Assumptions and Bluffs - An OU [Pass the Trash] Warstory

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I was browsing Smogon on a pleasant Sunday afternoon when I stumbled upon the sign ups for a new tournament: Pass the Trash, hosted by Kevin Garrett. It was a basic single elimination OU tournament with one little twist: prior to every match, each person traded a Pokemon with their opponent. The Pokemon would remain a permanent part of their roster throughout the tourney. I hadn’t competed in many tournaments, so I decided that this would be a good opportunity to start.

Players were to select their first six Pokemon. Logically, a team that operated well without necessarily relying on all of its members would be ideal. Using my amazing sense of judgment, I decided to use a stall team. Thankfully, nobody exploited the glaring Gyarados weakness that I created when I passed a Celebi during the first round, and I managed to scramble to Round 4, the semifinals. My opponent was Legacy Raider. On yet another pleasant Sunday afternoon, we entered an intense, down-to-the-wire battle.

Teams:

(I wanted an excuse to use pretty arrows)

At this point, I was still trying to work out my Gyarados weakness. Up until now, I had passed the Pokemon that had been passed to me the round before, but this time, I decided to keep it, Metagross, because it could be potentially useful in checking Gyarados and because, with Explosion, it was too much of a threat to give to Legacy Raider. I passed Gliscor, figuring that Cresselia would be enough to keep Lucario in check, not to mention that it would have a hard time setting up on any of my other Pokemon. To my surprise, Legacy Raider gave me a Choice Scarfed Magnezone, which which basically alleviated any fears I had about Lucario.

Rules
Standard junk
Leftovers / Burn / Toxic will be omitted. Heatran, Kingdra, Magnezone, and Scizor are not holding Leftovers. Everyone else is.
And now the battle:
Eo Ut Mortus: good luck
Legacy Raider: gl

Eo Ut Mortus sent out Swampert.
Legacy Raider sent out Jirachi.

Swampert is one of my favorite leads. It matches up favorably with almost every other common lead, with the exception of Azelf. I run a moveset of Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Avalanche, and Protect. The first three moves are fairly obvious choices. The purpose of the last move, Protect, is to scout the moves of choiced Pokemon, to gain additional Leftovers recovery, and to avoid taking damage from predictable Explosions of lead Heatran and Metagross.

Jirachi is a pretty versatile Pokemon, but since it’s a lead, I’m willing to bet it doesn’t have Grass Knot. I’m predicting a switch or U-Turn, a Trick (Scarf), or a Stealth Rock. When placed in this scenario, Jirachi vs. Swampert, I always Earthquake. Setting up Stealth Rock is not my priority, and to me, stripping off a large chunk of health from Jirachi is worth letting Swampert be crippled.

Legacy Raider switched in Rotom-c.
Rotom-c makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Swampert used Earthquake.
Swampert's attack missed!

Legacy Raider takes the safe route and sends in Rotom(ower), who avoids Swampert’s attack and poses a myriad of threats to Swampert. It could have Will-O-Wisp, Trick, or even the odd Leaf Storm. Regardless of what the danger is, I am switching out, but I Protect first so I can decide to whom.

Swampert used Protect.
Swampert protected itself!
Rotom-c used Substitute.
Rotom-c lost 25% of its health.
Rotom-c made a substitute!

Ah, Substitute. This means Rotom is most likely carrying Charge Beam or Will-o-Wisp. I suspect the former, as LR has used that variant on the Suspect Ladder. Either way, Blissey is probably my best choice to take on Rotom.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Blissey.
Rotom-c used Will-o-wisp.
Rotom-c's attack missed!

It seems that this Rotom is the "status" variant of Substitute, Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Ball, and an Electric move. This is a bit of a relief, because while this Rotom can be quite the pain to take down, a Charge Beam version would be much more threatening, as it has the ability to beat Blissey one-on-one on a good day.

Blissey was burned!
Blissey used Flamethrower.
The substitute took damage for Rotom-c!

Flamethrower unfortunately takes two hits to break Rotom's Substitute. Still, since Blissey has Softboiled while Rotom lacks a recovery move, Blissey should be able to win this small skirmish as long as Legacy Raider does not support Rotom with Wish, an uncommon yet effective strategy that I once had the misfortune of losing to.

Rotom-c used Discharge.
Blissey lost 9% of its health.
Rotom-c's substitute faded!

Rotom-c used Substitute.

Legacy Raider switched in Kingdra.
It's not very effective...
Kingdra lost 5% of its health.

