Arbok

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
Wall =/= Stat up pokemon. both poison jab and gunk shot are good options. The former helps against moltres and pp stalling by steel type (well registeel doesn't really want to switch in but W/E) and has immediate accuracy in the event that arbok doesn't get up enough coils, while the latter has immediate power.

Also, I'd really like to see more realistic spreads; all of these arbok sets should be running 252 HP and 252 SpD IMO; no clue why you guys run speed (to tie with everything in UU.. lol; I think the only thing that is actually harmful to Arbok in that speed tier in UU is.. maybe Blaziken?) or attack (Arbok barely stings anyway with its lolful base 85 attack); its defenses should be 252 HP and 252 Def or SpD on all sets; Arbok is aiming to set up, not to sweep.

Wall =/= Stat up pokemon. both poison jab and gunk shot are good options. The former helps against moltres and pp stalling by steel type (well registeel doesn't really want to switch in but W/E) and has immediate accuracy in the event that arbok doesn't get up enough coils, while the latter has immediate power.

Also, I'd really like to see more realistic spreads; all of these arbok sets should be running 252 HP and 252 SpD IMO; no clue why you guys run speed (to tie with everything in UU.. lol; I think the only thing that is actually harmful to Arbok in that speed tier in UU is.. maybe Blaziken?) or attack (Arbok barely stings anyway with its lolful base 85 attack); its defenses should be 252 HP and 252 Def or SpD on all sets; Arbok is aiming to set up, not to sweep.
Even if your aim is to "set up not sweep" without having some Atk EVs it takes to long for his Atk to be useable.

Coil + Gunk Shot is great. Whats Coil's accuracy boost? Is it multiplied by 1.5 after one boost? That would be beast. Gunk Shot = 105% accuracy after one, and a bonus Bulk Up boost.

Yeah, imo it's just stupid using poison jab.

Most pokemon with pressure have gotten a new ability, so pressure will be more uncommon. If you're being pp stalled, you should coil up, not continue attacking with poison jab.

And as I said, you'd need to attack 13 for poison jab to start becoming more efficient.

i think the main selling point with arbok is

first shed skin intimidate can be good but using coil you lose one turn and gets the chance your oponent might paralyze you or burn you or even sleep you thats why shed skin is important and now with all those pokemons who get priority status moves its even better to have shed skin you could be a status absorber

second coil + gunk shot thats the the best thing arbok can have i mean poison jab has only 80BP and coil gets good ACC after coil and has the same 30% poison chance

third earthquack/aqua tail/seed bomb most oponents will switch to an stell type to absorb gunkshot or a ground type wich resist poison and can earthquack you so you need on of this moves for coverage

then it has some extras like suker punch for fasters pokemons and fangs in case it migh need

Yeah Arbok has REALLY good coverage :3
Arbok has pretty good neutral coverage, though it wishes it could get STAB on EQ, however even with all four move slots it's hard pressed to hit more than 5-6 types Super Effective. Poison and Earthquake only hit Grass, Steel, and Rock for Super Effective damage (Skarmory laughs at this combo, being immune to both types).

Arbok has pretty good neutral coverage, though it wishes it could get STAB on EQ, however even with all five move slots it's hard pressed to hit more than 5-6 types Super Effective. Poison and Earthquake only hit Grass, Steel, and Rock for Super Effective damage (Skarmory laughs at this combo, being immune to both types).
1) "with all five move slots". Fail

2) i had never planned to have Arbok even compete in OU with Skarmory but that why we have pokemon that help Arbok with Skarmory, such as Claydol

1) "with all five move slots". Fail

2) i had never planned to have Arbok even compete in OU with Skarmory but that why we have pokemon that help Arbok with Skarmory, such as Claydol
Lol, five move slots >.<

And there won't be any teirs for Generation V until things settle. Not that I expect Arbok to be OU. Also against Skarmory, primarily a Defensive Phazer, a Defensive core doesn't really function to well, thanks to Whirlwind shuffling them around. I think one Pokémon that Arbok can function well with is Zapdos. Skarmory run in fear, he's immune to Earthquake, carries Heatwave for a certain Steel / Ground and HP Grass for others.

Arbok has pretty good neutral coverage, though it wishes it could get STAB on EQ, however even with all four move slots it's hard pressed to hit more than 5-6 types Super Effective. Poison and Earthquake only hit Grass, Steel, and Rock for Super Effective damage (Skarmory laughs at this combo, being immune to both types).
Eh? Earthquake hits Fire, Electric and Poison types for super effective damage as well. If you manage a third moveslot for Seed Bomb you can add Water and Ground to that list for a total of 8. Of course you wouldn't want to face Skarmory with it, but that is just one pokemon.

