Other Metagames [Anything Goes] Just another Baton Pass team

In a previous RMT, I presented my team, which was unfortunately quite inadequate and unprepared. I have revamped many aspects of it, especially the EVs, which were without reason at the time.

Introduction

This team obviously consists of 6 Baton Passers, with the end goal being a sweep with Espeon or Smeargle. Also, note that none of the nicknames are meant to be accurate in any way whatsoever.

Viability Testing

I peaked #1 on the ladder post Marshadow with this team, with 1967 Elo points.
I peaked again in USUM with 2059 Elo and 93.3% GXE.

#1 at the time was whirlofdestruction who's a confirmed booster so this kinda counts as a peak.

The Team

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 240 Def / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Protect
- Iron Defense
  • Analysis

Scolipede is a great speed passer that also learns Iron Defense. It is tanky enough to withstand all physcial Arceus forms (besides Rockceus if anyone does physical Rockceus for whatever reason), Primal Groudon, Zygarde, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y using Psystrike, and Ho-oh without a Choice Band.

It holds Mental Herb to scout Taunts from Mega Gengar, Mega Mewtwo, Yveltal, and others, while getting a Substitute in place.

• EV Explanation

With 188+ Speed, Scolipede outspeeds 252+ Deoxys-Speed after one speed boost. Since it's a defense passer that will be competing against Uber attackers, I put as much defense on it as possible while still allowing it to place four subs (HP = X/4 + 1). 240 Defense is the highest that conforms to this, and I put the rest into HP.

• Important Calcs

252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Fire Punch vs. +2 80 HP / 240 Def Scolipede in Harsh Sunshine: 222-264 (79 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 80 HP / 240 Def Scolipede: 153-181 (54.4 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 80 HP / 240 Def Scolipede: 161-191 (57.2 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. +2 80 HP / 240 Def Scolipede: 307-367 (109.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Spectral Thief
  • Analysis

Smeargle has access to every move in the game as well as Moody, making it a very powerful Pokemon to have on Baton Pass teams despite its terrible BST. Sash allows it to live a guaranteed hit off of the Uber mons/Mega Rayquaza that would easily OHKO it due to its frailness.

I chose Spore to debilitate opponents that I would otherwise not be able to fight properly, like Yveltal, Primal Kyogre, and Life Orb Mega Rayquaza, since most of my team is quite frail without boosts.

Ingrain blocks all attempts at phazing my team. While it is true that Mr. Mime and Espeon together are immune to all phazing moves, Mr. Mime cannot easily set up against several Arceus forms and Primal Groudon, both very common Roar users, and Espeon has no set up moves. Also, Ingrain blocks Red Card.

I chose Spectral Thief for several reasons. First, it counters set up sweepers, especially special attackers, like Geomancy Xerneas and Calm Mind Arceus, which could easily sweep my entire team if their boosts were not dealt with. Also, it frees up a moveslot on Drifblim so I can put Substitute on it, since I no longer need Clear Smog. It kills any Shedinjas that may appear. Lastly, it is very useful when fighting Marshadow, since I can steal my stats back if need be, kill it behind a Substitute with enough Defense drops from using Close Combat, or break its Focus Sash while immune to Marshadow's Spectral Thief.

• EV Explanation

Smeargle needs at least 4 HP and 252 Defense to be guaranteed survival from Lum Berry Adamant Extreme Speed Arceus after Stealth Rocks. However, I raise HP to 20 in order to heal back the damage sustained from switching onto Stealth Rocks in two turns.

This does, of course, mean that my speed will be lowered. I was originally concerned about this, but looking at the AG Speed Tiers, dropping down to 236+ Speed puts me at 269, which is the same speed as Zygarde Complete at 252. This is acceptable because it is unlikely that a Zygarde will ever utilize Power Construct against my team.

• Important Calcs

252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 20 HP / 252 Def Smeargle: 189-223 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I add 3 layers of Spikes to simulate Marshadow placing a Substitute. Marshadow's Defense drops are from Close Combat.
    0 Atk Smeargle Spectral Thief vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 52-62 (16.1 - 19.3%) -- 0.5% chance to 4HKO after 3 layers of Spikes

0 Atk Smeargle Spectral Thief vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 78-92 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO after 3 layers of Spikes

0 Atk Smeargle Spectral Thief vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 102-120 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 3 layers of Spikes

In case Moody is being helpful, Attack may raise.