Blissey: 68%
Rotom: 81%

After a short exchange of blows, Legacy Raider takes advantage of Kingdra's 4x resistance to Fire to send it in on a predicted Flamethrower. Switching while Rotom had a Substitute up might seem odd, but it was a good play; LR probably didn't want to risk me switching to something else at the same time.

I’m pretty sure that, like almost every Kingdra out there, this is a Dragon Dancer, most likely carrying Substitute. Regardless of what type of Kingdra this is, I have a generally decent answer in Cresselia.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Cresselia.
Kingdra used Substitute.
Kingdra lost 25% of its health.
Kingdra made a substitute!

Kingdra: 70%

My Cresselia is your garden variety wall. No feeble attempts at offense with Calm Mind or Charge Beam, no fancy Trick / Flame Orb antics. While it doesn't have Reflect for additional support against Kingdra's physical hits, it comes equipped with Psychic, which means that unless this Kingdra is unusually defensive, its Substitutes should fall in one hit.

Kingdra used Dragon Dance.
Kingdra's attack was raised.
Kingdra's speed was raised.
Cresselia used Psychic.
The substitute took damage for Kingdra!
Kingdra's substitute faded!

Good, my suspicions are confirmed. Three more Psychics should finish Kingdra off, and I should be able to withstand its assaults, recovering with Moonlight when needed.

Kingdra used Outrage.
Kingdra went on a rampage!
Cresselia lost 43% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Kingdra lost 29% of its health.

Kingdra used Outrage.
Cresselia lost 47% of its health.
Cresselia used Moonlight.
Cresselia restored 50% of its health.
Kingdra's rampage ended.
Kingdra became confused!
Kingdra's Lum Berry cured its Confusion!

Legacy Raider switched in Scizor.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Scizor lost 13% of its health.

Kingdra: 41%
Cresselia: 78%
Scizor: 87%

Psychic does not reach its intended target this time but instead glances off Scizor's metallic hide. I'm guessing this is a Choice Banded Scizor. Thankfully, I doubt Legacy Raider will risk Pursuiting me, as doing so would leave Scizor vulnerable to the Magnezone he passed me. Unfortunately, because he knows I have Magnezone, LR might decided to Superpower hoping to catch it on the switch, which means both Magnezone and Heatran are somewhat risky switch-ins. I decide that the safest switch-in is Swampert. If Scizor turns out to be something that Swampert can't handle, like a Swords Dancer, I can hopefully play around its attacks and eventually switch Magnezone into a predicted Bullet Punch.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Swampert.
Scizor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 38% of its health.

Swampert: 68%
Rotom: 87%

Definitely Banded. Rotom comes out and again, I plan to fall back on Blissey. I do have the option of using Heatran, but I do not want to risk an unlucky paralysis from Discharge.

Rotom-c's attack missed!

Rotom-c used Substitute.
A critical hit!

Rotom-c used Substitute.

Blissey was burned!

Rotom-c used Substitute.

Rotom-c used Discharge.
Blissey lost 10% of its health.

Blissey used Softboiled.
Blissey restored 50% of its health.

Rotom: 50%
Blissey: 87%
Kingdra: 41%

After a brief exchange between Blissey and Rotom, Kingdra comes out once again. We've been locked in an endless cycle of conservative plays, and this being a repeat scenario is evidence. I have no reason to try and break this cycle yet because through it I have been able to chip away at Kingdra and Rotom, both of which have no recovery, while being able to keep all of my team healthy.

Kingdra used Substitute.
Kingdra lost 25% of its health.
Kingdra made a substitute!

Kingdra used Waterfall.
A critical hit!
Cresselia lost 43% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
The substitute took damage for Kingdra!
Kingdra's substitute faded!

Cresselia used Moonlight.
Cresselia restored 50% of its health.

Kingdra: 16%
Cresselia: 100%

If there's anything that can break this cycle, though, it's Scizor. It threatens each and every one of my Pokemon, and even though Magnezone can easily revenge kill it, one wrong move - the loss of a potentially useful Heatran by Superpower or Cresselia to U-Turn - could spell disaster for me.

Not wanting my Swampert to be worn down so quickly, this time, I decide to chance a Superpower and switch in Heatran. Legacy Raider hasn't seen all of my Pokemon, anyway, so he will most likely use the more conservative U-Turn to scout.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Heatran.
Scizor used U-turn.
Heatran lost 14% of its health.

