Applying to college

Hopefully this hasn't already been addressed in the thread, I just don't wanna fish through pages. I'm a junior in high school who just finished taking the ACT in March and I'm taking my SAT in two weeks. I got a score of 31 on the ACT, so I'm gonna try my best to get a high score on my SAT. I know colleges look at many aspects of your life, from athletics to community service. I just wanna know how much weight my two test scores will hold when it comes to getting into a good college (my dream school is UNC-Chapel Hill). My GPA (3.69) falls just a bit behind those they accepted this past year (4.0) as well as my class rank (Top 25% compared to their Top 10%). Those two parts are what worry me. Thanks in advance for any help/advice I get, I honestly don't know enough about these sort of things, when I should. I'm kind of just going through the motions when it comes to life.

Hopefully this hasn't already been addressed in the thread, I just don't wanna fish through pages. I'm a junior in high school who just finished taking the ACT in March and I'm taking my SAT in two weeks. I got a score of 31 on the ACT, so I'm gonna try my best to get a high score on my SAT. I know colleges look at many aspects of your life, from athletics to community service. I just wanna know how much weight my two test scores will hold when it comes to getting into a good college (my dream school is UNC-Chapel Hill). My GPA (3.69) falls just a bit behind those they accepted this past year (4.0) as well as my class rank (Top 25% compared to their Top 10%). Those two parts are what worry me. Thanks in advance for any help/advice I get, I honestly don't know enough about these sort of things, when I should. I'm kind of just going through the motions when it comes to life.
Is the 3.69 weighted or unweighted? An unweighted 3.69 is somewhat decent for an average UNC-CH applicant. To increase your profile as an applicant, I would try raising the 31 ACT score to a minimum of 35 (or 34). It roughly equates to a range between 1500-1560 on the new SAT exam (2250-2340 on old).

Another important aspect they will look at is the extracurriculars they will look at. If you didn't do much in terms of extracurriculars (i.e. sports, volunteering, school clubs), then you'll have a significantly hard time trying to get into UNC-Chapel Hill given your GPA and current ACT score.

Is the 3.69 weighted or unweighted? An unweighted 3.69 is somewhat decent for an average UNC-CH applicant. To increase your profile as an applicant, I would try raising the 31 ACT score to a minimum of 35 (or 34). It roughly equates to a range between 1500-1560 on the new SAT exam (2250-2340 on old).

Another important aspect they will look at is the extracurriculars they will look at. If you didn't do much in terms of extracurriculars (i.e. sports, volunteering, school clubs), then you'll have a significantly hard time trying to get into UNC-Chapel Hill given your GPA and current ACT score.
That's unweighted, my weighted is 4.4. I do have community service hours, since it's a requirement at my school. I also run track and participate in Science Olympiad. I'm gonna do a few more things next year to bulk up my resume. My mom wants me to retake the ACT, so I may just do that. I know for a fact that with my scores I can get into East Carolina, who has a good nursing program too so I'll look into things and see if I'll just be content with that. Thank you for replying.

That's unweighted, my weighted is 4.4. I do have community service hours, since it's a requirement at my school. I also run track and participate in Science Olympiad. I'm gonna do a few more things next year to bulk up my resume. My mom wants me to retake the ACT, so I may just do that. I know for a fact that with my scores I can get into East Carolina, who has a good nursing program too so I'll look into things and see if I'll just be content with that. Thank you for replying.
Also, your Commonapp (or whatever UNC uses) essays are very, very important. Make sure to start working on it as soon as possible.

Are you only interested in in-state schools? I know a bunch of other schools with strong pre-health programs outside of North Carolina.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
They take the best of either test. Your essays are going to matter more at this point than adding another extracurricular at the last minute (adcoms are not dumb and do notice that).

Also more info on UNC: http://oira.unc.edu/files/2015/05/cds_2014_2015.pdf. Take a breather when they say class rank is "important" and not "very important".

I just went through the college process, and I believe it would be best to retake your ACT at least once more (unless you do really well on the SAT). Your extracurriculars are pretty solid, so my main advice would be to keep your GPA up (4.4 is good, but 3.69 could be a little better) to give you the best possible chance. As for the essay, once they release it and you write your first draft, try to get 3-4 people to look over it and make suggestions. Sometimes it sounds good in your head, but it might not be as much of a cohesive thought to an outside person.