Eh? Earthquake hits Fire, Electric and Poison types for super effective damage as well. If you manage a third moveslot for Seed Bomb you can add Water and Ground to that list for a total of 8. Of course you wouldn't want to face Skarmory with it, but that is just one pokemon.
My brain is gone today, first talking about five move slots, then forgetting that ground is SE against Electric...I think something is wrong with me =P.

I did some short testing with Arbok, and it seems pretty potent. Although, it did require more support than I give it but still. With Gunk Shot, EQ and Sucker Punch, Arbok hits everything in the game for neutral coverage....bar Skarmory. I don't know why people are complaining about that. Skarmory has a 99.9% chance of NOT being in the same tier as Arbok anyway.

But yeah, Sucker Punch not only rounds out his coverage, but gives him something to hit those inevitable incoming Psychic types. And priority. Really, he couldn't have asked for better moves.

I think Intimidate is the superior option to allow Arbok the chance to get a few Coil Ups in.

Speaking of neutral coverage, don't Dragon + Fire offer neutral to most bar Heatran? Shouldn't Arbok most ALWAYS want Dragon Tail to keep them entry hazards around?

Speaking of Fire... Sunny Day (or Drought) + Fire Fang 'help' Arbok's perentages slightly. What about Screech and Pursuit/DragonTail?

I'd rather Stockpile than Coil. What kinda pet snake only wants one doomed piece of meat anyway?

Coil is amazing!!

Speaking of which though, how does it get it? I didn't see it in the level up moves section

Speaking of neutral coverage, don't Dragon + Fire offer neutral to most bar Heatran? Shouldn't Arbok most ALWAYS want Dragon Tail to keep them entry hazards around?

Speaking of Fire... Sunny Day (or Drought) + Fire Fang 'help' Arbok's perentages slightly. What about Screech and Pursuit/DragonTail?

I'd rather Stockpile than Coil. What kinda pet snake only wants one doomed piece of meat anyway?
Well firstly, Fire Fang and Dragon tail both have pitiful BP, which Arbok really can't have. Secondly EQ is a pretty great 100BP, and Sucker Punch is a 80BP priority. Basically, Fire Fang and Dragon Tail are really outclassed.

And Stockpile only boosts defences, meaning Arbok will do pitiful damage to whatever comes in.

One that wants raw power from Gunk Shot without having worse accuracy than 'the worst move in the game'.
Exactly. Poison is a god-awful offensive type, especially as its Arbok's only STAB, so it may as well use a 120BP STAB attack with boosted accuracy if it can get it, even if it isn't ideal.

Coil is amazing!!

Speaking of which though, how does it get it? I didn't see it in the level up moves section
Pretty sure I seen it listed in Bulbapedia in the learnset, second last move it learns, before Gunk Shot.

Glare's accuracy boost and coil are great for Arbok, but that's all he really got. He deserved a better DW ability, something like overconfidence.

THink you could post the base stats please? :) With all the talk about it's slow speed and it's stat up move, a ref would be nice. In the meantime I'll look em up on Smogon.

80 Speed actually isn't that terrible, though. :0 It's definitely no sweeper spread, but it's certainly not Steelix (slow as continental drift) either.

Coil is probably Arbok's best chance at cobbling together a "sweeper" set. The Defense raise is nice, so maybe run max HP max Spl Def with Coil, and try to attempt to a sweep? Atleast it has a nice movepool.

If coil is a level up then trading a Arbok from the 4th gen will be usefull as he gets a nifty move that can disrupt alot of strategies: Switcheroo

Im thinking of a lead set like this:
Arkok @ Choice Scarf/Choice band
Adamant/Jolly
252 atk/252 speed/4hp
Coil
Switcheroo
Earthquake
Gunk Shot/Poison jab/Poison tail/Crunch

Has some uses as a lead if you get the idea.
Just for reference Switcheroo is a dark type version of Trick which can be learned via egg move in hgss only

I was hurting my brain trying to come up with decent coverage in two moves with Poison.

Shed Skin
<Would need to test EVs/Nature>

~Coil
~Gunk Shot
~Earthquake/Aqua Tail
~Rest/Sucker Punch/Fire Fang

Should be OK in the lower tiers with fewer Steels and even fewer floating ones.

I don't really understand why people are still trying to think of good coverage moves. Gunk Shot/EQ/Sucker Punch are not only some of the highest BP moves that Arbok gets, but are only resisted by Skarmory. And they give him priority. I think thats the best that can be achieved.

I think at this point we should be trying to figure out what supports Arbok well. I've tested (minimally) Arbok along with Barujiina, and they seem like a good fit. Not only is Barujiina immune to both of Arboks weaknesses, but it is a seriously bulky Pokemon that could help swing the tide of the match back after forcing a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)