Heatran: 86%

Legacy Raider decides to sack Kingdra at this point. It's low on health and unable to break through Cresselia. More importantly, LR also probably wants to scout Heatran's move.

Heatran used Dragon Pulse.
It's super effective!
Kingdra lost 16% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Kingdra fainted.

6 - 5 Eo Ut Mortus

Heatran takes first blood as the draconic rush smothers the last of Kingdra's life. Kingdra didn't leave much of a visible impact on my team. Its main asset was its presence, which was instrumental in luring out Cresselia, giving Scizor an easy opportunity to switch in.

Legacy Raider switched in Jirachi.

Now, to many onlookers, and to Legacy Raider, switching in Jirachi would seem like a perfectly sensible thing to do. Heatran can barely scratch Jirachi with Dragon Pulse, and Jirachi can utilize a free turn to set up Stealth Rock, hit something with Thunder Wave, or scout its potential counters with U-Turn. After all, my Heatran is scarfed and locked into Dragon Pulse, right?

Unfortunately for Legacy Raider, he falls into the trap of making an assumption that many other players have made: Heatran is choiced if it doesn't have Leftovers. However, in this case...

Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 100% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Jirachi fainted.

6 - 4 Eo Ut Mortus

And Jirachi pays with its life for this mistake. I am enthralled because what was most likely LR's Stealth Rock user is gone. With no rocks to hinder me, I will gain infinitely more freedom in switching. Legacy Raider is not in the best of positions, down two Pokemon without having realized any benefits so far.

Legacy Raider switched in Gliscor.

Since I have shown I am not scarfed, Legacy Raider now knows that Gliscor outspeeds me. Even if I was scarfed, Heatran's Fire Blast deals only 70.34% - 83.05%.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Swampert.
Gliscor used U-turn.
Swampert lost 10% of its health.

U-Turn has to be one of the best moves in the game. Your opponent can no longer outpredict you in terms of switching; essentially, the infamous "double switch" is impossible to pull off. STAB U-Turn is even better, and I suspect that that is what Scizor is intending to use. I Protect just to make sure, and to gain Leftovers recovery.

Swampert used Protect.
Scizor used U-turn.

Swampert: 70%

Scizor used U-turn.
A critical hit!
Swampert lost 70% of its health.
Eo Ut Mortus's Swampert fainted.

5 - 4 Eo Ut Mortus

Hax has appeared in a few cameos in the form of Will-o-Wisp misses and relatively unimportant critical hits, but it makes its star debut right here. Not only can I not set up Stealth Rock now, but the absence of Swampert Scizor and more importantly, Gliscor, will have a much easier time with my team. I can only hope that I can play around these weaknesses.

Indeed, Gliscor comes out to test the waters. Cresselia is basically my best option against it.

Fearing Ice Beam, Gliscor will probably U-Turn, as it has nothing else with which to touch Cresselia. I notice that Legacy Raider doesn't really have anything that likes taking a Heatran's Fire Blast. Faced with these facts, I make a daring switch to Heatran.

Gliscor used U-turn.
Heatran lost 4% of its health.
Legacy Raider switched in Latias.

Heatran: 82%

Legacy Raider reveals his final Pokemon to be Latias. Now that I know all of LR's team, I can start trying to form a plan on how to win this game. To recap, LR has Scizor, Gliscor and Latias, all undamaged, and a moderately healthy Rotom. I have a Blissey, Heatran, and Cresselia, all in good condition, and an unrevealed pair of Magnezone and Metagross, although Legacy Raider is aware of the former.

It's pretty evident that if something is going to be sweeping, it will be one of my Steel-types. Probably not Magnezone, who has the near-impossible task of trying to brute force its way through Gliscor, Latias, and Rotom. Heatran has Latias to break through and is susceptible to a Gliscor revenge kill. Metagross is slightly impeded by Rotom and Gliscor. All three of these Pokemon have Explosion, but before I can even think about using it, I have to eliminate Rotom. Playing conservatively, as I have been doing, is probably the most efficient way to to do this. I must continue the cycle running.

However, I must also play with awareness. Legacy Raider has the tools to break through my team, mostly in Scizor and Gliscor. I must predict their switch-ins and attack appropriately.

It is slightly foolhardy, especially against a good player like Legacy Raider, to just assume that this Latias is a Calm Minder and does not carry Trick to threaten Blissey, but I spare nary a thought on this notion and immediately switch in my pink blob of fat.

Blissey: 93%

I guess he doesn't have Trick. Unfortunately, I screwed up and allowed Scizor a free turn. So much for playing with awareness.