+2 0 Atk Smeargle Spectral Thief vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 102-120 (31.7 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 3 layers of Spikes
    +2 0 Atk Smeargle Spectral Thief vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Marshadow: 152-180 (47.3 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Minimize
- Substitute
- Defog
  • Analysis

Drifblim is a fairly bulky passer that passes Minimize. Unburden is a powerful ability that allows it to outspeed most of the metagame after eating a Sitrus Berry, including Mega Rayquaza, Mega Gengar, Arceus, and Marshadow. It also passes the bulkiest Substitute in the game; in this case, 122 HP on the Substitute.

Defog is picked to remove hazards such as Stealth Rock, which will break Smeargle's Focus Sash, and Sticky Web, which will lower my Speed by 1 stage every time I use Baton Pass, even when going to Drifblim if I am Ingrained.

Also, since it is a Ghost type, it is immune to Extreme Speed and can switch out even when trapped by, for example, Whirlpool Perish Trap Arceus, Ingrain, or Mega Gengar. Hard switching may be required when playing against Perish Song.

• EV Explanation

8 Speed is needed to outspeed Mega Gengar after Unburden. A minimum of 180 HP and 252+ Defense is needed to survive a Dragon Ascent from Life Orb Adamant Mega Rayquaza. 180 HP was boosted to 188 so that the Sitrus Berry could be eaten after two Substitutes.

• Important Calcs

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 188 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 411-485 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 188 HP / 60 SpD Drifblim: 452-534 (92.6 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 188 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 330-390 (67.6 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 188 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 429-507 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

208+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 188 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 360-424 (73.7 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 188 HP / 60 SpD Drifblim: 394-464 (80.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• Evasion Chart

This is in case anyone makes false accusations of hax. Remember that Minimize gives +2 Evasion.
    +1 = 75% chance to hit = Sleep Powder hits
    +2 = 60% chance to hit = Hypnosis hits
    +3 = 50% chance to hit = You win a speed tie
    +4 = 43% chance to hit ≈ Hypnosis misses
    +5 = 37.5% chance to hit
    +6 = 33.3% chance to hit = Protect works twice in a row

Mr. Mime @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 204 HP / 244 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Taunt
  • Analysis

Originally, when I moved from Ubers to AG, I had Sylveon on my team, as it was a very specially bulky Calm Mind passer. However, I had little to no way of fighting Perish Song. Mr. Mime, with Soundproof, was the answer to that. Unfortunately, it is a very frail Pokemon that dies to both physical and special attackers.

EDIT: Lots and lots of Perish Song in USUM. Mime, paired with Drifblim's ability to hard switch out of Ingrain, is vital to surviving.

I first got this set from Megazard in my previous RMT. It set up Calm Mind for both special bulk and made Stored Power stronger. With Soundproof, it is immune to both Roar and Perish Song, both massive threats to the team. It could lay down Substitutes for Evasion abuse, and could Taunt threats like other Taunt users, Haze, and Heart Swap. However, it was too frail and was 2HKOed by special attackers like Xerneas and Yveltal, while Primal Kyogre would deal over 50% with Thunder. Thus, I removed Leftovers and Replaced it with the Aguav Berry, effectively multiplying its HP pool by 1.5.

Later, Erotic Pigeons told me about the far better Wiki Berry, which I replaced the Aguav Berry with.

• EV Explanation

28 Speed is needed to outspeed Scarfed Xerneas and Yveltal, as well as Deoxys Attack, at +2. 32 Special Defense with 204 HP ensures that a Substitute will survive a Thunder from Primal Kyogre.

The original set had 208 HP and 28 Special Defense. I move a point from HP to Special Defense when I added Aguav/Wiki Berry so that I could eat the berry after 3 uses of Substitute; for example, when abusing Evasion.

• Important Calcs
    252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 204 HP / 32 SpD Mr. Mime: 208-246 (76.4 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 204 HP / 32 SpD Mr. Mime: 189-223 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Thunder vs. +3 204 HP / 32 SpD Mr. Mime: 56-67 (20.5 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Vaporeon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Aqua Ring
- Acid Armor
- Roar
  • Analysis

Vaporeon is a very bulky passer capable of passing defense quickly with Acid Armor. Aqua Ring is capable of giving the team massive regeneration when paired with Ingrain, healing back Substitutes in around two turns. Roar phazes set up sweepers or otherwise dangerous foes if there is no other option. (i.e. Arceus Normal that Smeargle cannot Spectral Thief)

I use Normalium Z on Vaporeon for multiple reasons. First, it allows Vaporeon to Baton Pass through Taunt; it is the slowest Pokemon on the team and thus the weakest against Taunt. Also, Moody tends to drop a lot of important stats such as accuracy; Z Baton Pass clears that up if need be. Vaporeon is the most bulky Pokemon on my team, so it can survive the lack of a survivability item like Leftovers or a berry.

