SM OU Balance Bounces Back

Should I start adding 2 or 3 replays to these RMTs to demonstrate how to use them?

• Total voters
Introduction

Hey guys, it's TheCamelDude again with my 3rd RMT of SM OU. This time we'll be looking at a more balanced team, which has been making a comeback the last few weeks, with a Diancie-Mega.

The Team

Breakdown

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect

You all know what this thing does, it's a specially defensive tank with some defensive EV's to take a couple physical hits better. Between Leech Seed, Leftovers, and Protect, it never dies, Heavy Slam is a great STAB option, and Flamethrower hits most steel types.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

The last Mega Evolution on the scene, and it's a good one. With great everything except maybe typing, it's easy to fit into teams like this. It gets Magic Bounce after mega evolving, has insane coverage as a mixed attacker, and can even take a hit. Mostly. Just keep it away from steel types and most ground, water, and grass types, and it will serve you well.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

I don't generally run with this Dugtrio set, but I already knew where I wanted my Z move, and I also needed a rocker, and I knew I was using Dugtrio, so Focus Sash Stealth Rock just fit the bill. Everything else about it is standard. Screech to lower opponent's defense, Earthquake to do high damage to something that can't escape, and Reversal to do even more damage at low health. This thing takes care of many threats such as Heatran, Chansey, and Mawile-Mega.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp

The same Mew set as always. Enough speed to outspeed adamant Landorus-Therian and Zygarde-50%, and the rest is dumped into its bulk on the defensive side. Checks most physical attackers, including the two I mentioned above and Garchomp (special shoutouts to them for dying to Ice Beam), and even some special attackers such as non-Shadow Ball Tapu Lele or soft-checking some Heatrans.

Toxapex @ Eject Button Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature Calm Nature
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

HEY LOOK IT'S EVERYTHING WE DON'T LIKE ABOUT FERROTHORN BUT WORSE!! Standard moveset, including Toxic Spikes to spread poison and badly poison around at a scary rate, Scald to burn physical threats that aren't poisoned yet or airborne opponents, Haze to stop anything from setting up, and Recover because...well, recovery. Regenerator helps in that department too, by giving me some HP back every time I switch out. Eject Button gives me one free switch into Dugtrio each match or something else, making this an amazing pivot. Especially since most of the damage it takes from that pivot will get healed off by Regenerator. Shed Shell allows it to escape from Dugtrio, making this team a bit less weak to it.

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

The late game cleaner of the team. With only a couple defensive checks to it, the opponent has to work real hard just to put themselves in a position to not lose, giving the rest of the team a chance to shine. Of course they eventually will have to make poor sacks and this will eventually end them with its Shattered Psyche nuke at +1 into sweep with its amazing coverage.

Threats

Rain: Rain is scary for most teams, and this one is no exception. All of my offensive mons are weak to water, and all of my defensive mons are weak to Swampert-Mega. Thunder hurts them quite a bit as well. My best hope is to catch the rain ending with Volcarona and set up one while they refresh the rain, and another while they switch into an abuser.

Tapu Koko: If it has U-turn, it can wear my entire team down very easily. If it doesn't have U-turn, it can still wear my entire team down very easily as long as it watches out for Dugtrio.

Dugtrio: can trap and eliminate a large portion of my team, and if it pairs with Magnezone to trap Celesteela, I'm in trouble.

Stealth Rock: If my opponent can get them up early and apply the proper pressure to prevent me from removing them, it can create issues for my team. This can be remedied with smart play, but otherwise it's quite an issue.

Importable

https://pastebin.com/nyCZ3Hit

Conclusion

This team's been pretty solid, only really losing to the threats mentioned above. It's extremely weak to those, so I'd enjoy feedback on how to deal with them, but otherwise it's very solid.

Last edited:
wont opposing dugtrio be a pain? can trap diancie and pex
Yes it is. With only Celesteela being able to stop Duggy from revengekilling any of his mons, and being it weak to Magnezone which often comes with Dugtrio to form the TrapCore, Dugtrio really has too many opportunities of sweeping your team, TheCamelDude
(Mew is crippled by the set with Screech+Tectonic Rage)
You need to sacrifice someone or force it out with Mew and then revengekill with your own Dugtrio (Keep the Focus Sash untouched)

wont opposing dugtrio be a pain? can trap diancie and pex
I can at least speed tie opposing Dugtrio with Diancie, and pex has one get out of jail free card with Eject Button. But yeah, I gotta be careful with it. Adding that to the threats list, I completely overlooked it since I haven't played a good one with this team.

I can at least speed tie opposing Dugtrio with Diancie, and pex has one get out of jail free card with Eject Button. But yeah, I gotta be careful with it. Adding that to the threats list, I completely overlooked it since I haven't played a good one with this team.
Mega Diancie does not speed tie with Dugtrio at all.

Nice team. I don't see too much wrong with it, but the only thing I see wrong with it is the Toxapex EVs. So I suggest running this EV spread instead and a Shed Shell. This doesn't really make
Dugtrio a threat as much.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

This was the only change I recommend to your team.​

Nice team. I don't see too much wrong with it, but the only thing I see wrong with it is the Toxapex EVs. So I suggest running this EV spread instead and a Shed Shell. This doesn't really make
Dugtrio a threat as much.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover

This was the only change I recommend to your team.​
Thanks, I'll try that, but what are the 68 Sp.Def EV's for?

Last edited:
I also agree that shed shell pex makes a lot more sense here. I understand eject button into dug is really nice but as its currently built the team gets run through by Zard Y + dug teams. And yeah I'd actually recommend even more spdef on the Pex than the 68 as its your only real switch in to Zard. Most Pex are going spdef now in general. Also, most Steelas are now running more of a mixed spread leaning toward the phys def side. This allows you to take things like +2 fight-z from tapu bulu and +2 rock-z from lando while still being a really good check to things like Tapu Lele and Mega Zam. Here are a couple of sample spreads you can use:

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

I also agree that shed shell pex makes a lot more sense here. I understand eject button into dug is really nice but as its currently built the team gets run through by Zard Y + dug teams. And yeah I'd actually recommend even more spdef on the Pex than the 68 as its your only real switch in to Zard. Most Pex are going spdef now in general. Also, most Steelas are now running more of a mixed spread leaning toward the phys def side. This allows you to take things like +2 fight-z from tapu bulu and +2 rock-z from lando while still being a really good check to things like Tapu Lele and Mega Zam. Here are a couple of sample spreads you can use:

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Quick question, what does the 136 SpD do? I haven't seen this spread before, I'm just curious.

Quick question, what does the 136 SpD do? I haven't seen this spread before, I'm just curious.
Really good question lol. I stole that spread from the team Blunder used to qualify for OLT. The phys def allows Pex to avoid the 2hko from lop after rocks and also avoids 2hko from mega hera but not sure if that was what it was specifically made for or not.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Thanks, I'll try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)