Meanwhile...

Legacy Raider: i wish you didn't run protect on so many pokkes
Legacy Raider: it's annoying as hell lol
Eo Ut Mortus: only 1 this time
Legacy Raider: yeah?
Legacy Raider: only swampert huh
Legacy Raider: hmm
The ShoddyBattle chat can sometimes add an interesting element of psychology to battles. I presumed that Legacy Raider knew that I did not have Protect on my Cresselia (like I usually do) because I had multiple opportunities to use it, but didn't. He responds to this newfound information with a thoughtful, "Hmm."

Hmm...when someone says "hmm" it is usually indicative of thinking. In this case, I believe that LR is cooking up a cunning scheme. It sounds cheesy, I know, but I am almost certain of it.

Anyway, I'm even more frightened of Superpower now that I've revealed Heatran. I make a risky, foolhardy switch to Metagross, the only Pokemon on my team who can take Superpower and U-Turn.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Metagross.
Scizor used U-turn.
Metagross lost 49% of its health.

Ouch. I will really, really have to work to not let Scizor get anymore opportunities to get in. Also, the lack of Gliscor on my team is starting to hurt, as if I hadn't chosen to pass it, I would have had something else to take U-Turns.

Metagross: 57%
Rotom: 56%

On the bright side, Rotom is lured out, which means I can start to try and wear it down again. I switch to Blissey again. I'm guessing (and hoping) that Legacy Raider will probably predict a Heatran switch-in to cover both Rotom and Scizor and Discharge, rather than double back to Scizor.

Rotom-c used Discharge.
Blissey lost 10% of its health.

Rotom: 62%

Latias lost 7% of its health.

Blissey: 95%
Latias: 99%

LR chooses not to enter another Blissey vs. Rotom stall fest and switches in Latias to take a resisted Flamethrower. Leftovers recovery confirms that it is indeed not a Trick variant.

Latias used Calm Mind.
Latias's special attack was raised.
Latias's special defence was raised.
Latias lost 5% of its health.

Latias: 100%
Blissey: 100%

I'm now pretty wary of Scizor switching in. I can afford to give Latias a few free turns before using Toxic, but I can't afford granting Scizor the same courtesy. I'm a bit worried here at this point, though, because if Latias carries Refresh, then this means I should switch in Metagross right away before it boosts itself to the point where it is too powerful to handle.

Latias used Dragon Pulse.
Blissey lost 18% of its health.
Latias lost 5% of its health.
Latias was burned!

Latias: 87%
Blissey: 82%

Ah...shit. Now that Latias is burned, Blissey cannot poison it with Toxic, meaning that I must switch in Metagross immediately and pray that it does not have Hidden Power Fire or Surf.

Metagross lost 29% of its health.

Latias: 81%
Metagross: 34%

Metagross escapes a 2HKO by virtue of its Leftovers. I have one option and that is to Meteor Mash. By switching Metagross into Scizor and burning Latias, I have just dug a very deep hole. Latias is now a huge threat I cannot afford to let switch in, as its main counter is not in very good shape, and the only other way I can deal with it is through Explosion.

Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Rotom-c lost 28% of its health.
Metagross's attack was raised.

Rotom: 40%
Metagross: 40%

LR switches in Rotom over Gliscor, probably not wanting to chance the possibility of Ice Punch. Meteor Mash rewards me with an Attack raise that I unfortunately cannot use. I don't think Legacy Raider will want to risk me leaving in Metagross with an Attack boost, so I'm pretty sure he will attack. I don't really know if he plans on using Discharge, so again, I elect to switch in Blissey rather than Heatran.

Blissey was burned!

Rotom: 46%
Blissey: 88%

A critical hit!
Latias lost 15% of its health.

Latias: 60%
Blissey: 82%

Thankfully, without a Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse shouldn't be able to 2HKO Metagross so I can switch it in pretty safely - this time. But I feel like I'm grasping at straws at this point - I'm not playing to win right now; I'm playing to survive - which is never a good thing.

Latias used Recover.
Latias restored 40% of its health.

Metagross: 47%

Gliscor lost 51% of its health.

Gliscor: 56%
Metagross: 53%

Another unusable Attack boost. Again, I don't think LR is going to risk anything against Metagross - he's going for the safe Earthquake. Cresselia is my only option.

Cresselia makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Gliscor used Earthquake.
Gliscor's attack missed!

