Media Attack on Titan (final season coming!)

This has been making a pretty big splash in our circles lately, so I figure we might as well have a thread for it. Attack on Titan is a fairly new anime, based on the manga of the same name.

Synopsis: Humanity has been driven to the brink of extinction by a race of creatures called Titans. Mindless, huge and incredibly fast and powerful, Titans have only one purpose: eating humans. The remnants of humanity have been driven inside three enormous circular walls in order to survive, armed only with cannons and the "3D Maneuver Gear". Humanity has lived peacefully inside these walls for over 100 years, but that changes one day when the Colossal Titan appears. The story follows Eren Jaeger, a young soldier who despises the Titans for what they have taken from him and all of humanity. His dream is to exterminate the Titans and explore the outside world.

Attack on Titan has a lot of great things going for it: Interesting characters who are developed well, amazing animation, visceral fight scenes, and foreshadowing on the scale of One Piece that leads to some pretty shocking plot twists. (Edit: Oh and the intro is amazing.) Since many people are opting to only watch the anime, please put any discussion regarding the manga, which is far more progressed in terms of plot, in spoiler tags.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Best anime I've seen since Code Geass, and the OP is amazing

Primary theory among anime watchers right now is that Eren's dad injected Eren with something to turn him into a titan, which seems to make sense. It was weird how they introduced us to that through a timeskip dream, and I didn't actually even catch it the first time around. But there's a lot about his dad we'll end up learning about eventually, I'm sure (what's in the basement?!?!).

What I'm personally most looking forward to is finding out just who sent the titans/what their purpose is. It's pretty clear someone created them with the intent to destroy mankind. And then you have shit like the colossal titan appearing out of nowhere then disappearing within a couple minutes. So, on it's face, it can seem like a pretty shallow anime/manga, but I expect there are going to be some pretty big revelations by the time it's over

Seems like the best shonen since brotherhood, even if its fanbase gets fairly annoying. (That still doesn't put it in my top 3 this season, but I'll save that for the dead general anime thread).

The anime has established that titans have neither a digestive nor reproductive system. I think eating humans has something to do with titan reproduction (maybe all humans become titans???) and dr. jaegar gave eren something that let him retain a semblance of human consciousness as a titan).

Also the potato girl is easily the best part of the show.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I've read the manga, and the thing that disappoints me about the anime is the general censorship of the goriest scenes, which is entirely understandable but might mean we have to miss out on some of the more imaginative deaths later on.

Holy shit, I love Monkey Trouble so goddamn much. He just is so nonchalant about everything.

Pretty disappointing compared to the manga from the few episodes that I've managed to watch so far. The hype it's receiving is a little bit overwhelming, but considering the production values not too unexpected.

And if anything can be called the new Code Geass this season, it's Valvrave without a doubt.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yeah the manga is pretty amazing. I love the fact that people are speculating about some of the stuff mentioned in this thread about the anime because some of it's been covered in the manga.

I've read the manga, and the thing that disappoints me about the anime is the general censorship of the goriest scenes, which is entirely understandable but might mean we have to miss out on some of the more imaginative deaths later on.
Agreed, the censorship is definitely my biggest gripe right now. Otherwise, the adaptation has been amazing. I've read the manga and I'm still at the edge of my seat on each episode.

Alice

The worst taste in music
Pretty disappointing compared to the manga from the few episodes that I've managed to watch so far. The hype it's receiving is a little bit overwhelming, but considering the production values not too unexpected.

And if anything can be called the new Code Geass this season, it's Valvrave without a doubt.
I feel quite the opposite: the manga is rather.. uh... dull, like it can't portray the intensity of the series properly, while the anime is just a blast. I'm enjoying the anime a lot more and only checking the manga every now and then just for the sake of curiosity -aka spoilers XD... i can't just wait 7 days to have something figured out >_>-.

Yeah I also disagree. The anime is far superior to the manga due to it really capturing the intensity(like Alice said) and it does a better job at portraying the hopelessness the humans are feeling. I mean I sort of get depressed watching this anime sometimes, espcially when...oh crap I can't remember their names, but it was when the girl was giving cpr to her already dead boyfriend.

