Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong: Skill swap is supposed to remove the abilities off of pokemon and if that pokemon skill swap dies, they take the ability with them.

In one of my games, I was using Deoxys speed to set up hazards and my opponent sends out yvaltal to counter my psychic type, is what I would presume, so I outspeed him get my rocks out on my first tern and get knocked down to my focus sash by a dark pulse. I planned to keep skill swap to mess over primal-Kyogre and Ultra-Necrazma and seeing that I can handle life without Deoxys speed I decided to inconvenience the being of destruction. I may not have paid too much attention to see if this particular psychic move would affect this dark type. However when the yvaltal returned it had its aura and pushed the balance in the game to the point where I would lose. I feel as if this would be a bug and should be tested.

Thank you for looking into this.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this custom title?

upload_2017-11-24_15-26-53.png

I asked the room a bunch and got nothing. I'd really hate having to bother an admin for this.

Has this been solved?
I looked into what happened.

Zarel merged the Challenge Cup and Hackmons Cup team generation code in November of 2016. However, there was a subtle difference between the two team generators. The old Challenge Cup team generator initially allowed all forms, but then disallowed the following forms later:
  • All Mega Evolutions
  • All Primal Reversions
  • Aegislash-Blade
  • All Arceus forms (except Arceus-Normal)
  • All Castform forms (except regular Castform)
  • Cherrim-Sunshine
  • Darmanitan-Zen
  • All Genesect forms (except regular Genesect)
  • Meloetta-Pirouette
  • Minior-Meteor
  • Mimikyu-Busted
Unfortunately Zarel replaced it with the Hackmons Cup team generator, which also disallows the following Pokémon:
  • Basculin-Blue-Striped
  • All Deoxys forms (except regular Deoxys)
  • Giratina-Origin
  • All Gourgeist forms (except regular Gourgeist)
  • Hoopa-Unbound
  • Keldeo-Resolute
  • All Oricorio forms (except Oricorio-Baile)
  • All Pumpkaboo forms (except regular Pumpkaboo)
  • Shaymin-Sky
  • All Silvally forms (except Silvally-Normal)
  • All Therian forms
  • All Zygarde forms (except Zygarde-50%)
I've created a PR to address this.

Unfortunately Zarel replaced it with the Hackmons Cup team generator, which also disallows the following Pokémon
So what now ? Did you bring them back in the future ?

The old Challenge Cup team generator initially allowed all forms, but then disallowed the following forms later
That means that you want to disallowed forms from your first list, but after generator change forms from second list are disallowed and after all forms from first list are still allowed ?

Well the simplest solution it would be a creation most complete generator but i don't know do you still want banned some forms from that mode. If not ? Nothing stands in the way. I understand that it takes time (or not ? and this is very easy and quick :heart:).

Thank you for answer for all my questions and please write what you plan to do with it ;) I love play CC 1v1, but from a long time i felt that is not complete. Even without looking on stats

Last edited:
That means that you want to disallowed forms from your first list, but after generator change forms from second list are disallowed and after all forms from first list are still allowed ?
After my change, the forms in the second list are now allowed in Challenge Cup again; those in the first list are still not allowed. However, forms in both lists are now allowed in Hackmons Cup, which is a breaking change.

After my change, the forms in the second list are now allowed in Challenge Cup again; those in the first list are still not allowed. However, forms in both lists are now allowed in Hackmons Cup, which is a breaking change.
Nice ;) All Mega Evolutions are on the first list but they were and are in pool. Just you added them to bad list in this post. Offcourse if are lucky and you roll mega stone with them. This is good that they are rare

You can see it in stats:
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-10/gen7challengecup1v1-0.txt

Also Primal Kyogre and Graudon they're there but are rare.

Thank you for solving that puzzle

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this so if it isn't sorry, but does anyone know the recommended background size for a background in the roomintro? Assuming background size is universal of course. I just recently had my private room created and when I attempt to add a background image to it it's stretched and ugly (background-size:100%) and I can't find a height px to accommodate for it. If anyone can help that'll be great, I'll pm the HTML code.

Are Smogon's tier lists really accurate or balanced for competitive Pokemon?