While I've gained some momentum by forcing Gliscor to Roost, I have no way to take advantage of it thanks to Cresselia's piss poor Special Attack. Ice Beam isn't even a 3HKO while Gliscor Roosts.
I'm not sure if LR knows that I do have Ice Beam (he probably does), but I feel that it's worth a shot to just use Psychic and try to fake him into thinking that I don't have it. Then I can try and catch him by surprise and use Ice Beam when he's not Roosting and hopefully KO Gliscor.

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 38% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 29% of its health.

Gliscor: 77%

Turns out that next turn was the ideal moment to use Ice Beam, but I thought he was going to U-Turn out immediately, and I wanted to deal some damage to Scizor.

Gliscor used Taunt.
Cresselia fell for the taunt!
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 28% of its health.

Now it's pretty pointless to Ice Beam. Gliscor will either just Roost or U-Turn: Earthquake and Taunt are not applicable in this situation. I might as well keep spamming Psychic to hit the inevitable Scizor switch-in.

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 44% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 28% of its health.

Gliscor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 20% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Scizor lost 15% of its health.

Scizor: 72%
Cresselia: 86%
Gliscor: 78%

Remember that cunning scheme LR was planning? I suspect that this is it: He plans to Pursuit my Cresselia. I can't Protect, so I won't see it coming, and without Cresselia, I will have a much harder time taking on Gliscor. Well, I'm pretty sure Pursuit doesn't KO even if I do switch, so I can switch in Magnezone, get rid of Scizor for good, and still have Cresselia.

Eo Ut Mortus switched in Magnezone.
Scizor used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Magnezone lost 100% of its health.
Eo Ut Mortus's Magnezone fainted.
Scizor's attack was lowered.
Scizor's defence was lowered.

4 - 4

Or...not. My mind reels and hindsight immediately kicks in. It made much more sense to use Superpower. Outside of Cresselia, all of my other Pokemon are destroyed by it, and as with a hypothetical Pursuit, I wouldn't be able to Protect to see it coming. Not to mention, why would he Pursuit Cresselia when he could just exploit it with Scizor?

Fortunately, Heatran now gets a free turn to wreak havoc. I don't think LR is going to sack Scizor, because if I get past Latias, Cresselia will be near impossible to beat. I'm leaning toward a Latias switch-in. The burn may have protected Latias from the more debilitating Toxic, but its presence means that Heatran can 2HKO it with Dragon Pulse if I hit it on the switch.

Rotom-c lost 31% of its health.

Rotom: 23%

It's not Latias, but I'll take it. I'm unsure if I do outspeed Rotom, and I really don't want to get paralyzed, but I'm tired of seeing this thing - I'm killing it.

Rotom-c lost 23% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Rotom-c fainted.

4 - 3 Eo Ut Mortus

The ghostly lawnmower finally sputters to a complete halt. Rotom did its job very well; it stopped Metagross from sweeping and stalled Blissey in order to give LR's other Pokemon free opportunities to switch in.

Gliscor used Earthquake.
Gliscor's attack missed!

Gliscor: 84%

Again, Ice Beam still does have a chance to KO here, but I don't take the opportunity to try. As I did last time this situation arose, I predict U-Turn and use another Psychic.

Gliscor used Taunt.
Cresselia fell for the taunt!
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 31% of its health.

Gliscor: 53%

Looking back on this, I realize that I should have just used Ice Beam to weaken Gliscor to the point where it would be in KO range for a Metagross Meteor Mash or even a Heatran Fire Blast. However, all I was thinking of was the possibility that Scizor would be switching in sometime, and that I needed to inflict as much damage on it as I could seeing as I didn't have much left that I could afford to risk. It was a valid fear, seeing as Gliscor, at 84%, could have U-Turned out to Scizor right then and there.

However, I failed to take into account my opponent's thoughts. I suspect that LR kept using Taunt because he feared Thunderwave from my Cresselia which I actually do not have. While almost everything on my team (besides Blissey) was faster than Scizor, Legacy Raider would have probably wanted to avoid being fully paralyzed at a crucial moment. I should have figured that out. After all, Scizor's slower speed meant that I could not recover any damage from U-Turn with Moonlight, so why would Legacy Raider need to prevent me from using it?

This oversight cost me two opportunities to kill Gliscor, both of which I failed to capitalize on because I thought Gliscor would U-Turn rather than Taunt.

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 40% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 31% of its health.

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 25% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
A critical hit!
Gliscor lost 57% of its health.
Cresselia's taunt wore off!