Also, the OST is just kickass.

And at that last sentence, yeah no. Valvrave's story and depth is no where near Code Geass', though I will say that the animation is absolutely amazing.

TheValkyries

Learn to imaganimate better. I had that precise CPR scene from the Anime in my head when I was reading the Manga, and in many other cases I had better scenes in my head than what the Anime came out with (The suicide in episode 7 was way disappointing to me, for example).

Really it just boils down to difference in the medium... The Manga leaves a lot to your imagination, whereas the Anime fills it all in for you. From there it's really whatever you prefer.

That's pretty much the reason why it's hard for me to read manga or even comics. Unlike books where it forces you to build the scene in your mind, a manga gives you a template of what's happening and you have to fill in the rest for yourself. Problem with me is that I don't do the second because I think I subconsciously think "Meh, they already have what's happening drawn, I don't need to think about it more." Seriously, the only manga I fully engage myself into is Naruto and I really don't know why.

tl;dr-I'm not a great manga reader and I'm mentally lazy sometimes. :P

No, I don't think you're special in that regard. No matter how imaginative you are you can never fill in for a fully animated scene, however close. I haven't read the manga so I had no disappointment due to scenes that I had made up beforehand. They say that an activity is enjoyable the more senses are involved...

And at that last sentence, yeah no. Valvrave's story and depth is no where near Code Geass', though I will say that the animation is absolutely amazing.
I meant it more in the way of Sunrise+mechs+stupid shit every episode that you shouldn't really see coming.

I started watching this recently and to be honest it seemed pretty generic till episode 5. I'm seriously confused on where theyre going with all of this and its half of the reason im continuing to watch

Fight scenes are always pleasant to watch but I agree, stop cutting out the gory parts pleeeaassee

Too much hype. It is been ok for me so far but nothing too big. Don't you guys remember what happened with SAO?

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Like a lot of people have been saying, so far i'm loving this anime, but I really hope it isn't like SAO or even things before it. I mean its in the top 15 on MAL already....

Having not read the manga (and I won't be until the anime goes on break), I would have to say so far this anime is great to me. I'm not sure how they've done "portraying the manga" or whatever, but the characters are really likable and I love the whole hopelessness of the situation up to this point. This anime technically calls itself a shounen even though it has seinin qualities to it so i'm never going to complain about the classic shounen-esque moments or if Eren gets some sort of power up. (as long as he doesn't get like super saiyan 1,2,3,4, etc). Also can I ask that if you are posting spoilers can you let us know if they are manga spoilers because that way we know which spoilers we can click and not click.

oh ya, the opening is the best thing ever and is already becoming the new guile theme on youtube.

It's a good anime/manga, and I like the idea behind it, quite original. Of course, I believe that the hype is a bit....... too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this manga, but I haven't thought of it as the best ever..... I don't think it would even be in my top 5 to be honest. However, nontheless, it is a good manga, and I would recommend reading it.

I have to admit though, one thing that is annoying me is how so many people have begun turning into titans.... I thought that it was supposed to be a special ability, but now it seems that almost anybody can use it, which annoys me a bit.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Geez..not wanting to sound like a jerk or something but for the sake of those who haven't read the manga, would you please make sure your spoilers say that they are manga spoilers please? (please?)

Also those youtube videos are hilarious. Here's hoping something viral comes out of this phenomenon.

Not wanting to sound like a jerk or something but for the sake of those who haven't read the manga, would you please make sure your spoilers say that they are manga spoilers please? (please?)

Also those youtube videos are hilarious. Here's hoping something viral comes out of this phenomenon.
Well..... the original post does say to put spoilers in the spoiler tags, so it would make sense that clicking on the spoiler tag would give a spoiler, right? Just saying.

TheValkyries

Well..... the original post does say to put spoilers in the spoiler tags, so it would make sense that clicking on the spoiler tag would give a spoiler, right? Just saying.
Many here are only watching the Anime only, so mark your manga spoilers so its clear what is what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)