• EV Explanation

40 Speed is needed in order to out speed Deoxys Attack at +3. Because Vaporeon is inherently a special wall but passes defense, I put maximum defense and the rest into HP to make it as bulky as possible physically.

• Important Calcs
    252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 271-319 (59.5 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Thunder vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 352-416 (77.3 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 352-415 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Draco Meteor vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 320-376 (70.3 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 175-207 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Espeon @ Shell Bell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Def / 68 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
  • Analysis

Espeon is my sweeper. It is the Pokemon with the highest base Special Attack that learns both Baton Pass and Stored Power, and also gains access to Magic Bounce to bounce many threats such as Taunt, Roar, and Whirlwind.

Since this team is based off of building stat boosts, Stored Power will reach massive power levels that are easy to underestimate. With +5 Speed from just Protect + Substitute spamming Scolipede down to half health, Stored Power already has 120 base power - the same as powerful moves such as Close Combat and Dragon Ascent. With another boost of speed, it becomes 140, the equivalent to Draco Meteor. In addition, Espeon's Psychic typing gives it STAB boost, making Stored Power hit 1.5 harder.

Dazzling Gleam is used to hit those annoying Dark types that will be immune to Stored Power, such as Yveltal. Substitute, especially when paired with Evasion, gives me a safety net I can rely on in case an opponent uses a priority move like Extreme Speed or Shadow Sneak.

Shell Bell was chosen over the more common Leftovers, mainly due to the sheer amount of healing it provides Espeon. When OHKOing pretty much every opponent, the item will consistently heal around 15% HP, and besides placing Substitutes, attacking will be the only thing Espeon will be doing. This heal will often make the difference when being forced to tank multiple Extreme Speeds from various different opponents. Although some do say that Leftovers are nice to have when placing Substitutes, the massive heal from Shell Bell outweighs it, and Aqua Ring from Vaporeon already acts like Leftovers anyway.

• EV Explanation

8 HP is used to allow Espeon to place four Substitutes without dying, assuming no regeneration is happening. 208 Defense is required to survive an Extreme Speed from Life Orb Arceus.

68+ Special Attack is required to OHKO Mega Gengar at +3 any stat. This is useful when opponents open with a Taunt Gar. The Mental Herb on Scolipede as well as two turns of Protect will gain 3 levels of Speed and a Substitute to be passed to Espeon. Should they predict your switch to Espeon, you have the Substitute as a safety net. You can then proceed to kill Gengar as shown in this replay.

• Important Calcs

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 8 HP / 208 Def Espeon: 190-226 (69.5 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 8 HP / 208 Def Espeon: 200-238 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

192 SpA Espeon Stored Power (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 264-312 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Conclusion
This team has undergone many optimizations. Tell me what you think, and if it can be optimized any further, please let me know.

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 240 Def / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Protect
- Iron Defense

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Spectral Thief

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Minimize
- Substitute
- Defog

Mr. Mime @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 204 HP / 244 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Taunt

Vaporeon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Aqua Ring
- Acid Armor
- Roar

Espeon @ Shell Bell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Def / 68 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute

Last edited:
This team is really fun to use and produces good results a lot of the time ^^

just a slight suggestion of changing the nature of Smeargle from Timid -> Jolly. Just to do a crumble more damage with Spectral Thief, it doesn't have a special move anyway.

This team is really fun to use and produces good results a lot of the time ^^

just a slight suggestion of changing the nature of Smeargle from Timid -> Jolly. Just to do a crumble more damage with Spectral Thief, it doesn't have a special move anyway.
Crap, did I put Timid here? My team on PS has Jolly.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you enjoy using it!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I always have been found of an effective BP team in AG, and this team seems to be one of the best ones i have seen so far. Most of the mons utilized are staples and pretty standard, but the way you went in depth and specific with the EV spread (and even unorthodox item choices) is truly impressive. However, I have one slight suggestion that I believe might make the team even more effective and help one have greater success when laddering with it.