Gliscor: 49%
Cresselia: 100%

At this point, I realize that I'm running out of Psychic PP and decide "Fuck it, I'm going to Ice Beam."

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 50% of its health.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 45% of its health.

Gliscor: 60%

Since Ice Beam does about half damage, my mind still fervently insists that Legacy Raider will U-Turn out now.

Gliscor used Roost.
Gliscor restored 39% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Gliscor lost 31% of its health

Gliscor: 75%

Now?

Gliscor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 17% of its health.
Cresselia used Psychic.
Scizor lost 13% of its health.
Scizor's special defence was lowered.

Cresselia: 89%
Scizor: 59%

And now I realize that this was a pretty ill-thought plan. I knew Scizor was coming, but now I can't figure out what to do. Granted, unless I had the presence of mind to kill Gliscor, there was nothing else I could really do.

I cannot risk switching in Heatran into a Superpower. I know Cresselia barely survives U-Turn, and thanks to the lucky Special Defense drop, I will be able to inflict a tad bit more damage to Scizor with Psychic.

Cresselia used Psychic.
Scizor lost 21% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 70% of its health.
Legacy Raider switched in Gliscor

Scizor: 38%
Cresselia: 25%
Gliscor: 81%

Legacy Raider is dancing in circles around me. Cresselia is being encircled, like a Chihuahua surrounded by a pack of pitbulls, snapping desperately at its surrounding enemies but missing by margins. I forsee a Taunt and react with Ice Beam.

Gliscor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 19% of its health.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 26% of its health.

Cresselia: 12%
Latias: 55%

I suppose Legacy Raider switched in Latias because he feared both Thunderwave and Ice Beam, so he didn't want to chance a Taunt or a Scizor switch.

Latias used Recover.
Latias restored 44% of its health.

Metagross: 59%

However, Scizor was probably the better choice. Legacy Raider is in a spot of trouble now. Gliscor's Earthquake cannot KO Metagross, so it's not a completely safe switch-in. Without anything that can take a Meteor Mash on, LR is forced to sacrifice something.

Metagross lost 20% of its health.
Latias lost 63% of its health.

Metagross: 45%
Latias: 18%

That something is apparently Latias. Before finishing her off, I take the opportunity to Agility so I can outspeed Gliscor.

Metagross lost 19% of its health.
Metagross used Agility.
Metagross's speed was sharply raised.

Metagross: 32%
Latias: 12%

Latias lost 12% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Latias fainted.
Metagross's leftovers restored its health a little!
Metagross restored 6% of its health.

4 - 2 Eo Ut Mortus

Metagross: 38%

Gliscor: 81%

I run a quick damage calculation and find that even with an attack boost, Meteor Mash cannot KO Gliscor. Not to mention it could miss. What a pity that whoever started out with this Metagross opted to use Explosion rather than Ice Punch. I could Explode - but LR could switch to Scizor.

I wonder if LR knows about my predicament - or maybe he is already resigned to his fate. I think about it for a second or two, as I am running low on time (though I'm not sure it would count if I lost to time lol) and then make a decision.

Metagross used Explosion.

Scizor lost 38% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Scizor fainted.
Eo Ut Mortus's Metagross fainted.

3 - 1 Eo Ut Mortus

In the face of defeat, Legacy Raider makes a stellar prediction and the undoubtedly correct move. Now I'm up 3 to 1, but Legacy Raider has what is probably the best Pokemon to take my last three on. I do have a small chance here, a "Gliscor Contingency Plan" of sorts. Cresselia has 12% left, so my first act it to get it some health back.

Legacy Raider: ah
Legacy Raider: if you burn me with flamethrower
Legacy Raider: you win
The power of suggestion - this particular suggestion - is very, very important to this battle, and you'll see why.

Gliscor used Earthquake.
Gliscor's attack missed!

Gliscor: 87%
Cresselia: 18%

I'm not sure why he Earthquaked. I could have easily used Toxic right there and netted up the win. Regardless, I am at basically the same position I would have been if LR had Taunted.

Gliscor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Cresselia lost 18% of its health.
Eo Ut Mortus's Cresselia fainted.

