Announcing the UnderUsed Classic I - Discussion Thread

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Thanks to Accelgor for the banner!

Hosts: dodmen Hogg King UU

Welcome, Smogon, to the very first UU Classic! This is the second in our annual UU Tour Circuit where you can test your mettle against the top players in the community. The UnderUsed Classic is a chance to celebrate the history of the UnderUsed tier through the generations. Participants will compete in separate UU tournaments for the ADV, BW and DPP generations, culminating in playoffs and finals where players must compete in all three generations for the chance at winning a UU Tour Winner banner. Additionally, players who make playoffs will be awarded points that will count towards the Smogon Championship of 2017.

This tournament format should be familiar to anyone who has participated in Smogon's Grand Slam or Classic tournaments. The format consists of three separate tournaments: the BW UU Cup, the DPP UU Cup and the ADV UU Cup. Each participant will earn points for how far they advance in each Cup, following the same point system used in Grand Slam and other tours (see here for more details). When all three cups have been completed, the top eight players with the most points will advance to the play-offs. There they will compete in a best-of-three series consisting of all three generations until we have an undisputed Smogon UnderUsed Classic Champion.

Signups for the first Cup go up on January 1, 2017, with each Cup staggered by a week:
  • BW UU Cup, hosted by dodmen - January 1, 2017
  • DPP UU Cup, hosted by GrilledClawitzer - January 8, 2017
  • ADV UU Cup, hosted by Pearl - January 15, 2017
If you have any questions or concerns about the format, or predictions about the tour, please post them here!

Expect this tour to deliver many great matches between the top UU players in the community, and I'm sure we'll see both old faces and new returning to these tiers. Good luck to all the participants :)

Signups for the first Cup will be posted on Sunday, 1 January in the Circuit Tournaments forum.

HYPE!

As Round 1 of BW UU Cup is already underway, we are looking forward to DPP UU Cup. Sign-ups will go live on Sunday, and we are ready for some exciting matches. If you want to prepare for the action, there are several threads that are worth checking out: the DPP UU part of the oldgens hub features sample teams and a viability ranking, the UUPL Replays thread allows you a glimpse into the world of DPP UU as you can see some titans of the tier conduct battle, and if you just want to read a "discussion" between players who competed in this tier when it was a bit more relevant, last year's week 7 of SPL might warrant a look! (the drama starts on page 4).

Will old-time legend Bluewind magically appear and tear through the competition? Will this year's UUPL sensation Amaroq make a splash? Will someone not on the radar step up to the plate and take it? Let's find out, starting Sunday, in the first ever iteration of the DPP UU Cup!

Last edited:
I have to say I'm (pleasantly) surprised there were more sign ups for the DPP UU Cup than the BW UU Cup. I expected each subsequent cup to have fewer sign ups. Hopefully this positive trend continues for the ADV UU Cup!

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
I lost in BW round one sadface.

Seeing lots of Victini and a good amount of Flygon. Snorlax still high even though Chandelure was banned, guess it just doesn't have to run crunch now. Lots of Nidoqueen too, great mon with a ton of options offensively and as a support.

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
We can't do something like this agian soon, and this time give me a heads up? thank you

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We can't do something like this again soon, and this time give me a heads up? thank you
We announced it in advance and unfortunately we simply don't have the time to send individuals personal invitations to the tournament. Click the 'Watch Thread' button or check Smogon regularly in order to stay informed on our tours. We have a Tournament Schedule Thread where we announce our tours so be sure to check that often. We also post tweets when we announce these tournaments.

Reactions: Ark

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
We announced it in advance and unfortunately we simply don't have the time to send individuals personal invitations to the tournament. Click the 'Watch Thread' button or check Smogon regularly in order to stay informed on our tours. We have a Tournament Schedule Thread where we announce our tours so be sure to check that often. We also post tweets when we announce these tournaments.
Haha that part was a joke, sorry for wasting your time with that. The real question was if there will be anything similar in the near future? And if so, will it by any chance include BW2 UU ?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Though this is the first, UU Classic is intended to become a part of UU's annual circuit tours, so there will be another one during next year's circuit (and will almost certainly retain BW UU at a tier).

If you're itching to play in the meantime, I'm sure there will occasionally be smaller subforum tours that involve BW UU (such as the UU Generations tour that recently concluded), so check the forums often. I also run roomtours for BW UU fairly frequently in the PS! UU room, so make sure to check it out there.

Foggi

Banned deucer.
So like im not sure why but on the spreadsheet people who are in round5 of dpp uu cup already got their points for reaching it while i still have 3 points from dpp cup on the spreadsheet even tho im in round6, i think there has been a mistake or some misunderstanding and i hope this gets solved.

Reactions: hyw

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Playoffs are up! Follow them here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/underused-classic-i-playoffs.3598688/

After three Cups, the breakdown for the top 8 is as follows:

1. KratosMana
2. Level 56
3. M Dragon (tied in points for third, 81.82% win ratio)
4. Malekith (tied in points for third, 80% win ratio)
5. ABR (tied in points for third, 76.92% win ratio)
6. Chill Shadow (tied in points for third, 75% win ratio)
7. Kushalos (tied in points for third, 72.73% win ratio)
8. THREE WAY TIE: PDC // Star // FLCL

There have already been some fantastic games this tour, and I expect we've got more in store for playoffs. Who's your favorite to win it all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)