). Kingdra sets up Rain...twice in a row, allowing a kill with Cross Chop. Ludicolo and Bronzong are the next challenge - I'm not super excited, but the current team should do.

Lucario OHKOs Ludicolo with a crit Cross Chop, and he sends out Bronzong, who promptly uses Dream Eater without first putting Lucario to sleep...trying to eat his daydreams, perhaps? Lucario OHKOs the next mon, a Jynx, with a Stone Edge (after a miss, but meh). Walrein and Breloom next. Yawn.

A Chople Berry on Walrein saves it from an OHKO, but dies anyway after a second. Two Cross Chops take out Breloom, but not before its super damaging Rock Slide...Why? Of all the moves...Anyway, Venusaur shows up next and uses...Amnesia, I think, two stage Sp Def gain, anyway. It might have worked, too, if Lucario wasn't running a completely physical set. Magnezone and Armaldo next. I'm not even gonna break a sweat here, if Lucario performs like he has in the last few battles.

Magnezone nearly OHKOd (But not quite), leaving just enough time to set up Light Screen. Cross Chop misses and Armaldo OHKOs with EQ. Hopefully Starmie can take it out even with Light Screen. Hydro Pump first, ~half damage. EQ for a bit, then Hydro Pump miss to X-Scissor KO. Armaldo decides to use Iron Defense whilst Meganium sets up sun, and Meganium takes it out no sweat with Solarbeam. Unfortunately the next mon is Sceptile, but it decides two Leaf Blades are the best thing to do before Crunch or Screech. Screech and Leichi berry happen, leaving Sceptile in the red and Meganium at essentially -3. I'm breaking a sweat here...but Sceptile uses Screech again and I KO with Solarbeam. That was...really close. Synthesis was a key player here as sun Synthesis heals a ton of damage and Meganium tanked like a boss. Either way, Jynx and T-Tar next. No trade.

Stone Edge misses Jynx right off the bat and I get on the recieving end of a Lovely Kiss. Not the way I would prefer to start, but whatever. Mean Look next turn seals the deal, but then on the turn after I wake up and hit with Stone Edge. Granbull comes out next, and although Intimidate is less than ideal Lucario almost OHKOs and takes a crit Ice Fang, then I play it safe and Ice Punch the thing to death. T-Tar outspeeds, and I can't use Cross Chop, unfortunately, so I switch to Meganium to set up sun, taking only a Thunderpunch...and it did it two more times. Choiced, perhaps? Whatever was happening, two Solar Beams take T-Tar out no sweat.

Next I can see Skuntank and Vileplume, and though I'm not incredibly pleased to see Skuntank, Vileplume is standard fare by now. Skuntank decides Dark Pulse was the best thing to do, twice in a row (maybe its only other attacking move was Poison?) Aftermath hurt Lucario a little, but not enough to keep it from taking Vileplume's Seed Bomb and killing. Ambipom is next...and also uses Seed Bomb. OK. I send out Starmie, who OHKOs with a Hydro Pump.

Our MVP today is...Lucario!

Lucario (Critical Mass) (Open Level battles 8-14)
Inner Focus/Scope Lens
Cross Chop
Stone Edge
ThunderPunch
Ice Punch
Alright, so I didn't make the "Critcario" pun I wanted to, because by now it's just getting old and Critcario just sounds lame. Instead, Critical Mass because Critical Hit "pun" and...well, why not? Either way, Critical Mass swept most of his streak of battles by himself. He was extremely effective and with his Scope Lens dealt out Critical Hits like they were going out of style...and, well, they kind of are, what with Gen VI changing Crits and all. Critical Mass was, as I said before, extremely effective. Hit like a truck, took hits, everything. I can't help but love him, and you should too. the playstyle is easy enough to pick up; use a Super Effective move, or Cross Chop (if it doesn't resist). Occasionally using an elemental punch to avoid accuracy hax is cool too, so don't be afraid to do so.

Alright, for now we'll continue Open Level until I lose or beat the Frontier Brain for the Silver Print, after which we'll switch over to Open Level. I think I'm going to try and keep one of the two open at all times so I can just play for fun if I wish (these posts can take a while sometimes :P)
Section 4 - Open Level
A Shuckle with Wrap is up first, so we'll see how this goes...
Forretress/Charizard/Cradily/Abomasnow/Garchomp/Vespiquen
Charizard is running Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Crunch/Dragon Claw Scope Lens, and I have learned to really appreciate a good Scope Lens, so I'll take him. Garchomp is...Garchomp, sashed Dragon Rush/Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Aerial Ace, and so he's good enough for the team. Vespiquen is physical (why? .-.). Cradily looks annoying - Recover/Ingrain/Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb with Big Root, so that's good.