2 - 1 Eo Ut Mortus

Cresselia receives an unfortunate, but somewhat unneeded critical hit, seeing as 18% is around the middle of U-Turn's damage spectrum

Okay, so it looks like I've lost. I have a Blissey vulnerable to Taunt and a Heatran vulnerable to Earthquake. However, I have a trick up my sleeve. A little damage calculation shows that:

95 Atk vs 248 Def & 323 HP (100 Base Power): 168 - 204 (52.01% - 63.16%)

This shows Heatran surviving an Earthquake from a Gliscor, despite its 4x weakness to Ground. Remember that Heatran has access to a base 91 HP and a base 106 Defense. The problem is that I have to weaken Gliscor a bit because Fire Blast is not yet a guaranteed KO. This is where the power of suggestion comes into play: Legacy Raider will want to finish off Blissey as quickly as possible, not bothering to Roost to full health because he doesn't want to risk a burn. Seismic Toss probably does more than Flamethrower, but I must Flamethrower in order to increase the pressure on LR, but without dealing too much damage to him so that he actually does end up Roosting. My targe HP is 70.34%.

Gliscor used Taunt.
Blissey fell for the taunt!
Gliscor lost 25% of its health.

Gliscor: 74%
Blissey: 88%

Gliscor used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 37% of its health.
Gliscor lost 23% of its health.

Gliscor: 57%
Blissey: 51%
ReyScarface: gogogo Blissey
Legacy Raider: don't burn
The chat further increases the tension.

Gliscor used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 33% of its health.
Gliscor lost 25% of its health.

Gliscor: 38%
Blissey: 24%

Okay. This is it. If Gliscor chooses to finish off Blissey right here, rather than Roost, I think I've got this won.

Gliscor used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 24% of its health.
Eo Ut Mortus's Blissey fainted.

1 - 1

Gliscor: 44%

We enter the final stage of battle with polar opposite expectations.

Legacy Raider: phew
Legacy Raider: close one mate :P
Eo Ut Mortus: hehe
Eo Ut Mortus: twist if I don't miss
Eo Ut Mortus: or crit
I check Dragon Pulse and it doesn't even KO, so I will opt to use Fire Blast. If it doesn't miss, I've won.

But wait! You know that damage calculation I posted earlier? About Heatran surviving Gliscor's Earthquake? I glance at it, and notice that I had inputted 95 as the attack...which is Gliscor's base attack. The actual, accurate damage calculation:

236 Atk vs 248 Def & 323 HP (100 Base Power): 408 - 484 (126.32% - 149.85%)

Oops.

Despite this, my heart is still pounding with anticipation as I click the final button indicating my last attack: Fire Blast. A futile attack, a final command to Heatran that will remain unobeyed, for Gliscor's Earthquake will wipe away all of its HP before Heatran can even think to act. Regardless, good game, Legacy Raider. Well played.

Ending's on the other side.

Gliscor used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 73% of its health.
The Shuca Berry weakened Earthquake's power!
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Gliscor lost 46% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Gliscor fainted.
Eo Ut Mortus wins!

ReyScarface: OOOOOOOF
ReyScarface's exclamation is an accurate portrayal of all the air that has just escaped my lungs. I breathe a sight of relief, and LR and I say our "gg's."

Morals:

1. Beware of assuming things. Assuming that Heatran was choiced, assuming that LR knew I didn't have Protect or Thunderwave...there could've been even more punishable assumptions here, like Trick Latias.

2. Stealth Rock is important. Nobody set up Stealth Rock in this battle, but if I had, Scizor would have probably died on the final switch-in and Explosion would have failed. If Legacy Raider had, Heatran would have died (Earthquake left it with 9%).

3. Don't be psyched out by the Shoddy Chat. Not everyone plans as cunningly as Legacy Raider does. "Hmm..." can be indicative of both "I'm going to Pursuit your Blissey" and "I wonder if I could be prosecuted for throwing broccoli at my crazy neighbor."

4. A word on bluffing Scarf on Tran. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's beautiful. Spamming Dragon Pulse a lot is a decent way to do it, as it lures in easily exploitable Steel-types, whereas Fire Blast can lure in actual Choice Scarf Heatran and Earth Power can lure in stuff like Salamence. If you're daring, you might even try and switch it in on a Lucario Swords Dance.

Props:

-Legacy Raider, for being a great opponent.
-Heatran, for being the best Pokemon in DPP.
-Gliscor, for being bad ass.

Slops:

-Do excuse the lengthiness of this. And the lack of color (blasphemy I know).

Disclaimer: Parts of this story were fictionalized not affecting the outcome (Just the damage calcs for EQ on Heatran, I actually did do those calculations, but with Shuca in mind. But nobody likes spoiling the ending of a story like saying hermione dies at the end of the seventh book oops)

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Even though it's the WRONG GODDAMNED BATTLE, I love it! Yet another thing you excel at....will the list ever stop? *****

edit: i had to read it again. I had to! it was that good! Archive bound, for sure

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Post before Archived. This warstory was awesome and my Heatran's item question wasn't answered until the end but if Fire Blast missed I would have laughed my ass off. Great story Heatran was amazing in this.