In all seriousness, are you looking to go into the STEM fields? Duke is a solid choice, especially if you're interested in engineering (which your extracurriculars seem to suggest).

I'm exclusively interested in schools in my state due to reasons that need me to stay at least somewhat close to home. And I've been reached out to by a local university about participating in a STEM program, but I'm deadset on nursing, so I don't really have an interest in STEM.

Btw if you guys go into business just keep in mind that you're going to have to sell your soul to clubs, charities, and other things to make your resume worth looking at. Good grades aren't enough to get you by due to how competitive and popular these programs can be.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Btw if you guys go into business just keep in mind that you're going to have to sell your soul to clubs, charities, and other things to make your resume worth looking at. Good grades aren't enough to get you by due to how competitive and popular these programs can be.
Spot on. Don't underestimate the power of GPA cutoffs, though. You can sell your soul to the clubs and charities and it won't matter if you don't get past the firm's GPA cutoff (and rounding doesn't work, either, 3.49999999 is NOT a 3.5). Take easy classes your freshman year because people DGAF that you took Real Analysis freshman year like Bill Gates did at Harvard (unless you're the second coming of Bill Gates, that is.) Lots of firms have so many applicants so using GPAs is an easy way to weed out people. Keep that in control and then do all the craziness afterwards that you enjoy. Less is more with this stuff because people know when you're doing stuff for the resume. Employers aren't idiots, but the recruiting software definitely is. Keep that in mind when internship season and job hunting season comes around.

Spot on. Don't underestimate the power of GPA cutoffs, though. You can sell your soul to the clubs and charities and it won't matter if you don't get past the firm's GPA cutoff (and rounding doesn't work, either, 3.49999999 is NOT a 3.5). Take easy classes your freshman year because people DGAF that you took Real Analysis freshman year like Bill Gates did at Harvard (unless you're the second coming of Bill Gates, that is.) Lots of firms have so many applicants so using GPAs is an easy way to weed out people. Keep that in control and then do all the craziness afterwards that you enjoy. Less is more with this stuff because people know when you're doing stuff for the resume. Employers aren't idiots, but the recruiting software definitely is. Keep that in mind when internship season and job hunting season comes around.
That's indeed a very good point. Many companies, especially the ones with good PR and reputation, have enough talented recruits to choose from and thus have no need to implement a tedious and expensive recruitment strategy. Nevertheless, I feel that at least compared to STEM degrees, a business major's 2nd priority (other than grades) is to develop a network, gain work experience, and gain relevant contacts that will be pivotal in terms of getting a job after graduation. Basically GPA>relevant contacts>work experience>volunteering in that order.

Or, you know, you could use college to actually try to learn stuff. GPA matters way less than you think.
I think this is somewhat disingenuous. If you're applying to certain fields, there are computer programs that will literally throw out your application if you don't meet a hidden GPA requirement (lots of my friends' parents work in admissions at various medical schools). The obvious GOAL of college is to learn, but you absolutely DO need to worry about GPA. In an ideal world you could put all your focus into learning, but I don't think doing so is very realistic.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Have to agree with Harsha here. If your GPA isn't high, you WILL have a problem finding internships and eventually jobs in engineering. A lot of jobs and internships will deny applicants under a 3.0 without even looking at the application, while many others set the bar at 3.2 or 2.8. When it comes to employment, look at your GPA as an indicator of the number of opportunities you'll have out of college. If you have a 4.0, nobody's going to deny you an interview (but they absolutely will deny you a job if you bomb it!). If you have a 2.5, you better pray to God you have some sort of connection. There are plenty of companies that put less of a focus on GPA and are more liberal with giving interview opportunities, but someone with a 2.9 probably has half of the employment prospects that someone with a 3.1 has.