It seems like they have no idea what they were doing with some of their placements. Almost as if the tier list was made by people who have only played solo battles; and never used non-attacking supportive moves. I guess it makes sense, since it was made by a large community, that it would be skewed by the opinions of bad players and people who aren't used to advanced strategies, but competent players can look at it and see it's mistakes right away.

I understand that it's focused around single battles, but they still have super silly tier placements even in that game mode. Have the people who made that tier list ever even used a defensively built Pokemon?

Last edited:
Are Smogon's tier lists remotely accurate or balanced for competitive Pokemon?

It seems like they have no idea what they were doing with some of their placements. Almost as if the tier list was made by people who have only played solo battles; and never used non-attacking supportive moves. I guess it makes sense, since it was made by a large community, that it would be skewed by the opinions of bad players and people who aren't used to advanced strategies, but competent players can look at it and see it's mistakes right away.

I understand that it's focused around single battles, but they still have super silly tier placements even in that game mode. Have the people who made that tier list ever even used a defensively built Pokemon?
Smogon tiers are based on usage. If a Pokemon drops below 3.406% usage in a tier, it drops to the tier below it. When playing in a given tier, Pokemon from higher tiers are not allowed, but Pokemon from lower tiers are fair game. At the end of each month, usage is calculated, and tiers are readjusted accordingly. If a Pokemon is deemed unhealthy for a certain tier, they are placed in separate, non-usage based tiers. Pokemon banned from OU are placed in Ubers, Pokemon banned from UU are placed in BL, Pokemon banned from RU and placed in BL2, and so on. The idea is to allow as many Pokemon as possible to thrive in. I'm not sure what you mean by there not being any top tier defensive Pokemon, as the likes of Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex are all OU.

You might also be thinking of viability rankings. Viability rankings are separate from tiers, as while tiers are based strictly on usage, viability rankings are a measure of how well a given Pokemon performs in a given tier. Not all Pokemon in a given tier perform equally as well, and sometimes a Pokemon from a lower tier will have a small but effective niche that warrants being ranked, even if it isn't used enough to be placed in that tier. For example, Gastrodon has a B viability rank in the OU tier, due to being able to take hits from things like Greninja and Tapu Koko. However, it doesn't have enough usage to be OU, and since the things it walls aren't allowed in UU, RU, or NU, it dropped all the way to PU. Due to the subjective nature of viability rankings, they are decided right here in the forums (for reference, here is the viability ranking thread for OU, though all tiers have one). Anyone can nominate a Pokemon is rise or drop in viability, or give their thoughts on an other's nomination. Every week or so, a team of knowledgeable users vote on the nominations. Once again, I don't know where this "no defense" mentality of yours is coming from, as Chansey is A-, Ferrothorn is A+, and Toxapex is freaking S rank.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
How exactly does [[text]] decide to link you to a specific place? What is the tech behind it?

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-668441063
I shared this replay of mine with some friends and they said this method of giving Shedinja Sturdy in doubles by mimicking Entrainment onto a poke with Sturdy and then using Entrainment on Shedinja was a bug with Showdown. I didn't see it anywhere on the known bugs thread so just want to know if it is a bug or if this is 100% possible as of USUM, thank you.
The one that doesn't work on a Wonder Guard Pokémon is Skill Swap. Entertainment will work, as this video shows (it's in French and it's a gen 6 game but I'm fairly sure this hasn't changed as of gen 7)

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I am aware that Zarel recently suggested to let all similar animations play at the same time.
But this also meant that weather damages now no longer hits the faster pokemon first. Is this intentional?
Now, I know that you can still check that in the battle log, but the battle log is hidden in Hardcore mode, which I thought was something to keep in mind.

Does smogon.com/stats/ usually take this long to update? If it is longer than usual, then is it because of the new game releases?

Rankings shown by searching for a player here only include the W/L ratio if you're logged in to the specific account you search for. Rankings shown by typing /rank include the W/L ratio regardless.

Is there a reason that W/L is conditionally hidden only for the linked version?

for some time, the pokemon showdown showed the total damage of the moves, calculated the STAB, is there any way or some filter that I can use that does the same? that it shows the calculated total damage of the move?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)