This is, by far, the best warstory I've ever read. I loved how you paved the way for the brilliant ending with very tight, masterful language, and, by extension, didn't bore us with excessive commentary; you included only your thoughts as they pertained to the battle, which made for an easy and quick read as well as an entertaining one.

I only have two minor nitpicks--one, you list the score as 3-1 in two places in your warstory when the score is actually 3-2 (LR still had Scizor and Gliscor left); and two, you call yourself Eo Ut Mortus throughout the battle but at one point you call yourself Sitzmark.

Otherwise, bloody amazing.

This was incredible. I skipped over parts of the beggining, but somehow you caught my interest midway through and hooked me until the end.

Well played, well formatted. An obvious 5-star.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Legacy Raider takes the safe route and sends in Rotom(Mower)
And another one somewhere, but I forgot where.

Anyway, nice battle. You really had to work with what you were given.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Even though it's the WRONG GODDAMNED BATTLE, I love it! Yet another thing you excel at....will the list ever stop? *****

edit: i had to read it again. I had to! it was that good! Archive bound, for sure
The finals were boring. It probably had something to do with the opponent.

XIIIII said:
Wow, i'm jealous of your warstory skills... Amazing, Eo.
Thanks! I'm personally jealous of your defiance to Roman numerals. :p

TheFourthChaser said:
Post before Archived. This warstory was awesome and my Heatran's item question wasn't answered until the end but if Fire Blast missed I would have laughed my ass off. Great story Heatran was amazing in this.
I would've gone crazy if it had missed lol.

Super Effective said:
This is, by far, the best warstory I've ever read. I loved how you paved the way for the brilliant ending with very tight, masterful language, and, by extension, didn't bore us with excessive commentary; you included only your thoughts as they pertained to the battle, which made for an easy and quick read as well as an entertaining one.

I only have two minor nitpicks--one, you list the score as 3-1 in two places in your warstory when the score is actually 3-2 (LR still had Scizor and Gliscor left); and two, you call yourself Eo Ut Mortus throughout the battle but at one point you call yourself Sitzmark.

Otherwise, bloody amazing.
Fixed the name issue (Find and Replace failed me apparently). I played this battle on an alt but replaced the names so it wouldn't be confusing. I can only find one 3 - 1 score, though.

And another one somewhere, but I forgot where.

Anyway, nice battle. You really had to work with what you were given.
I think I only mentioned it once. I guess it would be wrong if it were a real word, but I think it's fine with only one "m".

And thanks to all for reading this.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Hehe, i saw this live, and i have to say it was an amazing battle. Great job Mortus, excellent warstory, keep it going man

Edit: Lol, just noticed my comments there x)
Edit 2: GOD DAMNIT LR, I planned reading that fucking Harry Potter book in vacations, thanks bro >:(

That was a very excellent warstory. You really had me led on that Heatran was gonna die, and it pulled a Shuca out of nowhere! I so thought it had an Expert Belt or something!

A little more color would be nice, but I appreciate the simplicity as well. Maybe just small icons for health? The amazing writing, battle, and suspense made up for that two times over though!

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This warstory just adds to the "Eo Ut Mortus is amazing" theme. Seriously, probably the best warstory I've read to be honest... Nice insight on how to scout an opponent's team and assess the situation, I learned a good bit.

I take it no used like a level one pokemon so they were essentally battling 6-5. And great battle. That magnezone would have really been usefull in that battle.

I loved the thought process shown in the battle. I learned something too! See, I do most of my planning before the battle, probably when I build my team and structure it specifically for a certain poke to sweep. This 'should I keep the cycle going' is really good :).

Easily the best warstory I've read, and that's not a hyperbole. You had both excitement and insight, and that's a rare combination. Most warstories don't get me this glued to the screen.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is quite possibly the best warstory i have read. Ever. An amazing battle, and the comments made me feel i was right there with you.

I had heard whispers on the wind about the epicosity of this battle from Legacy Raider ( at the time he was telling me about said Gliscor ) and reading it through I found it very enjoyable and insightful. Good Game :)

This is easily one of the best warstories i have read. The last turn was so unexpected. I was thinking heatran had an expert belt through the whole battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)