If you're looking to go into industry, your GPA matters up to a point. The differences between a 3.7 and a 3.5 and a 3.3 are pretty insignificant, especially if there are balancing factors like research experience, relevant extracurriculars, etc. Companies look to hire people, not numbers. Once you get in an interview room your GPA couldn't matter less. There are plenty of 3.8+ students that do not have personal skills or relevant experience, and there are plenty of 3.1 students that do. If a hiring manager has to choose between a 3.9 student who can't interview and a 3.1 student who can, they're going to take the 3.1 more often than not.

tl;dr: GPA gets you an interview, skills and experience get you a job.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Believe me I'm well aware of losing out on interviews because of not having a stellar GPA. That was my experience plenty often in college.

But beyond getting hired for your first job out of school, no one will ever care about your GPA. They will care about if you have relevant useful skills to contribute. Some of these skills you will learn on previous internships, which, yes, are harder to get if you have a lower GPA. But most of it will come from taking a challenging AND rewarding (note: not challenging just for the sake of challenging) courseload.

I will tell you there is zero chance I'd have landed the job I landed had I not taken a 400 level stat class, even though I got a C in it. I also wouldn't have gotten it had I not challenged myself to do heavy quant analysis in my senior thesis.

Moreover, taking a challenging courseload is about more than just learning more. It's also about learning how to learn. When new tasks come up at a job that you're not familiar with, no one is there to handhold you. You should be used to being challenged and being resourceful and figuring stuff out even when it's hard. I had many coworkers at internships throughout college who got the job based on GPA. They were, being totally honest, often really bad workers on the job because they weren't used to having to work hard.

I do agree it's probably different for engineering students. By all accounts I've heard from my engineering student friends, landing the right internship or co-ops is incredibly important. Probably also true for some more "trade school" type majors like nursing and architecture and accounting.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I'm committing to Bard College at Simon's Rock today! I was graciously granted scholarships totaling ~$50,000 so I'm really fortunate to be going to this school. This is the end of my junior year, but they are an accelerated/early college that accepts high school students before graduation in order to begin degree paths early. I'm likely to pursue a degree in performance arts/film. :toast:

So in short, when someone tells you that for engineer
I'm committing to Bard College at Simon's Rock today! I was graciously granted scholarships totaling ~$50,000 so I'm really fortunate to be going to this school. This is the end of my junior year, but they are an accelerated/early college that accepts high school students before graduation in order to begin degree paths early. I'm likely to pursue a degree in performance arts/film. :toast:
I thought you were much older :o, but nonetheless congratulations on your acceptance!

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I just committed to UMD College Park! :D

Tough choice between this and UMBC since I got scholarship there, but UMD is so much cooler tbh. I got into the scholars Living and Learning Program which I heard a lot of good things about, so hyped for that! And I also heard there's a lot of pokemon players at UMD!!

Can't wait.

n)_(n

Tough choice between this and UMBC since I got scholarship there, but UMD is so much cooler tbh. I got into the scholars Living and Learning Program which I heard a lot of good things about, so hyped for that! And I also heard there's a lot of pokemon players at UMD!!

Can't wait.

n)_(n
Legit RIP. Scholars is going to be a nightmare. But nonetheless welcome to UMCP.

Stratos

Banned deucer.

Can't wait.

n)_(n
sup. i'm college park. unlike eaglehawk i like this school. what's your major?

Hiiiiii, I'm a somewhat nontraditional student in that I spent 4 years at community college part time while working in order to save money for a University. I imagine most people in this thread are applying straight from high school but maybe someone could have some advice for me anyways I hope. I'll be graduating from CC next month and I'm applying for a couple universities that have a partnership with my CC so I can transfer fully as a junior, but really the only one I actually want to go to is the University of Pittsburgh. I've noticed browsing through their website that I'm applying to one of the few programs that requires an essay for transfer students. The guidelines for it are very loose though and I'm one to stress about everything so I was just wondering a couple things. The only guideline given for length was that it should be less than 8 pages, but most of my friends say they only wrote like one or two pages for their entrance essays? Would around 2 or 3 be enough? Also, I'm kind of confused on how scholarly I should really get with it. The prompt asks that I explain why I chose to pursue the field, what do I think I have to gain from the education, and what do I think is one of the most pressing social issues of our time (I'm a Social Work major.) For the first two questions I just gave pretty much personal anecdote and opinion as was asked, but should I be going deep for the third question? Like is a detailed and researched essay expected of this? My friends who applied in high school said they don't think it's really that serious but I don't wanna do too much or too little I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)