->

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Run Away
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Last Resort
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Substitute

I find that EvoPass Eevee would fit the team better imo thanks to how well it can garner up boosts in a pinch and help start up the BP chains faster. While this change means that you are giving up the bulk that Vaporeon provides to the team (aka makes it more Primal Groudon and SD Arceus weak), Scolipede's use of Iron Defense combined with the +2 in Def and SpDef that Evoboost provides can help alleviate the loss of Acid Armor somewhat. Eevee also provides another Spectral Thief immunity, something that can be well appreciated given how Marshadow can basically neuter the BP chain if Smeargle is not brought in at the right time. While I can see the merit that Vaporeon provides, I personally feel that Eevee might be a better fit in this scenario.

Great RMT!

I always have been found of an effective BP team in AG, and this team seems to be one of the best ones i have seen so far. Most of the mons utilized are staples and pretty standard, but the way you went in depth and specific with the EV spread (and even unorthodox item choices) is truly impressive. However, I have one slight suggestion that I believe might make the team even more effective and help one have greater success when laddering with it.

->

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Run Away
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Last Resort
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Substitute

I find that EvoPass Eevee would fit the team better imo thanks to how well it can garner up boosts in a pinch and help start up the BP chains faster. While this change means that you are giving up the bulk that Vaporeon provides to the team (aka makes it more Primal Groudon and SD Arceus weak), Scolipede's use of Iron Defense combined with the +2 in Def and SpDef that Evoboost provides can help allevite the loss of Acid Armor somewhat. Eevee also provides another Spectral Thief immunity, something that can be well appreciated given how Marshadow can basically neuter the BP chain if Smeargle is not brought in at the right time. While I can see the merit that Vaporeon provides, I personally feel that Eevee might be a better fit in this scenario.

Great RMT!
Really appreciated! Now, I've always been tempted to do Evopass. Unfortunately, like you said, it makes life difficult against physical attacks. PDon is generally a Pokemon I typically avoid with Scolipede when opening, despite guaranteed survival after Iron Defense. This is because Stealth Rocks + Roar can screw over my team, so I typically BP to Smeargle Turn 1 to avoid getting hit by rocks. At this point, Fire Punch/PBlades would destroy my team completely unless I get lucky with Moody or Drifblim, neither of which I would like to depend on.

In addition, removing Vaporeon would mean getting rid of my sole method of getting rid of Swords Dance Normalceus' boosts, leaving me very vulnerable. This would leave me with two choices:
  1. Replace Substitute on Drifblim for Clear Smog. While this could work, Substitute is extremely useful for an Evasion passer, since it's a safety net that can be relied on without having to go to a different mon because they might hit.
  2. Do nothing and hope the Arceus doesn't crit any of its attacks. Remember that Shadow Claw is a high crit ratio move.
I would rather not rely on either of those.

Another threat that would become even worse would be Primal/Scarf Kyogre. With Vaporeon's resistance to Ice Beam and immunity to Water type attacks, it forces Kyogre to have to choose accordingly; Mr. Mime can survive Thunder, so I play around that. Without Vaporeon, the Kyogre can just spam Water attacks until something on my team dies.

Also, the lack of Leftovers in my team is made up for with Aqua Ring. Ingrain on its own cannot do much, and other mons rely on other items that are needed. Being able to heal back a Substitute in two turns is really useful, especially with Evasion, and Aqua Ring is the only way to do it without Leftovers.

On top of that, Z Baton Pass is needed for unlucky Moody drops.

In general, I've found Evopass to be too situational or too demanding of the team to be utilized on mine.

Last edited:
If you were to try to use this team in the doubles format with the same no limitations, how would you do it? I'd expect you to make some changes. Would it be possible to use the same team for both singles and doubles?

If you were to try to use this team in the doubles format with the same no limitations, how would you do it? I'd expect you to make some changes. Would it be possible to use the same team for both singles and doubles?
Doing this with Doubles would be very difficult. This is due to the ability for opponents to target one mon with two attacks; it would be very difficult to survive for long enough to get the required boosts.

With that said, I imagine that I might dedicate two mons or so to building screens or using Follow Me. Smeargle and Mr. Mime would be removed completely, and Amnesia would be added to Drifblim in place of Defog.

This is all speculation, but I think that's along the lines of what I'd do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)