Shuckle is weak as expected, and an Absol is next. It utilizes parafusion by Thunder Wave and Swagger, and takes out Charizard easy. Garchomp OHKOs with Dragon Rush, and Weavile's next. It uses Double Team twice, but I still get a hit in with Stone Edge and OHKO. Next is Leaf Blade Leafon, and I'm not really interested in trading.

Leafeon survives a Flare Blitz and uses Leaf Blade which Crits, but Leafeon gets taken out next turn with Dragon Claw to be replaced with Aggron. EQ does ~3/4 health and Charizard is out then. Chomp misses an Aqua tail, and eats a crit Iron Tale (ow), leaving him with one HP from her Sash. Skarmory comes out next, and a Stone Edge is a parting gift. which only does ~1/4th. I now have to kill Skarmory with Giga drain (which isn't happening any time soon). Six Giga Drains (and a recover) in, Cradily is nailed by a crit Drill Peck which reduces his HP to 25. A couple of recovers sets him back to full, and manages to kill Skarmory on the ninth Giga Drain. That was...close. Fire Punch Magmortar is first next time.

Shucca Berry keeps Magmortar from an OHKO, and puts up Smokescreen in return. Politoed comes out after, so I send out Cradily, who takes a hypnosis towards the end of their fight, but comes out fine because Dive isn't really good for mons utilizing sleep :P. Shiftry is out and just keeps using Double Team, but my first Sludge Bomb hits and poisons. Unfortunately, it also runs Synthesis and Giga Drain, with Leftovers. Right now it's just spamming Synthesis, which I'm fine with, as any PP stall is good. Cradily gets two hits in at +4 Evasion, and now Shiftry is just using Giga Drain, so I think Synthesis is out. Cradily hits again with Giga Drain, so one more good hit and I'll win. Cradily is an enormous tank, so that's good. Right now, after another double team, Shiftry is almost dead, just a sliver of HP left. Cradily then runs out of PP in all attacking moves and I can't switch out because Ingrain, but that doesn't matter because Poison kills Shiftry. Surf Floatzel is up, and I trade out Cradily for Shiftry.

I switch Shiftry in right away, but it dies to an Ice Beam >_>. Its last move is Leech Seed, BTW. Garchomp is out next, and OHKOs with a Dragon Rush. Porygon2 comes out and is OHKOd by Dragon Rush, and Rapidash is last. It starts out with a Flare Blitz, which doesn't quite kill Garchomp, then uses another move to finish it after a Stone Edge miss. Charizard finishes the job. Waterfall Gastrodon is next, no switches.

I accidentally switch to Garchomp instead of Shiftry, but after a switch Shiftry performs admirably. I get to +2 evasiveness, but see Fissure, get cold feet, and finish it. Flareon comes out first, and I get to +6 before being hit with Will-O-Wisp. Still, with leftovers and Leech Seed, I'm not too worried. I then use Double Team to stall Flareon out. Lickilicky is next, with Rest, but I'm not too worried as I can just stall...which I would do. Energy Ball Abomasnow is next.

Abomasnow is OHKOd by Flare Blitz, and a Salamance comes out next. Intimidate is lame, but it decides Ominous Wind is the best move. It ends up taking out Charizard, but Garchomp takes it out, as well as the Nidoqueen which follows...Directly to the Frontier Brain! Leaf Storm Victreebel is next, no trade.

Charizard OHKOs Victreebel with Flare Blitz, and Empoleon is next. I send in Shiftry, who seeds Empoleon, but can't take two Brick Breaks and a Waterfall. I send in Garchomp only to realize none of his moves are better than NVE. Oh well, Dragon Rush grants me a crit, Empoleon crits with Waterfall, but Sash saves me and it dies to leech seed. Hippowdon is next, and I deal a good deal of damage with Aqua Tail and Garchomp goes down. Flare Blitz doesn't quite kill, it uses Slack Off, and I die to a Crunch. Shame.

No MVP this time because A; I'm lazy, and B; everyone was pretty equal.

My apologies; I have no methods of creating a video of this, otherwise I totally would - it's much more draining to write in this than it is just to play, which is one reason why updates stopped coming. With the notable exception of section 2, I did try to break up the sections to make it easier to read. Thanks for the tip, though.

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I'd like to mention that I'm awfully tired of Ubers matches in Battle Factory.

IMO the tier should be split into BF OU and BF Ubers. I'm not the only one who has a problem with this, I got an opponent who complained that it was his "forth ubers match in a row" on Battle Factory. We had a short conversation about how we agreed that the tier should be split.

Otherwise a great tier. Hope to see this change made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)