Walrus atomicwalrus

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello and welcome to my walrus. For those of you who don't know, a walrus is a game in which you aim to prove that you have the best taste in music, in this case "the best taste in music" will be determined by me. I have prepared 9 categories, for which you will submit 1 song (barring the last which you will submit 2 for) and I will grade each song on a scale from 0-10. Highest score wins.

I will announce category reveals in this thread as well as in the discord we've been using ( https://discord.gg/8FfpUD8 ) before hand so everyone can see how their song stacks up against the competition.

Category 1: Ratchet

For this category I want you to send me a song that is either ratchet or is about being ratchet.

Category 2: What does this even mean?

Send me a song that has lyrics which are complete nonsense, or at least not easily understood without actively seeking out the meaning. They should be confusing, not unintelligible.

Category 3: All Alone

I personally prefer listening to songs that are kind of downers, so I want you to send me a song that is either about being alone or evokes the feeling of loneliness. Sadder the better.

Category 4: Love is Dangerous

Send me a song that shows the downsides of love. Jealousy, obsession, control, etc. Things that make love dangerous.

Category 5: Girl Power

I much prefer female vocalists to male vocalists, submit a song that features at least one female vocalist and no male vocalists.

Category 6: Gay

Send me a song about literally being gay. I’ll accept songs that aren’t explicitly about being gay if the music video is gay (see example two). Actually this is pretty hard, any song about any part of LGBTQ, or by LGBTQ artists are acceptable.

Category 7: Swipe Right

Submit the song that you would list on Tinder as “my anthem”.

No examples, if you aren’t exactly sure what to submit, think of it as your theme song

Category 8: Almost a wrap

I like rap, r&b, and hip hop but haven’t really explored those genres that much, send me a song that is rap or a similar genre.

Not sure if people need examples of rap / hip hop / R&B but here's one

212 – Azealia Banks

Category 9: Fraternal Twins

Submit two different songs of the same name, they should be by different bands and should not be a cover of the same song or one covering the others song, but 2 distinct songs. The songs will be scored separately but I would like them to not be too similar to each other (20 points total).

When you have your songs ready send them to me in a PM on Smogon.

About the walrus wrangler:

I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music, I don't think I have any "auto-0" genres, although really twangy country or really screamy metal is probably not gonna do great. All of the songs I've used as examples above would score above an 8 for me, barring the Taylor Swift song and the Sarah Bareilles song which would probably score somewhere between 6 and 7 (I only have one example where both would be above 8 so I gotta save them for the header :p).

Some bands/artists I like that will likely be pander-capped if you submit:

The Killers, Lady Gaga, Glass Animals, Death Cab for Cutie, The Shins, Aurora, Chloe Howl, Bastille, there are probably more but I won't punish those because I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I'm going to try and judge cat 1 Wednesday October 4th, so if you could have your submissions for at least category 1 to me by the 2nd that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions about categories feel free to pm me or vm me or send me a carrier pigeon or whatever.

RODAN
Da Letter El

Omfuga
KnightsofCydonia
Aladyyn
Lord Esche
Isa
Steven Snype

Stan Soojung
ItsYaBoi1337
Slurmz
MasterAmpharos
Shubaka17
Robert Alfons

Asek
Granny Pie
Walrein
vonFiedler

BelmontGabriel
Mizuhime
Funkasaurus
PDC
Yeti
Myzozoa
hogg

Last edited:

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
21st place

4/10
Isa
Ponderosa - Tricky
A victim of the old "ratchet is not slang in Europe" trick. The song is more about being an alcoholic than it is about being a ratchet, but I can let that slide, its honestly pretty musically interesting as well. The Caribbean vibe its got going is pretty relaxing. My main problem with the song is that it gets pretty boring, and the instrumentals can't carry the poor vocals.

atomicllamas

18th

RODAN
Love Me Or Hate Me - Lady Sovereign
Lol, I forgot this song existed. This song also came out when I was like 13 so I never realized how ratchet it was. I kind of wish you didn't change submissions last minute cause while this song is slightly more ratchet, the other one was much catchier and a much more enjoyable listen. The chorus and the music accompanying it is banging but the song is just kind of boring in the middle and the instrumentals are just bad when it doesn't have the robotic beeping going on. Honestly the more I listen to this song, the more I'm glad my musical taste has changed since 2006, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)